The General Videogame Thread

+
I'm getting sucked into the genre of weird psychedelic walking simulators. I tried Dear Esther yesterday, and now have a go at Mind - Path to Thalamus, then The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, then maybe The Void.

sv3672;n7817480 said:
While those games do not necessarily undersell specifically because of Denuvo, there has not been much evidence yet that Denuvo particularly improves sales, either. In any case, I did avoid such titles myself so far. And those publishers that tend to use Denuvo are often also ones that are not very supportive of the PC platform in general (given that they view its users as pirates), so their releases could be badly optimized (Dishonored 2), buggy, tied to unpopular DRM clients like Origin or Uplay (Titanfall 2), or be poorly received for other reasons. These are all symptoms of the same problem, publishers forcing their corporate policies on developers, and the quality of the game suffering as the result.

Titanfall 2 low sales, despite high praise it received, are definitely the mix of the first game making it to the many "most disappointing lists", which effectively constrained a lot of hype for the sequel and EA almost completely ignoring the marketing for the game in favor of Battlefield 1 and choosing the worst possible release date for FPS with heavy multiplayer focus (around the time when both Call of Duty and Battlefield were released). Taking all those conditions under consideration, Denuvo influence was minimal at best.

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n7812660 said:
I'm still playing Owlboy. The pixel art there is outstanding. And the story is pretty good.

Looks really good, wishlisted! Do you play with keyboard and mouse?

I recently tried to play Guacamelee, another interesting platformer, but playing with keyboard was extremely awkward, almost physically painful.

I replayedexperienced Dear Esther, in the new landmark edition. They changed the complete engine, from Source to Unity 5. The game looks absolutely the same, yet the new version runs decidedly worse - heavy, single stutters every few seconds, and a blinking black square exactly in the center of the screen (where the optional crosshair would appear). I'd like to her the dev commentary, but putting up with the technical inadequacies again is a high price for it.

M4xw0lf;n7819840 said:
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

I have been thinking about this. Sadly I don't have that much time to play at the moment and other good games are coming, but if you play this some day, please let me know if it's worth playing :)

Hello Gamers, Developers, name is DesFrSpace.

Since around 2013, I have participated in single player and online game. Fair share of offline gaming and bunch of online games. Note: Not the big title hard-core because I would not be able to play them all in short time, as in literal completion of the game and having everything.
My experience with single player so far: Requiring validation for every play is absurd an abomination. Modding, skins, and bots are goods.
Very unfortunate for most online game: Very grindy, some missing story line, much limitation and "realism" and features going overboard.

I am some what picky person, outright blunt or joking, well that is all, have good one.
Reply:
Arvuti;n2816943 said:
The point of Pokemon Go

I agree, 100 bucks is quite a charge for phone game, online MMO, costing 5~100 would be some what legit.
But there is are fine lines that should not be crossed, and some things are just outrageous.
Still it should not ruin a good gamer's ability to try it or decide for themselves.

Last edited:
Sunsibar;n7827740 said:
I have been thinking about this. Sadly I don't have that much time to play at the moment and other good games are coming, but if you play this some day, please let me know if it's worth playing :)

Will do. :smile:

volsung;n7826800 said:
Looks really good, wishlisted! Do you play with keyboard and mouse?

I recently tried to play Guacamelee, another interesting platformer, but playing with keyboard was extremely awkward, almost physically painful.

Yes, I'm playing with keyboard and mouse. It works OK, though a few places were quite hard, and I wonder if using controller could make it easier. But most of the time, coming up with the right dodging strategy was the key.

Owlboy is more of an adventure game, though it's leaning towards arcade platformer side as well. Especially boss battles. Here is a nice review.

I did encounter games which are insanely hard with keyboard and mouse, and I'm almost sure, controller would make it more tolerable. For example Maldita Castilla.

Last edited:
Sunsibar;n7827740 said:

First impressions: it looks good, runs well enough on my Nano at 4k ( ;) ), and has an interesting, engaging mystery plot. Scared me quite a bit two times so far. If you don't have a lot of time on your hands, I definitely recommend making use of a guide or walkthrough, or you'll probably end up doing quite a bit of pointless running around and needless backtracking. The game tells you in the beginning it won't hold your hand, and that's completely true. Consequent to a fault, sometimes.

M4xw0lf;n7845890 said:
First impressions: it looks good, runs well enough on my Nano at 4k ( ;) ), and has an interesting, engaging mystery plot. Scared me quite a bit two times so far. If you don't have a lot of time on your hands, I definitely recommend making use of a guide or walkthrough, or you'll probably end up doing quite a bit of pointless running around and needless backtracking. The game tells you in the beginning it won't hold your hand, and that's completely true. Consequent to a fault, sometimes.

Oh, I don't know what I thought, but I didn't realize that there were horror elements too! That sounds good :)

Sega's running a weird little promotion right now, and they've emailed me a couple Steam codes from it for stuff I already have or can't use. Two old Genesis/Mega Drive games and one add-on for Endless Legend, more specifically. Maybe someone else can make use of them.

Shining Force: 5GMHA-IWJMG-FECQG

Golden Axe 2 - 64HRY-TBZMK-04FRQ

Endless Legend - Echoes of Auriga Add-on (requires the base game) - 25DMC-PC2CY-CACJ6

Sunsibar;n7847340 said:
Oh, I don't know what I thought, but I didn't realize that there were horror elements too! That sounds good :)

I already finished it, probably took me no longer than 5 hours. Very sad ending. :(
I'd say it's worth a look, even though it is limited in length and gameplay (you basically do the same stuff 5 times, then it ends).

M4xw0lf;n7862680 said:
I already finished it, probably took me no longer than 5 hours. Very sad ending. :(
I'd say it's worth a look, even though it is limited in length and gameplay (you basically do the same stuff 5 times, then it ends).

5 hours??? I should be able to find time for that :D Did you use any guides when playing (and that's why it was short) or did you just go with the flow (and it was still short)?

Sunsibar;n7862790 said:
5 hours??? I should be able to find time for that :D Did you use any guides when playing (and that's why it was short) or did you just go with the flow (and it was still short)?

The 5 hours is just an estimate, I played the GoG-version without using Galaxy, so I don't have any logged numbers. I think 5 hours is pretty close. And that contained some backtracking and a lot of useless searching on one occasion - with a proper guide you can beat the game in 2-3 hours for sure.

(Seems my estimates are quite accurate: https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=21142)

Last edited:
eskiMoe;n7958970 said:
Not exactly surprising since afaik, DOOM and Dota 2 are the only high profile games that use it. Fingers crossed for CP2077.

That probably will start rapidly changing this year, since Unity will enable stable Vulkan support next month already in Unity 5.6 release. See https://blogs.unity3d.com/2017/02/28...-2017-keynote/

I suppose full Vulkan support in Unreal will be somewhat later, but hopefully this year too. There are a few key pending items still:

https://trello.com/c/j1osB9SS/787-vulkan-support-for-sm5-features
https://trello.com/c/Cf0btpIb/785-vulkan-support-for-parallel-rendering-deferred-contexts
https://trello.com/c/yBXenTgw/801-linux-vulkan-support

Last edited:
Top Bottom