Playing traditional adventure games

+
Hi Fans!

Thanksgiving is here and that brings up a long-awaited gift!
We have modified this version to let you play as much as possible. You can walk through each room, look at all items and find all Easter eggs.

Thank you for your huge support!
Thank you for your petition signatures!
Thank you for your help on this project!
We couldn't make it without YOU! You ROCK!

Please share it! Make it viral! Enjoy it as much as we do!

Download button:
http://went2play.com/fate-of-atlantis-se
facebook.com/fateofatlantisSE

With the smell of burning asphalt hanging staunchly in the air we’re proud to announce that we’ll be remastering Tim Schafer’s classic LucasArts adventure game Full Throttle!

Following speedily in the still-smoking-tyre-tracks of the Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle Remastered editions, Full Throttle Remastered will complete the trilogy of Tim’s games from LucasArts that we’ve been given the chance to restore. Just like those games, we will make a Remaster with the quality, care and attention to detail that can only come from involving the original creators.

Full Throttle Remastered will feature all new artwork, with high resolution backgrounds and animation, with each frame being repainted by hand. We’ll be aiming to restore the sound and music to a higher quality, and we’ll also fill the game with special features like concept artwork, commentary tracks and as many other things as we can think of!

Full Throttle Remastered will be coming to PC & PlayStation platforms in 2017!
doublefine.com

I just finished playing Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow Comes Today. It was shorter than I expected but it turns out it's the first part of a series of Dead Synchonicity games.

At first I didn't know what to think since the voice acting is subpar (think Saturday morning cartoons) and the writing/dialogues are quite often very cheesy, but it turns out it has a lot of detail (many different, specific responses to different interactions) and the story (the message), despite the writing (choice of words), is very interesting and refreshing.

The themes are also very adult, by which I mean the world is cruel, tragic and somewhat gory. It has references to alcoholism, sexual abuse, fascist political manipulation, loss, despair, and a bit of hope, all wrapped up in a fictional setting at the end of times.

The one thing that stands out is it's almost perfect real-world logic used in puzzles and problem solving. Many adventure games introduce some silly internal logic or rely on trial and error and/or pixel hunting to get to the right solutions. Some like the LucasArts SCUMM games use a wacky, funny but consistent internal logic, whereas others (recently tried Teenagent, free on GOG) are completely nonsensical and arbitrary. In Dead Synchronicity though I spent more time thinking how to solve problems using real-world reasoning than frantically combining objects or trying them on things. That, I think, was especially cool.

This game like many other good, modern adventure games is published by Daedalic. I'm looking forward to the next in the series.

Last edited:
The Lost Eden was released on GOG. I've never played it, but it looks pretty good. Does anyone has any impressions?

In 2013 I came to you with an idea to create an isometric adventure game set a on spaceship with a horrific atmosphere. With your gracious support, together we raised over $ 130K. I used those funds to create STASIS which went on to be Adventure Game of the Year. It was this awesome community that made STASIS a reality.

I am going to use isometric art to tell a story set in a post-apocalyptic 'afrodora'. I know that BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION is going to be an adventure game unlike anything you have seen before...
I want you to join me on this journey!

BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION is an isometric post-apocalyptic adventure game.

A tragic incident tears apart a brotherly bond but is also the catalyst for an epic adventure that spans from the 1980s and beyond.

Gameplay:
youtube.com/watch?v=znybWawsJ_4

Design Featurette:
youtube.com/watch?v=hbtN0qiJRu0

Photogrammetry Featurette:
youtube.com/watch?v=Ya_loZo-okk

Promo:
youtube.com/watch?v=Njw-brw_35A

Cinematic:
youtube.com/watch?v=0iZu6CDwoO4

Quick Facts:
  • Point-and-click adventure game
  • 80s retro technology look and feel
  • A story set in a post-apocalyptic future
  • 2D isometric, detailed rendered environments
  • African landscapes captured with photogrammetry
  • Extensive use of miniatures and scale model elements
  • Unique tribal punk aesthetic
  • Bizarre creatures and animals, and vibrant characters
  • From the creators of STASIS and CAYNE

What makes Beautiful Desolation special?
  • A never before seen African post-apocalyptic setting.
  • A dramatic science fiction story inspired, in both look and design, by the 80s, with a futuristic twist.
  • Explore a beautiful wasteland to discover villages, destroyed cities, and uncover the secrets of strange and abandoned technology.
  • A synth inspired soundtrack.
  • Multiple characters and companions.
  • A classic adventure game whereby you solve puzzles, combine and use items, discover clues and work your way through an epic story.
kickstarter.com/projects/bischoff/beautiful-desolation-isometric-post-apocalyptic-ad

Last edited:
[h=1]Release: CAYNE + Deluxe Content[/h]

The birthplace of true horror.

CAYNE, a dark isometric story set in the twisted sci-fi universe of STASIS, is now available for FREE on GOG.com!

The baby is on its way. Hadley never wanted it, but now someone else does - very badly. Banging on the blood-caked walls of this ghastly facility won't help her escape. No, she must manipulate strange machinery and endure horrific trials to end this nightmare.

Delve deeper into the disturbing world of CAYNE with the Deluxe Content pack, which includes exclusive 4K wallpapers, the Screenplay, and the soundtrack, both in mp3 and FLAC format.

The Deluxe Content pack is 25% off until February 8, 2:00 PM UTC and STASIS is 60% off during that time.

gog.com/news/release_cayne_deluxe_content

Pre-order: Full Throttle Remastered

Looking for Adventure and whatever comes our way.

Full Throttle Remastered, the bombastic return of the heavy-metal point & click legend, is now available for pre-order exclusively on GOG.com, with a 20% pre-order discount!

When the Polecats hit the road, they're indestructible. No one can stop them. But they try.

Now the gang has gotten into some serious trouble, and it's up to their stoic leader Ben to outrun explosions, rough up some tough guys, and lay waste to a bunch of mechanical bunnies.

To celebrate the game's return, creator Tim Schafer will be joining us for a special Twitch stream on Friday, March 17, 7PM UTC. Get your desktops dressed for the occasion, with the mighty fine wallpapers available soon as a pre-order bonus.

Additionally, there's a rad Double Fine Sale going on, with games like Day of the Tentacle Remastered, Brütal Legend, Broken Age, Psychonauts, and more going for up to 90% off.

The Sale ends on March 19, 11PM UTC.

gog.com/news/preorder_full_throttle_remastered

Release: Thimbleweed Park

A night to remember.

Thimbleweed Park, a delightfully surreal point & click adventure by the creators of Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion, is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com!

This murder, it really ties the town together, man. A town already haunted by dark secrets and built on sins. Now five eccentric individuals will start poking around, each for their own reasons. Little do they know that they've become the unwitting catalysts for a fateful night full of bizarre events, brain-twisting puzzles, and weaponised sarcasm.

For some additional insight, check out our interview with Ron Gilbert, the mind behind Thimbleweed Park and a few other classics you may have heard of.

gog.com/news/release_thimbleweed_park

I'd like to recommend/remind everyone about The Dream Machine: an episodic, mystery meets sci-fi adventure game made by a tiny studio using only cardboard models and stopmotion animation. After many years, the final episode is out and the game is at last complete. I haven't played episode 6 yet though, and I am considering replaying it from the beginning anyway since they have updated or improved many aspects of the game since I last played it. If you're the type of adventure gamer that likes to read and scrutinize every detail and do not look up a walkthrough as soon as you hit a wall, the game will easily last around 20 or more hours (don't know how long the last episode is) which is pretty long by adventure game standards.

Fully recommended. It's a shame it's only on Steam at the moment. I hope it comes to GOG now that it's complete.

Sounds intriguing, especially the cardboard stop-motion part.
But yeah... no gog, no buy.

As far as I'm concerned Thimbleweed Park did give the old point&click adventure itch quite the scratching anyway, and I don't feel particularly inclined to pick up another one anytime soon.

Recently replayed Telltale's Sam & Max (season 1), this time with my wife, and we had such a great time. So I started thinking, yet again, what the hell happened to Telltale? And why did they stop making Sam & Max games? They even pulled out all their Sam & Max merch (I still have a Max & Crossbones t-shirt somewhere in storage). Problems with Purcell?

Modern Telltale games are OK, but they all feel so serious and sometimes, pretentious. I did like The Wolf Among Us and TWD, but their older games feel much more honest and play much more like traditional adventures. Modern Telltale games are like interactive TV dramas.

Maybe Steve Purcell could team up with some other company and create a new game... Double Fine perhaps?

A little update on The Dream Machine: finally completed it, after so many years. I think I started it in 2013. It's essentially an art project from two guys in Sweden. The visuals are amazing from a photographic perspective, lots of detail on every single scene. The animation is very simplistic however. The dialogues are all well written but there is no voice acting. Overall chapters 1 through 5 are excellent: intriguing, creepy, mysterious. Chapter 6 sadly didn't live up to our (the wife's and mine) expectations. The story takes a strange turn that makes it feel forced and rushed, despite the (small) team taking literally years to complete the last two chapters. Near the very last part, the game forces us to take actions some might find disturbing. I see that bit as "offering an experience that happens to be uncomfortable", others might simply find it grotesque. It is a sensitive topic. Regardless, there's too much expectation built up in the previous 5 chapters and number 6 simply isn't what we hoped for. This is sad because the game is, otherwise, excellent. But an epilogue and ending can greatly affect the overall perception of a game, validating or invalidating our commitment and/or actions.

What I think in general is there should be more games like this. I would love it if this team came up with another game. BUT: they need to work full time, they need decent funding, they need better animators, they need to use proper game development tools (not Flash), and they need to release their games on GOG + multi OS support. This is the crowd that will support their work.

Anyway, play it if you get a chance. This is both a recommendation and a warning.

Last edited:
I'm playing Noctropolis. It's a native Linux release by Nightdive (with some parts like music remastered). Yeah, native, not DosBox wrapped. As icculus put it:

Here's what you need to know about Noctropolis: it was originally an MS-DOS game, written 100% in x86 assembly code.

Here's what you need to know about Nightdive: instead of shipping this in DOSBox or something, they rewrote the assembly to be portable, 64-bit clean C++11. Nightdive is hardcore like you wouldn't _believe_.

I've never even heard about this game before, but so far it's interesting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom