Now playing [music]

+
I normally make a new CD for new seasons in my car. This is my one for spring this year:

1. Love You Madly - Cake
2. Maria - A.L.O.
3. The General - Dispatch
4. There There - Radiohead
5. Tombstone Blues - Bob Dylan
6. Ragged Wood - Fleet Foxes
[video=youtube;0-CEfY9CDLw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-CEfY9CDLw[/video]
7. Closer to Fine - Indigo Girls
8. Babel - Mumford and Sons
9. Ho Hey! - The Lumineers
10. The Wind - Cat Stevens
11. Road Outside Columbus - O.A.R.
12. Mrs. Potters Lullaby - Counting Crows
13. When I Come Around - Green Day
14. Salute Your Solution - The Racounters
15. That's What You Get - Paramour
16. Silence - Gomez
17. Blinded by the Light - Bruce Springsteen
18. Bar Lights - Whiskeytown (stops at 3:45 on disc)
19. Everyday - Dave Matthews Band

Does anyone remember what were the first songs/song that got you interested about music?

My sisters used to listen to these songs, when I was less than 10 years old. If I remember correctly. Only Alice Cooper can still be found from my CD stand, but those other two haven't been my favorites in ages. But back then those were all super good :p

The first two albums I remember really feeling affected by were August and Everything After by the Counting Crows (1993) & Dookie by Green Day (1994). I liked a lot of punk and Ska (Rancid, the Mighty MIghty Bosstones, the Clash, Real Big Fish, The Offspring, Blink 182, Save's the Day, Sum 41, etc) though the early 2000s. Then I started listening to some older rock music and discovered folk and folk-rock, which has been my favorite genre since.

Rawls;n8398910 said:
folk-rock

Simply yes.

Sunsibar;n8395420 said:
Does anyone remember what were the first songs/song that got you interested about music?

My Da was an odd one, he was a Gothy Metalhead back in the 80's then in the 90's he became a complete Hippy. So I grew up with Sisters of Mercy, The Mission UK, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Pantera, Judas Priest etc. Along with the Levellers and the Dubliners and an absolute ton of Reggae.

But personally I was a little stubborn as a child. Late 90's & early 2000's pop (So embarrassing) is what I started with before realising I secretly adored all of it - Other than my brief chavy phase I never really got into rap/hip-hop however, RNB was more my thing.

Last edited:
Sunsibar;n8395420 said:
Don't remember the exact songs but it was late 90s/early 00s. RHCP, RATM, Audioslave, P.O.D, Papa Roach, Limp Bizkit etc. Good times. :)

TootyNooty;n8398980 said:
Other than my brief chavy phase I never really got into rap/hip-hop however, RNB was more my thing.
It took me over 15 years to get into Hip-hop and now I can't get enough of it. That being said, I still don't like much of the current hip hop scene mostly because I generally prefer the use of live instruments and apart from a couple of producers (like Madlib & Knxwledge) software beats generally leave me a bit cold.

But speaking of live instruments in hip-hop:

and great software beats:

Last edited:
Sunsibar;n8395420 said:

Music was always present in the household growing up, mainly 80s synth pop as my dad was a huge fan. The thing that really got me into music was probably a mix of the movie High Fidelity coupled with punk bands akin to The Hives back in the early 2000s. But nowadays I'll listen to pretty much anything that I deem sounds good, punk, metal, folk, chiptune and synth featuring quite often on my day to day playlists.

Some Hives to close up the post. ;)

On a different note - a Lithuanian band that I've discovered recently. Have to say I dig them quite a bit.

[EDIT] Oh the anti double posting feature is gone as well? My bad.

Kinley;n8408490 said:
High Fidelity
I loved that movie in high school. Loved it. To this day, I generally follow Rob Gordon's rules for making a good mixtape/CD -
The first three tracks of my list on the last page follows it. Start with a killer (Love you Madly by Cake). Take it up a notch (Maria is probably one of my 20 favorite songs ever) and then cool it off a notch with a nice folk jam The General.

Last edited:
Rawls;n8408700 said:
I loved that movie in high school. Loved it.
Oh man, you have no idea. High Fidelity is my religion.

Rawls;n8408700 said:
To this day, I generally follow Rob Gordon's rules for making a good mixtape/CD -
Same here, same here.

There ARE a lot of rules!

Plus that ending song. Godammit it's taking me back and I just want to sit here and reminisce but I need to get ready for woooork.

eskiMoe;n8400240 said:
It took me over 15 years to get into Hip-hop and now I can't get enough of it. That being said, I still don't like much of the current hip hop scene mostly because I generally prefer the use of live instruments and apart from a couple of producers (like Madlib & Knxwledge) software beats generally leave me a bit cold.

I tried listening to that new Kendrick Lamar album (My flatmate loves him) but it's just not for me. On the other hand, I didn't realise that Mastodon had released a new album... It's great! Haven't been able to turn it off all day, great for exercise.

TootyNooty;n8409980 said:
I tried listening to that new Kendrick Lamar album (My flatmate loves him) but it's just not for me.
Damn is a lackluster album, which is a shame since To Pimp a Butterfly was a flipping amazing album. Insanely groovy with lots of live instruments and featuring artists like George Clinton, Thundercat and The Isley Brothers. But yeah, music is subjective, and you can't please everyone etc.

Last edited:
Ordered a couple of vinyl records few days back. Ajattara's Lupaus and Moonsorrow's Jumalten Aika.

I didn't even know that these guys were playing again (band broke down few years ago), but apparently they are, since the new album is coming.

I'm still not quite sure what to think about this song. It was a bit surprising but music itself is great. Just... I was never a fan of mixed roaring and singing. Do this or that, but not both at the same time.

Last edited:
Since I feel a bit nostalgic and others also shared the development of their musical taste... Here comes my history. You already saw the very beginning (if we don't count children's songs), so here comes the rest of it. Loooong list of everything coming!

When I was a kid, I used to listen pretty much everything I could find. My parent's weren't that interested about music, but they had something I could listen.

There was also that obligatory boy band phase! Ressu Redford, Neon 2 and of course... New Kids On The Block. Spiced up with some girl power and Raptori. After that came Guns 'n' Roses, which started to push me towards my current favorites.

My early teen years were pretty much filled with Def Leppard, White Snake, Kiss, WASP, AC/DC, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Offspring, Greenday, Alice In Chains and stuff. (Yeah, how very original :p ) At some point, I started listening bands like Sepultura and Pantera.

Then I met my first boyfriend and he introduced me to bands like Stratovarius, Manowar and Nightwish. (Okay, sorry for missing links from now on, but my computer refuses to play any music from any source... And I'm tired of restarting it all the time) I sailed pretty long in these two latest phases.

When I was getting closer to my 30's, I found black/death/doom/folk metal. And there I am now. Let's see what comes next :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom