How far is Cyberpunk from reality?

+
How far is Cyberpunk from reality?

I ll start off with a video.

After seeing this, imagine what could humanity accomplish after 50 years of bio-technology (which is when C77 is situated).

What should we expect? How far from reality is really Cyberpunk and how close would CDPR and Mike Pondsmith would get from the future (maybe day and night, but its interesting to question)?

Interesting question!
Bio-technology is actually not really a futuristic idea anymore since more and more Scientist and Doctors work on it to accomplish the idea of making Humans "immortal"
But that's something also Deus Ex was already about!

But well, there is not much information about Cyberpunk sadly! But i guess we can be sure that it will have some influence from Deus Ex, maybe it will even concentrate a little bit on the same Topic as Deus Ex! We don't know!

I hope that they will soon release more information about Cyberpunk 2077

there is already high technology where the life quality is low, so basicaly, we are already starting the cyberpunk age,
besides, within the next few years cyberpunk 2077 comes out, people will play it, like it, and become more interested in that culture and it will accelerate the process :p

there is already high technology where the life quality is low, so basicaly, we are already starting the cyberpunk age,
besides, within the next few years cyberpunk 2077 comes out, people will play it, like it, and become more interested in that culture and it will accelerate the process :p

True!

I am not sure if the cyberpunk age will be good or bad...for us Human? Will it take away our Humanity?

True!

I am not sure if the cyberpunk age will be good or bad...for us Human? Will it take away our Humanity?
that is difficult to answer, but i think it depends on us, if we hold on to our humanity or we give it up for endless augmentations and upgrades in an endless competition,
we will have to save ourselves
if you ask me i don't think i'll replace any of my body parts, but i'm rady for that cyberpunk ambience and environment

that is difficult to answer, but i think it depends on us, if we hold on to our humanity or we give it up for endless augmentations and upgrades in an endless competition,
we will have to save ourselves
if you ask me i don't think i'll replace any of my body parts, but i'm rady for that cyberpunk ambience and environment

Ye, i wouldn't replace any of my body parts either i guess, i mean only in the worst case maybe, if i had to replace my leg or something else i lost cuz of an Injuy idk!

Wow that video was fucking stupid.

on a more positive note, we are light years away from Cyberpunks tech, metal doesn't play nice with flesh, replacing the skeletal system would probably just kill you. it's like it was fiction or something.

settings wise we feel closer than ever.

Back in the early 80's when CP2020 was being written biotech was in it's infancy, they were still trying to map chromosones. These days some truly astounding things are happening in the laboratories. But the real question is ... will it be commercially viable and affordable?
Just because something can be done in a lab doesn't mean it's going to become commonplace anytime soon.

Ooh, I can shamelessly plug shit in this thread!

Check out this subreddit. I've been working on it and others for a while as a means of creating a new visual style, and in the process I've managed to convince people that we do indeed live in The Future™. There are other subreddits to mention, of course. My favorite is /r/ThisIsTheWayItWillBe, run by an actual expert in machine learning.

We are already living in cyberpunk age, why do you guys need a computer for this? I guess that covers the OP's question.

Jokes aside, it's not far. In fact, the only 'far' "thing" is medicine. We as civilization still can't build full 'borgs and swap organs with synthetic (or even mechanical) copies as easy as Cyberpunk 2020 world can. Medicine and CP2020's space program is 10+ years ahead of ours. Blame the fall of USSR for latter.

Setting-wise, Russia enters the cyberpunk era, while the rest of the world hits 1984 more likely than ever. Enjoy your stay.

Last edited:
I feel like before we can get to the point of having cybernetic limbs and body augmentations there needs to be a giant leap forward in nanotechnology. Once nanotech is perfected the sky is the limit on so many fronts.

polish grant ends in 2019 so we could assume thats the earliest it would come out. but i definitely think CB will dominate E3 2018, who publishes CDPR games btw?

They publish them themselves.
One of the many reasons their games don't suck, they don't have an E/A type organization breathing down their necks.

It's been posted on here before, but...

http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2017/01/top-signs-were-living-in-cyberpunk.html
  1. From Robocop. "OCP traditionally dabbled in not for profit industries like healthcare, prisons, and space travel." All of which are now common works.
  2. Hacktivist anarchist groups out to bring down government and corporate conspiracies actually exist.
  3. Underground journalists and leakers are actually the biggest threat to First World security in the opinion of the Powers that be.
  4. The FBI hired hackers to open a terrorist's phone.
  5. The entirety of Enron was black comedy Frank Miller couldn't have written. For example: They fixed the California elections to put a action movie star in as governor while simultaneously shutting down half the state's power plants to create an artificial energy shortage. This while they were bankrupt from hiding all of their losses for a decade. That's some Shadowrun stuff right there.
  6. The governments bailed out all the megacorps for gross financial stupidity.
  7. The world's largest mercenary company, G4, does a large number of the West's prison system as well as corporate security.
  8. Bionic limbs created by 3D printers are real. The latter because people can't afford the metal ones.
  9. News networks (take your pick) exist as for profit entities catering to the whim of their audience's bias.
  10. A reality TV show star and billionaire is the President after a guy who favored unlimited surveillance and use of assassination robots.
  11. The fact unlimited surveillance exists and was used to help American corporations in deals.
  12. The fact assassination robots exist.
  13. The fact you can buy non-lethal versions of many assassination robots online.
  14. A cellphone sized computer can be a weapon.
  15. Phones and computers can be plugged into your head, albeit through your ears.
  16. Detroit, as in Robocop 2, alas did actually declare bankruptcy. They also built a statue of Robocop because, unironically, they really wished they had one.
  17. The world's eighth largest pyramid is a Bass Pro Shop in Tennessee.
  18. The working class pay 95% of all taxes versus 5% by corporations when it was reversed in the Forties.
  19. It's possible to buy a carbon fiber katana over the internet. Ditto mirror shades and a bullet proof trench coat--all shipped to you overnight.
  20. The police now have Special Forces units in every city and many places have them driving APCs as well as tanks.
  21. Social media resulted in spontaneous revolutions in several Arab countries. The crackdowns were pretty damn awful to say the least.
  22. Virtual Reality is a thing with actual games being shipped for it.
  23. Mass data mining occurs just to find out what you would buy from a online store and why.
  24. Amazon has sold dumb AI for your house and Microsoft has done the same for your computer.
  25. China is now the predominate economic power in the world due to how much leverage it has over the United States.
  26. The Soviet Union may have fallen but we're back to Russians making sinister plans to take over the world, only now with computer hackers.
  27. Electric self-driving cars exist but no one uses them versus oil guzzling military-looking ones.
  28. The world's largest environmental disaster was paid for in fines which left the oil company fine.
  29. It's impossible to tax most trans-national corporations due to their multinational nature.
  30. Criminal syndicates with ties to terrorism have forced governments to treat with them.
  31. Global warming has reached the point of "so obvious it's flooding cities" while corporations still foster people denying it.
  32. Countries have places where there's not enough to eat or a central government but citizens possess Ipods.
  33. A wetworks black ops against Iran's nuclear program was conducted entirely by hackers.
  34. People have died playing video games because they didn't stop long enough to pee.
  35. North Korea may have attacked America's movie industry with computer sabotage.
  36. The fact mercenary-for-hire criminal hackers is an actual profession. They even have names based on what kind of hat they wear.
  37. The fact artificial worlds people live much of their lives in are common pastimes online now.
  38. The fact some postage is now being delivered by flying robots.
  39. The fact individuals are still trying to make artificial islands to be lawless tax-free corporate states. Double points that these invariably become scams to bilk investors.
  40. All of this is actually right on time for 2020.

Top Bottom