Combat system

+
Suhiira;n10257222 said:
If you wish to assume improbable technical advances then sure, absolutely anything is possible, may as well include transporters and FTL travel.
Of course there will be some unexpected advances. CP2020 totally missed smart phones and the scope of the internet. But fundamental changes? We still drive cars, we still have tons of paper in offices, we still use (often the exact same) firearms available 50 years ago. Yeah the word processor has replaced the typewriter and we have WiFi but fundamentally things aren't that different then the 1950's. It not like the change from say 1850 to 1900; flintlocks to machineguns, horses to cars, almost aircraft (the Wrights flew in 1903).

Again, it's nearly impossible to prove a negative, so anything you wish to assume may be possible.
I'll stick to the probable.

Whats improbable about it? There is no fundamental change from what is possible right now. Its just a matter of scale.

There are already AI trained to identify common firearms. (currently limited commercial security use, unsure on military use)
There are already systems that can identify firing location from a single shot(military, police, security, etc).
There are already AI designed to identify humans and their movements.(Autonomous cars, Facebook, governments, etc)
There are already systems for calculating ballistic trajectories. (military use, hunting, etc)

The only real question is how much data can be input, how quickly that data can be processed, and what kind of space it would take up. Realistically all that is really needs to improve from today from a raw computational perspective is the firearm identification. The size of a current system would also be to large for personal use if it needed to be held on oneself and not placed in a remote location. If a remote connection is acceptable size becomes less important.

As such technology is of use to the military expect resources to be spent developing such.

MatthiasaGarnoth;n10258472 said:
Whats improbable about it? There is no fundamental change from what is possible right now. Its just a matter of scale.
There's a whole thread discussing AIs elsewhere in the past history of these forums.

Suffice to say AIs are still MUCH closer to fantasy then fiction. Yes progress is being made, but not near as much, or as quickly, as many think.

P.S.
Scale is not a minor factor.

Suhiira;n10258602 said:
There's a whole thread discussing AIs elsewhere in the past history of these forums.

Suffice to say AIs are still MUCH closer to fantasy then fiction. Yes progress is being made, but not near as much, or as quickly, as many think.

P.S.
Scale is not a minor factor.

As much as I want to hang out with an intelligent robot buddy in my life time, this is probably for the best. The longer it takes, the better the odds that my generation isn't the one that dies to a robot holocaust.

kofeiiniturpa;n10258302 said:
I can’t help it. Every single time I see or hear about it, I get extraordinarily bored and tired and the stakes of the whole game go down a notch. It has a real repelling effect on me.
It’s a bit different in VtMB since it’s a magic ability for one class instead of a core feature. A bit. Not much, but a bit.

I had this idea for a cutscene or gameplay "moment":

A couple of "Max-Tac" agents (I think I got that right) are in pursuit of an unknown perp. They run through crowds, the perp knocking people over, diving through a few windows, that sort of thing. Not even a challenge for the Max-Tac ops, they're just keeping pace, trying not to push the dude over the edge. Just wearing him down. They eventually run him into a dead end, and he turns and draws on them. The two Max-Tacs quickly but calmly pull their own side-arms out and level them.

"You are under arrest for espionage, noncompliance, and threat of deadly force against an operative of the law. Surrender your weapon. Stand down."

The dude fires.

Bullet time. The agent in the front just shifts at the waist to let the bullet fly by. A laser scanner emitting from the corner of the agent's eye tracks the bullet as it whizzes by. On the back of the round is a serial number.

Quick montage of various screens tracking the serial number. Personal dossiers flicker. The face of a woman appears. Name. Birth date. Law abiding. No criminal record. The bullet is one that she purchased. Another flicker of "screens". The woman was reported murdered 15 hours earlier. No suspects. A frantic flickering of screens. The perp's face appears. Name. Birth date. Criminal record. Cross-reference indicates relation by marriage to the murdered woman.

The bullet smacks into the wall behind the agents. People scream and run. The forward agent returns to a fully upright position, gun still leveled. In exactly the same tone of voice, he says:

"Alec Vellsen, you are under arrest for espionage, noncompliance, use of deadly force against an operative of the law, and as suspect in the murder of Treya Einhart. Surrender your weapon. Stand down."

Last edited:
SigilFey;n10265502 said:
I had this idea for a cutscene or gameplay "moment":
Interesting idea ... pity individual bullets don't have serial numbers, given the number of bullets made/fired a serial number would be to long to fit on a bullet *chuckles*.

BTW ... a "bullet" is projectile, propellant, casing, and primer. Which, while not serialized do have "Lot Numbers" (usually on the base of the casing) which can be, and are, tracked. So just change your scenario to your MaxTac operatives examining a shell casing being ejected from the weapon and you're golden.

Yeah I know ... details ... details ... details ...

Guest 4149880

An idea came to me about the how the gun combat system might work in Cyberpunk when using a skill base RPG system, rather then a player skill shooter system. I see so many comparisons to Fallout 4, GTA, and the Division on how people could expect manual weapon aiming while still using RPG skills for the end result. But there's a problem that those game. It doesn't work great.

What if Cyberpunk doesn't even fully utilize an actual crosshair aiming system at all, but rather a full body targeting system that allows the player to pick where they intend to hit in real time and the resulting action will be based on the players skill levels, to whether they hit or miss and to what parts of the enemies body. To me, a system like this would really emphasize the RPG skill element over the player aiming ability.

In terms of actual gameplay, it could work in both TPP, and FPP with a real time targeting system, rather then crosshair aiming/shooting in the tradition FPS sense, the end result of weapon accuracy and many other factors is based entirely on RPG skills and how efficient the player is if they invested enough points into skills related to weapons and combat.

This system would play out by encountering an enemy, when the fight breaks out, you hit the targeting button, pick the spot you intend to fire. From there, the game skill checks to allow for a direct hit, partials or misses in the various areas of the body and the game takes over for the shooting animation.

Don't get the wrong idea, it should still be a real time third person/first person game with full player control, only when it comes to actual RPG elements, its entirely based on skills.

I think that trying to overlap both mechanics of player aim skill and RPG skill checks might end up very awkward because imagine if the player is aiming with crosshairs right at an enemy and shoots and misses when you know you should have hit, it would be a huge disconnect and collision of mechanics and quite frankly, a bit lazy. I just want to see something fresh that no RPG game is doing, just for CDPR to prove new game mechanics can still be invented even today when the industry is saturated in the same ideas. I personally don't want another Fallout, GTA, or any other game being compared because we already have those. Something different please.

I've been trying to push for something quite similiar for some time now (dealing with active target lock and RPG stat aim).

I don't think these things'll come to pass, but I do think there is calling for something else than a boring every saturday friday shooter combat.

Last edited:

Guest 4149880

kofeiiniturpa;n10346522 said:
I've been trying to push for something quite similiar for some time now (dealing with active target lock and RPG stat aim).

I don't think these things'll come to pass, but I do think there is calling for something else than a boring every saturday friday shooter combat.

Yeah, nothing will help push sales more for a game being developed by the guys that made the Witcher 3 than another awesome game with innovative mechanics on top of a refreshed genre to the AAA gaming market.

Such a system sounds perfect to me. I really hope CDPR at least turns things on their head a bit... I really, really, really don't want GTA: Cyberpunk nor do I want The Cyberpunk Witcher.

Now that I’ve been finish playing Witcher 1. Have you guys any speculation that the stances in Witcher 1 combat will be more improved and innovated to our generation darksoulish combat to change the overcourse of combat to upcoming CDPROJEKT Games? At least read the last paragraph.

[Focus: Melee/Combat Explanation]
Basically, What I’m trying to visualize was are we really just following the same combat mechanics for our future games? What I’ve been really like to Witcher 1 combat was I was able to change stances (strong,fast, and aoe) and every each stances has purposes to the enemies we encountered. Geralt movesets changes every stances you take and it’s draws you more like watching a film. Basically we can’t just use fast stances all over the game because some enemies requires strong stances to kill and they block/parry fast stances. This mechanics may improve repetitive movesets mechanics just like Witcher 3 and we will see more similarly through the combat change of the weapon in such games like Nioh and God of War (2018) where every weapon movesets changes throughout the course of the game . Whats different about Nioh/Bloodborne, combat changes due of the weapon movesets that were designed for us to use. Unlike God of War (2018) it was designed to focus the balance of action between Kratos & his weapons to its peak until we finish the game where we able to play around those badass combos with the “passive/active skills” we unlock. If we see it in a bigger picture of a history of combat we never saw a game like Skyrim that has a same setting combat like God of War (2018). I guess I can use a term “limitless combat progression” and I don’t have any idea how it will work in a future.

God of War (2018) is the only game that’s comes to my mind that uses “combat progression” (Not limitless) to make players enhance default attack with Range and Close Combat and for us choose what kind of combat we want for Kratos to perform in enemies (like whirling your axe in the enemies but when you get a item build it can uses the effects of it) .It’s all about balancing and I can see it’s uniqueness if they ever come into “True RPG Games” like TES.

That idea was unique to me to be honest and it gives me more ideas how our future combat in action games will change over the course of the game if they going to innovate more such mechanics. I’m not a hater of a turn based games but sometimes when I think about it there is more a lot of missing puzzles for combat to improved lot and God of War shows that.

Top Bottom