Combat system

+
So I just saw some gameplay from CoD Infinite War. It looked fun!

It also looked like nothing I want from Cyberpunk 2077.

Well, not nothing.

It was just sooooo..so done. Sniping even in an asteroid field, stealthing in and disabling a capital ship's engines, some more fighting, then flying a fighter jet away.

Undeniably cool and very pretty looking, but. But.

It lacked...tension. Fear. Blood. Sweat.

Partly because you regenerate. Partly because getting shot was kind of annoying. Partly because shooting back looked very....hrm. Easy? Light? Video-game-ey?

Now I'm not suggesting a turn-based solution or that FPS isn't doable. But I am saying in an Open-world setting, I really, really hope the combat is visceral. Scary! Dangerous! Unpredictable!And has impact.

Not routine or easy or boring. Taking objectives and shooting pop-a-moles is just too simple for a Cyberpunk Open World game.

Also, pausing in combat? Yeah, not a fan. Bye bye tension. Maaaaaaybe with a timer.

Sardukhar;n6869310 said:
Also, pausing in combat? Yeah, not a fan. Bye bye tension. Maaaaaaybe with a timer.
​I'm certainly not suggesting a pause option be part of the default "shooter" game mechanics.
​But it should definitely be an option for those of us that aren't going to play CP2077 as a "shooter".

No such thing like 3rd person shooter as you cant aim properly in 3rd person. Also you "cheat" by checking corners without not peaking out. This is so obvious how some dont get it...

makor86;n6877990 said:
No such thing like 3rd person shooter as you cant aim properly in 3rd person. Also you "cheat" by checking corners without not peaking out. This is so obvious how some dont get it...

Because it's your opinion, not fact.

Every game is full of cheats. Bullet hits that don't put you into shock/kill you in seconds. Weapons that don't kick anything like real life. A virtual body that doesn't shake, shiver, twitch and have to piss. Minimal to no fatigue. Acceleration from 0 to 40+ kph in an eyeblink. I can go on and on.

Even sims like Arma are guilty of these conventions, because it's a videogame, not real life shooting, never mind real life tactical shooting, never mind real life trying-to-kill-not-be-killed shooting.

What degree of departure from reality you prefer is up to you.

I prefer 1st person because I can pretend better I'm really there, but on the other hand, I do like to look at my ultra-cool character.

Sardukhar;n6878190 said:

Every game is full of cheats. Bullet hits that don't put you into shock/kill you in seconds. Weapons that don't kick anything like real life. A virtual body that doesn't shake, shiver, twitch and have to piss. Minimal to no fatigue. Acceleration from 0 to 40+ kph in an eyeblink. I can go on and on.

Even sims like Arma are guilty of these conventions, because it's a videogame, not real life shooting, never mind real life tactical shooting, never mind real life trying-to-kill-not-be-killed shooting.

I prefer 1st person because I can pretend better I'm really there, but on the other hand, I do like to look at my ultra-cool character.

Sardukhar;n6878190 said:

this is the fact, lol. soon you will tell me Earth is not flat is also just an opinon :D 3rd person is totally broken when you have many objects and hills as LOS of your character is different than yours. draw it if you cant imagine it. i will not even mention you cant shoot high above you in 3rd and low in front of you. in short 3rd person is retarded and broken for shooting

makor86;n6880140 said:
this is the fact, lol. soon you will tell me Earth is not flat is also just an opinon :D 3rd person is totally broken when you have many objects and hills as LOS of your character is different than yours. draw it if you cant imagine it. i will not even mention you cant shoot high above you in 3rd and low in front of you. in short 3rd person is retarded and broken for shooting
Again, your opinion, for you 1st person works best, for others it may well not.

​I've played a number of games where 3rd person shooting worked just fine. Do any of them more then remotely resemble the real life shooting I've done, no, but no game really does.

3rd person is better for an RPG since it allows the character systems to be projected to the hands-on gameplay in a more impactful way and being less confusing (and I say "confusing" because I've seen a lot of cases where people don't seem to understand or are unwilling to accept what's going on with these systems in 1st person).

kofeiiniturpa;n6884080 said:
3rd person is better for an RPG since it allows the character systems to be projected to the hands-on gameplay in a more impactful way and being less confusing (and I say "confusing" because I've seen a lot of cases where people don't seem to understand or are unwilling to accept what's going on with these systems in 1st person).

kofeiiniturpa;n6884080 said:
uve just said 3rd person is better cuz dumber and limited af, lol. also gl in 3rd in insides and tunnels and anything vertical like a city

makor86;n6885710 said:
uve just said 3rd person is better cuz dumber and limited
Not really. I don't really care about perspectives one what or the other as long as the game plays well, but it's clearer for a lot of people who get confused with RPG mechanics in 1st person combat. This mitigates criticism and opens the road for implementation of better RPG systems.

makor86;n6885710 said:
also gl in 3rd in insides and tunnels and anything vertical like a city

I have no idea what this says.

Last edited:
Sardukhar;n6869310 said:
So I just saw some gameplay from CoD Infinite War. It looked fun!

It also looked like nothing I want from Cyberpunk 2077.

Well, not nothing.

It was just sooooo..so done. Sniping even in an asteroid field, stealthing in and disabling a capital ship's engines, some more fighting, then flying a fighter jet away.

Undeniably cool and very pretty looking, but. But.

It lacked...tension. Fear. Blood. Sweat.

Partly because you regenerate. Partly because getting shot was kind of annoying. Partly because shooting back looked very....hrm. Easy? Light? Video-game-ey?

Now I'm not suggesting a turn-based solution or that FPS isn't doable. But I am saying in an Open-world setting, I really, really hope the combat is visceral. Scary! Dangerous! Unpredictable!And has impact.

Not routine or easy or boring. Taking objectives and shooting pop-a-moles is just too simple for a Cyberpunk Open World game.

I think it is very important for combat to have consequence, gong back to the old school train of thought where resource management is the key.

Combat should have risk, when you decide it's time to throw down something should be on the line, there should be inherent costs and drawbacks.

Combat could potentially wound you(which should be expensive and time consuming to heal), waste your ammo(which you should have to pay for), draw heat to you making the likelihood of future combat encounters greater,etc.

Combat shouldn't just be a treadmill experience, it should require serious thought, before, during, and after.

Meccanical;n6888090 said:
Combat shouldn't just be a treadmill experience, it should require serious thought, before, during, and after.
​Hear, hear !

​Yes combat should be an option, but not the preferred one.

Suhiira;n6891930 said:
​Hear, hear !

​Yes combat should be an option, but not the preferred one.

Well, unless you're running a seriously cybered, skilled and geared badass.

And EVEN THEN, chance of death should be quite high, eventually.

Sardukhar;n6892080 said:
Well, unless you're running a seriously cybered, skilled and geared badass.

And EVEN THEN, chance of death should be quite high, eventually.
I'd have said it shorter ...

"Well, unless you're​ suicidal."

​OK, death isn't guaranteed ... but how much do you like to play the odds?
Once?
​Three times?
Ten?
​They WILL catch up to you eventually ... and it only has to happen once.

BoboTheMighty;n3216062 said:
Again...no detailed analysis or constructive feedback, beyond childish hyperboles... It has highest user rating of all time on MC and some of the highest on Steam( both combined summarizing tens of thousands of reviews) and the highest GOTY account by critics, so googling "Witcher combat sucks"( if you consider Worth a Buy a good critic, then you will "appreciate" his review of Dark Souls as well) are very poor attempt of providing "proof" for any kind of valid criticism.
And I'm pretty sure this is the same person previously banned for attempting exactly the same, even on Reddit, with some "interesting" comments about developers, or even Poland in general.

If you want to be taken more seriously, try to act in a more adult and constructive manner.

Well Witcher games have gonna there acclaim because of other reasons story, world, quests, etc... the most commonly criticized aspects of these games is the mediocre to poor gameplay and awful controls that sadly plague these games. CDPR weakness as developer is gameplay and controls they just aren't good at designing this. Just because because a game got acclaim doesn't mean people love every aspect about a certain game. This is exactly why I repeatedly urge CDPR to focus on polishing their gameplay a lot more this time around.

Last edited:
LegateLaniusThe2nd;n7463630 said:
Well Witcher games have gonna there acclaim because of other reasons story, world, quests, etc... the most commonly criticized aspects of these games is the mediocre to poor gameplay and awful controls that sadly plague these games. CDPR weakness as developer is gameplay and controls they just aren't talent or good at designing this. Just because because a game got acclaim doesn't mean people love every aspect about a certain game.

And just because you don't like something does not mean everybody agrees with you. Yes, the gameplay/combat out of all elements is the one that you see the most criticism for but thats still a minority. Don't let the threads of neogaf and redit fool you. These are not representitive of gaming audience really (just look at those sites taste in games, its pretty niche where one of the most anticipated games is persona 5. Also, its a vocal minority factor as well, you don't write threads about something being good to often, I personally like the combat and gameplay in W3,(I am not saying its perfect, there is room for improvement) there are people who don't and thats fine but saying its terrible its a massive hyperbole. You can't find a lot of criticism for these elements in reviews either. Globally, if you look at percentage of people with positive reviews its and their opinions in various medias and aggregate sites, people seem to enjoy gameplay.

LegateLaniusThe2nd;n7463630 said:
Well Witcher games have gonna there acclaim because of other reasons story, world, quests, etc... the most commonly criticized aspects of these games is the mediocre to poor gameplay and awful controls that sadly plague these games. CDPR weakness as developer is gameplay and controls they just aren't good at designing this. Just because because a game got acclaim doesn't mean people love every aspect about a certain game. This is exactly why I repeatedly urge CDPR to focus on polishing their gameplay a lot more this time around.

True: rpg , gameplay and base mechanics are the most criticized aspect of all of CDPR games...but there is a difference between trying to present criticism and shitposting. And you don't need a PhD in base psychology to tell the difference. More thorough, comprehensive examination including pro and cons, while willing to accept other people's opinions, next to angry, emotional outburst characterized accompanied with little else than childish hyperboles and insults.

What I have little patience for is that kind of infantile single mindedness where everything is either 10 or 0 with nothing in between ( which is more typical for some in the gaming community). There are also a lot of positives to mention, from sound design and combat music, good animation quality, unique mechanics like group aggro, unique boss design, etc.

Top Bottom