The Forlorn Hope: Cyberpunk Off-Topic

+
gamingdevil800;n8177950 said:
I've been playing Mass Effect Andromeda and damn what a disappointment. Now the gameplay mechanics are top notch and the worlds are big. However the story, dialogue are somewhat lackluster and we all know how ugly/uncanny valley the characters are partially due to the animations. At the time when Dragon Age Inquisition came out I thought it was great however Witcher 3 totally destroyed that game in every area in my mind, now I feel like cyberpunk 2077 will do the same for the sci fi rpg taking the crown from Mass Effect. Also I should note that Mass Effect Andromeda suffers from boring side quests unfortunately and empty maps.

I like it actually (although I'm only 17 hours in). I like the worlds, the gameplay and the characters a whole lot. Some narrative moments are poorly executed
not enough investment in sibling/dad before things happen to them, and the Angara become your pseudo-BFFs too easily
but I like the overall thrust of the story so far. Dialogue has some clunkers in it, but a lot of it is good. The bad guys are too antagonistic with no explanation thus far. The tempest is awesome. The nomad is fun. I actually think it's less fetch-questy than DA:I or FO4 were at this point in the game. I like the RPG mechanics better than either of these games too thus far. Still waiting to see where the story goes before making a firm judgment. Definitely more along quality lines of FO4/DA:I than TW3 quality. Which while not being an A+ ... I still really liked FO4 and DA:I. I dumped 100+ hours into each. So yeah. It's very good. Not mediocre ... not excellent ... just very good. EDIT: Regarding the animations. I honestly think the critique is overblown. I've noticed a few characters models that are bad (Addison is one of the worst offenders) but for the most part I think the faces look comparable to DA:I. It's not great ... but I've rarely found myself focusing on it rather than what the characters are saying. So it's not too distracting to me. And all the reviews hate on Eos. I really liked Eos.

Last edited:
Rawls;n8211240 said:
And all the reviews hate on Eos. I really liked Eos.

Yep!

We concur on pretty much all points. Writing team definitely needs to read more Chandler and Van Vogt, less Kevin J Anderson. I find the grindy fetch quests very easy to handle - I don't do them. They are boring and not plot essential. If I'm near something and I might get research points for scanning it, sure, I do it. Otherwise, no. Whole REAMS of unscanned minerals and plants are falling by the wayside because of my lazy ways! Also, really, who the heck sends their elite First Contact guy to...scan rocks and plants by the dozen? Do you not have an actual geology/biology team? Or drone?

The Angaran issue ( too BFF too fast) sums up the biggest flaw for Andromeda for me: simplistic factions. Again. Instead of the Evil Kett and Good Angarans, why not have multiple races with self interest? Why is that so hard? Be so much more interesting, negotiating your way around these cultures.

Last edited:
Sardukhar;n8215980 said:
The Angaran issue ( too BFF too fast) sums up the biggest flaw for Andromeda for me: simplistic factions. Again. Instead of the Evil Kett and Good Angarans, why not have multiple races with self interest? Why is that so hard? Be so much more interesting, negotiating your way around these cultures.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlanetOfHats

Because that would be nuanced and not tropey enough!

I'm liking Andromeda for the most part. My biggest issue aside from the stuff Sard mentioned is that I really, REALLY do not like how freaking whiny my crew is. You pick up Jaal and all you get out of everyone when you have the conference is "Wah pathfinder, why are we not in the vault! What are you doing"

I made a goddamn first contact command decision assholes! Shut up!

Biggest issue is with world not compelling enough, next to what we had. Common' BW...this is whole another freakin' galaxy!
But man when you're standing at the deck and see a new planet right in front of me, real time, can't help and always grin like an idiot.

Zagor-Te-Nay;n8240390 said:
Biggest issue is with world not compelling enough, next to what we had. Common' BW...this is whole another freakin' galaxy!
But man when you're standing at the deck and see a new planet right in front of me, real time, can't help and always grin like an idiot.

Yeah, this could really be an unexplored portion of the Milky Way galaxy.

WHICH BY THE WAY, since they use the gates, 99.9999% of the Milky way remains unexplored.So this whole, "There was nothing left for me in the Milky Way" is utter, utter nonsense.

No Title

Sardukhar;n8242980 said:
"There was nothing left for me in the Milky Way" is utter, utter nonsense.

I think what she meant by that was the idea that since the Asari had been on the citadel since we were still rolling about Europe with Augustus Caesar and such, there was nothing new/unique in terms of exobiology/exoarchaeology left for her to do. Especially with the fact that the Reaper Cycles would have regulated everything prothean and pre-prothean to the gate systems and clusters.

That being said, the whole handwave of "Oh bipedal life has advantages, that's why Andromeda is just like the Milky Way with an Abundance of Bipedals... Clearly there is no good use for different aliens with unique physiology

This one would like to argue with Bioware.

Irritated: Clearly Bioware has not heard Shakespeare in the voice of Elcor.

I think Bioware's lack of doing their homework and loss of unique scientific explanation for alien species is my other irritated point. I loved the relatively hard science they put into the background and world building.

Attachments

• photo124130.jpg
    photo124130.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 26
  • photo124140.jpg
    photo124140.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 28
Given that it's a "fire from the hip" weapon, and the barrel length, you probably couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it past about 200m ... gatling gun or not ... but to about 100m it would really suck to be on the receiving end.

The real question is ... how much ammo can you carry? If you only have enough for a handful of bursts while kewl it's fairly useless you're ambushing someone.

One of the demo vids had the guy with a belt fed system running out of a gigantic metal backpack.

So plenty enough to ruin a corp tower?

Yeah... that's what I thought as well... some kind of backpack type of a situation.

And I do belive that the origins if this weapon, the thing they sort of based the weapon on, Jesse "The Body" Venturas character from Pedator... did run around with some kind of backpack for the ammunition. Of course, the minigun he ran around with is just to big and heavy for any person to run around with like that. But the backpack seemed perfectly fine though. But sure... even with a backpack you would probably still go through all that ammunition in less then a minute... XD

In Cyberpunk though there is the benefit of being cybered up... which means that with the right stuff, strength based legs and maybe spine, etc, you could probably carry a much bigger backpack then you see in the movie, or the one they made for the small caryable version of a minigun.

I don't see much of an issue with the potentual and useful range of the thing though... especially considering where Cyberpunk games tends to take place... in large cramp cities... lots of indoor locations, etc... I would be surpriced if the majority of the battles took place above the range of about 50 meters. XD

Denuvo is on the decline anyway. Mass effect and Resident Evil were both broken open in terms of cracks within a week according to gaming news sites.

Also, still hyped for the Surge, though I probably won't pre-order despite how much my Dark/Demon souls and Bloodborne instincts are screaming at me. Mainly just because I did NOT like Lords of the Fallen.

Still... Every trailer I watch just feeds my Cyberpunky lusts too. Love this one especially... the whole transhuman/clean corp aesthetic mixing with actually watching the VERY gritty surgery...

Sardukhar;n8341230 said:
You are bad. Never pre-order. Denuvo or not Denuvo.
*If you're a regular consumer who can afford to wait.

But I have a website. I review games on it. Reviews are most relevant early in a game's life and I don't get review copies like other outlets, much less advance copies. I recently-ish got approved as a contributor on OpenCritic and have been covering newer stuff to get some backlinks and get some stuff out there without having to do any sleazy SEO work, so preordering a few games here and there is the lesser evil at the moment.

Also, I bought a physical copy for the PS4, so I can sell it off as soon as I'm done and recoup some of the money if it sucks.

Sardukhar;n8341230 said:
Also, still hyped for the Surge, though I probably won't pre-order despite how much my Dark/Demon souls and Bloodborne instincts are screaming at me. Mainly just because I did NOT like Lords of the Fallen.
Yeah, I keep hearing that LotF wasn't very good. I'm assuming that part of that was CI Games' fault; they were clearly the ones who put Denuvo on it (and the internet suggests that they were actually co-developers for the project), so there's no telling how much they interfered. The Surge isn't likely to play like a Souls game, though, and it's probably best to take it for what it is instead of expecting it to play to those Souls instincts.

227;n8343430 said:
The Surge isn't likely to play like a Souls game, though, and it's probably best to take it for what it is instead of expecting it to play to those Souls instincts.

Dunno. Lot of that speed and dodging (as well as a lesser degree of that limb targeting) is spot on Bloodborne

Top Bottom