Martial Arts in 2077.

+
Martial Arts in 2077.

This is a two fold question. Settle down! You can do it.

1. Which Martial Arts/Face-punching styles would you like to see in CP2077. Weapons included, of course. Try to leave room for other people to list, so don't list more than, say, your favourite five. FIVE. I know you'll disobey anyway, you bastards. Re-list to support others, of course.

2.HOW. How would you like to see them implement melee, including hand to hand. Grappling could be a real challenge. Batman-AA style? Gothic-style swordfights? Witcher-style? 1 or 2? And why would you pick this method. Do you have any control scheme examples?

1. I don;t care for grappling arts really, they just aren't very cinematic or really even all that effective outside a ring.
Krav maga
Pentjak Silat
Mauy Thia/Krabi Krabong
Jeet Kun Do
Tai Chi Chuan

2. Sleeping Dogs Style... you can't really do any better than that unless the whole game is centered around it. I definitely do not want the Deus Ex cut scene fighting bullshit where you never actually feel like you are fighting anyone.

Haha, this is so awesome. I came from the Combat System thread. You guys started to talk about martial arts, you said you were going to make a new thread. I come out of the Combat System thread, and there it is: Martial Arts in 2077.

Now, On-Topic:

I'm not really all that familiar with martial arts, so I don't think I'll be a very big help in this thread. I can say however, melee combat should be executed perfectly in Cyberpunk 2077. With weapons and bare hands. From what I've seen and heard about martial arts. I would love to see:
1. Krav Maga, seems simple, but effective.
2. Kung-Fu, it's classic.
3. This may seem a bit weird, but: Capoeira. I think SR2 had it, and I think it has style, fits in with the Cyberpunk world.
4. Wrestling should be in. Grapples, throws, headlocks, holds, etc.
5. Jiu Jitsu. I think Jiu Jitsu really incorporates weapons, also very offensive, which I like.

How? They should incorporate a fast paced combat system, but not one that only takes your reaction time and button-pressing skills into account. I liked the Witcher 2's system for melee, it made you think and was quite complex too. I also tried out Chivalry Medieval Warfare (free weekend on Steam), and was really digging that combat system. It was fast-paced and realistic, one good blow to the head with a mace should kill you not just deplete -2 of your health. They could make something similar, but then make your character skills a deciding factor.

Sorry if I'm completely ignorant on this matter. :p. I'm trying my best though.

EDIT: Wisdom000 said something about Sleeping Dogs, that was definitely one of the best hand to hand combat systems ever designed..

Ah..melee combat. The topic that brings the whole Witcher forum together...

Muay Thai - MMA would be nowhere without this. It just works. Really well.

Boxing - next to Muay Thai, the most effective striking there is.

Karate - less practical in some ways but still a fairly big player in MMA, especially now.

Taekwondo - Not nearly as effective but it's used in games and movies for a reason. Very flashy.

Sambo/Judo - definitely applicable, but in the game I'd make these supplementary talents in the skill tree. Upgrade to one of these, and you have clinches and throws available to set up one-hit kills, neck breaks or knock outs.

As melee will most likely be secondary to weapon use, its application is limited to situations when we're up close and personal, or if we desire to disarm an enemy and then take them out ( pacifist. stealth). There could also be disarming tech that allows us to disarm or jam all the weapons in a single room, freeing the player up to systematically punch the enemy's lights out. As for gameplay, I'd want a hybrid between Sleeping Dogs and Arkham City. As for weapons, SD covers all that except swords I think, and the sword animations and distance-closing attack in TW2 would lend themselves to group melee in CP 2077. They also have a very weighty feel to them.

Is it possible to design melee without panning the camera way up? Even when we fight groups? I don't know. It could certainly lend a sense of immediacy to the combat if the camera remained in an over-the-shoulder TP view.

don't know if it counts but gun-fu/gun kata would be cool

i also favour "no rules" bare knuckles streetfighting with unfair strikes and tricks like the use of glass bottles as weapons etc over traditional martial arts as the promintent fighting style to be featured in c77
i think that kinda goes better with a dirty "no rules" cyberpunk setting

Taekwondo.. Flashy...
There are several Taekwondo styles and there's at least -one- that's flashy and mostly if only for shows.
Not for fights.

What martial arts would I like to see..
None I think. I don't think they'd do them any justice.

Definately a tough thing to get right, i agree sleeping dogs did it fairly good but in a game of cybertech and tons of firearms which system do you invest the most effort in.

Kung-Fu, Muay Tai, Sambo, Arasaka Te, Jeet kun do and Aikido id like to see for sure.

well as long i can playing like a future assassin like what you see in mass effect 3, when thane krios fighting kai leng. i don't really mention about it... :D

Ninjutsu.

Even though its not a martial art as opposed to it being an art of warfare. I'd like to see it implemented like in the Pacific Rim where it gives you extra stats when you're in assassination mode. Cutting Combat Sense in half when you're not sneaking. Everything in the book, except the part about the Ninja Clan not accepting augmented ninjas into their fraternity of murder. For ninjutsu, it's killing in one motion so yes one button to silent kill a target but I want it to be real where the character covers the mouth and stabs someone in the Heart in many various ways. Maybe holding the button down to make the kill even more violent like in Manhunt. Ninjas always go for the instant kill, move with the shadows, and are professional assassins in its purest form. They don't go by the same rules as the Samurai.

I agree, with the knowledge of more fighting styles coming to light, this section needs to be updated and changed to include the different ways of self defense available. I love the mentions of Krav Maga and Sambo, that is a very suitable style for any efficient combat character. Capoeria, wasn't that in the 2020? I want to say it was ... but it is a very flashy style and totally fits. I basically agree with Wisdon (shocker). I would like the game to be like a Sleeping Dogs where you have your combos that you can learn and impliment quite fluidly into any fight, though no changing outfits to switch styles :p

Precisely what came into my mind. If, say, you've got a face made of steel, protecting it should be the least of your concerns. In fact, you might as well use it as a weapon. Talk about tanking with your face and facerolling as a viable combat technique! :D

Man as anyone here play Def Jam Fight for New York!? there is some awesome street melee combat and many to choose from. What I am saying that I want this game to be like that in those aspect. A place that I can train myself and options to choose from. Grab a bottle on the street if there is an object close to me and used to defend my self. Street style fighting, Martial arts fighting, Brawler style fighting. etc you name them, many many many.

I will definitely choose Street ones :p. but Please a very good implementation of those moves. I do not want to see GTA4 style of fight. It wasn't bad. but ugly, It could have been better.

i think two things that they should definitely include are ninjustsu and Iaido which is the samurai skill of drawing the sword and cutting in one fluid movement, also they should include the samurai art and mastery of all 8 main samurai fighting styles, but of course this is a world set in the future so that is unlikely but they should include some sort of hidden isolated dojo that teaches such things or maybe 2, one teaches one to be a ninja another to be a samurai and maybe they could be warring amongst one another,

Top Bottom