Boundaries and movement.

+
GTA 5 had your vehicle (at least the boat) mysteriously break down and sink at the edge of the map and then a shark ate the character.

I think I'd rather see a "E) Enter City/World map" - and have the game desinged that way - than a "You can't go that way" message or junkbarriers everywhere where the playable map ends. At least there'd be the abstraction rather than an "Sorry. there's no more game in that direction" excuse.

Also, what up with all this necroing threads from 4 years ago all of a sudden?

Last edited:
kofeiiniturpa;n8346110 said:
GTA 5 had your vehicle (at least the boat) mysteriously break down and sink at the edge of the map and then a shark ate the character.

I think I'd rather see a "E) Enter City/World map" - and have the game desinged that way - than a "You can't go that way" message or junkbarriers everywhere where the playable map ends. At least there'd be the abstraction rather than an "Sorry. there's no more game in that direction" excuse.

I have no issue with it. Lets people refresh on discussions.

kofeiiniturpa;n8349530 said:
No issue. Just somewhat curious.

Yeah, I imagine slowly scrolling through our old arguments, shaking heads, wondering what bedevilled us so.

JUST WAIT UNTIL WE GET NEWS. Can have those allllllll over again!

kofeiiniturpa;n8346110 said:

Just an old habit, I tend to read books backwards. No worries, I'm at the page of 60 or so. :p

Sardukhar;n8349710 said:
JUST WAIT UNTIL WE GET NEWS. Can have those allllllll over again!
Oh yes, it'll be a madhouse here, better you then me my dear moderator!

Movement and controls are my biggest worry about CP. W3 was abysmal in this area. Not only in the traditional sense like poor responsiveness but flat out doing the wrong actions constantly. Whether its doing that stupid dive animation when you are simply jump onto a boat or jump over broken bridge. The infamous accidental candle/torch igniting. How about the dumbest design choice in recent memory not being able to simply leave combat mode or being able to jump in combat in a 3D open world filled with non-flat environments. Poor object and world hitboxes/clipping was way too prevalent as well.

Last edited:
LegateLaniusThe2nd;n8350900 said:
Movement and controls are my biggest worry about CP. W3 was abysmal in this area.

Abysmal is a bit strong. That said, they improved after they patched in a more responsive movement mechanism.

The thing is, CDPR was aiming for "real-style" movement. Acceleration, turning times, slowing down, etc. Problem is, we are accustomed to 0-60 in no seconds video game movement. So we found W3 clumsy from what we are used to.

I had no issue with the controls (set-up, UI) that I can think of.

Aiming sucked, lock on sucked. Be nice if they fixed those. ROWLEY!

LegateLaniusThe2nd;n8350900 said:
Movement and controls are my biggest worry about CP. W3 was abysmal in this area. Not only in the traditional sense like poor responsiveness but flat out doing the wrong actions constantly. Whether its doing that stupid dive animation when you are simply jump onto a boat or jump over broken bridge. The infamous accidental candle/torch igniting.
Much of this is a consequence of controllers.
You only have so many buttons, so either you use them for multiple functions or you limit the number of things you can do.

Sardukhar;n8354460 said:
Abysmal is a bit strong.

It is, but Geralt did usually feel like steering a muscleboat.... And especially so on horseback. Realistic movement or not, they gotta work a bit on what kind of response the character takes from an input.

kofeiiniturpa;n8358860 said:
It is, but Geralt did usually feel like steering a muscleboat.... And especially so on horseback. Realistic movement or not, they gotta work a bit on what kind of response the character takes from an input.

Its abysmal compared to most third person AAA games.

Suhiira;n8383720 said:
It's a lot closer to reality then most AAA games too.

Physics ... momentum.

Yep. It's a mindset thing. Still handled better than, say, Dark Souls or, hrm, mostly Dark Souls. Didn't handle as well as Skyrim or DAI, though. At least not as crisply. More realistic, though. I got used to it pretty quickly and had a good time, playing about half my first game before they patched in the alternative movement system. Which I then switched to.

Terrible, no...you haven't played games with truly poor controls( MGS III, Last Guardian, Soulsborne...).

But they were...bizarre and out of place. Controls need to be contextually designed around player character and direct gameplay.

Witchers are supposed to be supernaturally agile and controls should reflect this( without going to extreme). And if your gameplay is more oriented toward fast, quick reflexes action, than you need to give as much control and precision to the player...otherwise it's like running a sprint race without tying your shoe laces, you feel "too loose".
Cyberpunk should have a degree of "heavy-ness" to it ( such as being unable to cancel heavy attacks/actions ), but not to the point of where it has a more negative impact of player control.
Obviously this has a degree of subjectivity, but it's usually better to have a bit more unrealistic than unresponsive controls.

Zagor-Te-Nay;n8388460 said:
Terrible, no...you haven't played games with truly poor controls( MGS III, Last Guardian, Soulsborne...).

But they were...bizarre and out of place. Controls need to be contextually designed around player character and direct gameplay.

Witchers are supposed to be supernaturally agile and controls should reflect this( without going to extreme). And if your gameplay is more oriented toward fast, quick reflexes action, than you need to give as much control and precision to the player...otherwise it's like running a sprint race without tying your shoe laces, you feel "too loose".
Cyberpunk should have a degree of "heavy-ness" to it ( such as being unable to cancel heavy attacks/actions ), but not to the point of where it has a more negative impact of player control.
Obviously this has a degree of subjectivity, but it's usually better to have a bit more unrealistic than unresponsive controls.

Well I agree with most of what you said more action oriented games need as much player control as possible unless you want fully automated controls like Arkham/Assassin Creed. I disagree with you on Soulsborne to some degree. On mouse and keyboard Soulsborne is garbage but on controller its fine. DS1 and DS2 had some level of jankiness in the attack animations, hitboxes and jumping(I hate platforming in this series) but movement like walking was fairly fine. Extremely unrealistic with no inertia. Bloodborne I had no issues definitely the most fluid, fast and responsive game in the series. Its a dam shame its PS4 exclusive thats butchered by 30fps with terrible performance. If FromSoftware added a 60fps mode to the game like Team Ninja did with Nioh(great game better than Dark Souls imo) it would improve Bloodborne immensely. 60fps would improve any game I hope we see more fps options on console games in the future.

Last edited:
I think this makes a good point: player interface.

See, I play on PC 90% of the time -and- I suck with a controller. So a game that is good on controllers will always suck for me. I'll always find it either janky, on PC, or good but still clumsy (to me) on controller.

In a better world, the devs would extensively test on both and provide either a competent mid-alternative, or wholly separate movement/animation responses for each interface type.

As VR becomes popular, that'll be a third set of issues.

I think trying one-size-fits-all just isn't going to work as games increase in gameplay complexity.

I'd really like to be able to sprint across a balcony, firing my FN-RAL, jump to the next balconyy, duck my opponent's hastily drawn-and-fired pistol shot, execute a pistol disarm and a groin strike/fingers-in eyes attack, shoot him with my RAL, pull myself up to the roof, reload while sweeping the rooftop with my active radar, order my smartgun to reload and roll into prone cover as that AV-4 comes over the horizon.

While looking cool as I do it, cyber-enhanced eyes gleaming in the city light and armored trenchcoat flowing behind me.

All while talking to my chums on Discord.

And the idea is one animation/control scheme, or even a customizable version, is going to do all that for PC/keyboard, controller and one day VR? I think not. Not with current shoehorn methods.

Sardukhar;n8393400 said:
And the idea is one animation/control scheme, or even a customizable version, is going to do all that for PC/keyboard, controller and one day VR? I think not. Not with current shoehorn methods.
But therein lays it's own problem.

Currently games are designed around the limited number of buttons/triggers on a controller. While you can, of course, provide the option for PC players to map every game interface function to it's own key or mouse button you're still limited by the total number of functions a controller can handle. And could you imagine the screams if a PC version of a game had game functions available a console version didn't?

So like it or not PC players will be restricted to the total number of game interface functions a controller has if a game is multi-platform. The best they can to is allow for total custom mapping of those functions on a PC. And this is where most games fail, by not doing so.

I hope the movements/physics feel fluid and look realistic. For example, if my character's arm gets crippled, I want my arm to be useless, unless I go heal it sometimes (same with my character's leg, if it gets shot I want my character to limp like in real life). Since we are also talking about boundaries, I hope there are no invisible walls anywhere in Night City, as it frustrates me when I see that happen in games. Controls also need to feel responsive and not feel clunky/wonky when driving flying cars (like the police cruiser in the Teaser trailer) Make every button count, so every button has a function as opposed to doing nothing (emotes of some sort, I don't know)

earlier in the thread, there was chatter of terrible controls, but you've all forgotten the worst of them all. The original Resident Evil. great game, awful awful awful controls

I really wonder how they will handle the player being unable to leave the city and/or the surrounding area.

Because Night City doesnt strike me as a place most people would voluntarily want to dwell in.

Top Bottom