Boundaries and movement.

+
BjornTheBandit;n8620790 said:
earlier in the thread, there was chatter of terrible controls, but you've all forgotten the worst of them all. The original Resident Evil. great game, awful awful awful controls

Well... how tense would some of those scenes in those early Resident Evil games really have been with perfect controls? The bad controls, and bad camera angles, and what not, helped to sell some of those scenes a lot better, then if they had good controls etc.

Calistarius;n8628140 said:
Well... how tense would some of those scenes in those early Resident Evil games really have been with perfect controls? The bad controls, and bad camera angles, and what not, helped to sell some of those scenes a lot better, then if they had good controls etc.

This is true, and to be fair, the zombies were just as clunky and slow as you. But I went from the first tomb raider straight into resident evil, and it took me quite some time to get used to

About boundaries and movement...

When it comes to map boundaries, I don't usually have a problem with them. They are there for a reason usually after all. Of course, it would be nice if they where made in such a way where there is no invisible wall or something, but even then I am not to bothered by it.

With movement... that compleatly depends on what kind of game it will be. If we asume a 1st and/or 3rd person type of a game, then I would want at the very least jumping and climbing. Anything more then that would be a bonus.

It would be cool if there where aspect of the game where you had a Tomb Raider/Uncharted type of a climbing/jumping/etc thing. But considering that I do wish for a very stat and skill heavy game, things like this would be potentually be locked away for characters who did not spend any points on the relevant skills... and/or stats so they have enough stamina to be able to get to new sections where they could take a break or something.

BjornTheBandit;n8635740 said:
This is true, and to be fair, the zombies were just as clunky and slow as you. But I went from the first tomb raider straight into resident evil, and it took me quite some time to get used to
I did play both of the first of those game-series back in the day after they where released on the Playstation... but I do not recall in which order I found and played them in... and do not recall me having any problems like that.

Jumping and climbing fine, you should be able to.
But please PLEASE no platforming "puzzles" in the game ... it took me forever to climb those damn towers in Saints Row because I suck that much at platforming (and PC controls aren't as useful as a controller for such things).

Suhiira;n8655890 said:
Jumping and climbing fine, you should be able to.
But please PLEASE no platforming "puzzles" in the game ... it took me forever to climb those damn towers in Saints Row because I suck that much at platforming (and PC controls aren't as useful as a controller for such things).

Nah, there are some obstacles that take physical movement to overcome. If you aren't good enough, you won't get the rewards. I have no issue with this.

I, too, suck at platforming, but I have no problem with their being things in the game I can't achieve. That, too, is part of gaming.

Platforming puzzles in games not specifically designed to be platformers are the worst, mainly because the movement is usually not precisely tuned enough to justify designing such a thing.

I don't know how "platformy" it would be though if parts of it was based around your characters skills though. I mean, I guess it would still be platformy... but it would be effected by the skills.

I did enjoy Mirrors Edge quite a bit with it's free running and what not. Although, that is a bit outside of the scope of what I would want CP2077 to be... since I do still want CP2077 to be a cRPG.

I prefer natural borders, obviously. No invisible walls please.

I do like the idea of procedurally generated environments beyond the primary hub. A desert for instance is perfectly suited for this purpose, since you'd quickly realize that it's not worth exploring. It's just a desert and you have no business being there. As a general rule I prefer a rich condensed environment with well-defined borders, above a massive borderless open world that feels (relatively) lifeless.

Neuronin;n8661450 said:
A desert for instance is perfectly suited for this purpose, since you'd quickly realize that it's not worth exploring. It's just a desert and you have no business being there.
<----- *would explore it* XD

My friend used to live in a far of district of a city. There were a railway tracks nearby. Whenever, for whatever reason you got near that tracks, a train would appear, a long, slow moving, cargo one. That was clearly the edge of a map :D

atomowyturysta;n8706950 said:
My friend used to live in a far of district of a city. There were a railway tracks nearby. Whenever, for whatever reason you got near that tracks, a train would appear, a long, slow moving, cargo one. That was clearly the edge of a map :D
Now that's a neat idea!

BjornTheBandit;n8706820 said:
As would I. because there probably isn't anything there... but there MIGHT be...

Yeah... that "but there MIGHT be" is a very powerful thing for me. It is actually so powerful for me that I will even do it every single time I play the same game with a new character or something, even if there was nothing there in previous playthroughs. XD

Although, part of that does also come down to me wanting to eventually remove all fog of war as well... no matter if the game has such a thing or not. XD

This is why boundaries are great in my opinion, because it helps me a lot, since it means I can stop looking around in that particular direction. XD

Calistarius;n8711400 said:
Yeah... that "but there MIGHT be" is a very powerful thing for me. It is actually so powerful for me that I will even do it every single time I play the same game with a new character or something, even if there was nothing there in previous playthroughs. XD

Although, part of that does also come down to me wanting to eventually remove all fog of war as well... no matter if the game has such a thing or not. XD

This is why boundaries are great in my opinion, because it helps me a lot, since it means I can stop looking around in that particular direction. XD

I've never played a game that didn't have any boundaries, it's always something like impassable mountains or a toxic wasteland that drains your life, so I don't know how I'd do without them. It'd probably lead to me exploring WAY too far out and getting lost for hours

BjornTheBandit;n8620790 said:
earlier in the thread, there was chatter of terrible controls, but you've all forgotten the worst of them all. The original Resident Evil. great game, awful awful awful controls

Yea they where awful but excusing bad movement and controls design in modern day games(cough CDPR, Rockstar, etc,) compared to bad movement design to late 90s to early 2000s games isn't really a good comparison due how much better game design and tech is now.

Last edited:
BjornTheBandit;n8719900 said:
I've never played a game that didn't have any boundaries, it's always something like impassable mountains or a toxic wasteland that drains your life, so I don't know how I'd do without them.

They could make the gameworld a globe. Go enough to the east and you'll come back from the west, go enough north and you'll come back from the south.

That's not really for this game, though. Unless it's for some braindance trickery fucking with the characters mind.

They could always make gameworld torus shape. If it will be a big night city nobody will notice.
There are some limits of what is possible in resonable budget.
It could be more important of dense or interactive area is, and how many stories is trap on terrain.
Gentle teleporting when we jump off the map is ok.
Witcher 3 flexible map loading was too cool to not use again.

metalmaniac21;n8771210 said:
>A twist - CP2077 main story was a braindance and not real! Fuck, no!

>you just defeated the final boss
>he's on the floor waiting for his death
>"You finally defeated me, the badest villain Night City has ever known."
>the boss says: "Guess you're the real hero this city needs...or perhaps I'm wrong about that..."
>the main character asks: "You were wrong about me being the hero?"
>"No. I was wrong about you being... real"
>*final boss looks at the camera*
>*winks*
>roll credits
PERSONAL RESPONSABILITY

Top Bottom