Cyberpunk Roles - Which One Will You Be

+

Cyberpunk Roles - Which One Will You Be

• Total voters
My approach to combat is pretty simple: "She who knows to run away lives to flee another day."

That's not to say I don't fight of course, I just keep in mind something most combat vets will tell you: "If you're in a fair fight you're doing something wrong."

Calistarius;n8628430 said:
On top of that, I would want him to be fully human, with no tech what so ever in his body, with the only tech he uses being actual devices which he can easily discard if he needs to.

I really wonder how viable that will be (or if it's even possible at all). my initial idea was the same. I wanna play as a completely unenhanced person with great contempt (and sometimes disgust) towards any and all cyborgs. but I'm not sure if the game will allow it..

lord_blex;n8672760 said:
I really wonder how viable that will be (or if it's even possible at all). my initial idea was the same. I wanna play as a completely unenhanced person with great contempt (and sometimes disgust) towards any and all cyborgs. but I'm not sure if the game will allow it..
Why wouldn't it if they follow the CP2020 ruleset?
This isn't Deus Ex where you start as a cyborg, in fact you should start totally unenhanced and have the option to have a few basic augments should you wish.

The only role that pretty much requires augmentation is Netrunner, and that only an interface plug.

Suhiira;n8673910 said:
Why wouldn't it if they follow the CP2020 ruleset?

I'm actually not terribly familiar with the ruleset and the game, so I don't know how "required" implants are for staying alive in the situations a usual storyline would drop you into.

but that aside, we don't know how closely cp2077 will follow the original. I'm a bit afraid that if they make a comprehensive (and flashy) implant system then not "upgrading" throughout the game would be like not spending your perk/skillpoints in other games. they probably want (most) implants to feel useful/powerful, so they have to balance around people having those powerful "abilities".
and we also don't know where the story will take us..

Did you ever play Shadowrun?

It has cyberware too, and if you're a mage class the last thing you want is implants, so the game is perfectly playable without them.

Suhiira;n8679580 said:
Did you ever play Shadowrun?

It has cyberware too, and if you're a mage class the last thing you want is implants, so the game is perfectly playable without them.

Not..really. You -can- play without cyberware in shadowrun...better have magic. Otherwise people with one or both of those things will out-capacity you in the game and NPCs, unless the GM adapts the NPCS for you, will stomp you.

Cyberware and magic are there as advantages. If you don't have them and you stray into a field where the other gal does, you are fighting uphill. Life and death, that's a bad idea. Hell, even in non-life-and-death, chipped and boosted people will have better memories, more skills, pheromones to make you like them, superior sexual endurance, etc. etc.

If you want to keep up, gear up. You can say you're going to fight smart or fight dirty - so can the other guy.

Again, this is unless the GM is going easy on you. If your GM is trying to be nice or make unenhanced as capable as enhanced, then sure. Some give out extra skill points or more money for gadgets, etc.

I could see you being able to play the game without cyberware, for example if you were a rockerboy or corporate with a proper security detail. How that would work as far as game mechanics go, I have no idea. After all, it would be interesting if, and very unlikely that the game could be played without anyone ever trying to physically hurt you, so you'd definitely need those solos accompanying you. Perhaps a really sophisticated companion/minion system?

As a fixer, you might get by pretty far by being a slick talker, having information, and being useful to people. But, again, what if some boosters take aim at you? As a nomad, perhaps your family is with you often enough to give you strength in numbers. A media could survive without cyberware, assuming they don't venture too deep into the combat zone. So, basically, just cover some puppy birthdays and so on.

A techie could simply work at some shop somewhere, fixing AVs and so on. Or, a medtechie, riding in an AV bus, just saving rich people in the corp zone. Both might get by without cyberware. Netrunners could just spend their time in some dark room somewhere, never jacking in, just using haptics to run the Net.

Still... The game is called Cyberpunk 2077. Does it make that much sense not to have any cyberware? Is it just a kind of a "I want to be a special snowflake and rebel against what's expected" -kneejerk to play without cyberware in a cyberpunk game? I don't know. In our amazing eurosolo campaign couple decades back, one of our eurosolos did start the game out without any cyberware. We were playing eurosolos though, with maxed out stats, and pimped out custom weaponry, and the best pharmaceuticals available. Initiative and hitting someone in the eye with his Mark II without cyberware wasn't a problem for him. Doubt there'll be eurosolos in 2077 though. Shame, really.

Last edited:
Sydanyo;n8687970 said:
Still... The game is called Cyberpunk 2077. Does it make that much sense not to have any cyberware? Is it just a kind of a "I want to be a special snowflake and rebel against what's expected" -kneejerk to play without cyberware in a cyberpunk game? I don't know. In our amazing eurosolo campaign couple decades back, one of our eurosolos did start the game out without any cyberware. We were playing eurosolos though, with maxed out stats, and pimped out custom weaponry, and the best pharmaceuticals available. Initiative and hitting someone in the eye with his Mark II without cyberware wasn't a problem for him. Doubt there'll be eurosolos in 2077 though. Shame, really.

I don't think the term "Cyberpunk" necessarily only playes at that all people are somehow all kitted out with Cyberware. I think it more referes to the world as a whole, that a massive part of the world relies on digital stuff. Yes, people being augmented is part of Cyberpunk, but not everyone is. The Cyber part of Cyberpunk do, as far as I remember, refer to a lot more then just Cyberware... the main thing it tends to refer to (befor Cyberware) as far as I know is Cyberspace, but can alse aside from those two things refer to things like Nanotechnology and Biotechnology, etc.

As for my reason to want to play a characters with no Cyberware. That has got nothing, what so ever, to do with wanting to go against the expected, or or against the grain/norm/etc, or wanting to be a special snowflake or what ever. I could care less if almost 100% of every person in a Cyberpunk world was augmented or not. I mean... I don't like Wolverine or Death's Head II (the two comicbook characters which share my Nr 1 "Favorit comic book character of all time" slot.), because almost everybody else in the world likes Wolverine, or because Death's Head II is an extremely obscure Marvel character which almost nobody knows about... I like those characters because... well... I like them... everybody else's opinion matters not. XD

So with the character without Cyberware... I just like the idea of a character not using Cyberware (atleast the kind which has to be operated in to the persons body or something). I do also see scenarios where such a thing could be an advantage. Yeah, sure, a person who is has a lot of cyberware will most likely be better then your average person who has no cyberware. And the numbers of advantages scenarios for not being cybered up are probably fairly few... but I am not to bothered by that either.

I mean if I was bothered by the idea of not playing a character/game/etc in an optimal manner, then I would have for example changed the way I play the game Blood Bowl 20 years ago (I started to play BB almost 22 years ago). But since I like to play that game the way I do, because I think it is A LOT more fun to play that game that way rather then what is considered to be the optimal and safest way to play that game to try and ensure victory... due to that I decided a long time ago that I would rather have fun playing the game, then sit there and be bored out of my mind playing in a style which I did not like. I would rather lose and have fun playing, then win and be bored. And that is by far not the only place/thing/game where I tend to do things in a sub-optimal manner... but like I said befor, it's not to go against the grain, I just opt to play/do what ever it is in the manner which I find to be the most fun... and if that happends to go along with what everybody else think/do, or compleatly go against them all, so be it... because I really could not care less what other people might or might not think/do with what ever it is. XD

At the same time... part of the reason I am not all that interested in Cyberware is sort of simmilar to how I feel about Magic... not as strong though, just "simmilar adjacent". When it comes to making and playing a character, be it in PnP RPG's, or in computer/console games, I have always felt that Magic is some of the most boring thing ever. I don't mind seeing it in movies, reading about it in books, or having characters in a game use it... it can be fun to see/read about it, and in games where you have more the one character (Dragon Age Origins for example) I have no problems what so ever in having one or two of the characters be a mage (amount depends on how many characters you can have total). But when it comes to my character, the one I created, the one who fairly often represent me in the game, where technicly "I" where to use magic... that is where I find magic to be one of the most boring thing ever... and as long as I have a choice in the matter, my characters never use something like magic. In fantasy I like and prefer melee characters in heavy armor, who do not use any kind of magic what so ever. In modern/sci-fi games the melee is just replaced with ranged weaponry. That is why I tend to play those kinds of charactera almsot every single time I play games, because that/those are the archetypes I like to play... and like I said, magid bore me to no end when it comes to my own character... no matter if that is in fantasy, or in modern types of things, or in sci-fi. I would much rather play a Stormtrooper, then a Jedi and/or Sith.

Unlike magic though, I don't mind the idea of playing a fully Cyberroided up character... it's just a type of character which I would play in limited amounts. Most characters I might play who did use Cyberware, would probably only have a few things augmented, and only very specific things connected to the concept of the character. The none cybered, and limited cybered, characters would both probably end up being in roughly the same numbers, with heavily cybered up characters being in a limited numbers (something like 10-20% at most out of all of them). Both characters which I have played in the new Shadowrun games, by Harebrained schemes, only ever had that cybernetic implant thing you needed to be able to use the Cyberdecks... and none of my own characters in those games used magic either.

So yeah... the only reason I would play a none cybered up character in Cyberpunk 2020, and/or 2077, would be because I like the idea of it, and because it might be more fun to me... not because I somehow would want to go against the grain or the genre or what ever... like I said, I could care less what others do or do not do, or what others might or might not think about it, in something like this. XD

Last edited:
how about unlocking roles? lets some roles are really hard to complete the game as like NetRunner and you can only pick it after beating the game once. what do u guys think?

felixsylvaris;n8695490 said:
Netrunner. Since that allows to play most of the game. I can play Solo in any othe game. Not many games for netrun.

well see how much netrunning you can do...i assume its mostly to take down the defences of the enemy before stepping in and blasting. but it would be cool if you could netrun the entire game without even leaving your apartment. and theres an achievement for it lol

The problem with netrunning in 2020 always was that if you had a single Netrunner in the group, playing a whole event for that person meant that the rest of the group were left fiddling their thumbs for quite a long time, doing nothing. I feel there might also be a problem in 2077 with netrunning in that it can't exactly be made too extensive and complex, and therefore rewarding for someone who simply wants to do that and nothing else; it might just be way too much work for only those people who'll play the Netrunner role.

I'm kind of hoping they'll just make it a kind of a 2D interface that is reminiscent of Uplink, but looks more like the drawings and datagrams in, for example, Rache Bartmoss' Guide to the Net.

So, for example:

Have a GUI a bit like that, with squares and stuff. Then you can just clicketyclick stuff and move through it a bit like a roguelike game, then have your software do combat with the enemy software and so on. Nothing too fancy. Definitely doesn't need to be like a 3D cyberspace like in System Shock or something.

Last edited:
Yeah that was always the problem with netrunning, most of your group was left twiddling their thumbs. In a single player game that won't be a problem tho.
The question is, how do you handle it if your characters not a netrunner? The way Shadowrun did? You play whatever team mate has the skills during that portion of the game?

Calistarius;n8689930 said:
.....................I mean if I was bothered by the idea of not playing a character/game/etc in an optimal manner, then I would have for example changed the way I play the game Blood Bowl 20 years ago (I started to play BB almost 22 years ago). But since I like to play that game the way I do, because I think it is A LOT more fun to play that game that way rather then what is considered to be the optimal and safest way to play that game to try and ensure victory... due to that I decided a long time ago that I would rather have fun playing the game, then sit there and be bored out of my mind playing in a style which I did not like. I would rather lose and have fun playing, then win and be bored. And that is by far not the only place/thing/game where I tend to do things in a sub-optimal manner... but like I said befor, it's not to go against the grain, I just opt to play/do what ever it is in the manner which I find to be the most fun... and if that happends to go along with what everybody else think/do, or compleatly go against them all, so be it... because I really could not care less what other people might or might not think/do with what ever it is. XD...........................So yeah... the only reason I would play a none cybered up character in Cyberpunk 2020, and/or 2077, would be because I like the idea of it, and because it might be more fun to me... not because I somehow would want to go against the grain or the genre or what ever... like I said, I could care less what others do or do not do, or what others might or might not think about it, in something like this. XD

I'm noticing that we tend to agree and feel similarly about alot of things.....

Anyways, some of us deliberately make choices that wouldn't be optimal, because we like those choices more. I choose to wear shorts when it's below freezing outside, because I want to. I'm not trying to be cool, or act tough, I just like being cold. I choose to have unsweetened and steaming hot tea even in the summer, because I like it. I refuse to fix certain parts of my car, because I like that it tries to murder me every once in awhile (like an untrained attack dog, you never know when it's going to bite, or who!)

Not optimal, but it's still my choice to make, and I choose the path I like better, everyone else's opinions be damned.

Honestly i would like to play as seversl roles in this game. My first one im def going solo but then i wanna do a fixer playthrough as well as netrunner. So i hope that the game and world of night city plays differently based on your character role.

DarthRaver8686;n8722500 said:
i hope that the game and world of night city plays differently based on your character role.

There are probably role-related quests, and then quests any role can finish. The "main plot" for the character may also be different depending on the role. As for to what degree that makes your playthrough significantly different, who knows.

Sydanyo;n8722840 said:
There are probably role-related quests, and then quests any role can finish. The "main plot" for the character may also be different depending on the role. As for to what degree that makes your playthrough significantly different, who knows.

Ideally, it should work something like this:

The characterbuild and choices you make open and close doors (storybranches, mission options, gameplay opportunities...) around the game, so while there will inevitably be some overlapping, you will get an experience that's unique (to as large degree as possible) to the character you're currently playing, and no single character can "get it all".

Last edited:
One can but hope there will be a number (more then 1-3 ... say 5+) of side quests that are role specific and that at certain points along the main (and other side) quests there will be role specific options.

Obviously they can't (from a practical standpoint) make the entire game role specific. But the typical 1-2 options you tend to see in most games is pure fluff because it's insufficient to make any role stand out for it's specific abilities.

That said ... keep in mind that in PnP Cyberpunk each role has one, and only one, skill the others can't access.

And just to clarify for those who haven't played 2020, each character starts out with a career skill package (including their special ability), that is set for each role. They then spend 40 points among those skills. They then get to spend some points into "pickup skills", which may be skills from other roles' career skill package; the number of pickup skill points is their REF and INT stats added together. This would often be around 15-20 depending on how minmaxed the character is, or it could be even something as low as 5-10. So that doesn't necessarily buy a whole hell of a lot of skills that are typically for other roles. Obviously the special ability is unique to each role, and that can't be bought with pickup skill points, as was mentioned.

Also, in order to get better in skills later on, in 2020 one often actually has to be taught how to do something, or at the very least that something has to be studied. It's up to the GM if a new skill can be acquired just by trial and error, but if you think about it, several things kind of can't be, and shouldn't be.

However, how closely 2077 follows the 2020 style, and how willy nilly the PC can actually just learn whatever they want is obviously up to RED. I just hope they don't drop the ball on that, and make something plausible yet fun to play.

Top Bottom