Gameplay - depth vs complexity vs fun

+

Gameplay - depth vs complexity vs fun

• Total voters
Sardukhar;n7535780 said:
Heh. Remember firing that stupid .38 you start with, if you had few or no points in Firearms? "WHY? WHY AM I MISSING? HE'S RIGHT THERE! WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS CROSSHAIR??!"

Oh, good times.

Then, later, Celerity 5 and autoshotgun? Mmmm. Delicious.
A touch of realism that makes the game even more immersive nonetheless. And also a good point against gaming journalism in general. Mainstream press didn't recognize role-playing game in VtM:B and judged it as a shooter. If CDPR try to do the same for CP2077, the history will just repeat itself,

Last edited:
metalmaniac21;n7541600 said:
A touch of realism that makes the game even more immersive nonetheless. And also a good point against gaming journalism in general. Mainstream press didn't recognize role-playing game in VtM:B and judged it as a shooter. If CDPR try to do the same for CP2077, the history will just repeat itself,
So?
Quit trying to improve and just follow the mainstream?

Nope, I like and support CDPR because they aren't afraid to buck the system and do what they think is right.
Who cares what the Mainstream press thinks. their games sell well because PEOPLE want and buy them not because of what the Mainstream press thinks of them.

Last edited:
Suhiira;n7543470 said:
Just keep in mind who's (people not interested in games) behind laughable articles that yet to come when CP2077 is ready, like TW3 review by polygon or any Vampire: Bloodlines review written back in 2004.

Last edited:
WalteriusMaximus;n7896000 said:
OK so you want a stat-heavy RPG. That's fine. But you also have to understand that table-top RPG's are really a comparatively small section of the gaming market.
I have been playing pen and paper rpg's for just over 21 years now, I am well aware of the relative size of it. ;) Even more so living in Sweden. XD

But I would have to say yes and no to your comment though. Yes, it is a lot smaller then let's say the video game industry... but No because it is a lot bigger then most would think. Apperantly it is estimated that D&D alone had during it's life time (between 1974-2004 at the time) been played by 20 million people, and had during the same time sold about 1 billion $ worth of products. And it is apperantly estimated that about 6 million people played D&D during 2007. How they got these numbers I don't know... still though, it's pretty damn big numbers. And this is only one PnP RPG game alone... granted, the most known, and most played, and most sold one of them all... no other probably comes close I guess... but still... there is probably hundreds of other different PnP RPG's out there.

And heck, even in a small of a market as Sweden (currently ~10 mil in population) there has always been since the early 80's, and still is to this day, a very thriving market of PnP RPG's making. There has been a huge amount of them really since 82, as can seen by the images on this page (each collumn in the images is of course the year, where as most of the rows represent different pnp rpg's... some games go into new decade as well, Drakar & Demoner (Dragons & Demons) was the first Swedish one, and is still around today... a small number of rows (handfull or so) though do not represent Swedish made rpg's or pnp rpg's at all, a few are translated rpg's, like LotR and Star Wars... and a few pnp rpg magazines like the one called Fenix).

Since 2014, ten (10) different Swedish PnP RPG's has come out, where it was either the first version of that game, or a new edition of that game... a few thanks to kickstarter/indie gogo campaigns. Eon, my nr 1 favorit pnp rpg system ever (played it for 20 years now, so only 1 year less then Drakar & Demoner which was my first pnp rpg ever), got it's 4th edition in 2014, partly thanks to using a crowdfunding campaign to help them be able to actually make the printed books to sell (their first batch of new supplement for the game is about to start coming out as well, most of them have actual jobs outside of making the pnp rpg stuff as well). Many of these games has also goten a few or several suppliments to them as well since then. But 8 other, different from those 10, pnp RPG's has also goten a few to some several new suppliments to their lines as well (including Drakar & Demoner) during these 3 years.

And almost all of this "surviving", that the Swedish pnp rpg making has been doing for the past 35 years, has almost only been done within the Swedish border, with almost no help from sales from outside of Sweden... because only a few of these Swedish made pnp rpg's, which has come out since 1982, has been released in English as well. The only one's I know of currently who have translations to other languages is "Kult" (horror game), and all editions (I think) of "Mutant Chronicles" (sort of a post-apocalyptic space (in our starsystem), dieselpunk (with some futuristic steampunk'ish ) type of a sci-fi... which in it's latest edition (3rd I think, from only a few years ago) was made by a none Swedish company... heck there was even a film made based on this game almost 10 years ago... the film was.. so so... XD it did not do justice to the IP unfortunatly)... but I think there might be a few more games translated to English as well from back then (80's´to early or mid 90's)... most where not though, not because we did not think they could make it (there has always been a pretty huge amount of us Swedish pnp rpg'ers who wondered why many of our favorit Swedish pnp rpg's where not translated to English... the big one for me has always been Eon with this), but I think more so due to the sheer cost and time it would take to do it for them. I do know though that there are some several newer ons which are going to get, or have goten, an English version of them during the last few years (heck... En Worlds "Top 10 anticipated rpgs" for 2017 includes 4 Swedish rpg's, 3 of them which take up the nr 1-3 spots... yay us! ...I guess... XD ).

So yeah... a somewhat small "niche" in comparison to videogames... but much bigger then most people think. If you start to look around for information about known famous (in various degrees) people who played/plays pnp rpg's, then you will start to find some pretty interesting things. The American entertainment industry for example has a pretty huge amount of them around, but you can find them elsewhere as well.

WalteriusMaximus;n7896000 said:
And I am sure that CDPR understand that they can't make a Nerd game.
I find this comment a bit humerous... considering that one of the main reasons that we even have a videogame industry like we do today, is due to "Nerds". Heck... a huge part of the world most of us live in today is thanks to "Nerds". XD It's only in maybe the last 15 or so years that videogames has become so socially acceptable, and mainstream, that it's is no longer really considered "Nerdy" anymore. XD

I personally do consider my self a nerd, always have. Pretty much all of my interests revolve around nerdy things in general after all.

Meh... I babble... XD

/end

Last edited:
Yeah, I've been doing RPGs since 1975 ... yes original 3 booklets in a box D&D ... and while the market is definitely smaller then the video game market it's not nearly as small as many claim.

Playing PnP games on-line is doable, but rather clunky to say the least. Thus does little to encourage people other then hard-core RPGers to try them.

With the on-line co-op modes available today it could be considerably easier, and more popular, if someone put the effort into making a PC/console RPG ... i.e. one that takes advantage of the mechanics available AND allows the GM to do what they need without needing a degree in Comp Sci.

Looking at what's available currently and claiming there's no market for an improved system is the same as saying: "We have livery stables and stage coaches already, why would anyone go to the trouble of using an automobile when you can't even get fuel for them in most places and they get stuck in the mud all the time even when they're not broken down".

Last edited:
VikingStudios;n7885960 said:
But gameplay is what makes it either an RPG or a Shooter. It doesn't matter if it has a good story and nice quests, if you still play a shooter. Almost all shooters (at least action shooters and 3rd person) have RPG elements nowadays.

Gameplay in an RPG isn't the combat system only.

Actually, the combat system in every RPG is what I find the less interesting part of the game.
I really don't care, for me they are only a side activity between one quest and another.

moonknightgog;n7927540 said:
Gameplay in an RPG isn't the combat system only.
Actually, the combat system in every RPG is what I find the less interesting part of the game. I really don't care, for me they are only a side activity between one quest and another.
Suhiira;n7931060 said:
Yep I agree. The combat is usually the part of the game that interests me least.

But for others, like me, combat is also an important part of the game. And it destroys a lot, if the combat doesn't fit to the rest of the game. Also the combat influences how the character skill system will look.
For me, it makes a big difference if it is ME/DA:I combat or Deus Ex combat.

Oh I know combat is VERY important to a lot of players, trouble is, a good many of them don't think the rest of the games systems are terribly important if the combat is good.

On the other hand, how could you lower the violence and action if Cyberpunk is described as rather brutal and violent world... WIthout control distortion, bitch-slapping recoil and heavy penalties for using melee at low skills there won't even be a resemblance of RPG and progression.

The things which for me makes a game more, or less, "RPG"... is the character system and it's complexity, the potentual growth of it, how that system effects how you character interacts with the world and it's inhabitants, and how you play the game in everything basicly... and also where the "controll" of what happends when you do things is (in general atleast), if your characters attributes and skills matter the most or not (if not, and it is the players skill with the mouse and keyboard that matters the most in verious things, then it get's a much lower score on the "how 'rpg' it feels"... this tends to mostly be the combat aspect of the thing, but can to a varied degree be in other things of the game as well (it is difficult to turn of, or have the game hinder, your own intelligence for example when you play a game.. where as it is pretty easy to hinder how usefull a players real twitch-skills are in the game)). As in the whole stats part of it... the characters attributes (Strength, intelligence, etc). and skills (tracking, computers, rifles, swords, etc.. what they are obviously depend on which setting the game has, be it medieval, sci-fi, etc).

Everything else... be it story, conversation systems, combat, inventory/equipment systems, crafting, abilities systems (things like the ability/skill trees in games like WoW or other mmo's, or to a varried degree with Skyrim (the abilities there are sort of a mix between a skill system and an ability system), or the one in the new Deus Ex games, and of course the Mass Effect series), etc... can for me feel more or less RPG as well, but in general at a much lower and smaller range then the character system is (when one of these things feel "the most rpg" that they can feel for me, then they still don't feel as much rpg as the mid to higher levels of a character system does for me). Basicly, like I said, it depends on how much of these things are effected by the character system, and at what degree they are effected by it, and at what degree the players own skills matters (again, mostly in combat, but can have some effect in other things as well).

Of course... just a heavy and complex character system alone, where everything else is none or very little "rpg-like", is not enough to make a game reach a point of "full/proper/real rpg status" for me... you usually need atleast a few other systems to be a bit, to a lot, more rpg-like for the entire thing to reach a status of being a full/proper/real RPG for me. And I can consider a game... that does not have any, or very limited amounts and scope, with the character system and it's complexity... as being an "rpg", especially if many of those other aspects of that game has a higher level of rpg-feeling to them... but at best I would then call them rpg-lite's.

The reason I feel this about these things, that the character system matters the most... and that the other things do not matter as much as the character system and it's complexity... when it comes to "how rpg it feels" for me, is because these other things... be it story, or conversations, combat, inventory, etc, etc, etc... they are things that can, and do, exist in games which are not rpg's at all. They are actually pretty common amongst games which are not rpg's at all. Granted, you can find games which are not rpg's at all which do have a character system to one degree or another, but these games are very few, and in general said character systems tend to be very limited in their complexity... it's just not as common in none rpg's... they are at best the exeptions that sort of proves the rule I guess. Because for the most part, the only place you will find these kinds of character system complexity is RPG's. This is why I find that the levels of character systems complexity, with attributes and skills, and their effects on the game as a whole, to be the most importent factor in determaning "what level of rpg" a game is. If I where to choice the second most importent thing to this "how much rpg like does it feel"-equation, then I would definatly say a conversation system... but it is a fair bit behind the character system for me, since conversation systems are more common outside of rpg's then character systems tends to be.

metalmaniac21;n7933310 said:
On the other hand, how could you lower the violence and action if Cyberpunk is described as rather brutal and violent world... WIthout control distortion, bitch-slapping recoil and heavy penalties for using melee at low skills there won't even be a resemblance of RPG and progression.
You shouldn't.

Thing is a lot of folks think the ability to mow down hordes of faceless, essentially mindless, opponents with a variety of over-the-top weapons or anime kung fu moves is what makes a game good. If CDPR uses the CP2020 system pretty much intact a lot of folks are going to be in for a rude awakening.

Last edited:
Calistarius;n7934130 said:
The reason I feel this about these things, that the character system matters the most... and that the other things do not matter as much as the character system and it's complexity... when it comes to "how rpg it feels" for me, is because these other things... be it story, or conversations, combat, inventory, etc, etc, etc... they are things that can, and do, exist in games which are not rpg's at all. They are actually pretty common amongst games which are not rpg's at all. Granted, you can find games which are not rpg's at all which do have a character system to one degree or another, but these games are very few, and in general said character systems tend to be very limited in their complexity... it's just not as common in none rpg's... they are at best the exeptions that sort of proves the rule I guess. Because for the most part, the only place you will find these kinds of character system complexity is RPG's. This is why I find that the levels of character systems complexity, with attributes and skills, and their effects on the game as a whole, to be the most importent factor in determaning "what level of rpg" a game is. If I where to choice the second most importent thing to this "how much rpg like does it feel"-equation, then I would definatly say a conversation system... but it is a fair bit behind the character system for me, since conversation systems are more common outside of rpg's then character systems tends to be.
''Conversations''(branching dialogs) are not common in other genres at all. There are 2 genres that have them-RPGs and Adventure games.
Stats, on the other hand, is something that majority of games have nowadays.

Units in Total War series have a lot of stats for example. Attack, defence, HP, damage, armor-piercing, charge, missle block etc(more stats then in some rpgs actually). And you can level up them too! They fight and improve their stats over time, similar to how you get slowly stronger in Morrowind by hitting things. No twitch skills required either, you click and characters start hitting each other while rolling dice on the background. Kinda how characters do it in RTwP RPGs.

Or how about Crusader Kings. Characters have stats like warfare, cunning, diplomacy etc. And all kinds of cool perks, both positive and negative, like genius, ugly, imbecile, dull, shy, adventurer etc. This game has more perks than any RPG to date. You can actually create a character and spread points as you like, as you would do in RPG, and create some very colourful individual. Stats affect how effective this character is in different situations, as well as how other characters react to him.

And then there is XCOM of course. Characters lvl-up, get new abilities, improve stats, you can choose gear etc. Like in RPGs.

However, no one ever called this games RPGs. No one even dared once to call them '' games with RPG elements''.

One big thing that almost all RPGs have but strategy/tactical games dont. Branching dialog. A tool that allows you to actually role-play, act as you think this particular character should act. Why do a lot of people have easier time calling games like Mass Effect and Witcher RPG, but not Dark Souls or Diablo. Because at least 50% of Mass effect or Witcher consists of dialogs, role-playing.

Of course this is not the only tool for role-playing. In Bloodlines you can sneak, hack, lockpick, seduce and hit people with a sword. The point is, when you try to determine genre, the main question should be ''what was the design goal ?''. Was it to create role-playing experience or something else? Is combat here to serve RPG, or RPG to serve combat. What is the main thing people love Mass Effect for? Combat, or that you have the option to punch reporter in the face or throw guy out the window? What is the main reason people love Dark Souls? Combat, or RPG elements(if there are any)?
When you ask this kind of questions things become clearer in my opinion. This why I am annoyed when people put games like Witcher, Mass Effect, Gothic, Bloodlines in the same genre with Souls games, Diablo or Dragons Dogma. Yes, they all have action and rpg in them. But they are completely different at their core. You cant just slap Action-RPG label on everything.

When it comes to affecting dialogs with stats. I didn't ever played PnP rpgs, so correct me if I am wrong. Isnt the core gameplay consists of players making choices as characters(role-playing) and trying to prevail, while all deep character systems are there to support(rather then being main point of the game because stats and numbers are cool) that and restrict players?

I ask because I have two games on my mind, Fallout 2 and Dragon Age: Origins. In Fallout 2, if you have low intelligence, you are forced to speak as stupid character. In Dragon Age, however, stats dont affect your dialogue at all BUT you get lots of dialogue options to say what you feel your character should say. If I have certain type of character in mind, I can still role-play as him without mechanical restrictions, because number of dialogue options through the game allow me to. If a game alows you to role-play without skill checks and restrictions, does lack of this things really make it lesser RPG. Just thinking.

What kinda bothers me, is that RPG stands for Role-Playing Game, and often, definitions that I read on the internet from some people dont make much sense to me. If actual role-playing is not part of RPG, then why call it that? Call it something else. ''Character Building Simulator''. ''Tactical game with pause and lots of stats''."Loot and lvl up''. Whatever. Forget ''RPG'' and call what it really is. I dont care how traditionaly genre was called. We dont call Dramas Action movies, we dont call Comedies Horror movies. It doesnt work you change it. And then all this debates ''what is RPG'' will be over.

Sorry for my sloppy English.

Last edited:
Well... as I said, this is what I, capital I underscored, I... think and feel a "real rpg" is. I did also say that it does take more then just a big complex stats system to make a game reach a degree where I would call it a "real/proper" rpg... that you need several other parts of the game to be highly rpg-like to reach that "level". And one of those things is definatly a conversation system... and I did say as much as well at the end of my post, where I said I found that to be the second most importent.

But I do understand that my posts tends to be so big most of the time that it is easy to miss parts of what I say... but that's just how things are with me and writing things... I always write way to much, I cant help my self.

Anyway... most people would probably place the conversation system as the main part of an rpg... and I understand them compleatly on that aspect. But... for me that is not how I feel when it comes to rpg's, it's second at best for me... and the main reason to that comes mostly from what I like and don't like about for example pen and paper rpgs, and what I like and don't like about vieogame rpg's.

One of the things which I like the least about pen and paper rpg's is the whole social aspect of them... talking, "acting" my character when speaking, and all that stuff. Those are things which I am just not very good at, and I don't really enjoy them either very often... because they can make me feel uncomfortable. I am the same way in "real life", with talking to people in general, it's just not one of the aspect i enjoy very much or often when it comes to the "human experience". I almost never "speaks in my characters voice" when they talk... most of the time I instead prefer going the whole route of "With a tone of X, my character says 'y and z' to the npc's, intending to intimidate them"... I prefer explaining how and with what intent my character says something, and then say the entire thing, or parts of it, with my own normal voice.

The things which I enjoy the most about pen and paper rpg's has always been (in no particular order) the character creation, the character getting better at what they do, combat, and the whole part of rolling the dice against skills and what not to see if your character succeeds with what you have them doing... and for me that includes the whole aspect of conversations.

And by that last bit, rolling dice when it comes to conversations... that bit comes down to that if there is one thing which I hate over anything else in pnp rpg's, is when a gamemaster goes by a rule of that my own skill in something overrides my characters skill in it... especially when it comes to the social aspect of your character talking, convince NPC's of what ever it may be... bartering or making them do things, or what ever. Because if you do that, then why does your character even have social skills to begin with if your own skill in talking overrides that. I would not ask a player to go outside and try to lift a big rock when their character has to try and lift something... so why should the players conversational skill override their characters social skills as well. I do understand that there are aspect of this which is hard to get rid of, where it can be hard to seperate your own skill in things from your characters, especially when it comes to things like intellectual capacity and what not... but that is one of the reason that your characters skill level, and the dice you roll, is there to help keep in check partly. One of the big things about pnp rpg's is that you can play anything you want after all, even things which you your self is not good at, things you your self is not. If I had to stick with only playing characters who where good and/or bad at the same things as me, then I would have to play characters that would come close to be unable to sell a refrigerator to someone who lives in a desert... XD I am probably exaggerating there, but I hope you get my drift... your own skills and abilities and what not should not in any way dictate what you can and can not play.

It is very common for conversations in pnp rpg's to be done with no dice at all, especially if it is between players... and with npc's as well, especially when your not trying to convince them to do something. But once you start to want to make an NPC do something, give you information they do not want to give, sell that shield for half the price, or what ever... that is when the dice come in, or should come in rather in my opinion (since sometimes some GM's don't do that... which annoys me as mentioned).

And with rpg in videogame format... as much as I do like the conversation systems in them... and as much as I never skip reading/listening to what NPC's say in the games (I really dislike the idea of just skipping through entire conversations as I see some people do. I rather spend 5 hours reading/listening to all a character has to say (no matter if wht they say is actually importent to the story of the game or not), befor moving on, then skip it all in less then 5 minuts or something). The things I enjoy the most in video game rpg's is more or less the things I enjoy the most in pnp rpg's. Character creation and advancement, combat, and using the characters skills, etc. Which ones again points towards why I place conversation systems in rpg's as second to the stats and skill systems.

As for games like XCOM... I have no problems what so ever with calling XCOM "a turn-based tactical game, with rpg elements"... because that is exactly, and partly, why I love some of these games so much... XCOM being one of them... thanks to the whole rpg feeling of them for me. Since I first encountered UFO: Enemy Unknown (or X-Com: Defence as it was renamed to in America) and it's successor back in the mid 90's, the remakes with XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Within and 2 a few to many years ago, Mordheim: City of the Damned a year or so ago, and a lot of other games like them... I have liked those games partly thanks to the fact that they do to me feel slightly rpg-like in some aspect of them. Hell... the reason I like Dawn of War 2 a lot more then Dawn of War 1, was because DoW2 felt slightly rpg-like to me (of course, I also liked DoW2 more because I felt that game represented Space Marines a lot better then DoW 1 ever did... just one squad of Space Mariens can lorewise wreak havoc like none other can... but in DoW 1 that was just not the case... atleast not to the level that they should have been... even DoW 2 does not reach it entirely either). So yeah... I have no problems what so ever, and have never been afraid of, saying that a game is "rpg-like" or "has rpg elements" in them, even when the majority of people would totaly disagree with me.

But yeah, that is totally because the whole stats and skills thing is so importent to me when it comes to all things RPG... but again, like I said... for a game to reach a level of being a "real/true/proper RPG" to me, it needs to have more then "just" a complex and deep stats and skill system for the characters.

Recipe for "Fun" Gameplay

Subjective of course, but think there are a number of ( more) objective points that contribute to what makes gameplay in some games feel more "fun"/addicting to play than others

1. Responsiveness and controls

In a word: Titanfall II. Remove every enemy from the game and I'd still end up running and bouncing of walls like a maniac, to no end. Movement and controls feel just that good.

2. State of "Flow"

Give player maximum control and then set difficult goals for him to achieve, requiring high level of skill.

3. Open systems with High level of interaction

This is something "Immersive Sims" or more tactical games are built for...Avernum, Dark Messiah or recent Zelda are known for allowing a ton of solutions to problems for creative players to discover and play around with.

4. Strong Base feedback: Hit reactions, Visuals and Sounds

Listen to these gun sounds from Syndicate: https://youtu.be/XClfGviBH-0?t=329

Or this:

5. Gameplay "Tempo", building "Contrast"

Mass Effect signature ability, Charge is good example:

Slow visual and audio feedback lead up to explosive release, like an arrow.

6. Reward system within gameplay systems: High risk, high gain

7. No easy solutions for every scenarios, but do not overbalance ( "nerf") everything either

8. Chaotic, upredictable elements in system of rewards/or mechanics ( like with Diablo series)

This is all nice for a good action/shooter; plenty of action, precision, oomph and feedback, fluidity of movement and so on.... But I see little in the way of making "fun" RPG gameplay; given that and the example games here I can't really get behind any of this (specifically with Cyberpunk 2077 in mind, were this a general games forum, it'd be a different story).

Top Bottom