Player Housing

+
If the world is so bad no one outside a Corp Zone can even stash their next meal without it being stolen you have total anarchy. In such a game all you can do is react to essentially random events.

Oh, it's not that bad for normals, you know that. Outside the CZ,anyway.

-Players- on the other hand, are caught up in plots! Intrigues! Have enemies! It's that bad for them. Lucky things.

Oh, it's not that bad for normals, you know that. Outside the CZ,anyway.

-Players- on the other hand, are caught up in plots! Intrigues! Have enemies! It's that bad for them. Lucky things.
As long as there's a "reason" not just random events.

If the world is so bad no one outside a Corp Zone can even stash their next meal without it being stolen you have total anarchy. In such a game all you can do is react to essentially random events.

That's why a safehouse has to be super secure fitted with security cameras, sensors, turrets, etc ;) In the beginning, you only have your weapon, club, pistol, etc, to defend yourself. But when you start making connections with factions. you have a variety of ways to defend yourself from locals or strays.

I'd rather your 'home' is literally somewhere you can relax. Perhaps read the lore, or listen to the soundtrack away from the chaos outside. They seemed to be toying with the home idea in W3's Blood and Wine with the wine farm, that you could purchase upgrades for. I'm expecting something along those lines. (an apartment though)

The only truly safe place in Cyberpunk should be this:

If you set up a base then there should be the possibility that your enemies will find it and burn it to the ground. I wouldn't want to see the game turn into Cyberpunk Trading Spaces.

The best bet is to travel light, keep moving, keep 'em guessing.

Attachments

• grave.jpg
    grave.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 40
The only truly safe place in Cyberpunk should be this:

If you set up a base then there should be the possibility that your enemies will find it and burn it to the ground. I wouldn't want to see the game turn into Cyberpunk Trading Spaces.

The best bet is to travel light, keep moving, keep 'em guessing.

In X-Com Apoc your bases would get attacked by the aliens, totally cool, they did that again in an x-com 1 expansion, haven't played the next one yet.

I wouldn't mind. In Bloodlines people find your apartment...won't spoil it.

It would be cool in game to maybe have a home invasion or arrive back at your safehouse to find one thing out of place and have to do a scary sweep.

I don't remember Rick Deckard getting robbed? Hell even JF Sebastian was pretty safe in his ghetto ass apartment until Priss seduced her way in.

Deunan and Briareos lived pretty well in Olympus.

Plenty of cyberpunk protagonists live well, or at least have relatively safe homes, so enough with the "it's not cyberpunk unless it's squatting in a urine soaked cardboard box" bullshit..

I spent over six months real-life living in a hole in the sand in 1990-1991. I really don't feel any need to spend my game time living in a rat and cockroach infested ghetto dive.

I'd rather be a homeless skeezer than own a business AND a well-furnished high grade fully customisable apartment thats independent from the story and character development. Remember how great that vineyard in TW3 was? It wasn't great, it was fucking stupid. The game economy is a failed one if cash sinks like custom player housing is part of the game. I'd much prefer any apartment in the player character's possession be a fixture to the story like Mafia 2 than the Minecraft-spend all of your time building-shit that was in Fallout 4.

In a place like Night City, unless you're part of the highest elite, you're not going to be able to have a stand for your gold plated rocket launcher. I like the shipping container idea as mentioned earlier but anything more than that is ludicrous. Factions shouldn't be a reason the player is allowed to set up six autoturrets outside their front door nor give possibilities for the player to live in a penthouse suite in the CZ.

What I really, really loved was the very first apartment in Vampire Bloodlines. It was a really tiny, a little run down flat in a tenement building. You had to know where it is since you didn't own the building or something. It was just your small flat right over a pawn shop.

What made that place really special though, is that a whole lot of stuff was happening there. And that's what made it magic. Not any potential customization options - but the TV and radio program that would change from time to time. The emails that were often not quest descriptions but instead interactions with characters (building back story and giving life to certain characters). It made the world feel alive - people were doing stuff while you are exploring town. There is really something going on and whenever you get back you're exited to see what news there are to be found!

I think it was that good because it felt like home. It was believable, cozy and alive - just perfect! Hell it even had a fridge and desk to store some stuff :)

If 2077 could capture that feeling - that would be pure magic! Ideally there would be even more activities there - imho it should be possible to sleep there (afaik that wasn't possible in VtMB). Also from time to time characters could come for a visit (maybe only after an explicit invitation? I guess it would be an unwelcome surprise to find someone you don't like in your one-room flat ^^)

Hah - now I hope the devs read this thread - because I would really love to see that!

Yeah there was a lot of stuff done right in Bloodlines. Why in spite of it's many flaws it's still considered an absolute classic puter RPG.

NECRO TIME! Boom, went there!

I was just imagining that scene from Bladerunner where Decker is having a mental crisis and steps out onto the balcony of his apartment... Then (I'm gifted with a VERY vivid imagination) I was there in my head, seeing it through my eyes...

Some kind of pesky feeling from it that I can't pin down. Best way to describe it is a yearning to be there.

Necroing a thread is generally fine, especially with the forums quiet. Gives people and devs a chance to review.

In Bloodlines and Shadowrun you had a base of operations, Ok not customizable, but did that really matter? Neither game would have benefited from dollhouse elements.

Customizing acts as a money sink in most games anymore. I think it's nice but not necessary. IF they do multiplayer and we have our own houses, it would be nice for not me and all my pals to have the exact same apartment with the exact same stains on the walls... but again, not a deal breaker without it

Top Bottom