Older Release Date and General Speculation Thread.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
samoilaaa;n7835920 said:
the only thing i hatet about witcher was that i wasnt able to kill the emperor
give the choice :((((

Eh, honestly that was a good thing, what they did with Radovid was a mistake. At some point, you have to draw to line on how much freedom you want to give to the player, budget and time restrictions playing into demonstrating consequences of player actions. Low key plot, or one focused on relationships/small cast of characters...is what I want to see here. Leave the world (largely) unchanged.
But they need to implement those restrictions better than in games like New Vegas or Skyrim. No matter your skill or "level", attacking Arasaka head honcho is guaranteed suicide.

Meccanical;n7836210 said:
I think we all want to see something new.

Last thing I want from CDPR is for them to start relying on formulas like another developer I know.(Or several I know really)

Here is one thing which I feel sorry for a lot of people for... that some seem to not be able to enjoy a game just because they have played something simmilar befor. I can't imagin having to live like that, where I would be unable to enjoy a new game just because it is very simmilar to a game I used to play.

That would suck, if I had to live like that, in my opinion atleast. I mean, if I had felt like this, then I would probably have stopped playing turnbased rpg games back around about 1999-2000'ish, after having played FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, Suikoden 1, Suikoden 2, and a few others. And if that had been the case, then I would never have found, played, and loved, Fallout 1 and 2, which I first found around 2000-2001'ish... the games which started me on my journey to become a predominantly pc gamer... neither would i have goten to play 2 out of my top 3 favorit FF games, and top 3 games in general for that matter... that of FFX and FFXII. Of course, they are not really turnbased, but in this case it would more be on the aspect of that X and XII are simmilar to previous FF games in various ways.

Basicly... the only criteria I really have for the games I play... is that they are in the genres I like, use the mechanics that I like, have a pretty good story, and are in general somewhat... well... good games. I could care less if they happend to be made with an identical formula as other games that I have played befor... as long as they are somewhat good and interesting.

Same with books, tv-series, movies, comics, etc, really. I would at this point in time not have anything left to read/watch anymore if my mind worked like that... which would suck, because I have a lot of freetime to fill. XD

Heck.. the entire reason that I like the things I like in general is because they follow specific predefined formulas to begin with. XD

Last edited:
Certain game mechanics and UI elements "work". OK ... they may not "work" for you, but they do for the vast majority. Reinventing the wheel for the sake of being different is rather foolish.

VikingStudios;n7884900 said:
"Experience with shooters with RPG elements" is not something that I want to connect with CP77.
What do you think?

I would not worry too much about that, the job is for gameplay design, rather than story and quests. It does not imply that the game will be like Fallout 4.

sv3672;n7885080 said:
I would not worry too much about that, the job is for gameplay design, rather than story and quests. It does not imply that the game will be like Fallout 4.

But gameplay is what makes it either an RPG or a Shooter. It doesn't matter if it has a good story and nice quests, if you still play a shooter. Almost all shooters (at least action shooters and 3rd person) have RPG elements nowadays.

VikingStudios;n7885960 said:
But gameplay is what makes it either an RPG or a Shooter. It doesn't matter if it has a good story and nice quests, if you still play a shooter. Almost all shooters (at least action shooters and 3rd person) have RPG elements nowadays.

It would not be very different from their approach with the Witcher series, though, which is focused mainly on melee combat with swords, while signs and alchemy serve more as supporting skills. There is also no stealth, other than a couple of short sections in TW2. So, it is more about implementing a particular way of playing relatively well and with some room for customization, rather than providing the widest possible range of options. In any case, a one line summary of a job posting does not really tell what the game will be like, so it will not necessarily be focused only on shooting.

shooters with RPG elements

sv3672;n7885080 said:
I would not worry too much about that, the job is for gameplay design

The only real worry I have for the game, and the biggest and most defining element in the whole product.

God, how I wish CDPR would try to monetize with the newly awakened oldschool niche market with the CP licence at the side of this game...

Last edited:
"(...)Experience with shooters with RPG elements" is not something that I want to connect with CP77. What do you think?
WalteriusMaximus;n7885680 said:
Originally posted by VikingStudios View Post http://en.cdprojektred.com/jobs/lead...ay-designer-2/ "Experience with shooters with RPG elements" is not something that I want to connect with CP77. What do you think? Yeah, I'm not at all interested in shooters. It would be a shame if this is the direction CDPR is aiming for.

What do you guys expected after Cyberpunk? Seriously. Some kind of xcom gameplay or witcher melee only or maybe planescape: torment?
This game needs to be a shooter and CDPR said that it's going to be a shooter(RPG) already, so why it suddenly became a problem?

Nazcain;n7886590 said:
What do you guys expected after Cyberpunk? Seriously. Some kind of xcom gameplay or witcher melee only or maybe planescape: torment?
This game needs to be a shooter and CDPR said that it's going to be a shooter(RPG) already, so why it suddenly became a problem?

It's never not been a problem. People are clearly very concerned about this because fans of the Witcher games want a third-person RPG. NOT a stupid shooter. The gaming market is saturated with these dumb shooters already. Last thing in the world we need is yet another shooter game.

WalteriusMaximus;n7888560 said:
It's never not been a problem. People are clearly very concerned about this because fans of the Witcher games want a third-person RPG. NOT a stupid shooter. The gaming market is saturated with these dumb shooters already. Last thing in the world we need is yet another shooter game.

I am just hoping that they are looking at "RPG shooter experience" to find ELEMENTS of that... Original Deus Ex would be a good example of RPG Shooter (NOT HR! liked it but NOT HR PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD)

I mean, they need gunplay in some form, but it shouldn't end up half-lifey or worse... Especially not if Pondsmith is still consulting.

http://en.cdprojektred.com/jobs/lead-gameplay-designer-2/

"Experience with shooters with RPG elements" is not something that I want to connect with CP77.
What do you think?

Stop panicking guys :D, they probably want to fill every important role for Cyberpunk 2077 and their next project which they probably should start pre-production and prototyping this year if they want to release 2 AAA RPG before 2022.

Other job offer:

[h=1]Senior Gameplay Designer, RPG[/h] Design & Creation | Cyberpunk 2077 | Warsaw [h=1]THE VISION[/h]
We are looking for a Senior Gameplay Designer who will work with our Warsaw team and will be responsible for the design and balance of RPG gameplay systems in Cyberpunk 2077. This person’s main task will be to create and modify these systems in order to create a product of the highest quality possible. If this might be your dream job, apply now!

DAILY RESPONSIBILITIES IN A NUTSHELL
  • Work with the Design Director, Lead Gameplay Designer and other designers on establishing and maintaining the vision for key RPG gameplay systems in Cyberpunk 2077.
  • Create mathematical solutions for complex RPG systems (economy, progression, loot etc.) to ensure a well-balanced RPG experience.
  • Design, prototype and work with other disciplines to create compelling gameplay loops at both a macro and micro level.
  • Work with level, quest and sandbox designers to ensure RPG systems are utilized correctly.
  • Throughout production, balance RPG Game Systems.
  • Create and maintain design documentation, both high level concept documents and low level user stories.
  • Encourage and mentor more junior members of the team.
  • Follow and maintain pipelines and technical requirements.

[h=1]REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE[/h] [h=1][/h]
  • At least 3 years in similar role
  • Experience with game editors and game design tools.
  • Excellent math skills.
  • Excellent Microsoft Excel skills.
  • Deep knowledge of both classic pen and paper RPGs and video game RPGs.
  • Both analytic and creative thinking abilities.
  • Extensive knowledge of video games and gaming industry.
  • Excellent communication skills and ability to work and be efficient within a team.
  • Good knowledge of English language.

braindancer12;n7889710 said:
Sounds like

I would prefer to read "Experience with RPGs with shooter elements"

For what it was Syndicate was not a bad game.

I don't think it should have tried to piggyback on the title of a very popular Bullfrog sim, but it was an enjoyable cyberpunk romp....

Dunno about the RPG elements in it though. Still think it was too shootery (at least the single player was)

Still saying Deus Ex would be RPG with Shooter Elements. or shooter/rpg or FPSRPG or whatever.

two things:
first, rpg and rpg-elements are debatable. it's not like skills in the Witcher 3 affected your playstyle much more than Fallout 4 perks, yet a lot of people like to not call fo4 an rpg. so far, CDPR made 2 action-heavy games out of their 3. so no surprises here.
second, they can't exactly say they are looking for people with "7 years of experience in hardcore rpgs with gunplay as a side-dish". it's not like the industry is bursting with people like that.

Last edited:
Why does it have to be a shooter with RPG elements?
Why not an RPG with shooter elements?

It's a matter of the main focus of development and game-play. When it comes to a decision where one of two conflicting options must be selected why not choose the RPG one over the shooter one? As has been said, the market if flooded with shooter centric games, CDPR could simply stress the RPG side. Yes, this will probably make CP2077 a less then stellar shooter, but most folks aren't going to buy it expecting COD2077.

Last edited:
Nazcain;n7886590 said:
What do you guys expected after Cyberpunk? Seriously. Some kind of xcom gameplay or witcher melee only or maybe planescape: torment? This game needs to be a shooter and CDPR said that it's going to be a shooter(RPG) already, so why it suddenly became a problem?

For me it isn't a problem as long as I don't know what CDPR is really doing, how it looks and how it feels.
I expected something like Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines or a 3rd person Deus Ex (with a bit more roleplaying/customization/classes) or something like Mass Effekt but I don't want it to be Borderlands (although I liked it and played it a lot in coop). Something like Fallout New Vegas would be great but less sandbox and better story/characters but that's something CDPR did well with the Witcher series.

Something like ME combat system + KOTOR II world + Dragon Age Origins character development. And story and characters as we are used to from the Witcher.

Nazcain;n7886590 said:

Actually... CDPR said 3 or 4 years ago that it would not be a shooter... or at the very least not be a multiplayer-shooter.

Source.
IGN Question: So what’s next after this game? Can you tell us anything about Cyberpunk 2077?

Marcin Iwinski's answer: People have been asking me if Cyberpunk 2077 will have multiplayer or if it will be a straight-up shooter, and I tell them to relax, because it will be a true RPG game.

We are known for storytelling, and big game worlds, and so we’re taking all what we've learnt from previous three Witcher games, as well as the open-world aspect, and applying it to Cyberpunk 2077. So yes, it is an all-out RPG game, but we're looking at having a lot of new gameplay elements that I cannot talk about yet. One thing I can say for sure is that it is definitely NOT a multiplayer shooter.

Here's one other statements that was made 4 years ago:

Source.
Even the mechanics have been inspired by the game system of the Cyberpunk 2020 pen-and- paper game, though Stępień explained that this process isn't quite as fluid as adapting the game's narrative cues.

"The rules of the pen and paper game are great base material for the game, but straight adaptation isn't as simple as it might seem," Stępień said. "Some skills just cannot work in a video game setting the same way they did in the original game, so we build prototypes, experiment a little and see what will work.

"All the same, you want to try to stay as close to the original game as possible, since it is the inspiration. We even want to have an option of printing your character sheet from the game. Balancing the game and all of its stats while remaining true to the original handbook is one of the main problems our designers try to solve. And I must say, to this point they have been quite successful."

And people wonder why several of us here on this forum are so dogged about CP2077 being more stats and character skill heavy, rather then player skill heavy... because CDPR has to some degree suggested as much, that it might be stat heavy... and of course also because we would like to play a more stat heavy game, a game which does not rely on the players twitch ability. We just want to get another pc rpg, based on a pen and paper rpg, to be true to those routes since most computer/console RPG's these days tend to be RPG-lite (as I usually call it). We want a "True/Proper RPG", because we already get a huge amount of RPG-lite's these days, all these "with RPG elements" games and what not. For once I would like to get a AAA game which is said to be a "RPG with X and Y elements"... not the other way around.

Granted, I don't dislike games with "RPG elements"... "Action role-playing" and what not... Mass Effect is one of my all time favorit game out there after all, and I highly enjoy a lot of other aRPG's as well, old as new. But my favorit kind of RPG is the kind which is very simmilar to pen and paper rpg's, that is partly why I love the 3 original Fallout games so much (1, 2 and Tactics), because they totally reminded me of pnp rpg's. I have been a pnp rpg'er for just over 21 years now, so it is a style of thing which I do enjoy (although the social aspect of rpg'ing is not really one of my favorit aspects, due to that I am not good at "social stuff" even in real life... XD ). So like I said, for once I would like to get a AAA game that is stat heavy, that is a proper cRPG... where the attributes and skills of my character is the thing which matters the most to how the character interact with his or her world, and matters the most to the success of the things my character does... because THAT is how a pen and paper rpg works, and CP2077 is based on a pnp rpg after all.

Do I think this is the game we will get? I don't know, it seems a bit unlikelly, due to other things CDPR has said, and due to what kind of games CDPR has made befor (all of the main Witcher games are aRPG's after all, RPG-lite type of a thing under my definition of it). If CDPR did make Cyberpunk 2077 to be more like Witcher, more aRPG then anything else... then I would probably still enjoy it... just not as much if it was a proper pnp like cRPG.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom