Anyone else have Open World Fatigue?

+
It's not so much open world fatigue as it is...empty world fatigue. I could play a game forever if it had substantial features and was fun enough to keep my attention, but you have "open world games" that are just vast stretches of nothingness. That's what burns me out.

Soldowner;n8430980 said:
It's not so much open world fatigue as it is...empty world fatigue.

That's what you get with "big open worlds". Lots of cardboard emptiness that inflates the games length and creates these pockets of "nothing" when all you have is "going from A to B".

I still hope CDPR will rethink their approach of the "sandbox", and go with interactive and reactive hubs that are freely travelled between (by what ever means), rather than those "two sandboxes" that we've heard of years ago.

kofeiiniturpa;n8431700 said:
That's what you get with "big open worlds". Lots of cardboard emptiness that inflates the games length and creates these pockets of "nothing" when all you have is "going from A to B".

I still hope CDPR will rethink their approach of the "sandbox", and go with interactive and reactive hubs that are freely travelled between (by what ever means), rather than those "two sandboxes" that we've heard of years ago.

Games can use illustration of scale ( which matters a great deal in building ambiance) as much as density of content, so maybe these types of games are just not for you. The trick is managing the balance between the two...Witcher III did an excellent job on that, I think 2077 will do even better.
If you go to extreme on the other end, results can be equally negative...Baldur's Gate II example, where five meters next to peasant houses you have a tomb of 10 000 year old demi lich.

Yuli-Ban;n8464920 said:
Give me at least one sci-fi/cyberpunk GTA/Saints Row clone, and I'll finally agree to this.

Haaaaave you met Wisdom000? aka Datafortress2020? Huge Cyberpunk 2020 site, full of great stuff? Wis is arguably our hardest-core member, even more so than Su, Redge, Eraser or I.

Anyway, he really wants this, a great CP2020 GTA style game. When he returns, you will have a potent ally!

For myself, I prefer a more GTA-style game than a DXHR-style game, I admit. It's close! But Cyberpunk to me is not only story, it's also Legend. And a legend needs scope.

It's not all that hard to pretty much clone another game.
Creating one that has it's own "feel", for instance Dragon Age: Origins or Planescape: Torment, that's an entirely different kettle of fish.

We all have things we like (and dislike) in any and every game we play, but almost everyone enjoys a game that's different in terms of setting/background. It's familiar ... but not boring because some things are different. Even shooters tend to try to have settings that aren't the same as other shooters.

So rather then saying "Make CP2020 like Game X" how about mentioning what specific things in Game X you thought were good (or bad) , and why.

Zagor-Te-Nay;n8465250 said:
so maybe these types of games are just not for you

Who says this isn't a specific case about CP2077 for me? I acknowledge potential problems (of which people have empiric evidence) that might and probably will hinder the experience of certain player type. It might well be that CP2077 flops hard with me, but before I know it's going to, I'll keep pushing this stuff. What ever my faults, at least I'm not a yes man.

Zagor-Te-Nay;n8465250 said:
The trick is managing the balance between the two

I know. You make it sound so easy. :D

Anyway, before "managing content spots" it'd be advisable to try and figure out how would you make the player care about his immediate surroundings at least on some level all the time, what would make things "matter" in the minute to minute gameplay that otherwise might be beautiful but boring and uninteractive hoofing through the props.

Last edited:
kofeiiniturpa;n8468900 said:
Who says this isn't a specific case about CP2077 for me? I acknowledge potential problems (of which people have empiric evidence) that might and probably will hinder the experience of certain player type. It might well be that CP2077 flops hard with me, but before I know it's going to, I'll keep pushing this stuff. What ever my faults, at least I'm not a yes man.
I've made it clear elsewhere, as much as I love Cyberpunk if they make CP2077 some sort of FPS shooter (in terms of it's combat mechanics) it's going to be a massive fail with me. And yes, I know if they don't do so it'll be viewed as a massive fail by others. I'll just keep pushing for FPS and traditional RPG character based combat options to both be in the game. No single combat system can possibly satisfy both sides in this matter, go one direction or the other, or have both systems, attempting to have one that will satisfy everyone will only result it both sides being disappointed.

Last edited:
Suhiira;n8469580 said:
I've made it clear elsewhere, as much as I love Cyberpunk if they make CP2077 some sort of FPS shooter (in terms of it's combat mechanics) it's going to be a massive fail with me. And yes, I know if they don't do so it'll be viewed as a massive fail by others. I'll just keep pushing for FPS and traditional RPG character based combat options to both be in the game. No single combat system can possibly satisfy both sides in this matter, go one direction or the other, or have both systems, attempting to have one that will satisfy everyone will only result it both sides being disappointed.

Yeah. Or, if not do two combat systems, do an A or AA "oldschool version" of a Cyberpunk cRPG (monetizing with the newly found oldschool niche).

Sardukhar;n8465300 said:
Haaaaave you met Wisdom000? aka Datafortress2020? Huge Cyberpunk 2020 site, full of great stuff? Wis is arguably our hardest-core member, even more so than Su, Redge, Eraser or I.

Anyway, he really wants this, a great CP2020 GTA style game. When he returns, you will have a potent ally!

For myself, I prefer a more GTA-style game than a DXHR-style game, I admit. It's close! But Cyberpunk to me is not only story, it's also Legend. And a legend needs scope.

I really should meet him.
Funny as hell, I've even been building up such a world that I think would be great to see in a sci-fi sandbox.

I'm with some of the earlier posts in this thread. I'm bored of bland open worlds with pretty vistas, pretty faces, and pretty words. But no depth.

On the same line of thought, however. Ever heard of the Ocarina of Time? It's one of the most highly praised and respected games of all time, and I myself have VERY fond memories of it. But if we objectively put its open world next to today's open world, it looks like an insignificant pile of poo (not graphics, those can't be helped. I'm talking content.) It was revolutionary in alot of the things it did, so much so that it completely redefined the franchise, and if it didn't play and behave a certain way, it wasn't considered Zelda anymore (thankfully, Breath of the Wild has been a metaphorical breath of fresh air.) If anyone made a game with as few meaningful things to do outside of the story as the Ocarina of Time nowadays, though, it'd be called Ghost Recon: Wildlands... Sorry, couldn't resist the poke (but seriously, Ubisoft?)

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE open world games. Words cannot express my rage when there are invisible walls that prevent me from avoiding a blatant trap. "Hmmmmmmm, small rocky valley with suspiciously red soil on just the ground next to the giant chasm with claw marks... Is that a skull I see? Well, I'm just going up on the ridge instead of down there because I'm just getting bad juju from that." then the game flips you the bird and replies "No, you are going into my carefully designed and not at all obvious trap whether you like it or not. And then an NPC will make fun of you for your stupidity"

The solution to the open world problem we're facing right now isn't boycotting open worlds; it's finding an accomplishable way to make the open world integral to the plot, gameplay, everything. Make the world the main character. Instead of the world just being a beautiful setting, make it live and breathe.

Tolkien was a linguist before an author. He even admitted that he created the world of Middle-Earth (and Valinor, etc) just so he had a place where the intricate languages he was creating could live and breathe. Unorthodox, yes. But there's a reason that even to this day people are trying to milk his labor of love for all the money they can get out of people (pisses me the hell off, too. I won't get started)

Just give a damn about your creation and your love for it will show. And don't do something just because "That's common practice." Beethoven was a Baroque pianist who sounded more like Mozart than himself with his early compositions, but was a key figure that helped usher in the Romantic Movement, which changed the face of music forever (wasn't called Classical Music to them.) Open worlds need another revolution, like Ocarina of Time did for Zelda, like Tolkien did for Fantasy, and like Beethoven did for music.

And what's got me so damn excited about Cyberpunk 2077 is that it has MASSIVE potential to do just that, and be a classic that every grandpa looks back on and tells stories about to their grandchildren with misty eyes.

Last edited:
Suhiira;n2115641 said:
I just put Fallout 4 on the back burner after 100+ hours.
I'm tired of kill-loot-kill-loot-kill-loot ...

You can always build. That's a real time eater... I spent like +1000 hours and 95% is building

Some of the "Open world fatigue" seems to be more because of the storytelling of the game than because is open.

Most of times the personality of the character is what you do with it, if you have different dialogue options but you choose the one that is better to achieve what you want in this particular scene and not what your character would say due to his/her personality, then a great solution for this would be that the game doesn't reward one option and "punishes" the rest, but that allows to create a gameplay based on decisions knowing that sometimes there is more than one way to make things alright, and that most options are valid although different.

I never gwt tired of open world games...ever!!! In fact, theyre really the only games i play. With the exception being racing games and some linear type games. But i find personally the games i get most immersed intoour the open world type. I just like the ability to explore and play the game on my own terms. Also i think that in terms of replayability open world games seem to habe the most bang for your buck. Open wolrd games do tend to be longer and have more content than non open world games.

I'm not tired of open worlds generally. Some individual games I get tired of playing ... like FO4. But I stopped playing it 1/4 of the way into my second playthrough. Problem solved. I can still pick up and play TW3 and enjoy myself. I'm currently on my 4th playthough. And I like travelling long distances where there isn't stuff to do every 100 paces. I rarely use fast travel. So as a design ... no I'm not tired of it. The execution of open worlds does get old in some games. But when it's done well it's still awesome IMO.

from what i heard is that Night City will be more compact and not as big which is great cause thats exactly how crowded cities should feel like.

animalfather;n8584710 said:
from what i heard is that Night City will be more compact and not as big which is great cause thats exactly how crowded cities should feel like.

I've a hunch you're correct about the density. It shouldn't be huge on a map. Look back at the some of the issues cities had in the early 1900's, and then consider their solution: build it taller. Can't see that logic going away if they have the right techniques to make it happen.

Traditional maps look like this (if you're standing level with it from a distance on the horizon, NOT top down) I.............................I
.............................................................................................................................................................I.............................I
.............................................................................................................................................................I.............................I

Add a couple of higher and lower spots for mountains and valleys.

I'm expecting Night City to look something like this (same point of view) I................................. I

.........................................................................................................I................................. I

.........................................................................................................I................................. I

.........................................................................................................I.................................. I

.........................................................................................................I................................... I

Sorry for the sprawling post, but that was the easiest way to illustrate what I'm getting at. I hope it's clear enough

Last edited:
And of course, after all the trouble to try and illustrate I think of better words. rather than a rectangle laying on it's side, think a rectangle standing upright on end.

Lol u guys dont know that the maps gonna be smaller. For all we know itll be twice the size of all the witcher 3 maps put together. Only thing i remember is one of the devs saying the game was going to be "far, far bigger than anything weve done before." Its supoosed to be a sprawling urban enviroment. Its gonna be huge. And i hope it is huge. I wanna be able to explore the whole city n "see the sights" so to speak. Im not worried tho. I yrust cdpr n whatever they come up with im sure will be friggin fsntastic.

DarthRaver8686;n8585680 said:
Lol u guys dont know that the maps gonna be smaller. For all we know itll be twice the size of all the witcher 3 maps put together. Only thing i remember is one of the devs saying the game was going to be "far, far bigger than anything weve done before." Its supoosed to be a sprawling urban enviroment. Its gonna be huge. And i hope it is huge. I wanna be able to explore the whole city n "see the sights" so to speak. Im not worried tho. I yrust cdpr n whatever they come up with im sure will be friggin fsntastic.

they have said the map will be smaller but more compact.

Top Bottom