What do you want the Cyberprotag to be like?

+
cyberpunkforever;n7512660 said:
i think the protagonist will have a preset backstory and it will be customizable, at least its appearance and skills

Totally agree with this. It'll be interesting to see how this gets implemented, if CDPR does this.

We-ell, they said we could build our own character. I absolutely hope that is the case - it's a role-playing game, I'd really like to pick my Role. Including who I am. ESPECIALLY who I am.

There's a reason this is taking years and I'm hoping this is a big part of the reason.

Forum veteran
Willowhugger;n7505900 said:
I don't think most blank slate protagonists have nearly the same level of depth as Geralt or Adam Jensen so it'd be nice for us to have a history we can explore as the CyberProtag.
Ah yes, Jensen. "I'm gluff and cranky." "I'm gruff and cranky, but now with sunglasses." So much depth.

Teasing aside, I find that fixed characters infringe on my right to create an inconsequential character with no overarching purpose, meaningful back story, or personality traits beyond psychotic and unpredictable behavior. And why does the main character have to be the interesting one, anyway? Tradition? 99% of the time, Geralt wasn't the most interesting part of the story, and I see no reason they couldn't make other characters the interesting ones and leave us to be little more than a customized hammer the interesting ones use for their own benefit.

Willowhugger;n7505900 said:
What do you want from the CyberProtag?
Boob slider. But only for male characters. It's always worthwhile to court the most confusing controversy possible.

Sardukhar;n7512780 said:
We-ell, they said we could build our own character. I absolutely hope that is the case - it's a role-playing game, I'd really like to pick my Role. Including who I am. ESPECIALLY who I am.

There's a reason this is taking years and I'm hoping this is a big part of the reason.
They also mentioned you could print out CP2077 characters for use in PnP (not sure if that's confirmed) so that rather strongly implies you'll have the ability to set character stats, skills, lifepath, and cyberware. The question, of course, is how relevant to CP2077 will these things be?

Willowhugger;n7511810 said:
God, there's people who don't want a voiced protagonist!?

Yikes!

Then again, Fallout 4 was a huge disaster with the dull surprise of the male protagonist. Courtney Taylor, at least, is impossible to dislike in any role.

cyberpunkforever;n7512660 said:
i think the protagonist will have a preset backstory and it will be customizable, at least its appearance and skills

Yes because having a voiced protagonist is the staple of roleplay gaming right?...
Fact is.. is not...
When you are free from costs to have to voice act every single line of dialogue you have much more freedom and in depth dialogues... There is not a single voice character that is more fleshed out that a character of some old not voiced RPG you can even compare Planescape Torment npc's versus every voiced RPG evee released they simply are not in the same level of depth....

Not having to voice act a game means also you can be more free in the writing... You will have complex dialogue trees and the setting itself will be more in depth and fleshed out also way more freedom to roleplay your character because you know.... This is supposed to be a Role Play game....

But i know some loves the Micheal bay yelling stuff with explosion and shiny all over... Because is kewl....

And i really hope the protagonist will have not a preset backstory that would be incoherent with what cd project declared but most important... I don't want another Shepard sorry... Don't get me wrong i played all mass effect and i still think that the protagonist is a lot overrated....Also when someone claimed to be possible to roleplay in Mass effect i can't help but laugh a lot loud....

Also Geralt is based on novels..... is not a made up character by cd project...

And jensen?..... When he talks i want to sleep.

Last edited:
Sardukhar;n7512780 said:

I'd rather they focus on missions than variations on the same missions which will accomodate you.

It should have lifepaths, random or be able to customize our past that actually affect the story and not just be text. I do not want a fixed character, I want a customizable character that can be anything (within reason) just like you could with the PNP game. I also am with the no voiced protagonist angle, the trade-off is not worth having a VO protagonist. When its voiced, it ALWAYS puts heavy limitations on the game, ask any honest dev and they will admit as much. There is a lot of negatives, for one, the dialog will always be dumbed down one liners because of the amount of dialog that has to be recorded by the individuals(male and female) who play the main character, Then you are stuck with a VO which is probably not the VO you want for your CUSTOMIZED character, instead we will be stuck with a fixed character because the VO will affect the type of character the person will be. Then you have the problem of how much time and money is done doing this, there will be very limited choices on what you will say, and this is time and money that could be spent on other things. With silent protagonist writers are free from the limitations of dialog and can have a much richer and more choice in what the protagonist can say. Maybe one day when we get to the point synthesized voices are indistinguishable from real ones, we will not need VO actors and all lines can be read by a machine that can be customized to the voices we want to sound like. Until then, please no VO for the protagonist.

Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree. Basically, I think it might be cool to occasionally throw some nods towards a Pre-Fixed backstory ala Mass Effect but I think it'd be much better to have the game start the characters all in the same place and focus on your character development as such. One of the things I think which is holding storytelling back in video games is the fact too many games try to keep the main character completely neutral so they can't do as deep a character as they want.

If your character is as likely to eat a kitten as save a kitten then he can't be anything.

I want the characters to be at least partially defined from the beginning with a strong personality we can direct.

And that goes against PNP Game and most RPG's in general. I do not want the only customization to be nothing more than minor skin changes, I want to actually create my charactrers backstory, and personality and not just his looks. I am honestly pretty sick of predefined characters, seems that is all we get now. I do not even have to guess what type of predefined character we will get. It will be just another tough as nails, take no prisoners personality, Shepard, Geralt, Jensen and all the other fixed protagonist games out there. Just about all of them have the same boring mold with little variation. While I liked the witcher and thought geralt was interesting, I can't help thinking how much more fun it would have been to be able to create your own unique character in that universe. Be a mage, an elf, a dwarf, a noble, a soldier, vampire, warewolf, a member of the cult of the Eternal Fire, etc. Each of those would have been vastly different experiences to play, but impossible to play since your stuck as geralt and a witcher.

Azriel7;n7514770 said:
And that goes against PNP Game and most RPG's in general. I do not want the only customization to be nothing more than minor skin changes, I want to actually create my charactrers backstory, and personality and not just his looks. I am honestly pretty sick of predefined characters, seems that is all we get now. I do not even have to guess what type of predefined character we will get. It will be just another tough as nails, take no prisoners personality, Shepard, Geralt, Jensen and all the other fixed protagonist games out there. Just about all of them have the same boring mold with little variation. While I liked the witcher and thought geralt was interesting, I can't help thinking how much more fun it would have been to be able to create your own unique character in that universe. Be a mage, an elf, a dwarf, a noble, a soldier, vampire, warewolf, a member of the cult of the Eternal Fire, etc. Each of those would have been vastly different experiences to play, but impossible to play since your stuck as geralt and a witcher.

Honestly, we've had not predefined characters for a very long time and the results weren't as deep or immersive as the Witcher series. I think of The Witcher 2 and 3 as among the greatest RPGs of all time, if not the greatest so I really don't want this to become another game where all of your characterization and backstory is limited to what you do in the game. That you're a blank slate which comes to the story and there for the projection of the player character.

I want something we can sink our teeth into, characterization wise.

YMMV.

But I'm just expressing my opinion.

Willowhugger;n7511810 said:
God, there's people who don't want a voiced protagonist!?

Absolutely.

Voiced protagonist is limiting and often distracting (and it gets very very old within subsequent playthroughs -- and sometimes even during the first one); it locks you up within the strict bounds of what the voice actor sounds like and what he's capable of, and it limits the amount of player responses (voiceacting is not cheap). It's OK if the game is about a "specifc someone" like Geralt or Adam Jensen, but that is also something I would never want in a game like this where you supposedly will create a character of your own (the voiceacting might not fit at all the character concept the player has in mind, and the opportunities the player has might be limited to what fits with the voice... that's really bad).

Last edited:
I admit, my needs are pretty specific:

* A female voiced protagonist and a male voice protagonist as choices
* Customizable looks, clothes, and stats
* A predetermined story and origins but freedom to grow from there.
* A last name pre-established so you can be addressed by name

I'd ideally want something like "Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines" where you have the ability to customize your character according to a series of classes but all start in the shame shitty motel and in the same shitty situation then build from there.

Do you join the Camarilla?
Do you join the Anarchs?
Do you join the Kuei-Jin?

Except with cyborgs instead of vampires.

I'd like to see something like in Dragon Age Origins, that you have some sort of Prologue where you see a bit of your "former" life. And at the end all end up in the same place but for different reasons. But a little bit more customization than in DA:O would be nice.

kofeiiniturpa;n7515580 said:
Absolutely.

Voiced protagonist is limiting and often distracting (and it gets very very old within subsequent playthroughs -- and sometimes even during the first one); it locks you up within the strict bounds of what the voice actor sounds like and what he's capable of, and it limits the amount of player responses (voiceacting is not cheap). It's OK if the game is about a "specifc someone" like Geralt or Adam Jensen, but that is also something I would never want in a game like this where you supposedly will create a character of your own (the voiceacting might not fit at all the character concept the player has in mind, and the opportunities the player has might be limited to what fits with the voice... that's really bad).

non voiced protagonist is also very limiting

Tarathelion;n7516860 said:
non voiced protagonist is also very limiting

is it

Willowhugger;n7516060 said:
I admit, my needs are pretty specific:

* A female voiced protagonist and a male voice protagonist as choices
* Customizable looks, clothes, and stats
* A predetermined story and origins but freedom to grow from there.
* A last name pre-established so you can be addressed by name

One of us is going to get what he wants, the otherone is not.

Last edited:
How a not voiced protagonist is limiting?... With a not voice protagonist you have more roleplay opportunity you can come out with your character and you have not to cover the costs of voice acting this mean...

+A lot more content
+A lot more of roleplay elements
+A lot more lenght of the game...

I think some people just confuse roleplay with cosplay.

Yeah, while you can project yourself more with a not voiced protagonist, it's pretty immersion breaking for me because the other voice actors have no one to react on.

It also deprives us from hearing "our" character's reactions.

I mean, yeah, there's been some shitty VA over the years but some awesome ones too.

I suggest you to play shadowrun dragonfall to see how not voice over can be far more immersive and emotional than voice over.

Mebrilia;n7518230 said:
I suggest you to play shadowrun dragonfall to see how not voice over can be far more immersive and emotional than voice over.

I've played a lot of voiceless protagonists over the years, including Planescape: Torment and I have often enjoyed them.

But it's no contest if I have the option of choosing between one and not.

Top Bottom