Cyberpunk 2077 lore: Night City

+
Thanks for the video jtgizmo

Sequel to Bladerunner is coming out this fall. Seems like the cyberpunk genre is really experiencing a resurgence. Hopefully CDPR will benefit from that upturn in interest when the game eventually releases.

Pug.;n7927810 said:
Thanks for the video jtgizmo

Sequel to Bladerunner is coming out this fall. Seems like the cyberpunk genre is really experiencing a resurgence. Hopefully CDPR will benefit from that upturn in interest when the game eventually releases.

Indeed, I hope for the same thing - I've noticed lately there has been general increase in the buzz for anything Cyberpunk related.

that was awesome! thanks dude. if there will be factions, you definitely want the techies with you.

Pretty impressive.

Couple things.

First, the "whole area outside the city centers is like a battlefield" is not true. That's the Combat Zone and is a certain, nasty part of the City. Outside the Corp Center is still downtown and it's not a battlefield. There are gunfights, but it's not the Zone. You can walk around there in light armour or even no armour and be fine.

If you consider Night City to all be like the Combat Zone, you have a very inaccurate perspective on Night City. This gives you a better idea : http://datafortress2020.com/nightcit...algamated.html

Second, C-SWAT isn't incorruptible. It's also called Max-Tac in NCPD, C-SWAT being the generic term for the anti-cyberpsycho police units. Anyway, they are corruptible, albeit unless you are a 'psycho, bribing them is pretty pointless. They don't make a lot of arrests or give a shit if you are dealing drugs. H

Harbour Patrol is the most incorruptible unit in NC, at least in the 2020 era. Famously hard-assed and independent.

NCPD cops are not underequipped. The rest is accurate.

This video regards Downtown as the Corp Zone. Nope. Corp Cops stick to the Corporate Center. NCPD has the rest. "The crime in these zones is kept in check by brutal security sweeps.." Nope, not at all. These areas are claimed by different booster gangs and kept civil by NCPD and well-armed citizens. And the boosters don't want to shoot up their own blocks. The neighbours, though...

Some of these differences aren't a big deal. Some, like how dangerous NC is overall and where the Corp Cops are and suppress, is a pretty major change.

Places like Westbrook, North Oak, South NIght City, etc are your "standard city" areas: residences, malls, Corporate secured Beavervilles, 7-11s, etc.

Just outside Downtown is the Combat Zone, which is a gang-controlled warzone.

Downtown is the busiest part of Night City and the source of most of the stories, adventures, legends, etc. It's dealt with heavily.

In the middle of Downtown is the Corporate Center. Or was, until it was nuked.

The Night City sourcebook and Protect and Serve has lots more details, but basically: Night City.jpg

Last edited:
Sardukhar;n7930650 said:
Pretty impressive.

Couple things.

First, the "whole area outside the city centers is like a battlefield" is not true. That's the Combat Zone and is a certain, nasty part of the City. Outside the Corp Center is still downtown and it's not a battlefield. There are gunfights, but it's not the Zone. You can walk around there in light armour or even no armour and be fine.

If you consider Night City to all be like the Combat Zone, you have a very inaccurate perspective on Night City. This gives you a better idea : http://datafortress2020.com/nightcit...algamated.html

Second, C-SWAT isn't incorruptible. It's also called Max-Tac in NCPD, C-SWAT being the generic term for the anti-cyberpsycho police units. Anyway, they are corruptible, albeit unless you are a 'psycho, bribing them is pretty pointless. They don't make a lot of arrests or give a shit if you are dealing drugs. H

Harbour Patrol is the most incorruptible unit in NC, at least in the 2020 era. Famously hard-assed and independent.

NCPD cops are not underequipped. The rest is accurate.

This video regards Downtown as the Corp Zone. Nope. Corp Cops stick to the Corporate Center. NCPD has the rest. "The crime in these zones is kept in check by brutal security sweeps.." Nope, not at all. These areas are claimed by different booster gangs and kept civil by NCPD and well-armed citizens. And the boosters don't want to shoot up their own blocks. The neighbours, though...

Some of these differences aren't a big deal. Some, like how dangerous NC is overall and where the Corp Cops are and suppress, is a pretty major change.

Places like Westbrook, North Oak, South NIght City, etc are your "standard city" areas: residences, malls, Corporate secured Beavervilles, 7-11s, etc.

Just outside Downtown is the Combat Zone, which is a gang-controlled warzone.

Downtown is the busiest part of Night City and the source of most of the stories, adventures, legends, etc. It's dealt with heavily.

In the middle of Downtown is the Corporate Center. Or was, until it was nuked.

Hi Shardukhar, thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate it, as I said it took me a while to go over all material to try to be as close to the source as possible. I used mainly Cyberpunk 2020 (2nd Ed) and the Night City source book for material that I then composed. I had a moment of panic when you mentioned those things so I went over my material (research on what I wrote down and what not) you may have a point in regards of areas outside of city centres, it could be i mixed up ever so slightly the description, as it states in Night City source guide "Night City soon became the closest thing to hell on earth; a war zone where you were just as likely to have your car blown up as have its radio stolen." (Page 33)

Saying that, literally on same page it does indeed state that Night City has all but healed from its rages of its rocky birth and police has enough power to keep things fairly safe during the day, but implying things are different during the night, which is what I was trying to imply, but maybe it didn't come across as clearly? If so my bad.

As for C-swat, you are right, they have diff names, but for the sake of the story I decided to stick to C-SWAT, rather than listing all different names and it shows MAX-TAC in the clip, which I hope eluded to that. As for the incorruptible part, I never stated that they are incorruptible - I said "...the most incorruptible people on the Force", with the word 'most' being the keyword, because it implies out of all the other forces they have least likelihood of being corrupt (but its still possible). And for a moment there I thought I was taking crazy pills when you said they are not :) But again - I was using Cyberpunk 2020 (2nd ed) as the source and I went back and it is a direct quote from Page 217. This also applies to quote saying police is under equipped - its from the same page (p217).

I'll be honest I never heard of Harbor Patrol mentioned in either of those source materials in more specifics, unless I missed it, or could it be that their description is bit more recent in different source book? So if thats the case I'm sorry again - as I said - I used only 2 main source books to get my material and I had no reason to doubt them. I did a bit of googling and they indeed get mentioned as part of incorruptible. If you have any further material on them I'd love to read about them.

All in all, I admit that it could have had some minor mistakes, never intentional, but I hope it gives forward the essence of Cyberpunk as close as possible.

I do plan to create more material, if you're interested I can show you it in private before putting it together. Thank you for the source, I did use data fortress as my main source of information. Cheers :)

Giz

Last edited:
jtgizmo;n7950880 said:
I do plan to create more material, if you're interested I can show you it in private before putting it together. Thank you for the source, I did use data fortress as my main source of information. Cheers :)

Giz

Oh, you did some great work there, as I said. Datafortress is good, but a lot of Wisdom's stuff is his own interpretation. Generally it's my -favourite- interpretation, but still.

A lot of the information from the Core Book, (Max-Tac, Harbour Police) was supplanted and clarified in Night City sourcebook and Protect and Serve. Although it should be noted that although the Core Book says they are underequipped, that's compared to Corporate Cops, not run of the mill cits or even average Edgerunners. NCPD has Metalgear, assault rifles, automatic shotguns, you name it.

Yeah, the impression I got from the video was that Max-Tac wasn't corruptible, which isn't really accurate. They are just..differently corruptible. Or disinterested? Because most SPAR (Special Purpose Assault Rescue) teams are one step from being psychos themselves, not because they are paragons of virtue. You couldn't bribe one with money, typically. There are other things than money, though.

Night City is a lot more dangerous at night, yep, but during the day it's a modern 21st Century City. In America. Which is to say, it can be dangerous, but it's not Detroit. It's a modern, thriving metropolis, not a pre-Mad Max warzone.
"Video stations, cell phones,aerodyne vehicles, biosculpt parlors, cyberware-whatever you could expect to find in Paris, you can probably find in Night City as well"

Now, after midnight, well. Blood Razors will cut you up just to watch the splatter patterns. Stay off the streets unless you know what you are doing. Imagine Escape From New York, that kind of thing. Like the Zone is 24/7, really!

I wouldn't get hung up on the Harbour Police. They are significant in NIght City settings mostly because they operate under their own authority. "Harbormaster Mahan Jones- Capt. Mahan Jones is a cop who also happens to be a Government official. Jones has made the Harbor Authority and its associated Harbor Police into a separate government in"his"part of town. He considersthe civic bureaucracy of Night City irredeemably corrupted by corps and the Mob. Jones tolerates no corruption within his own organization. The Harbor Police are in charge of law and order in the dockside area (most of which is south of the main part of the City). There are infrequent conflicts when the NCPD have been bought off for a caper, and the unbribed (and extremely unbribable) Harbor Police move in."

So yeah, they are interesting because they answer to the Harbourmaster only and operate as a fuck-you element for Corps and Edgerunners that think they can buy their way out. Again. But they are also fairly esoteric, I wouldn't worry about them.

Anyway, like I said, my only real issues was that you portrayed Night City like it was a warzone, heavily interdicted by Corp Cops. Not a big deal and, frankly, if someone from our time and reality was on Night City streets tomorrow, everyone heavily armed, boostergangers wandering around with chainsaws for hands even in the middle of the day, gunfights...yeah. Freaky stuff.

If you want to PM a link to the other stuff, I can take a look sure.

Last edited:
While Night City isn't the Detroit shown in Robocop real Detroit might not be to far off, minus the desolation and crippled economy, add lots of high tech.

Outside the heavily patrolled "safe zones" (Westbrook, North Oak, South Night City, malls, Corporate secured Beavervilles, etc.) walking the streets almost anywhere in broad daylight is fairly safe alone and about a non issue in a group (unless of course one is a gang member in another gangs territory). After dark however one is basically asking for trouble if they travel alone, unless they're visibly more trouble then their worth. And in that case while the run-of-the-mill street thug may leave them alone they'll attract the attention of larger and more powerful elements because they're a target worth hitting. But once again, in a group (3+ people) you're still pretty safe.

And while the cops are generally corrupt (some more or less then others) and you can probably slip them something to get out of a parking ticket they're not going to ignore an armed robbery no matter how much you offer. Well, maybe the first response team could be bribed to look the other way for 30 seconds while you get the hell out of the area before more cops arrive, but I sure wouldn't count on it. Like the infamous North Hollywood Shootout, while heavily armed and armored people might wreak havoc there is zero chance they'll actually get away once the cops arrive in force.

Top Bottom