Too much hype?

+
kofeiiniturpa;n8163580 said:
I waited 10 years for Fallout 3 and what I got was handful of shit and the series gone for good.
You read the news about Morrowind developers taking over Fallout and still bore any hope? That's some serious dedication.
LexAnarchy;n8162070 said:
I'm confident that the long wait will be worth it.
Not so long, really. 4-6 years since announcement for AAA RPG is surely not if you expecting it to be good.

Last edited:
metalmaniac21;n8164430 said:
Not so long, really. 4-6 years since announcement for AAA RPG is surely not if you expecting it to be good.
Yep, I'd be worries if the development cycle was less then 4 years ... and if CP2077 is going to be as good as I suspect 6 isn't at all unreasonable.

metalmaniac21;n8164430 said:
You read the news about Morrowind developers taking over Fallout and still bore any hope? That's some serious dedication.

Didn't really now who Bethesda was at the time. But Van Buren was just recently cancelled and there was nothing in the horizon (Herve being the head of Interplay and all), and I liked Morrowind. I guess I was naive enough to think there'd be some common sense applied to continuing a pre-established series. Live and learn.

metalmaniac21;n8169490 said:
That's the most important part.

Nah, it was a good game (I still play it some times) and at that point in time, an indication that there might be some future for the Fallout series yet. But I never expected a Fallout game made as a TES game (nor should I have had to; not even after Oblivion).

metalmaniac21;n8169490 said:
IIRC it's Fargo who let the Fallout slip into Morrowind developers' hands.

Nope. I'm pretty sure Fargo had already left at that point; Herve/Titus were in charge and auctioned the Fallout rights.

Last edited:
kofeiiniturpa;n8169900 said:
Nope. I'm pretty sure Fargo had already left at that point; Herve/Titus were in charge and auctioned the Fallout rights.
This is correct. I think he Fargo left about 4-5 years befor Interplay sold the Fallout IP. Also, I do think that about a year after Fargo left Interplay fired the entire staff of Black Isle Studios, and closed it down... I think BIS was the ones who I guess could have in one form or another have made sure that the IP was still in the hands of Interplay. But none of those people where around by the time Interplay was in deep dept, and risking bankrypsy, again (it had happend befor, in the late 90's I think it was), so noone could stop the sale. I heard late last year that Interplay put up their remaining IP's and characters that they own for sale... not sure how that went, or if it has started yet.

I guess the only real good thing that has come out of this is that we have goten a few other good games from the people who left Interplay, and/or where fired by Interplay. Obsidian Entertainment (which rose out of the ashes of Black Isle Studios) and inXile Entertainment (which Fargo created). Both of which has been some of the few bigger gaming companies which has had fairly big success with getting games done via Kickstarter, and games which have been good as well. The other company I think about here is Harebrained Schemes, and Larian Studios as well... but they of course have no connection to Interplay at all (as far as I know). These four companies though I would point at being some of the major factors in why we are having such a big resurgence in the more "old school cRPG" types of games... the types of games that I wished Fallout was still be made as.

This is still...sort of on topic? I guess? Not that I'm too over-focussed on being OT all the time, but, yeah, let's try to keep it to a discussion of over-hype and the consequences of same.

Top Bottom