Great design principles that Cyberpunk could benefit from

+
Great design principles that Cyberpunk could benefit from

Ok, that was baiting ( on the off chance that anyone from Reds is ever here), but this is a great piece from PC gamer on design of "Immersive Sims" from the minds directly behind this "sub genre". Something that would benefit the world in Cyberpunk feel more open and interactive ( than what they did previously). ( Personally I think, this should be better source of inspiration than bigger, more popular sandboxes like GTA or Skyrim)

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-designer...-stories-about-making-pcs-most-complex-games/

Zagor-Te-Nay;n8075110 said:
Personally I think, this should be better source of inspiration than bigger, more popular sandboxes like GTA or Skyrim

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-designer...-stories-about-making-pcs-most-complex-games/

Can agree, but also those games were fairly linear in terms of progress (limited to a specific area for a while, cannot backtrack to those areas later in the story at will, etc). Wouldn't really call those "Sandboxes"

Of course Witcher 3 has already blown Skyrim well out of the water. And Breath of the Wild has utterly DESTROYED Skyrim (which makes the idea of bringing it to the switch just laughable)

"....immersive sims are about having this consistent ruleset of how the world works and how you work within it."

This would work great, though hugely difficult to pull of for something of this size.

"But the other thing Harvey brought up, pacing. One of the things I have to constantly remind people about is that the pacing of these games is very different. It's not run, gun, gogogogogogo. If you do that in an immersive sim and you're really good maybe you can succeed, but when I think about these games, the pacing is more... Okay, I get to a decision point. I stop, I assess. I make a plan. Then it's gogogogogo as I execute. Then it's stop, assess, make a plan. Gogogogogo. So it's this kind of staccato thing that I find really appealing. "

Active decision making through discovery and interaction with the world...this reminds a bit of that very early statement they made about 2077: "telling the story through via what happens, instead of cutscenes".
Though this could be in contradiction with stating about game having more "cinematic feel".

Last edited:
Zagor-Te-Nay;n8076170 said:
"

Active decision making through discovery and interaction with the world...this reminds a bit of that very early statement they made about 2077: "telling the story through via what happens, instead of cutscenes".
Though this could be in contradiction with stating about game having more "cinematic feel".
I think by ''cinemtic feel'' they meant good graphics, animations, city views, camera work during dialogs etc. Presentation basically. You can have that without cutscenes. Unless you consider dialogs to be cutscenes.

Interesting article, and I like the mention of how tabletop RPGs influenced this particular genre.

The great thing about PnP rulessets is that they give the player the tools to interact with the world, but the experience they craft with these tools is up to them.

Videogames are far more limited in this regard, but still have the potential to create worlds here the player can interact meaningfully through its systems. Hopefully CP2077 will be one of those games.

Meccanical;n8090330 said:
The great thing about PnP rulessets is that they give the player the tools to interact with the world, but the experience they craft with these tools is up to them.

Videogames are far more limited in this regard, but still have the potential to create worlds here the player can interact meaningfully through its systems. Hopefully CP2077 will be one of those games.
My hope as well.
While video games can be fun they all suffer from the inability to handle anything not pre-scripted. It's up to the designers to create multiple approaches to problems and frankly few bother.

I think that can also to a degree come down to how many restrictions a game developer puts into the game as well... things that are there normally to make sure that the players do not accidentally, or deliberately, break the game. Things like how two skils, or powers, or what ever, work when you combine them etc... where the devs might feel that this particular combination breaks the game.

Of course, that would be more relevant if it was another type of setting then Cyberpunk I think...

Zagor-Te-Nay;n8075110 said:
Ok, that was baiting ( on the off chance that anyone from Reds is ever here), but this is a great piece from PC gamer on design of "Immersive Sims" from the minds directly behind this "sub genre". Something that would benefit the world in Cyberpunk feel more open and interactive ( than what they did previously). ( Personally I think, this should be better source of inspiration than bigger, more popular sandboxes like GTA or Skyrim)

Missed this, thanks for posting :).

Zagor-Te-Nay;n8129520 said:
From right here into the design of Cyberpunk. ;)

Like a lot of stuff on these Forums, actually. Well, considered for development. I've asked multiple times and am always reassured: "Of course we read them!" Subtext: what do you think they are for?

Mind you, they could be lying to us. Filthy Corporates. I wonder if, while writing CP2077, the team members ever look around the offices and go, "hey, we're the corporate wageslaves...dammit!" Then grab a deck and get their hack on, just to prove they still can.

reidyboy102998;n8143820 said:
I would say the Deus Ex games would be great examples of design principles. It'd be very cool.

First Deus Ex i agree. Human Revolution or even more Mankind Divided not so much.

I dont have new Nintendo, but reviewers and gamers are saying that Zelda has fantastic open world and exploration aspect. So CDPR should check this game also.

In Witcher 3 they focused mosly on story telling in open world enviro with static world, i dont know if the reason was lack of time or lack of experience probably 50/50 but i really want them to make great story telling in Cyberpunk 2077 like in Witcher 3, and also great exploration aspect + interaction with the world.

Last edited:
Sneky;n8144500 said:
In Witcher 3 they focused mosly on story telling in open world enviro with static world, i dont know if the reason was lack of time or lack of experience probably 50/50 but i really want them to make great story telling in Cyberpunk 2077 like in Witcher 3, and also great exploration aspect + interaction with the world.

I think there is some conflict between good story telling and open world / free character creation / freedom for the player. If you want to have all at the same time, I think it is not enough to write one good and branching main story, you have to write many of them if you want to give the player the freedom to become a hacker, a police officer, an outlaw, a nomad, or whatever. Each possible role deserves a unique story. That might be tricky for the developers. We will see how CDPR resolve the conflict.

Sneky;n8144500 said:
Human Revolution or even more Mankind Divided not so much.
For what pvrpose... HR and MkD is a great balance between old and new, the only problem was small hubs, a problem nonexisting for RED Engine 3+.

Top Bottom