Sandbox Quests Pacing ( and introduction)

+
Sandbox Quests Pacing ( and introduction)

Being flooded with quests in Athkatla - To be honest, I don't think is a controversial opinion! I've seen many other players say the same thing. BG2 has a crazy amount of quests, which is great, but the density in Athkatla was a little too crazy. I think those quests should have been spread out or staggered in some other way. PE is going to have more of an exploration focus than BG2 (though not as much as BG), so I believe that will help spread the content out more.

Remember this from Sawyer, during design of PoE. Think he's half right here ( but went too far, city what's-it's-name, paled in comparison next to Athkathla, far too thin content), but it wasn't as much an issue in BG II or even last Witcher, ( both being more linear and moving the plot from one setting to the next) as it was in Skyrim. Simply talking or even walking by someone, quests would immediately trigger and flood your journal.
It also gives static "feel" to the world ( Civil War, Dragons, etc) as everything revolves around the player( or nothing ever changes otherwise).
With the "density" of Night City, this could be an issue...early in the game player being overwhelmed, with having little to engage in later on.

+ Lesser ( than usual) number of early quests, but more evolving over time ( for this main story also need to have more tempered, under player control pacing)
+ Allow even a failure or player's refusal to continue, to play a part here, opening a potential quest later on from a different source
+ For a certain number ( in fitting context), even not being involved ( until a certain timed trigger) could change course of questline that player could engage in, later on
+ Faction quests ( only one joinable per character, class equals role) could share ties to "events" that could be used to show different consequences of actions from various perspectives. What seems first as benevolent/idealistic action from one role, can lead to very different repercussions later on, that you could only see in another playthrough with a different character.

One way to solve the "too many quests" problem is to make about half of them "chain quests". You don't get part #2 until after you've completed part #1. That way you can still have a zillion quests, but not swamp the player.

It could also be that you only get access to some quests based on your characters standings with certain factions.

And/or it could also be based on some kind of... "thing" with your character... be it their collected skills value... or some kind of counter which counts and adds up everything your character has done since the start... or your characters reputation... or it could mabye be based on what skills you have or what level you have a or several skills on... or what ever it may be. XD

Actually... if there is something like a place where you can go to get mercenary job offers, then maybe you could get contacted every now and then by this place that there is a job offer for you... and what missions they are might maybe based on the previous things I mentioned.

Last edited:
Top Bottom