Running animation

+
Running animation

Preemptive post. Something that bugs me in latest Andromeda, FF XV, Witcher III and a host of other games... running is either too rigid or too loose.
By a mile, my favorite:
AC Syndicate, last Uncharted, Order, Tomb Raider...deserving of mention.
Would be pretty sweet if based on your stat( movement allowance?), there would be a variation in animation, with fastest characters running like of the above.

As much as I like nice running animations, or responsivness, etc... it has never been an aspect which has effected me one way or another as to if I like a game or not. Nor has any other character animation thing either. As long as they are decent I am fine... and even if they are not decent I can still be fine if other aspects of the game are good and fun.

To me those things are not even an importent aspect at all in a roleplaying game... in a roleplaying game the most importent aspects, in my mind, are... well... the roleplaying aspects of it. ;)

Don't really care about animations all that much. Running or otherwise.

On a more general level, the obsessive strive for realism is - in my opinion - more harmful to the games than beneficia. Realistic graphics require realistic animations lest it looks goofy and awkward and it's visually very unforgiving, and this eats up a lot of resources that could well be used for gameplay itself rather than the surface level shine.

Last edited:
It's more about attention to detail, if they are working on a game and something janky doesn't bug them, you are going to get terrible game systems all over. and if it's janky enough for us to notice it's pretty fucking janky

Hoplite_22;n8187360 said:
It's more about attention to detail, if they are working on a game and something janky doesn't bug them, you are going to get terrible game systems all over. and if it's janky enough for us to notice it's pretty fucking janky

I never noticed running animations in games. Running and walking should be distinct enough and the option to do either one should be there, thats it.

kofeiiniturpa;n8181500 said:
Don't really care about animations all that much. Running or otherwise.

On a more general level, the obsessive strive for realism is - in my opinion - more harmful to the games than beneficia. Realistic graphics require realistic animations lest it looks goofy and awkward and it's visually very unforgiving, and this eats up a lot of resources that could well be used for gameplay itself rather than the surface level shine.

Eh, common' man, that's extreme even for you.

Traversal is key element of open world and something a player will engage in as much as combat or dialogue... It has to feel "good" while being responsive.There are games that put too much effort into range and overall animation quality( Arkham, AC, Tomb Raider...) next to gameplay mechanics, but this is about as "base" element of the game as it gets.

Zagor-Te-Nay;n8191270 said:
but this is about as "base" element of the game as it gets.

Depends how much that stuff bothers you. Janky running animations are so low down my "bothersome" list as to be barely visible. Superb dialogue and response options, crisp, exciting combat, interesting puzzles, freedom to go places I can see, stuff like that matters to me in terms of gameplay.

I'd rather see exciting melee combat implemented before better running animations.

I liked the running animations for Dishonored 1 and 2 with the knifes. That would be neat if we were running with pistols or knifes of some sort. I'm not sure about third person running animations however.

Top Bottom