a question regarding nano augmentation in cp77

+
a question regarding nano augmentation in cp77

fron the 2013 trialer and little info i gather fron this very forum and the net, cyberpunk 2020 universe augs are mostly mechanic in the style of uman revoultion and mankind divided. i love the deus ex series including the new ones, and deffinetaly the original one, so my question is, as this is set more than 50 years since 2020, would like to see nano augs embeded in gameplay,

i'd remeber the agressive deffence system from deus ex which i loved very much.i'd like to see stuff like that and other nano augs as top tier implants in cyberpunk 2077.

thughts?

Could likely be in experimental stage of development here. More "subtle" approach to it than most cyberware, affecting metabolism...none of that +1.25 % to x regeneration clutter.
Perhaps as gameplay "contingencies"?... could see it as something that adds more dynamic to gameplay by tweaking/changing some of it's rules for a specific duration, when triggering under specific circumstances.
( Ask yourself : does this contribute or change gameplay in any meaningful way? Better to have a "clean", quality system of only ten levels than bloated one to fill some executive arbitrary quota)
Pros and Cons approach to more emphasize branching playstyles, decision making, and consequences ( fitting for a sandbox/open world) instead of straightforward/linear "power-ups".
( Imo, witcher mutagens were a wasted opportunities here...examples: under condition x temporarily go deaf/ringing sound but gain faster reflexes, lose health in rapid intervals, but regain it quickly with more damaging sword attacks)

Nanoware has some "issues".

Those micro-bots can't be very smart on their own .. no room for a CPU. So at best they'll perform very simple functions. And before someone starts saying "hivemind" I'll say EMP.

Suhiira;n8182210 said:
Nanoware has some "issues".

Those micro-bots can't be very smart on their own .. no room for a CPU. So at best they'll perform very simple functions. And before someone starts saying "hivemind" I'll say EMP.

And I'll say shielding. Nyah nyah.

Zagor-Te-Nay;n8181680 said:
Could likely be in experimental stage of development here. More "subtle" approach to it than most cyberware, affecting metabolism...none of that +1.25 % to x regeneration clutter.
Perhaps as gameplay "contingencies"?... could see it as something that adds more dynamic to gameplay by tweaking/changing some of it's rules for a specific duration, when triggering under specific circumstances.
( Ask yourself : does this contribute or change gameplay in any meaningful way? Better to have a "clean", quality system of only ten levels than bloated one to fill some executive arbitrary quota)
Pros and Cons approach to more emphasize branching playstyles, decision making, and consequences ( fitting for a sandbox/open world) instead of straightforward/linear "power-ups".
( Imo, witcher mutagens were a wasted opportunities here...examples: under condition x temporarily go deaf/ringing sound but gain faster reflexes, lose health in rapid intervals, but regain it quickly with more damaging sword attacks)

i usually agreee with your opinions, but here we differ. i love me some plain ordenery power ups with no back fire of any kind. yeah experimental augs could have some sort of con to them, but that should also be a counter/ alternative to them.

i myself when i start any rpg, i'd like to imagine the end builds, the kind you take to supper bosses and finnal one- ilke a boss. that is third most important thing in an rpg for me, tied close to story an charcters. i thougt the witcher with all the mutagen,mutetions and slot were actually very nice, but i would have loved more, like added traits from your decisions anc actions that were present in the witcher 2.

imagine a scenario were you meet a shady fella and you blah and blah and he says that if you have the money to invest he knows a guy who knows a guy who can hook me up with crazy off market augs that can cause you all kind of bad stats like you describe (blurred vision, shaky hands) but in nice twist you can talk about this to your regular aug expers of choise and he will be against it and says you should not experimental shit like that but you have high charisma or a piece intel on him he will not like you to share, then boom! you hook the exprimenal dudes with this dude and create a safe experimental unique aug that fits an end game build.

Sardukhar;n8183430 said:
And I'll say shielding. Nyah nyah.
I'll counter with mass and volume ... the miniscule amount of shielding you could fit on a nanobot would be useless.

tropit9;n8184990 said:
i usually agreee with your opinions, but here we differ. i love me some plain ordenery power ups with no back fire of any kind. yeah experimental augs could have some sort of con to them, but that should also be a counter/ alternative to them.
If you read ever-so-slightly between the lines that's one of the reasons SocBloc cyberware is cheap. It's either less capable (but more robust) or experimental with possible (probable?) problems. As to a counter ... not really ... that's why they're cheaper after all. The alternative ... buy Japanese!

Last edited:
Suhiira;n8186480 said:
I'll counter with mass and volume ... the miniscule amount of shielding you could fit on a nanobot would be useless.

Nah. I presume advanced shielding techniques for the same reason I presume functional nanotech at all - disease/cure. Tech arms race. Nested nano-faraday cage, grounded through the customer's CNS, who knows.

And that's going on your belief that nanoware is affected by EMP and isn't using some crazy ultra-tiny mechanical solution - or a permanent wired-in backup (nano engraved code, light-code) so if the active memory gets wiped, it goes to default and reboots, reconnects to the hivemind.

This is the speculative fiction thing. You can say EMP, I can point out if EMP is now portable and readily available, there is a (possibly reliable, probably expensive) fix for it.

Sardukhar;n8187890 said:
Nah. I presume advanced shielding techniques for the same reason I presume functional nanotech at all - disease/cure. Tech arms race. Nested nano-faraday cage, grounded through the customer's CNS, who knows.

And that's going on your belief that nanoware is affected by EMP and isn't using some crazy ultra-tiny mechanical solution - or a permanent wired-in backup (nano engraved code, light-code) so if the active memory gets wiped, it goes to default and reboots, reconnects to the hivemind.

This is the speculative fiction thing. You can say EMP, I can point out if EMP is now portable and readily available, there is a (possibly reliable, probably expensive) fix for it.
While I'm more then willing to suspend my disbelief (to an extent) the trouble is physics.

I'm quite willing to overlook warp drives in Star Trek as long as the rest of the science is reasonably possible.
I enjoy Star Wars as much as anyone else, but I can't take it seriously.

We already have Shadowrun to fulfill the "Star Wars" Cyber niche.
I want to see CP2077 be "Star Trek".

Suhiira;n8188370 said:
I want to see CP2077 be "Star Trek".
I want Punk with tech wankery of Star Trek or better, "hardcore" sci-fi books. Or even better - it's own thing.

Last edited:
There is nano-tech in Cyberpunk but it's rarely used do to how nasty the stuff you have drink to get nano-bots in your system and even then it's unknown how long it'll last or if they'll just rust away in your body killing you. So by 2077, nano-tech maybe a little better than by 2020 standards but this is a world were the auto industry stagnated for 30 years with flying cars still only for the wealthy unless you want a slow moving box that you can barely control or a semi-controllable missile.

walkingdarkly;n8191820 said:
There is nano-tech in Cyberpunk but it's rarely used do to how nasty the stuff you have drink to get nano-bots in your system and even then it's unknown how long it'll last or if they'll just rust away in your body killing you. So by 2077, nano-tech maybe a little better than by 2020 standards but this is a world were the auto industry stagnated for 30 years with flying cars still only for the wealthy unless you want a slow moving box that you can barely control or a semi-controllable missile.

well so by 2077 flying cars must be more advenced as 20 yeras from 2050 is some time, why no nano tech? mayber the 60' were breakthrough years? maybe nano tech is expansive to produce thus reach private corporate enforecer or elite miltary units thing only, thus make it an endgame arsenal choice? it couls fit, and i'll be happy to see that.

Maybe, could be, might ...
Sure if it has some basis in real science go for it. But many things postulated just make zero scientific sense. Hand held lasers for instance, what powers them? Some magical scientifically impossible power pack. This is the sort of thing I'd prefer to avoid.

Is Nanotech actually 'Cyberpunk'' though?

I've never been left with that impression. Nanotech always belonged to the ''clean, advanced future'' and that's not the definition of Cyberpunk. Cyberpunk has always been a 'grimey' hotchpotch of a technological future and that's not where nanotech belongs.

Nanotech is fine for the likes of the DX universe, but that never pretended to be cyberpunk.

I'd prefer the augmentations were mechanical in nature..

Ah, as in the verisimilitude of the representation of the nature of Star Trek as universe with integrity?

Ok fair enough, I get that.

My apologies to the guy/guyess I called dumb.

tropit9;n8206930 said:
Oh it's not that they can't make a rifle sized laser ... it's that the power supply is the size of an 18-wheeler.

Tormentfan;n8206950 said:
Cyberpunk and Star Trek are diametric opposites.
Apparently you didn't notice I was referring to how Star Trek generally tends to handle technology not the government/social/cultural setting.

Last edited:
Suhiira;n8210280 said:
Oh it's not that they can't make a rifle sized laser ... it's that the power supply is the size of an 18-wheeler.

Apparently you didn't notice I was referring to how Star Trek generally tends to handle technology not the government/social/cultural setting.

Star Trek is just as silly and hand-wavy about technology. They have a Chief Engineer who actually mouths the hand-wavy bits, as opposed to never seeing them in the story. That's mostly it.

Even if any of us were actual, advanced robotics scientists working in the field now, we still couldn't say how it would work 50 years in the future. We could guess, but that's about it. And if we did guess, another person in the field would probably disagree. My grandmother started with horses and finished up with stealth jetfighters, electrically-powered cyberlimbs and fibre-optic cable. Yay science.

So saying, " this is how the future science will work" doesn't really work too well.

I like feels. Nanotech (limited) feels cyberpunk. Repairs damaged tissue, makes you stronger, lets you have clear skin!

Does not let you fly, regenerate limbs in ten minutes or change shape into a motorcycle.

Sardukhar;n8216340 said:
Does not let you fly, regenerate limbs in ten minutes or change shape into a motorcycle.

but i really REALLY want to trun mid battle into a motrocycle and go vroom vroom on my foes. can i, please? pretty please?

Top Bottom