Flying vehicles

+
BjornTheBandit;n8575840 said:
I'll modify mine to run on a cocktails of the tears of starving orphans and the blood of seabirds

It's Cyberpunk.
All the orphans are starving, so we just say, "orphans', choomba.

And the last bird died 5 years ago.

I'd rather flying wasn't commoplace, but more like luxury. A cop or a corp might have some connections and have easier access, but others need to work more.

And once again I bring gameplay here... Let driving such be governed by a skill like in 2020 (depending on how much kick the vehicle has, the more skill it requires to get higher and go faster steadily -- same with land vehicles minus the altitude); don't leave these things as free passes (it's more rewarding when it's not a free commodity but something you have to earn). The player has a great opportunity there if you build the right kind of character (otherwise you need to hire a pilot -- shouldn't be cheap), but it will cost you in other areas of expertise.

kofeiiniturpa;n8576210 said:
I'd rather flying wasn't commoplace, but more like luxury. A cop or a corp might have some connections and have easier access, but others need to work more.

And once again I bring gameplay here... Let driving such be governed by a skill like in 2020 (depending on how much kick the vehicle has, the more skill it requires to get higher and go faster steadily -- same with land vehicles minus the altitude); don't leave these things as free passes (it's more rewarding when it's not a free commodity but something you have to earn). The player has a great opportunity there if you build the right kind of character (otherwise you need to hire a pilot -- shouldn't be cheap), but it will cost you in other areas of expertise.

I like it! Another layer of forcing people to make meaningful choices, and while people will gripe and moan and groan, it'll make things more memorable and interesting

Suhiira;n8415210 said:
Specially in Saints Row 3 ... you could run faster, leap over buildings, and never needed to go to the body & fender shop.

It's been years, but I think you meant Saints Row 4.

Suhiira;n8414000 said:
They're expensive, require LOTS of fuel, and a human pilot (self-driving ground vehicles is one thing, add the 3rd dimension and you need a person at the controls).

A toy/asset of the wealthy, military, and emergency services (police, fire, hospitals), much the same as helicopters are now. Cool as they may be they're essentially JUST a helicopter.

I'm assuming you're referring to the CP2020 question because this is such a 2014 response. Looking back from 2017, it turns out that self-flying cars are probably a lot easier to create than self-driving ones.

Anywho, I'd certainly love to see passenger drones and the sort. That's one of the things I've been waiting so long for, after all— a sci-fi GTA/Saints Row clone where I can hop into a flying car and join/break from a highway in the sky.
Real life passenger drones are already becoming something of a thing, after all. Mainly in Dubai.

Yuli-Ban;n8916450 said:
It's been years, but I think you meant Saints Row 4.
Yep, thanks for the correction!

Yuli-Ban;n8916450 said:
I'm assuming you're referring to the CP2020 question because this is such a 2014 response. Looking back from 2017, it turns out that self-flying cars are probably a lot easier to create than self-driving ones.
As long as the skies remain essentially uncrowded.
Add significant amounts of air traffic, smog/weather, teen showoff, granma who doesn't trust autopilots, the fact that you're NOT flying at 30,000 feet but treetop level, etc. and it becomes VERY complex indeed in comparison to following preset roads.

Suhiira;n8918140 said:
As long as the skies remain essentially uncrowded.

This misconception has come up before, and I actually posted about it four years ago it seems in another thread. So, here's what I posted, once again. From the Night City sourcebook, page 32:

"You can expect to find all the modern conveniences of a European city in any major U.S. urban area. Video stations, cell phones, aerodyne vehicles, biosculpt parlors, cyberware - whatever you could expect to find in Paris, you can probably find in Night City as well.

Maybe what bothers Europeans most about American cities isn't the level of technology, but the amount of it. Huge videoboards scream from every building. Monster ad-blimps cluster overhead, booming messages down twenty-four hours a day. The streets are packed with pedicabs, taxicabs, metrocars and cyberbikes, while the skies are a maze of speeding aerodynes, helicopters, aerogyros and light dirigibles."

There are also other snippets in the Night City sourcebook, and I'm sure in others, which lend more weight to the fact that the skies of Night City, most other big US cities, and especially European cities, are filled with air traffic. For example, this from the same page:

"Often, the buildings tell the story. Old City buildings are relics of the twentieth century; shambling rococco mausoleums of brick or concrete. New City buildings are modular steel and glass constructs spearing out of the streets below. Both types bristle with a clutter of aerodyne landing pads, solar collector panels, microwave dishes, generator fans and automated weapons pods."

It's not just one or two AVs here and there. Hell, Night City even has a cab company called Aerocab, which offers a spinner cab service.

I'm not sure where people have gotten this image of a desolate sky devoid of air traffic, but it's never been my view when playing 2020, and it definitely doesn't seem to be what's written in the books. In any case, "a maze of" != "essentially uncrowded", I think that much is clear.

Last edited:
I posted it on my subreddit, and I did so because it's something I want to see in real life. Please oh please, Cyberpunk 2077, make this a reality—

Chinese lanterns inadvertently show us what a flying car/passenger drone highway would look like

Sydanyo;n8919090 said:
It's not just one or two AVs here and there. Hell, Night City even has a cab company called Aerocab, which offers a spinner cab service.
Sure is, at a premium price.
And you can get the exact same service today in New York City via helicopter, for a premium price.

My point is that while AVs aren't rare they aren't common either. Think of them like high end sports and luxury cars in a large city (London, Paris, New York), you see them around enough not to be "drop everything and stare" remarkable, but they're not what the typical commuter drives by far!

And keep in mind CP2020 didn't predict iPads either, so take everything with a grain of salt and be prepared to things in 2077 to NOT be an updated clone of 2020.

Last edited:

Guest 4149880

Ciri said everyone has a flying ship, so I can imagine just that, looking above seeing flying vehicles all over. Doesn't mean it has to be cheap though, going to have to build up those Eurodollars to even afford to fly...

I dont think they are going to make drivable flying cars. It would decrease graphical quality of the game as you cant use buildings and surrounding to block visibility(reducing amount of rendering objects). Also they would make encounters useless as you can fly far high in save and lastly everyone would use them as they are so superior to everything else as you can also fly straight line towards target.

Reason why they hired person who is good at flying physics is so they could animate them better. Have you guys seen the latest starship trooper trailer? Those flying vehicles was horribly animated as they did not behave like real flying objects would.

nallepuh86;n9340941 said:
Have you guys seen the latest starship trooper trailer? Those flying vehicles was horribly animated as they did not behave like real flying objects would.
Yes and I bet it's gonna be a horrible movie since it's direct-to-dvd kind of stuff. Terrible animations are just a byproduct of overall movie's quality.
I dont think they are going to make drivable flying cars. It would decrease graphical quality of the game as you cant use buildings and surrounding to block visibility(reducing amount of rendering objects). Also they would make encounters useless as you can fly far high in save and lastly everyone would use them as they are so superior to everything else as you can also fly straight line towards target.
Flying cars are more akin to helicopters in GTA games which were there since PS2 era with no problem. I don't see why you should have buildings and surroundings to block visibility. That's kinda doesn't work in Witcher 3 with Novigrad, but it was still an impressive looking city.

Guest 4149880

Reason why they hired person who is good at flying physics is so they could animate them better. Have you guys seen the latest starship trooper trailer? Those flying vehicles was horribly animated as they did not behave like real flying objects would.

This isn't 5 gen gaming anymore, flying cars aren't any different the driving cars.

Have you guys seen the latest starship trooper trailer? Those flying vehicles was horribly animated as they did not behave like real flying objects would.
Are you talking about that "Traitors of Mars" one?

If so... then that is a japanese animated movie... it's not a live action movie with actors playing in the scenes and such, it's voice acting. So it's not going to be something with a hollywood blockbuster type of money behind it in any way shape or form... they are going to try and make it as cheaply as they possibly can, which includes the flying vehicles... XD

It is a sequal to the "Starship Troopers: Invasion" one, which also was a japanese animated movie. They are both sequals to the original movie... and both also compleatly ignore anything that happend in Starship Troopers 2 and 3. I saw the Invasion one some several years ago, and though it was pretty good for what it was... I will be watching this new one now as well (now after that I am aware of it... so thanks for that... was not aware there might be another one untill your post... XD ).

There is actual talks about there possibly being an actual live action reboot of the Starship Troopers franchise though, two guys was hired last year to write a screenplay of it... not sure what has happend since. Hopefully this new one is going to be more representative to the actual book then what the first movie was (I do like that movie though), since the book is very different from what the movie became.

I hope that flying vehicles can be accessed but hard to steal or come by. I wish to see many flying vehicles but more as a backdrop than a necessity. I don't want this game to become version of saints row or GTA. I hope they emphasize on the streets and its atmosphere like Witcher 3. Flying vehicles in cyberpunk 2077 should be luxury not a necessity. If they need to go to the other side of the city, then they need to take a subway or any other public transportation. Remember, the main focus is the streets. Once you gain the privilege to fly a vehicle, then it should be allowed but at the cost of fuel, maintenance, etc. That way players use the vehicle wisely.

I personally cannot wait to see what vehicle design CDPR has in store for us!

Guest 4149880

Being able to afford a vehicle shouldn't be the only way you could use one. That's one option, but for those who would like to barrow things should be able to even if it attracts some less desirable attention. Also, if you choose a class that uses some type of vehicle like the Cops.

Top Bottom