Will Cyberpunk 2077 have real choice?

+
Will Cyberpunk 2077 have real choice?

What I find sometimes lacking in RPG's is the ability to play the game the way you want to. You will be given many options and told your choices will make a difference, but the reality is no matter your choice you will pretty much get the same ending with minor variance. I really think RPG games should accommodate players no matter which alignment they choose to role play as.

Do you want the ability to play the game as good, evil or neutral?

For me I would really like to be able to play as a pure evil character. I am really tired of being forced into playing a hero and I would really love to be able to choose to become the villain. A merc for money with no care for morals.

Edit:

1) To clarify I am not saying the game should have only good and evil paths. They are merely the extremes I was using as an example. Yes of course the Ideal is a game that offers choice that's not black and white. And thats the point I am making, will we finally get this and do you want this?

2) To people that are going to bring up the point of "Its not easy to do this" of course its not easy, but there are games that have let you do this in the past. Never Winter Nights and the Blade Runner games come to mind. It can be done so the question is it important enough for you that you want CDPR to do it?

Last edited:
its hard to program games that way its essentially programing several games into one. but i agree. the main theme of cyberpunk besides being hightech no life is about saving yourself not the world. so i hope the narrative is not about saving the world and if it is there is an option to pick greed instead.

"Evil" "Good" "Hero" "Villain" in RPGs....here we go again.....best case in CP77 is that there is none of this black and white view
I dont want the game to force me to pick between either one of the two kiddish paths if you wish to be rewarded by the special powers either the good, or the evil side has to offer. There's no room for experimentation, and no way to exercise your own sensibilities in each scenario, limiting the morality system to two conformed paths, rather than giving you access to a freeform structure where applying your own sensibility in each case is rewarded.

animalfather;n8425220 said:
its hard to program games that way its essentially programing several games into one. but i agree. the main theme of cyberpunk besides being hightech no life is about saving yourself not the world. so i hope the narrative is not about saving the world and if it is there is an option to pick greed instead.

braindancer12;n8425280 said:
"Evil" "Good" "Hero" "Villain" in RPGs....here we go again.....best case in CP77 is that there is none of this black and white view
I dont want the game to force me to pick between either one of the two kiddish paths if you wish to be rewarded by the special powers either the good, or the evil side has to offer. There's no room for experimentation, and no way to exercise your own sensibilities in each scenario, limiting the morality system to two conformed paths, rather than giving you access to a freeform structure where applying your own sensibility in each case is rewarded.

I have edited my post in response to your comments.

And to further comments I really would like a discussion about, is it important to you to have choice? How much choice do you want and how many choices or range of choice do you want?

It can be done .... Vampire: Bloodlines is the classic example.
But ... as has been said it's a LOT of work. Work many game companies ... and most publishers see as a waste of time/money.
Let's hope CDPR shows them it's NOT a waste of time/money.

affront692;n8425790 said:
I have edited my post in response to your comments.

And to further comments I really would like a discussion about, is it important to you to have choice? How much choice do you want and how many choices or range of choice do you want?

the more the better really. fallout new vegas was amazing because of its choices its the rpg with the most choices and outcomes i have ever seen. if you want to dwelve into RPGs where choices matter vs RPGs were choices dont matter i suggest you watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLJ1gyIzg78

disregard the childish title its ironic but this is probably one of the greatest analysis of RPG games i have seen.

Bathesda has been steadily become more of a shooter/hack-n-slash game developer then an RPG one for some time. Presumably to cash in on the larger shooter market and keep the RPG one at the same time. Just look at Fallout 4.

Suhiira;n8426380 said:
Bathesda has been steadily become more of a shooter/hack-n-slash game developer then an RPG one for some time. Presumably to cash in on the larger shooter market and keep the RPG one at the same time. Just look at Fallout 4.
Blame Skyrim being a huge success, as before Skyrim Bethesda was more respectable and consumer-friendly company even if their products had questionable quality.

affront692;n8425120 said:
What I find sometimes lacking in RPG's is the ability to play the game the way you want to. You will be given many options and told your choices will make a difference, but the reality is no matter your choice you will pretty much get the same ending with minor variance. I really think RPG games should accommodate players no matter which alignment they choose to role play as. Do you want the ability to play the game as good, evil or neutral? For me I would really like to be able to play as a pure evil character. I am really tired of being forced into playing a hero and I would really love to be able to choose to become the villain. A merc for money with no care for morals.

Edit: 1) To clarify I am not saying the game should have only good and evil paths. They are merely the extremes I was using as an example. Yes of course the Ideal is a game that offers choice that's not black and white. And thats the point I am making, will we finally get this and do you want this?

2) To people that are going to bring up the point of "Its not easy to do this" of course its not easy, but there are games that have let you do this in the past. Never Winter Nights and the Blade Runner games come to mind. It can be done so the question is it important enough for you that you want CDPR to do it?

affront692;n8425790 said:

It's not just choices but also their consequences. I want there to be choices that have meaningful consequences to the player character's story. However, I do not want to make choices that change the world. Part of the allure of the cyberpunk genre it's noirishness (look! I made a word!). I would be surprised if your choices made the world an incredibly better place or an incredibly worse place. I don't want to pick which corporation has more influence on Night City, or whether 15 city blocks are leveled in an explosion, or anything big like that. Those types of choices are outside the realm of the noir genre IMO. Having said that, your choices should definitely effect the characters around you, your place in the world, and perhaps most importantly your view of yourself.

I doubt it will be a hero or villain choice. Most characters in noirs are both.

Choice is incredibly important. I think that in any given situation 2-4 options is best as creating more than that is difficult from a writing perspective considering there will hopefully be multiple choices that effect the story. I'm not sure what you mean by "range of choices" as that's highly dependent on what a specific scenarios is. As long as each of the available choices makes sense given the circumstances, I'll be happy.

Last edited:
Yep ... you need both choices AND consequences for it to be meaningful.
And most of the potential choices need to make sense given what you (or your character) knows.

Choices without consequences is the main gripe of the RPG crowd ... and the Action game one, for different reasons. The RPG crowd wants them to change the game, for the most part the Action types don't because that might mean game content they don't get to experience.

Last edited:
Top Bottom