ammo pickups, or the deep pockets issue

+
Escape From Tarkov actually has a pretty nifty inventory system. I'm not sure if other games have had it before, but that's where I mostly have come across it; it's your typical kind of "inventory tetris" - you have different slots for worn items, and then the belt, backpack, harness(?) and gamma container (extra box being carried around) each have their own inventory space. The items that then take for example 2x1 slots can fit horizontally or vertically, and they flip to fit into any free space.

The slot system is pretty much the most used and well-functioning inventory management system that takes into account the physical dimensions of items, whereas if you just have a list, or even just 1x1 slots for every single item, and only look at their combined weight, it becomes extremely unrealistic immediately.

Personally I'd much rather err on the side of at least some realism, rather than just have a system where you've got X carrying capacity, or X squares, and whoopee, you're good to go.

Indeed, this post has spurred me to reply:
My thoughts of inventory do align mostly with fellow CPs here.
Massive Inventory location? Car or mobile unit, I like. Other location like home(base) or the Bank work too. <<<
Grid-block visual mechanic on body(can vary if needed) seem fitting.
Stealth Survival or Tactical game has decent inventory system, but "original" of Cyberpunk theme. As long Inventory work.

I DO NOT agree with most online game where you have to purchase inventory upgrade or expansion only real life currency, because very few succeed in doing so, so having maxed or more depend on progress would be neat.. Since I do think purchasing the game should be the fine line, but game payment is another topic.

I would LOVE to point and reply with most people, but decide not to. Anyway: nothing will be clearer for some until the things is in front of them. In short, I can't wait for a Alpha or early game play tests way before release(months) if needed.

PS I do understand why this post, it is nice to have more thing to talk about. and yeah it does get annoying for some games. You rather not manage your inventory.

Last edited:
animalfather;n8611730 said:
anyone like my idea of having a backpack that gets bigger (on screen) the more stuff you put in it?

As long as it doesn't get ridiculously huge... It'd be hard to lurk in alleyways and be taken seriously if you look like you're going on a week-long cross-country hiking expedition

anyone like my idea of having a backpack that gets bigger (on screen) the more stuff you put in it?

I do to really. It could be as simple as having 3 stages of fullness of it.

Anywhere from 33% and lower = fairly flat and such.

34-66'ish % used = double in thickness from the flatt one (so from the back of the character and out), and maybe hanging a bit lower.

Anything from 67% and above= absolutly packed, maybe tripple the size of the flatt one in thickness (from back and out), areas on the side which looks like somehting inside is bulgeing it out, and hanging even lower then the medium full one.

I guess the only question here really though is what size of backpack it should be. Maybe have 3 options in size... but where even the largest one is smaller then military or camping backpack. The smallest one could maybe be a bit smaller then an average school back pack. The middle sized one could be roughly a school bag one. And the Larger oen could maybe be half as big at most as the middle one. Anything larger then that and it is probably going to catch the character a lot more attention then what they would want.

Heck... some missions you could potentually take in the game might effect the size of backpack you can use for X reason... in some missions you might not even be able to wear a backpack at all for what ever reason.

Calistarius;n8627910 said:
Heck... some missions you could potentually take in the game might effect the size of backpack you can use for X reason... in some missions you might not even be able to wear a backpack at all for what ever reason.
Try to enter a Corp Office or most Corp secured Beavervilles with a backpack ... just try it ...

Suhiira;n8646090 said:
Try to enter a Corp Office or most Corp secured Beavervilles with a backpack ... just try it ...

It'd certainly raise some eyebrows.

-----------------------------------------------------

On a different note, I want clarify a bit my earlier sentiments.... I do not wish the "loadout" stuff that I mentioned to mean it's a military sim type of affair, that the character has an invisible combat vest on all the time and with what you choose to take with you is what you are limited to. It's an RPG and certain amount "magic pockets" syndrome comes with the picture. Just that it'd be a feature that requires a bit of thinking ahead and responsibility to make the right choice for the occasion.

Last edited:
Calistarius;n8591490 said:
This inventory system seen below comes from a Russian game called "7,62 High Calibre"... aka "E6" (the previous game was known as "Brigade E5: New Jagged Union", hence the E6 on 7.62... there are atleast 2 more games in the series as well as far as I remember... but outside of E5 and E6 only one other from the game series is on Steam, I think it is E8 and is on steam known as "Marauder").

E5 and E6 is more or less classified as an "Tactical Stratagy Simulator RPG game" (although Marauder is also a "Post-apocalyptic Survival" game, where you build up your base (a huge apartment block) over time), and in my mind this game series is one of the most realistic games I have ever played when it comes to combat and a lot of other aspects around it. The RPG part of the game tends to revolve around that it is stats driven and that your characters get better at what they do (and their stats) by doing relevent stuff in the game. I keep coming back to this game series over and over again because I highly enjoy everything about them. XD

Anyway...
I have 7.62 on my PC right now, and it's been on it for years because while I don't play it as a continuous game (like I did the very first time I played) I like to come back to it from time-to-time because it is an excellent game (specially if you add Blue Sun).

In this tactical squad-based game Ready or Not, they made it a point to have the items your character is equipped with to be actually displayed on their model.

http://voidinteractive.net/developer-blog-01-teaser-and-beyond/

I think you should have to be careful about what's on you as you go about the world, because a real living world would react to anybody walking down the street with a grenade launcher in their hands.

You should only arm yourself to the teeth if you know you are gonna go to war, and you should have to be mindful of concealment. Maybe if concealment is not an option, you would want to travel in a less conspicuous manner than walking out in the open. It would make owning a vehicle advantageous because you can stash your gear in the vehicle, only taking it out when you know you are going to need it.

Meccanical;n8656050 said:
I think you should have to be careful about what's on you as you go about the world, because a real living world would react to anybody walking down the street with a grenade launcher in their hands.
While a grenade launcher or sniper rifle would certainly raise eyebrows in Night City no one would pay much attention to an SMG (outside a Corp Zone).

Being armed to defend yourself vs the average street trash gang banger is "normal".
Being armed to take on cyborgs or SWAT teams isn't.

Given how little we know about the game, it's hard to know what's thematically appropriate. The trailer implied cyberpsychosis was going to be a big issue, and the only two forces involved were a a civilian cyborg that's disassociated, a bunch of dead civilians, the news, and the police force... and that cyborg was apparently recruited into that police force. If you're not expected to ever pick stuff up in combat, if the game is treated as you being part of a police force, then a super detailed milsim-like inventory system makes sense as it's a tactical choice you make once.

If the game is more open world, if you're expected to go where you please, then an onerous inventory system that demands you constantly re-evaluate whether you can pick something up or has you constantly redressing just to cross the street simply won't work. People here may be complaining about a lack of realism, but that's a mild, niche complaint. Absolutely everyone hates a game that takes you out of the action to fiddle with a mouse-driven UI to remind you how "realistic" it all is. Because obviously nothing is more realistic than spending ten minutes deciding whether you can pick up some ammo or a candy bar or not.

This is what these games with complex inventories have in common, you don't actually use them very often. You're supplied by HQ, acquisition is abstracted away and not something for you the player to worry about. Sure, you could pick up a random rifle if you so desire, but the one you have is better. The only one you'd want to pick up is the one that has ammo lying around, and swapping out a single weapon and ammo for another doesn't make the clunkiness of the inventory screen that apparent. I mean, how long does it take you to gear up in ARMA? Can you imagine doing that constantly? Fiddling with the inventory is probably the worst part of games like DayZ, as your character magically becomes unable to respond to their environment because you're in a mouse-driven menu and that means your entire body is paralyzed while you try to eat some jerky.

Complicated inventory systems aren't necessarily more realistic, they're just more fiddly. They can cause dramatically more unrealistic behavior compared to a game that abstracts away inventory management depending on the genre. This is an RPG, there's going to be things to pick up and money to make and bodies to drag to chop shops. Milsim inventory management is going to go over about as well as any grid inventory in any other RPG, whether or not the little squares want to bitch at you about whether you're allowed to put that item in there.

Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be more grounded than a fantasy RPG, sure, there's not going to be any magical potions or teleportation spells. But if it's going to be at all like the Witcher 3, which seems likely given that they probably want to reuse as many system as possible to be efficient, it's not going to spend it's time constantly telling you no, you can't have nice things because your ammo belt already has a candy bar in it.

Actually we know a fair bit about CP2077.

It's based on the PnP Cyberpunk 2020 game, the designer and copyright owner of CP2020 (Mike Pondsmith) has refused several times in the past to permit games to be made off his property because they basically wanted to create shooters set in his game. Mike is working with CDPR and has been rather (OK ... very) enthusiastic about how CP2077 is working out.

Just because a game uses certain descriptive terms, i.e. "open world", doesn't mean it'll play like Fallout or Skyrim ... tons of junk everywhere you need to transport to someplace so you can sell it in order to have money to buy the stuff you need/want.

As to ARMA, it may take a while to gear up the first time, but unlike ARMA you get to save your character and gear between sessions so it shouldn't be bad after the first time. That and chances are you won't have access to everything you might like at the start of CP2077 so you'll build your load-out over time.

I would gladly see the equipment system used in tactical RPG series "7.62 High Calibre". You could carry a few firearms, but they would be all hanging from you and, preferably, restraining your movement. Using tactical gear, clothing would allow you to carry more stuff, but never nearly as much as in typical RPG.

Guest 4149880

Well from CP2020, characters have such things called Outfits, which is basically anything you can carry on the go in a backpack or bag. SO maybe 2077 might follow a similar system where you can carry so much on your actually character which actually is shown on your character model and your other gear is in a limited carry bag you have either with you or in a vehicle or at another location. Basically you have to be prepared for the missions ahead and you cant carry everything in a bottomless inventory. The rest of your gear must be placed at a safe zone, house or apartment... Would be cool in CP2077 to actually show all the gear on your character, firearm, sidearm, melee weapon... even be able to carry your extra gear in a backpack, think the last of us. Would be cool

Last edited by a moderator:
whatever a player is carrying...it would be refreshing when he REALLY IS CARRYING.....meaning...if he has a bazooka then it should be big and visibly on his back or something...you know what i mean...like in so many games weapons only show when they are selectet and when they are stored away they mysteriously vanish out of sight...like a magic trick where u can take a tank out of a hat ^^

I'm fine with a backpack that shows what your bringing along to some extent - like in the last of us.

I (like many here it seems) would like a more realistic system with some serious inventory weight/size restrictions. However IIRC in TW3 CDPR had to end up reducing the weights of everything because most players didn't like having to constantly spend time sorting, selling & ditching inventory items. So I'm not holding my breath. Especially if the game is as big as has been implied, a realistic carry capacity might be a problem. Lots of inventory + big world + low carry capacity = tedium to some extent. I like some degree of tedium, but lots of people don't.

I think a the inventory should have two limitations. First is carry capacity and second is conceal-ability. Your carry capacity is fixed by your body type. The better body type score you have the more you can carry. Conceal-ability can only be increased by the gear you have (backpack, trench-coat, jacket, etc). Edit I don't think a grid is necessary. Just have your inventory. If you have items that wont fit in your pocket (or backpack etc if you have it) the items are seen on your belt or slung over your shoulder.

Also, a place to store items would be a must if your going to have this sort of system. Make it so you can only Mod/Craft most items at certain locations. Limit your carry capacity and have a place you can dump off your extra stuff. I would suggest a vehicle and/or apartment of some sorts if your following the "mobile" populace ideas behind CP2020.

Last edited:

Guest 4149880

Rawls;n9095120 said:
I'm fine with a backpack that shows what your bringing along to some extent - like in the last of us.

Yeah I said this in my post as well, they should really build an inventory system to be shown on the character. At least the big stuff and depending on the size of the gun and what the character is wearing, for example a long coat, a rifle would be strapped around the character on the outside while a pistol could be concealed under the coat. And also that way you could manage your characters personal inventory as well as your backpack inventory. Say you carry a backpack most of the time, the weapons would attached to the bag for storage, other weapons on the character for use quickly. And for players that don't use backpacks, they could just carry a few weapons realistically and stay fairly light. Cyberpunk 2077 looks to be a huge game but that doesn't mean it couldn't use a limited and more streamlined inventory system, and it makes sense. never been a huge fan of grid based or a long list of crap in your character person. It would also prevent people in whatever kind of PVP this game will have from carrying every gun and weapon they find.

Games like Dark Souls are bad for this in that you can carry everything makes it to easy, but Bloodborne on the other hand forces the player to become and stay prepared.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rawls;n9095120 said:
I (like many here it seems) would like a more realistic system with some serious inventory weight/size restrictions. However IIRC in TW3 CDPR had to end up reducing the weights of everything because most players didn't like having to constantly spend time sorting, selling & ditching inventory items. So I'm not holding my breath. Especially if the game is as big as has been implied, a realistic carry capacity might be a problem. Lots of inventory + big world + low carry capacity = tedium to some extent. I like some degree of tedium, but lots of people don't.
This is another place giving the character a beat up old car at the start of the game would work well. Not only is it where they live it's also a pack mule. But even a trunk (boot) doesn't have an unlimited carry capacity, but it would sure cut down the tedium of hauling stuff around AND permit a limited character personal carry capacity so we don't have people going into fights with 10 weapons and a ton of ammo. Also a great place to store those items you pick up during the game that you'll need later but really hate having to carry around until you do.

Last edited:
I'm kind of iffy about the idea of running around a bustling metropol wearing an ever enlargening backpack (as if you were going camping) full of junk and guns and drugs and shit and metallic bodyparts. Unless the player is dressed as a hobo or something... which should be doable (wadrobe and style), but which should also have reprecautions (people don't like hobos, people don't let hobos inside buildings or shops or clubs, police might apprehend and search hobos... hobos are not nice, hobos are bad hombres, NCPD will build a wall around the slums and make hobos pay for it).

kofeiiniturpa;n9105030 said:
I'm kind of iffy about the idea of running around a bustling metropol wearing an ever enlargening backpack (as if you were going camping) full of junk and guns and drugs and shit and metallic bodyparts.
Agreed.
At the very least you should be stopped and searched CAREFULLY by security in the Corp Zones and whenever entering a Corp building.
And probably frequently when exiting shops ... you could have shoplifted something after all.
Make carrying a ton a stuff around the pain in the butt it really would be and 90% of players will probably be fine with it. The other 10% are going to whine no matter what you do so why worry about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom