Top signs we're living in a cyberpunk future

+
Top signs we're living in a cyberpunk future

http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2017/01/top-signs-were-living-in-cyberpunk.html

To go along with everyone else's "Wait, did the world become cyberpunk and I didn't notice?" I should point out the following facts:

1. From Robocop. "OCP traditionally dabbled in not for profit industries like healthcare, prisons, and space travel." All of which are now common works.

2. Hacktivist anarchist groups out to bring down government and corporate conspiracies actually exist.

3. Underground journalists and leakers are actually the biggest threat to First World security in the opinion of the Powers that be.

4. The FBI hired hackers to open a terrorist's phone.

5. The entirety of Enron was black comedy Frank Miller couldn't have written. For example: They fixed the California elections to put a action movie star in as governor while simultaneously shutting down half the state's power plants to create an artificial energy shortage. This while they were bankrupt from hiding all of their losses for a decade. That's some Shadowrun stuff right there.

6. The governments bailed out all the megacorps for gross financial stupidity.

7. The world's largest mercenary company, G4, does a large number of the West's prison system as well as corporate security.

8. Bionic limbs created by 3D printers are real. The latter because people can't afford the metal ones.

9. News networks (take your pick) exist as for profit entities catering to the whim of their audience's bias.

10. A reality TV show star and billionaire is the President after a guy who favored unlimited surveillance and use of assassination robots.

11. The fact unlimited surveillance exists and was used to help American corporations in deals.

12. The fact assassination robots exist.

13. The fact you can buy non-lethal versions of many assassination robots online.

14. A cellphone sized computer can be a weapon.

15. Phones and computers can be plugged into your head, albeit through your ears.

16. Detroit, as in Robocop 2, alas did actually declare bankruptcy. They also built a statue of Robocop because, unironically, they really wished they had one.

17. The world's eighth largest pyramid is a Bass Pro Shop in Tennessee.

18. The working class pay 95% of all taxes versus 5% by corporations when it was reversed in the Forties.

19. It's possible to buy a carbon fiber katana over the internet. Ditto mirror shades and a bullet proof trench coat--all shipped to you overnight.

20. The police now have Special Forces units in every city and many places have them driving APCs as well as tanks.

21. Social media resulted in spontaneous revolutions in several Arab countries. The crackdowns were pretty damn awful to say the least.

22. Virtual Reality is a thing with actual games being shipped for it.

23. Mass data mining occurs just to find out what you would buy from a online store and why.

24. Amazon has sold dumb AI for your house and Microsoft has done the same for your computer.

25. China is now the predominate economic power in the world due to how much leverage it has over the United States.

26. The Soviet Union may have fallen but we're back to Russians making sinister plans to take over the world, only now with computer hackers.

27. Electric self-driving cars exist but no one uses them versus oil guzzling military-looking ones.

28. The world's largest environmental disaster was paid for in fines which left the oil company fine.

29. It's impossible to tax most trans-national corporations due to their multinational nature.

30. Criminal syndicates with ties to terrorism have forced governments to treat with them.

31. Global warming has reached the point of "so obvious it's flooding cities" while corporations still foster people denying it.

32. Countries have places where there's not enough to eat or a central government but citizens possess Ipods.

33. A wetworks black ops against Iran's nuclear program was conducted entirely by hackers.

34. People have died playing video games because they didn't stop long enough to pee.

35. North Korea may have attacked America's movie industry with computer sabotage.

36. The fact mercenary-for-hire criminal hackers is an actual profession. They even have names based on what kind of hat they wear.

37. The fact artificial worlds people live much of their lives in are common pastimes online now.

38. The fact some postage is now being delivered by flying robots.

39. The fact individuals are still trying to make artificial islands to be lawless tax-free corporate states. Double points that these invariably become scams to bilk investors.

40. All of this is actually right on time for 2020.

You are of course right and I hate you for pointing this out. Wellup, time to take my lasered eyes and my titanium-secured tendon and go buy a good Rifle and a -lot- of canned goods.

But seriously, you raise one of the current problems running a CPunk game - staying ahead of reality!

Sardukhar;n7575140 said:
But seriously, you raise one of the current problems running a CPunk game - staying ahead of reality!
True, but that's going to be a problem with any "realistic" science fiction.
Look at the original Star Trek ... hand communicators, diskettes for computers, etc.

Suhiira;n7575380 said:
True, but that's going to be a problem with any "realistic" science fiction.
Look at the original Star Trek ... hand communicators, diskettes for computers, etc.

It was a lot easier in 1989 when this stuff was way ahead of us or very fringe. Now, as I place my VIVE on my head and wander around in my VR world....little harder.

41. Nestle extracted 35 million gallons of water from a California national forest during a drought to sell back to the people of California.

42. Almost all competing major brands from food to books are owned by a small number of 5-6 conglomerates. Many of these competing brands are owned by the same parent company.

43. A group of sixty hackers, librarians, and scientists gathered together all of the climate change data they could because they were afraid the President would delete it.

44. Completely artificial CGI and synthesized voice singers now exist.

45. A literal "Dark Web" exists for the purposes of buying everything from drugs to weapons to hitmen. The Silk Road website actually got taken down only to be back up under a man named "The Dread Pirate Roberts II" within weeks.

This girl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA8inmHhx8c
This guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qUPnnROxvY

I wish, i'd live 300, or 400 years more to see the progression of technology. Also, I'm curious if people nuke the world, terraform Mars, or unite under one govt at some point. I'm just so curious about the possibilities, they won't let me sleep! Anyway, I believe Elon Musk is doing a great job in making cyberpunk a reality. He want's to deliver a free Internet connection to the whole world and he already started drilling first tunnel for his Hyperloop project. The future is awesome, as long as we keep dreaming abut the "impossible", yes?

MrCroel;n8063350 said:
This girl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA8inmHhx8c
This guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qUPnnROxvY

I wish, i'd live 300, or 400 years more to see the progression of technology. Also, I'm curious if people nuke the world, terraform Mars, or unite under one govt at some point. I'm just so curious about the possibilities, they won't let me sleep! Anyway, I believe Elon Musk is doing a great job in making cyberpunk a reality. He want's to deliver a free Internet connection to the whole world and he already started drilling first tunnel for his Hyperloop project. The future is awesome, as long as we keep dreaming abut the "impossible", yes?

I also would LOVE to see where technology goes, and at what point the world "ends".

As everyone, i hoped CP game to be a pessimistic fiction about the future and i've seen the worst case scenarios becoming real issues. Technology is only a tool but the way we 'll use it is critical for everyone in a few years to come. The singularity is very near and dogmatic/religious people get VERY nervous about the future so ISIS rise, Brexit and Trump's election doesn't really surprised me, every action call a reaction. This is time for war, disinformation and fear, a time of crisis and doubts: just check the news, reality is stranger than fiction.

Yeah, what Willowhugger is saying it's in fact true, buuuut I'm with Sardukhar... It is a bit exaggerated to say that "we are already in a Cyberpunk world"... Though, it was fun the time I passed thinking about this... like 2 hours maybe? xD

Top Bottom