PBEM Campaign - Suhiira - The Game Itself

+

PBEM Campaign - Suhiira - The Game Itself

• Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hernando looks Chita with curiosity: it wasn't her idea? So someone else paid it? Probably a client... meaning that Chita isn't rich as Hernando thought but have some weird clients... or lovers.
"So, anyone knows anything about our employers? If it wasn't your company, I was already probably doing some research about those guys here, and that wouldn't be a good idea."

Gremlin starts to chew on a breadstick, "Traditional Eyetalian Mafia."

Chita nods, "Very traditional ... be polite, be respectful, don't challenge them, but don't be a whimp. Think of them as a poser gang based on that really old movie, 'The Godfather'."

"Ah Gofar?" says Mouse with his/her mouth full?

"Thanks for the tip"
What the hell was she talking about? He knew about the mafia, but he didn't saw that movie.
"Hey, since it's just probably one of us to get the job, the others could work together. It's not my usual line of work, but I knew people who gathered to digest bigger targets and it really worked.

Mouse speaks up; "Word I got was they wanted a Decker and possibly support." (S)He takes a bite "Mif bee day waf odders ta s'port a 'owboy dat kant doo nufin butt hak."

"That sort of implies whatever they want hacked doesn't permit remote access." Says Chita.

Gremlin nods; "Yup."

Mouse swallows ... "Hey maybe we could team up for sumthin' after this gig? Got any leads?"

"For my part I have reasons for wanting to get in good with the Italians." Chita comments.

Gremlin raises an eyebrow but remains silent.

Mouse swallows ... must really like those breadsticks ... or be hungry. "Wafor?"

Last edited:
"To be honest, I was thinking that this place would be with a big crowd. Doesn't matter, better like this."

OOC: Okm, I'm ready to advance when you want. And congratulations for the NPC's, they are really very interesting and unique.

Over the next few minutes the person that went in back just as you arrived leaves, and is shown the door. Then Mouse is called in and comes back out, but unlike the others is returned to your booth and as you're called into the room you see the waiter place a plate of spaghetti with a single good size meatball (real meat ?!?) in front of Mouse.

As you enter the room you see a man sitting at one end of a table and a woman with a deck in front of her at the middle opposite you. Two men and a woman, apparently muscle, are spaced around the room. Two in the corners that will be behind you when you sit at the table and the third next to the seated man.

The man speaks, "Please be seated Mr. ???"

No one has checked you for weapons, either they're very stupid or totally unconcerned. Might this be part of that traditional polite respect Chita mentioned?

((Thank you, I try to make the people you'll be interacting with interesting.))

"Mr Gutierrez, you are a netrunner are you not? My niece here has created a situation you will attempt to overcome. There is a data package you must locate and alter as indicated ..." The woman opposite you slides you a datapad with some info on it. "... there is no particular time limit but how quickly you accomplish the task will be taken into account. Should she tell me your entry has been detected this interview is over. Do you have any questions?"

The woman smiles at you, the muscle you can see seems to be sizing you up, the man looks attentive and interested. No pressure, right?

(( Please make a roll for Cool. ))

Last edited:
Hernando feels very nervous. This is just like school and he don't like it: Hernando usually receives his instructions and work alone in his place. or with other runners like him. Having his bosses looking directly at him? Not cool. He try to smile but fail and just say.

"No question".

https://rolz.org/dr?room=Cpunk2020

OOC: Sorry, I was out for some days. I had an "8", not a brilliant result

Last edited:
The woman passes you a peer-to-peer cable and allows you to set up your deck. Looking at the general system layout and the notes on the datapad she gave you you're in some sort of warehouse and need to locate, and alter a shipping invoice, One of the items currently listed on it needs to disappear and the total mass container it's in be altered to reflect the mass without that item included.

(( We're not going to bother with specific software programs, to complex for a PBEM situation that will deal with overall results rather then tracking everything move-by-move. Just use your
Interface (7), plus
Awareness (3) [what you see/sense] or
System Knowledge (2) [how is x related to y] or
Programing (3) [you need to alter something] or
Library Search (2) [where is some information located] skill plus your decks
Speed (0) [offensive actions] or
Data Walls (2) [defensive actions] ))

(( Cool-5 + Roll-3 = 8 ... so ... I'm afraid the first three skill rolls you make in the following will have a -2 modifier because you're a rattled. 8 not a good result, but you didn't blow it completely with a 1 at least.))

#1 - Infiltrate the local network ... Interface + System Knowledge + Speed -2 Modifier
#2 - Bypass local security ... Interface + Awareness + Speed -2 Modifier AND Interface + Programming + Speed rolls -2 Modifier
#3 - Locate the data ... Interface + Library Search + Speed
#4 - Make the item disappear from the shipping manifest ... Interface + Programming + Speed
#5 - Alter the manifest to appear unaltered ... Interface + Programming + Speed
#6 - Get back out in one piece ... Interface + System Knowledge + Speed

((Succeed at all of these and we'll continue on ... fail at any of them and we'll pick things up at that point and deal with what's happened. If you feel the need to alter your character skills before doing these rolls that's fine, or if you could afford but didn't start with a better deck, but you should be OK for something this easy as your base will be 7+2 or 3 = 9 or 10 plus a roll of 1+ [for routine/easy stuff ... 10+] or 5 or 6+ [for difficult stuff ... 15+] each time. I'm afraid your deck isn't the worlds best, pretty basic. I'm altering the totals needed to succeed to reflect the fact that we're not using software programs and their modifiers. Of course ANY roll of a 1 may result in a critical fail so if that happens roll a second time and we'll deal with the results.))

Time to show these pasta eaters how good a beaner is !

Last edited:
I did blow. I had a 3 in the dice, plus 5 of cool=8, not 8+5=13. So what are the modifiers? -2? -3? I will use luck to compensate that.

((OOPS! Misread that ! Your call, either 7 luck to bring the cool roll to 15, a success, thus negating the -2 modifier. Or try the first 3 skill checks with that -2 modifier and hope you succeed two or three times and don't need to spend the 3x2=6 luck, or more if you really blow it.))

I spend the 7 in cool.
1-Interface (7)+System know (2)+1d10=14.
2-Interface (7)+awareness (3)+1d10=15
AND
Interface (7)+Progr(3)+1d10=13
3-Interface (7)+Library search (2)+1d10=12
4-Int (7)+Prog(3)+1d10= 19
5-Int (7)+Prog(3)+1d10= 11
5-Int (7)+Syst know(2)+1d10= 12

Not brilliant results. But since I have bought all those programs, shouldn't they give me some bonus?

(( Hernando only has 5 Luck so you can't spend 7 in cool ... we'll assume you spent 2 to make the total 10 for a -1 modifier instead of a -2, so you have 3 Luck left for this situation.))

Hernando easily taps into the simulated local network (14-1=13 ... 10 needed) and identifies the security measures in place (15-1=14 ... 10 needed) but has a bit of trouble bypassing one tricky part (13-1=12 ... 15 needed ... spend your remaining 3 Luck to make it 15?) ... you can't afford to be "detected" at this point ... what to do ... what to do ...

((The programs in CP2020 generally only add +1 to +3 and I'm reducing most skill checks one level, -5, so no, not going to get any bonus for programs since it would be less then the difficulty level reduction I'm giving ... unless of course you want the lesser bonus ? :p ))

OOC: Dices really hates me. Ok, I'l do everything as you say, can't aford to loose now. :(
I'm roleplaying this part if you don't mind, like if it was the book "snowcrash". If you don't like it, just ignore it.

Hernando dives in the local network. Bad news: even if it's not very realist, the niece has created some details, that show she is a pro. Eh, no problem, he is one too! He is in an empty street ; it's probably the only street that exists here. Hernando's avatar look just a gentleman from the early XX century. There are several building in here, that look empty warehouses, except a buildling with a watchguard (a dog) outside: couldn't be more obvious. Hernando sends a program that distracts the dog, Piece of cake. But suddenly the dog turns to Hernando avatar. he almost get in panic, but he activate an invisible program; the dog look in his direction for what seems an eternity (probably 2 seconds), and then leaves the place.

Last edited:
(( Go for it! It's YOUR virtual reality, so it can be anything you want. ))

With the dog distracted Hernando slips into the warehouse it was guarding and quickly locates the office, searching thru stacks of paper on a desk there, recent cargo arrivals (12 ... 10 needed), he finds the one he's looking for right on top of the pile and pockets it (19 ... 15 needed), real silk stockings? Expensive shit man. Humm ... now then, what else was in that particular shipment? Seems to be a load of Chinese knock-offs of a popular childrens toy. He needs to alter the manifest to appear unaltered even tho he's removed an item. This isn't going to be easy (11 ... 10 needed). Let's see, we can't move an item from another container to this one unless we go out into the warehouse and physically move the item as well because the contents wouldn't match the manifest. So I guess the easy thing to do would be to just adjust the total mass of the container to match the mass minus the stockings ... done.

Now to slip past the guard dog again and get out of here (12 ... 10 needed). Seems Fido is still chasing the distraction you created earlier so no problem.

Hernando emerges from the local network and looks across the table at the niece, who still seems to be immersed in the net, searching for Hernando? He removes a data chip containing the "silk stockings" from his deck and slides it up the table to the boss.

The man looks at the chip, then the niece, his eyebrows raise and he clears his throat. "Maria ... Maria ... wake up girl ...". She blinks a couple times and looks toward him, he slides your data chip to her, she picks it up and slots it into her own deck. "Not bad."

"It seems you may have the skills needed Mr Gutierrez, if you would be so kind as to return to the booth and send in the next applicant?"

As you exit the back room the guard outside the door looks in at the boss who nods to him, he then gets the waiters attention and even as you're sliding back into the booth you see the waiter approaching with a plate of spaghetti ... and the big meatball.

Hernando thanks the waiter, and then joins his group.
"Mouse, it's your turn. Good luck and earn your meal". he then says to the others:
"Well, I hope you don't mind that I start eating".

(( Mouse was here before you arrived and is enjoying his/her spaghetti. ))

"Lofs lik ya pas'd." Mouse swallows. "How'd it go?"

Chita gets called in next, you'd probably love to see how Mr Traditional reacts to her ... and how the hell do you test a Solo???

"Go ahead." Says Gremlin.

Seems you sort of have your answer as the two goons that were in the corners behind you lead Chita out of the room and into the back of the restaurant ... alley behind the building maybe?

(( Want to stay in the booth or try to sneak a look at whatever it is they're about to do? ))

Last edited:
(( Well the muscle standing outside the door to the back room where you got tested is about 5m away, and hasn't moved. You can't see any visible cameras but you'd bet your bottom dollar they're there and cover every cm on the place. You could go down a short hallway near the kitchen, the bathrooms are there.))

Top Bottom