x

You have decided to merge your account with the GOG.com.

You can now start participating in the community discussions.

x

You chose to opt out from the merge process.
Please note that you will not be able to access your account until you opt in.

We strongly encourage you to merge your RED account with the GOG.com one.
If you want to do it later please try logging in again.

• Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baaad bad matchmaking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baaad bad matchmaking

So I've played around 15 games so far, whereas I've won only 2 of them.
    The Cards I got from the Tutorial didn't help that much so my Decks are still the starter ones.
    The Opponents I play against have ~3-4 Gold cards in their decks, lots of silver ones
    - overall better cards. (and already tactis!!!) Sometimes I got close to winning, but most of the games I get crushed.

I guess the matchmaking works around the level the player is so if people buy kegs early this can be exploited.

It's rly no fun playing like this, sadly

Nope the matchmaking does not work Based on Level (as you said can be exploited ) but on a defined MMR (it was confirmed). But i don't know how the system treats a new (unranked) player. Took me around 20 30 or so games till it became more fair.

Comment

I agree, matchmaking is horrible. With a starter deck you struggle to find other starters and mostly play against people who already have lots of stronger cards.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, thats at least a bit of a relief!
        But getting through 20-30 games till you find "even" matched games is quite stressful.

Comment

Originally posted by Zervok
          So I've played around 15 games so far, whereas I've won only 2 of them.
          The Cards I got from the Tutorial didn't help that much so my Decks are still the starter ones.
          The Opponents I play against have ~3-4 Gold cards in their decks, lots of silver ones
          - overall better cards. (and already tactis!!!) Sometimes I got close to winning, but most of the games I get crushed.

I guess the matchmaking works around the level the player is so if people buy kegs early this can be exploited.

It's rly no fun playing like this, sadly
          Matchmaking takes time to calibrate, the more you play the better match-ups you should find

Comment

Originally posted by Rethas
            Matchmaking takes time to calibrate, the more you play the better match-ups you should find
            If the calibration is taking 20-30 matches to start getting reasonable results, that's a big problem, I think.

If each match takes around 15 minutes, a new player, currently, have to endure at least 5 hours of frustration to start having a good gaming experience.
            I'm not sure of how many casual players would grind through it, especially because they don't know if it will get better any time soon. If they keep losing and getting no reward for playing for 3-4 hours, they might think the game is not worthy of their time.

Most games have an "easy" start with low rewards, then, progressively, gets harder with bigger rewards. That's a gaming model that works for a reason, it's friendly to new players, it doesn't scare them away.

I don't know how to do it, but it must be a way to make the game more enjoyable for new players.
            NEW GAME MODE SUGGESTION >>> http://forums.cdprojektred.com/forum...or-new-players

Comment

Originally posted by zkenpachiz
              If the calibration is taking 20-30 matches to start getting reasonable results, that's a big problem, I think.

If each match takes around 15 minutes, a new player, currently, have to endure at least 5 hours of frustration to start having a good gaming experience.
              I'm not sure of how many casual players would grind through it, especially because they don't know if it will get better any time soon. If they keep losing and getting no reward for playing for 3-4 hours, they might think the game is not worthy of their time.

Most games have an "easy" start with low rewards, then, progressively, gets harder with bigger rewards. That's a gaming model that works for a reason, it's friendly to new players, it doesn't scare them away.

I don't know how to do it, but it must be a way to make the game more enjoyable for new players.
              From the data we see it is enjoyable for new players.

I'm sorry certain people are having a bad experience, but once ranked mode is introduced a lot of higher skilled players will migrate to only playing there.

Also having proper matchmaking after such a short period isn't realistic. The game has just started and there's no such defined high, medium or low MMR.. because that is being defined by players. We can't set arbitrary numbers that would defeat the point of what we're trying to accomplish

Comment

I haven't had any issues with the matchmaking so far. I'm F2P and haven't played against anyone that's obviously outclassed me in card quality.

Comment

There is matchmaking, really ? I thought I read somewhere that the current beta version just randomly chose an available opponent and that matchmaking would be introduced later...

Because it felt pretty random to me, I am a pretty awful player but I seem to oscillate between ending up against players who annihilate without any challenge me and others who seem to have even less of a clue what they are doing than I do

Comment

To me it seems to work pretty well. Yes, I loose maybe most of my matches, but around 50% of those have been lost like 50 vs 49 points. Some I have lost because I made pretty stupid and huge mistakes myself or opponent just managed to crush my one and only strategy from the beginning.

I have also won like 50 vs 49 points, annihilated my opponent etc or just won with pure luck. Sadly I have also won few matches because my opponent made a mistake or just didn't know how the cards work. I felt so bad for them, so my sympathies if you see this Trust me, I know how it feels to scorch away your own cards instead one of your opponents card. Been there, done that... (many times)

I bought some kegs just out of curiosity, but didn't got anything special that could change the world. My best cards I have gotten from kegs bought with game currency. I crafted one or two bronze cards... I haven't yet seen my opponents using any "super cards". Mostly they have just the same cards as I do.

Most educational moments for me in this game have been those where opponent just came and crushed me like a bug "Oh, so THAT'S how it works..."
                    Please be kind and keep the FORUM RULES in mind.
                    Looking for a place where to discuss about other video games and other topics not related to CDPR games? Check out our Community section. Hairy Bear is a nice tavern for casual chit chat.

Comment

I'm sorry certain people are having a bad experience, but once ranked mode is introduced a lot of higher skilled players will migrate to only playing there.

Also having proper matchmaking after such a short period isn't realistic. The game has just started and there's no such defined high, medium or low MMR.. because that is being defined by players. We can't set arbitrary numbers that would defeat the point of what we're trying to accomplish
                      Well, I don't have access to the data and you (CD PROJEKT RED) are the most interested on making the game better and sustainable.

I'm just arguing over the complaints I've seen and, If you're saying those are very isolated cases from a few players with bad luck, I'll just take your word on it and ignore similar threads in the forum.

As long as a new player, who never heard of Gwent, will be able to join the game full of experienced players already and still have a good time, I have nothing else to say on the matter.
                      NEW GAME MODE SUGGESTION >>> http://forums.cdprojektred.com/forum...or-new-players

Comment

Matchmaking is broken. Lost 5 games in a row. In all of them I had no chance to win. Overwhelming cards. I guess I just give up them at the beginning. I won't lose my time and maybe even play against beginners.

Comment

Thanks Rethas, can't wait for ranked ! It will indeed solve a lots of problems !
                          Wondering how much you could farm per day ? http://forums.cdprojektred.com/forum...n-make-per-day (Last update (04/11/16)

Kegs droprate & ratio : http://forums.cdprojektred.com/forum...-and-drop-rate

http://twitch.tv/Bre3zeR feel free to drop by if you want that sexy dope French Accent of mine.

Comment

I wonder if, maybe, having Levels 1-3 match by level (and then that data can help MMR) would be possible. We already have milling locked by level, so making sure new Level 1-3 players played against other new level 1-3 players so they have time to adapt to the game might help (assuming it's even possible from a programming standpoint).

Though, I'd guess that such a system would rely on a reasonably steady influx of new players to allow for those match-ups to continue. Unless it just first checked for a Level 1-3 pairing before opening to an MMR pairing.
                            V/R

Treamayne

Theme Decks - New Player Tips - Starter Deck Synopsis - Non-bug FAQ - Known Issues thread - Bug/Feedback Submission Form

Comment

Level 1-3 players are not restricted from buying kegs...

My two cents about bad matchmaking: I hate long streaks of the same faction. I can play like 5-6 games in a row against Monsters and then 5-6 games in a row against NR. Even if players aren't using other decks and there's 50/50 Monster/NR ratio, I'd prefer to have next game with a different faction. I'd also rather play with the same Scoiatael player after a game or two with other factions than face different Monster players with the same strategy. It's getting boring very quickly especially considering the fact that I often can't play more than 5-6 games in a row.

Comment

Working...
                              X