Baaad bad matchmaking

+
I guess part of my point - particularly with that Monster deck that carried 56 Strength to round 2 - is that it's demoralizing to play a game where your opponent not only stomps the crap out of you in Round 1, he sets it up so that he doesn't have to play a single card to beat you in Round 2. My entire deck would struggle to achieve 56 Strength - the eight cards I had left had zero chance.

Demoralizing losses, particularly for new players, are what results in real rage-quitting - dropping the entire game like a hot potato and moving on to something that's more fun and rewarding.

Last edited:
Nekojin;n6871810 said:
I guess part of my point - particularly with that Monster deck that carried 56 Strength to round 2 - is that it's demoralizing to play a game where your opponent not only stomps the crap out of you in Round 1, he sets it up so that he doesn't have to play a single card to beat you in Round 2. My entire deck would struggle to achieve 56 Strength - the eight cards I had left had zero chance.

Demoralizing losses, particularly for new players, are what results in real rage-quitting - dropping the entire game like a hot potato and moving on to something that's more fun and rewarding.
Sounds like a Northern deck, not a Monster deck. Typical buffed, adrenaline rushed twin abominations. They're the current meta.

If you run into a NR opponent, kick his higher value cards into the vulnerables as much as you can. Alzur's Thunder, Lacerate, cheap little bronze cards that do damage to a target, scorch, bad weather onto them once buffed but not golden yet. Dimeritium bomb before they're golden.

Since they're currently what everyone and their dog runs, set up your deck to make their life hell.

Same is true for weird little cards that react positively to certain stuff happening (i.e. Hawk Support / Special Cards; some nasty Skellige cards do it too on violence against cards or on discarding of their cards). Kick those cards hard.

Btw, if you know that you have no chance, pass. If they "decide to educate you benevolently", aka "bad mannered twat shows off his cards to gloat", forfeit that crap and move on.

And I am not sure if Skellige is the most newbie friendly faction. Their graveyard synergy moves still baffle me after a week.

Zervok;n3450512 said:
So I've played around 15 games so far, whereas I've won only 2 of them.
The Cards I got from the Tutorial didn't help that much so my Decks are still the starter ones.
The Opponents I play against have ~3-4 Gold cards in their decks, lots of silver ones
- overall better cards. (and already tactis!!!) Sometimes I got close to winning, but most of the games I get crushed.

I guess the matchmaking works around the level the player is so if people buy kegs early this can be exploited.

It's rly no fun playing like this, sadly :(

Hey dude. If you are on XBL let me know and I wouldn't mind adding you and meeting up to practice. I will make a deck with regular cards so that I don't have a card advantage.

I appreciate that you're trying to point me to ways to get better at the game, Lytha, but it does not do anything to solve the existing problem. This complaint is going to happen again and again, especially after the game goes live. Ranked mode isn't going to stop it - you'll still have "griefers" who deliberately play "gimmick" decks like that just to crush newbies. If they get someone to quit playing, they get their jollies.

I'm not trying to get a better deck, I'm trying to point out that this game will be dropping players like flies if it continues like this at Launch. Being ROFLstomped isn't fun. Being ROFLstomped by every single game for over an hour is enough to make people leave, because "fun" is what people are looking for, and the game needs to deliver fun from the start. It's not just whining about powerful decks - it's about how being hit by powerful decks and not being able to see any way to even come close makes people want to go play something else. If someone's first day is un-fun, they are very unlikely to have a second. Many will leave without complaining. Some will complain loudly, but will still flounce after they've posted their rant. I'm trying to get across that there needs to be SOME way to ease players in. Right now - to me - it felt like signing up to a New Players Tournament for Magic: The Gathering, and being placed against a series of people who are using World Championship Winner decks.

And for the record, it WAS a Monster deck. He carried three cards forward - one by his Racial power, two by Adrenaline Rush.

Bear in mind that this is a beta with a (currently) artificially limited player base. How many people are in this beta, maybe a few thousand, scattered across all timezones? There probably aren't that many people around at any given time to create matched games yet. As more players get added, the matchmaking should improve. In the meantime, it's a learning experience. I'd rather play, lose and learn something, than be told "Sorry, there isn't a suitable match out there at this time".

Rethas;n6679382 said:
Matchmaking takes time to calibrate, the more you play the better match-ups you should find

Intresting, Good to know, and that means I'm much better than average or there is a lot of terrible players with all the card
I have nice Win ratio as f2p player at first 3 days but no luck in kegs so i start to struggle against player with gold card, Rethas Included, I have for most time only Geralt.
After 30 f2p kegs i have enough scraps to craft most basic cards for Monster Weather deck (still no lagendaries)
After ridiculous 20+ win streak i start to fight in most part NR decks with all cards and some Mirror.
I have plasure to fight against all heroes, Ridiculous decks with Dijkstra, Philippa, Vernon R. (kombi is the only one Legendary i've not seen)
I play against steamer which buy 200+ kegs.
After all that i have one game agains starter deck but just one.
I'm scared right now and excited in that same time!
​I hope there will be way to check Mmr in future, or whatever system is based on. I'm lost a little.

Ps. Rethas help Me, I know You play similar deck, what to do against Eilhart (spend 600 to make Crowns or 200 Sara to have back up line)

Last edited:
bre3zer;n6871100 said:
And the issue of a system like that. Is that by adding this variable to match making the process of find an opponent can become enormous.
I don't think so as they can always put a limit on search time and match with any available when it's exceeded.

BTW, a note for REDs about the matchmaking algorithm. I'm so tired of playing against Monsters with Eredin/Geralt + pass strategy, I forfeit immediately after seeing it. Since it's possible to face a lot of monster decks with the same strategy in a row it often leads to next match being played against a weak/starter deck and an unexperienced player: I can determine that by their cards and by the fact that they tend to look at a card I played a lot as if they see it for the first time. So I assume that matchmaking is hugely based on win/lose rate, which can be abused.

Top Bottom