Monsters Deck Ability - Does it need a rework?

+
Monsters Deck Ability - Does it need a rework?

So I've seen a lot of Monsters decks (and played them a lot myself) and I'm wondering if the faction ability needs a rework.

It seems to be extremely anti-strategy with the exception of the "strategy" of playing nothing but gold cards in the first round if you're lucky and get a couple in your opening hand (plus leader ability).

Hard to build a strategy around, insanely good/borderline OP (through nothing but luck) if you happen to carry over a big gold card when you otherwise had no business winning (and I say that as someone who has definitely had my share of stupid wins based solely on a 1 in 12 chance of my gold card carrying over to the 3rd round).

Maybe something more interesting would be along the lines of: Pick 3 cards on your side, 1 of them is randomly selected to remain on the board (gold cards cannot be selected).

Or you can only carry over a bronze card and it returns to its original strength but it gets promoted to gold?

Just kind of spitballing to try and find a way to make it more interesting.

Thoughts?

I think it's fine. The card that carries over is entirely random. Yeah, it can be annoying when it carries over a strong card. You know what happens just as often, though? Carrying garbage cards like Foglets. Players that play one or two gold cards in the first round and pass aren't a problem either imo. It's a counter-productive strategy that almost always seems to guarantee an overall win for their opponents, so why anyone still tries to do it is beyond me.

It may suck and/or seem overpowered when players often seem to see Monster players get lucky, but I don't think it's any worse than what the other decks can do /without/ their ability (the endless gold cards of Northern Realms, for example).

snacktimeandlunch;n6891430 said:
So I've seen a lot of Monsters decks (and played them a lot myself) and I'm wondering if the faction ability needs a rework.

It seems to be extremely anti-strategy with the exception of the "strategy" of playing nothing but gold cards in the first round if you're lucky and get a couple in your opening hand (plus leader ability).

Hard to build a strategy around, insanely good/borderline OP (through nothing but luck) if you happen to carry over a big gold card when you otherwise had no business winning (and I say that as someone who has definitely had my share of stupid wins based solely on a 1 in 12 chance of my gold card carrying over to the 3rd round).

Maybe something more interesting would be along the lines of: Pick 3 cards on your side, 1 of them is randomly selected to remain on the board (gold cards cannot be selected).

Or you can only carry over a bronze card and it returns to its original strength but it gets promoted to gold?

Just kind of spitballing to try and find a way to make it more interesting.

Thoughts?

Some people find random interesting and fun, others don't. There's no way to please everyone, and there are lots of ways to build around the faction ability to be fair.

However due to the volume of complaints raised about it, we're looking into it.

Top Bottom