Gwent - Needs a competiton / race for something

+
Gwent - Needs a competiton / race for something

Hello all... IMO in current Gwent there is no challenge or race to earn something good which indirectly make it boring & repetitive gameplay for nothing but little entertainment & if that's what cdpr want then all is ok but if cdpr really wants to make it a huge success for long run then they really need to think about adding challenges with good rewards to earn.

So few suggestions from my side.....

1] Remove promote & even +2 to gold cards ability from NR & replace it with another good ability which really going prevent future NR exploits.

2] Add promote as a neutral silver card & limit gold turn ability to only one card.

3] Add +2 green strength ability to premium version of cards which really makes sense to have them or to craft them. This way premium cards going to have some usefulness & not going to become showpiece only.

4] Remove legendary / premium cards form kegs & make them available only by crafting or as a reward as currently getting needed legendary cards are really not a big thing & once you get it slowly slowly games become boring as there is nothing much to do. As well earning 800 scraps is really not a big thing as we don't want to craft all legendary in one day only.

5] Reduce damage & strength of bronze cards & add card upgrade system like.... 25 poor infantry cards going to upgrade it for +1 strength / Next upgrade 50 cards for +2 strength etc.so that having same cards via keg/premium keg/rewards is going to have some meaning & usefulness & it's going to add some competition in game. Off course there should be a limit on upgrading cards like may be 3 times only or to x strength only etc.

6] But please don't add card sharing as then it will turn game into pay to win.

7] Add faction wise daily task so that players going to to need all good cards from all factions indirectly add something which going to contain almost every card in use & not only few.

Currently Gwent feels awesome for few days till you not having all the cards you want but once you get it which is pretty easy with generous rewards its starts feeling boring & repetitive with same decks & strategies IMO.

3 & 5 are hell no, because RIP balance.

7 is a good suggestion

And why do you hate promote so much?

NlelithZ44;n7406150 said:
3 & 5 are hell no, because RIP balance.

How it's going to rip balance? when you are saying something with that intensity try to explain it in more words plez. as if you ask me +1/2/3 strength is really no a big thing to counter when we have strong counters like weather / scorch / igni & with more new counter cards I think its totally going to be fair.

About premium card suggestion it's a green strength & not a base strength suggestion so again I don't thing it's a big change to handle. where we currently facing same situation with NR all gold & +2 strength.

NlelithZ44;n7406150 said:
And why do you hate promote so much?

I am not hating it but having ability to turn cards into gold which makes them indirectly legendary & immune to almost everything & that also with bronze card & for specific faction only makes no sense at least to me. As it leads to unnecessary exploits like roach / olgierd or now poor infantry once possible & may be new once in feature with more new cards.
Neutral silver promote is far better imo.

TH3WITCH3R;n7406220 said:
How it's going to rip balance?
Well weather & destroying cards are one thing, but I keep certain damaging cards in my deck to deal with certain units, and during the initial draw I keep in hand those that will help me deal with what I expect from my opponent's faction/leader. For example: whenever I see Foltest as opponent's leader, I'll keep/try to draw Lacerate & Myrgtabrakke do deal with expected PFI. Now let's assume his PFI are 4 strength because of your suggested system. This means that Lacerate & Myrgtabrakke won't do much for me in this game and I'd better keep/draw Manticore's Venom. This is quite inconsistent imo.

As for premium buff, yeah, those won't be a big deal, but not all of them are units and not all of them are loyal. Your suggestion about them would need to address specials & spies.

And promote... If I understand you right, you want to take away this ability from Shani & Redanian Elite as well? Promote special has alredy been nerfed/fixed enough in my opinion, and PFI will certainly get nerfed (I still think that it will be a good solution to set them to permadeath on ressurection). I don't mind if this card will be changed in some way, though.

NlelithZ44;n7406350 said:
Well weather & destroying cards are one thing, but I keep certain damaging cards in my deck to deal with certain units, and during the initial draw I keep in hand those that will help me deal with what I expect from my opponent's faction/leader. For example: whenever I see Foltest as opponent's leader, I'll keep/try to draw Lacerate & Myrgtabrakke do deal with expected PFI. Now let's assume his PFI are 4 strength because of your suggested system. This means that Lacerate & Myrgtabrakke won't do much for me in this game and I'd better keep/draw Manticore's Venom. This is quite inconsistent imo.

I have no idea why many player here only thinking from 1 side [ from opp. side ] only as I suggested to add upgrade system for bronze cards so Lacerate or any other damaging card also going to have upgrade in damage like 20+ Lacerate cards to upgrade +1 damage etc. As well its possible for you too to upgrade your cards which makes it totally fair imo. Plus with this we have to be very careful which cards to save for upgrade & which card to mill for scraps.

As for premium buff, yeah, those won't be a big deal, but not all of them are units and not all of them are loyal. Your suggestion about them would need to address specials & spies.

I just posted suggestion to add something more to premium cards to make them little more important then normal version that's it. I don't care if cdpr or any member here will come up with other idea.

And promote... If I understand you right, you want to take away this ability from Shani & Redanian Elite as well? Promote special has alredy been nerfed/fixed enough in my opinion, and PFI will certainly get nerfed (I still think that it will be a good solution to set them to permadeath on ressurection). I don't mind if this card will be changed in some way, though.

Nope I don't have problem with shani as its a gold card & her ability is limited to one card only. No proble with RElite too as they have condition & we can counter it before it triggers but yes I have a problem with Henselt & Promote for sure.

3 and 5 are a no go.

Upgrading cards makes the game come closer to pay to win and that is not something anyone would want. It makes getting competitive deck an absolute nightmare for anyone who plays free as they will not just need the standard version of a card to be effective, no they will need the premium version, which is twice as expensive to craft and far more rare to get in a pack. They also cannot gain any scrap from throwing away unused cards anymore as those will be needed for the upgrade system, further setting them behind.

It also facilitates power creep without even adding new cards. Any new cards will have to balanced against the fully upgraded version, which either results in cards that are far more powerful than the earlier cards once fully upgraded or cards that are only slightly better/on par with the old ones once fully upgraded. The later would take any excitement out of a new set of cards faster than you can say Gwent, because it would mean that new cards you get are weaker than what you got until you upgrade them, they would not even be on par with those cards because they are unupgraded. So you are sitting with a bunch of cool new cards, but using them would make your deck statistically weaker.

Then there is also the problem of balancing for existing faction abilities. Radovid would also need to become stronger or his power becomes useless, especially in case of the premiums. A +2 premium Villentrettenmerth is now outside his range.

But above all this would kill the game for any free to play players and in turn kill the game. Not only would the amount of resources needed to make a decent deck skyrocket, what with the extra scrap to craft premium, scrap you cannot get from your bronze cards because you need them to upgrade as well. The new players would also smash their faces against decks which uses full premium and upgraded units with even less of a chance of winning and likely leave quickly.

Gwent does need something to keep the interest, but it need not be an upgrade system of any kind. Hearthstone does not have that, using rotating tavern brawls and well spread out adventures and card expansions to keep it fresh. And that is where one should look, events in game, not some arbitrary upgrade system that hurts anyone that does not throw money at the game to an extreme degree.

TH3WITCH3R;n7406390 said:
I have no idea why many player here only thinking from 1 side [ from opp. side ]
No no no, I understand that you meant that damaging cards would be upgradable as well, but either way it would be inconsistent for both you and your opponent in terms of what to expect. Right now you only have to worry if your opponent has a specific card or not, but with this system you'll have to also worry about card's upgarde level. Kinda kills the ability to do your math before deciding to pass, for example. Especially against ambush cards. This also will disbalance self-damaging cards like Vrihedd Sappers.

And I have to agree with TriforceDragon about Radovid and premium cards. Right now when you see enemy's Bloody Baron who spawns Botchling, it's almost obligatory to use Radovid to prevent demoting him for ressurecting in next rounds. Once again, yes, premium Radovid would probably be able to deal with it, but it's still would be inconsistent.

TriforceDragon;n7406460 said:
3 and 5 are a no go.

Upgrading cards makes the game come closer to pay to win and that is not something anyone would want. It makes getting competitive deck an absolute nightmare for anyone who plays free as they will not just need the standard version of a card to be effective, no they will need the premium version, which is twice as expensive to craft and far more rare to get in a pack. They also cannot gain any scrap from throwing away unused cards anymore as those will be needed for the upgrade system, further setting them behind.

I am a free player too. I never buy single keg or not going to buy in future too. Indirectly the current gwent is not different as you buy kegs even though you don't find premiums you are getting enough scarps by unwanted cards so I don't see much difference current gwent & the suggestion i posted. About keeping cards as I said it's going to work for all players & not for you only so everyone has to decide what to keep & what not.

It also facilitates power creep without even adding new cards. Any new cards will have to balanced against the fully upgraded version, which either results in cards that are far more powerful than the earlier cards once fully upgraded or cards that are only slightly better/on par with the old ones once fully upgraded. The later would take any excitement out of a new set of cards faster than you can say Gwent, because it would mean that new cards you get are weaker than what you got until you upgrade them, they would not even be on par with those cards because they are unupgraded. So you are sitting with a bunch of cool new cards, but using them would make your deck statistically weaker.

If you read my post properly then you will understand that there is a limit on upgrade. It's not like your bronze card is going to have 100+ base strength. It's like if your bronze is having 5 base strength then you can upgrade it till may be say 7/8 strength only & that's going to happen very slowly as it going to requires many same cards. It's possible for cdpr to add fully upgrade card as a reward too.

Then there is also the problem of balancing for existing faction abilities. Radovid would also need to become stronger or his power becomes useless, especially in case of the premiums. A +2 premium Villentrettenmerth is now outside his range.

Ohh really then what your are going to say about NR +2 for gold ability which renders other faction gold damage cards useless? & I suggested green health which you can reset with dbomb as well I suggested premium cards as a reward so it's not like every other player going to have it. Try to understand first.

But above all this would kill the game for any free to play players and in turn kill the game. Not only would the amount of resources needed to make a decent deck skyrocket, what with the extra scrap to craft premium, scrap you cannot get from your bronze cards because you need them to upgrade as well. The new players would also smash their faces against decks which uses full premium and upgraded units with even less of a chance of winning and likely leave quickly.

I just want to say here that you are overreacting that's all. Are you want to craft all premiums in one day or what? as I know getting premiums in current gwent is very easy & once you get it the game is just becomes a timepass thing as there i no challenge or excitement.

Gwent does need something to keep the interest, but it need not be an upgrade system of any kind. Hearthstone does not have that, using rotating tavern brawls and well spread out adventures and card expansions to keep it fresh. And that is where one should look, events in game, not some arbitrary upgrade system that hurts anyone that does not throw money at the game to an extreme degree.

Don't want to compare gwent with any other game.. Thanks.

NlelithZ44;n7406580 said:
No no no, I understand that you meant that damaging cards would be upgradable as well, but either way it would be inconsistent for both you and your opponent in terms of what to expect. Right now you only have to worry if your opponent has a specific card or not, but with this system you'll have to also worry about card's upgarde level. Kinda kills the ability to do your math before deciding to pass, for example. Especially against ambush cards. This also will disbalance self-damaging cards like Vrihedd Sappers.

Hmm good point you mention there about math. Yes that one problem I can accept but still as I said it's going to be from both side hahahaha

Anyways what I posted is just a suggestion & main intention is to make gwent more interesting with good everyday challenges for good rewards.

If any one have better suggestion then please share those.... Thanks.

Faction daily is a good idea.

the rest, is IMO not.

"NR abuse" is not abuse, it's the way NR work, golding card, rezing. the all faction is work around that, you clearly dont like it, but it's not a real balance issue. PFI is not an issue either. in the top rank no one plays it, simply because it's bad and loose against better deck.

demote was added as a neutral card, shroom added as neutral, so faction specific ability added to neutral (shieldsmith / kadweni sergent) resulted in what you call abuse, because combined with other faction it could be very powerfull, i'm not sure it's the way to go. i already fear the SCO player using promote, or the promoted skirmicher at 20 str.

making premium better than normal card is not the way to go too, it's a step in the Pay to win direction that i really dont llike, premium are purely cosmetic, and that's perfect.

making upgradable card will make the balance even more complicated, ill advised and counter productive, and again it give an advantage even small to someone that pay more. actually the only advantage to paying is have the card faster, not having the card stronger. that's good.

my2cent.

So basically what you are suggesting is making the game so that the players who play 8 hours every day and have nothing else to do will get all the premium cards and all their cards upgraded as soon as they can, while people who want to play casually can never beat them because they have just the basic cards. Your suggestion would easily turn the game into such that you have to play either all the time or not at all. What I liked about Gwent as soon as I started playing it was that it is really made for casual players. The more you play daily, the fewer rewards you get. Anyway, let's go kill that concept, right?
From me it's a big NO.

muetdhivers;n7408420 said:
demote was added as a neutral card, shroom added as neutral, so faction specific ability added to neutral (shieldsmith / kadweni sergent) resulted in what you call abuse, because combined with other faction it could be very powerfull, i'm not sure it's the way to go. i already fear the SCO player using promote, or the promoted skirmicher at 20 str.

Try to read.... I said make it silver & limited to one card only so that having DShackles is going to have more meaning.

making premium better than normal card is not the way to go too, it's a step in the Pay to win direction that i really dont llike, premium are purely cosmetic, and that's perfect.

Try to read....I said don't add premium cards in keg but rather give it as a reward & off course you can't pay for rewards. Even I suggested same thing for legendary card too.

making upgradable card will make the balance even more complicated, ill advised and counter productive, and again it give an advantage even small to someone that pay more. actually the only advantage to paying is have the card faster, not having the card stronger. that's good.

my2cent.

Try to read....Those who are paying defiantly going to have advantage in any way add upgrade system or not & as I said there should be a limit on upgrade & you can upgrade the card only for 2/3+ strength & not more then that.

Knightlon;n7408470 said:
So basically what you are suggesting is making the game so that the players who play 8 hours every day and have nothing else to do will get all the premium cards and all their cards upgraded as soon as they can, while people who want to play casually can never beat them because they have just the basic cards. Your suggestion would easily turn the game into such that you have to play either all the time or not at all. What I liked about Gwent as soon as I started playing it was that it is really made for casual players. The more you play daily, the fewer rewards you get. Anyway, let's go kill that concept, right?
From me it's a big NO.

If you are playing casually then why you care about high lvl players? as I am sure you are going to find many casual players to play with or just play with your friends or UI.. simple.

Ok so, even not pay to win. Let's make it "play 8 hours a day to win". Great. Plus developers don't need the money from buying kegs, right?

Knightlon;n7408800 said:
Ok so, even not pay to win. Let's make it "play 8 hours a day to win". Great. Plus developers don't need the money from buying kegs, right?

btw where i said that? & how you are going to earn more cards by playing more? as daily rewards are limited as par i know. Kindly explain please.

& you are the one who's saying it's good for casual gamers so how developers going to get money from that hahaha :/

Last edited:
The only way you suggest is through getting tons of the cards to upgrade and tons of scraps to get the premium ones, which leads to hordes of scraps required. The only way to get scraps is from milling or rewards. If you play a lot daily, the rewards are smaller and smaller, but they still are.
The way it is now is that with quite some scraps, you can make a really powerful deck. With a lot of scraps, you can make many really powerful decks. With card upgrades and stuff, it would take a long time to make even one powerful deck.
The original Gwent was like this: there just were cards that were simply better than others - you had a 4 strength melee and a 6 strength melee for instance. What is the point of using the 4 ones, when you already have (enough of) the 6 ones. Same goes for your suggestion. Why would you play a lesser grade of that card if you can have a better one?
Yes, there definitely are powerful cards now - mostly legendary rarity. But it's limited and you usually need maximally 3-4 of them in one deck. But now you would have to upgrade all the cards??
I am just trying to tell you that your idea is bad for a balanced open multiplayer game.

TH3WITCH3R;n7408770 said:
If you are playing casually then why you care about high lvl players? as I am sure you are going to find many casual players to play with or just play with your friends or UI.. simple.

You are assuming that no casual person will ever put money towards getting a top tier deck and then play with it.

Because people will and those casual people will completely wreck anyone who has not put that money down because the ideas you are proposing heavily favors pay to win strategies. Even at best a casual person will have to dedicate all their resources to one single deck type, just to have even a slight chance, which will limit diversity in the players.

And in case you dont think "casuals" will go for the absolute best deck out there and play "casual" with it. Look at Hearthstone, go to the casual list and people will show up with the latest flavor of the month all the time.

Also I think we are well aware that you dont intend the upgrade system to be limitless, but let us say, as you suggested that it takes 20-25 bronze cards to upgrade a card. You need to upgrade 3 copies, so that is 60-75 bronze cards. That is 1800-2250 scrap or 2-2,5 legendary cards just to get three bronze cards upgraded once. If you can upgrade multiple times, you can multiply that with the number of upgrades.

It is a completely ludicruos amount of resources needed and even 2-3 power increases will break certain cards completely. And no, "everyone can get it" is not a proper solution because of the insane amount of resources needed.

I have 3 decent decks as a free to play player and I am level 18. Under your ideas I doubt I would even have 1 fully upgraded deck.

Top Bottom