Opinions on Making Mardroeme Silver

+
Opinions on Making Mardroeme Silver

Mardroeme is causing a lot of really cool 4 STR silver cards to be completely useless right now due to the fact that everyone is required to run 2-3 Mardroeme in any deck to be competitive at the moment. I think making this card silver would be a fair approach due to its innate versatility and strength. I know I'd personally feel better seeing my Ocvist or Malena deleted from the game by another silver card, rather than a bronze that the opponent has 2 more of. Limiting Mardroeme to a single card per deck would allow for a lot more deck diversity, which is never a bad thing in my mind. In addition, Mardroeme has one of the highest (if not the highest by far) total STR impacts on the entire game from round to round than any other bronze card and most of the current silver cards. What are your guys' thoughts on this?

i think making it silver would be fair.and if then it is too weak they can increase the values to 5 base strength.as it is now its just too strong,and too spammable.

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
Considering a lot of cards are already competing for a silver slot, I don't think Mardroeme will be worth it (even with 5 base strength).

Maybe it would be better to just have all units move to the graveyard instead of being permanently banished. Or at least make silver units immune to banish.

I'm sure that everybody agree on the fact that mardroeme is the card that changed the most the game from last patch.
not having 2 or 3 mardroeme in a deck is just bad for most of the deck, you need it to counter some play, you can use it to boost another card etc.

i'm not sur making it silver is "the" solution, but i'm sure that this card or the way his interaction with other work need some adjusting / change.

i think it's currently the most played card, but i dont have any real number, CDPR guy could tell us if it's true or not.

I hate the card.
I'm not exaggerating, I hate it with passion.
Not going to develop this cause is not the place, so I'll focus on the subject.

I'd love to see the card become Silver.
The effects will, of course, have to be augmented. With +5/-5 as the minimum and +6/-6 as the maximum.
I understand how the card works and I think I understand what the devs were trying to create, but they made the ''mistake'' of giving the card the power to banish other cards. And even more, it's the only card with that ability right now (Not counting Ghoul, Gravehag, etc, etc).
That alone is incredibly powerful.
And it renders obsolete a good amount of cards.
There are a few that are worth taking the risk, like KoB, Priscilla, Roach and Ocvist, but that's it.

If the card becomes silver, it will still be able to banish many cards, yes, but it will be a ''silver for silver'' trade. And the card would become something that the players need to think about instead of just spamming it.

The main problems with Mardroeme are when it's used with graveyard recycling and copying of units.
The first can be solved by banishing the target of Mardroeme when it leaves play.
The second can be solved by making the target of Mardroeme silver.

gnarbrag;n7417820 said:
doesnt solve the issue of mardroeme play.

I play SCO brouver Hoog / ciri dash / roach, i often manage to play ciri dash each round, and end with a roach at 15 on last turn, sometime 19.
roach or olgier are already silver, morvark too, changing the target to silver only prevent PFI, and i love playing against PFI, it's a freewin as SCO.

it's a nice idea, but i dont think it solve "mardroeme issue".

bannishing the target of mardroeme when leave play, why not, but then mardroeme will only be used as a debuff nobody will want to banish it's own unit. this totally kill mardroeme current use and reduce it to "a thunder with 4 str that banish".

i'm sure a solution exist, but i'm not sure it's this one if you want to keep the card, this or removing the card is almost the same.

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
gnarbrag;n7417820 said:
The first can be solved by banishing the target of Mardroeme when it leaves play

That would add a whole array of other problems, which makes people stop using Mardroeme.

gnarbrag;n7417820 said:

Silver units can still be (easily) resurrected.

Knightlon;n7418070 said:
Guys? Anyone noticed my comment?

Ha, I'm sure most people did.

Reducing it to +3/-3 seems ok to me.
I think the card would still be ''good'', although I don't know how good.

+2/-2 is too little, the card needs more to be playable.

Making it silver would probably require it to be -4/+4 if not better (otherwise having this card in your deck might not pay off). And turning it silver could make countering PFI more difficult because the likelihood of drawing this card youself is lower. I'm not a fan of that.

I still think the problem is mainly with PFI, because those are no typical units (units that automatically double IMO should only gain 50% from Mardoeme).

I dont think it should be changed to silver... that being said, it could be reduces to 3/3 buff/debuff just to stop the general whining about the card. Making it silver would straight up kill the card.

What you guys have to understand about silver cards is that, unless it is a really good card , its gonna straight up killed. Why? Because there are a lot of other good silver cards that you will have to remove to include a not so good one on its place.

Reducing its strength to 2 or 3 would greatly reduce its utility and i doubt people would use more than one or two copies per deck (if used at all).

devivre;n7418340 said:
And turning it silver could make countering PFI more difficult because the likelihood of drawing this card youself is lower

But on the bright side, that means that the higher the PFI could get would be 9 (3+6) which is much more manageable than 11 or even 15.
And drawing an specific card... is not THAT hard for most decks.
ST can draw any special without much problem.
NR has Priscilla and some other ways to thin their deck.
And SK can use spies to try and draw the Mardroeme, which is what they already do.

The only faction with problems to draw an specific card would be Monsters, but they have that problem already, although they don't care, since they usually have weather, which can deal with PFI, or big monster, which can overpower them.

It also means the opponent would have a harder time getting Mardroeme, just like you.
devivre;n7418340 said:
still think the problem is mainly with PFI,
But you can't force that. If you use Mardroeme in a Poor infantry and don't copy/revive it, it means you are losing value. A lot of value.
It would be weird to say ''This card has X effect, except when used in Y card''

I think it may be better to just make it debuff or buff for 4. Instead of modifying base strength.
That would solve all the issues I think, while still being able to be a bronze card.

Changing it to silver would just kill the card, and reducing the values would do the same.

What do you guys think?

+2 or +3, on card that stay on the field or come back or duplicate, it still good.

i'm waiting for the next patch to see what they change i trust them to do something good.

I agree that +3/-3 is probably the best solution based on current evidence. See how that goes with the next patch and if more than that is needed. I think a small tweak like that is appropriate rather than something drastic, like making it silver.

I completly disagree with the need of nerfing this card. Only thing that needs to be changed is the specific interaction between Maerdrome and PFI - perhaps just making the copy fleeing would solve the problem (still strong deck, but not as strong). Once PFI stops being OP, people will stop playing Maerdrome in every deck. They are necessary to play vs. Cheese, but unless you have a reason to play them (e.g. Olgierd) drawing them feels terrible. Playing lame 4 str swings is straight way to lose games. Even at its best they are 12 str swing, which is OK, when you take into account being super-terrible topdeck and more OP cards.

Agree with the prevailing opinion that making this card silver would simply nerf it to oblivion.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the card itself IMHO - the ability to modify base strength is a nice and interesting effect - it's that effect in combo with the PFI is probably OP (and certainly bloody boring to see the same deck time after time!)

Think the best solution I've seen is to spread the buff if it's applied to units like PFI that spawn copies on resurrect, but that might be awkward to implement?

Top Bottom