Monster RNG

+
Monster RNG

I'm sure something about this has been brought up before but can we at least get the monster faction ability RNG to stop picking foglets which gets destroyed and leaves you with nothing in the next patch please?

This ability also needs some kind of bottom end or weighting factor to beef it up to be as good as the other factions abilities. Maybe weighting it to select from the top half in power? That way it isn't a guaranteed pick your biggest guy but it also won't pick your smallest all the time. Right now it seems to frequently select the weakest. Sometimes you get lucky and get the big guy but more often than not it picks the smallest unit you have available. Often that is foglets and just turns into a fat zero useless faction "advantage" while the other side actually benefits from theirs.

Yeah, build a deck without 1-3 strength units, buff them a lot, and save one of the strongest in the end of the round? No, thanks. Just throw low strength units away from your deck, if you don't want them to stay on board in the end of the round. Or don't play them in the first two rounds.

Last edited:
NlelithZ44;n7457670 said:
Yeah, build a deck without 1-3 strength units, buff them a lot, and save one of the strongest in the end of the round? No, thanks. Just throw low strength units away from your deck, if you don't want them to stay on board in the end of the round. Or don't play them in the first two rounds.

That wasn't what i said

Guest 3973540

Actually, the discussion makes a lot of sense. As was mentioned by someone smart in another thread, Monsters' passive ability is the weakest of all 4 factions in terms of synergy with the various mechanics available to the faction.
NR's passive (+2 gold) works excellent with various promoting mechanics available to NR.
ST's passive (choose who goes first) is solid overall, and complements well their card advantage mechanics and control via replay.
SK's passive (+1 to base str of all units each round) enhances their graveyard preparation in a discard&rez deck (probably the most playable SK deck anyway).

Meanwhile, Monsters have strong weather and breeding mechanics. NEITHER has synergy with their passive; to the contrary, the mechanics undermine the utility of their passive ability.
Self-devouring may be OK with the passive but is either countered too easily or (with a smart use of gold Kayran) has nothing to do with the passive.

I, too, believe this should be improved, somehow.

I think monsters generally need a huge rework, at the moment they have the worst leaders ( Ge'els is completely off, Eredin is just a boring fat body, not a deck-building leader, Dagon is OK, but still worse than NR leaders ). They also have the worst passive for sure, often it gives you zero or very few value. Moreover monsters are also the worst in terms of card advantage and cards draw from the deck.

I agree - Monster needs some work. Along with tweaking some weather abilities.
Ge'els has a very nice feature - but it should be possible to let the buffed units stay - and not vanish ( especially the fog rows ) Let say Ge'els buffs the foglets and 3 stay on the row. I wouldn't allow to let stay 6 if used Nekker Warrior on it.

Eredin should be able to make a shield for units in this round.

Dagon is good as he is imo.

About the Weather Cards - maybe a limited number - lets say 3 - to play incl. Dagon's ability. So the weather spamming isn't possible anymore

Truth is that Ge'els's, breeder and foglets decks don't really work too well with the passive. Cards like Golems and elementas are even contrary to it.

I think too that monter need some rework / love from the dev, but weather limited to a certain number ? you just kill the last thing monster have for them.
weather is fine, every deck now use 3 clear sky and or have way to deal with it.

I must deny the point, that Monster ability is bad. Even with low strengh units you can use it right, just play one strong unit in first round (eridin for example) and pass. Thats could give you a card advandage, if your opponent want to get this easy round and you keep this strength. After that you can play your lowstrength tactic (breeder for example) and will also keep one buffed at the field. I start my 3 round mostly with 10+ strength because of this ability and breeder (if my opponent dont destroy me)

Foglets have this one disadcantage to counterpart the fractionability but the advandage you get them back easily.

Fimbulthrym;n7459550 said:
I must deny the point, that Monster ability is bad. Even with low strengh units you can use it right, just play one strong unit in first round (eridin for example) and pass. Thats could give you a card advandage, if your opponent want to get this easy round and you keep this strength. After that you can play your lowstrength tactic (breeder for example) and will also keep one buffed at the field. I start my 3 round mostly with 10+ strength because of this ability and breeder (if my opponent dont destroy me)

Foglets have this one disadcantage to counterpart the fractionability but the advandage you get them back easily.

If you pass first round with monsters like this its pretty much instant defeat against Skellige or Scoia....guess you are playing on a really low rang\lvl.

The RNG passive is just the tip of the iceberg. Monsters need a better niche to fill. The other factions feel very focused with what they do well, where most monster decks are running silver Witchers to cover up for the terrible silver monster cards. I really like the direction they went with the Devouring archetype, but making copies of Nekkers gums up the deck and they lose the consistency that ST, NR, and SK get through thinning their decks.

Muster effects, and breeding need to be a bigger focus for monsters. The weakness right now is that these effects are limited to one row. Lacerate, weather, and GIgni decimate these cards now, and a multi-row muster would make these decks a lot better.

I also want something that feels more like a monsters nest. Monster nests should be lower 3-6 strength units (Specific to each small breedable monster) that for each turn they survive they pull another breedable card from the deck. This way the focus is more on destroying monster nests when playing versus them. This would finally give monsters a valid way to thin their decks, that would be familiar to anyone who has experienced the witcher universe.

Top Bottom