Congratulations to CDP

+
Congratulations to CDP

There are zillions of topics on the theme 'X is OP'. There are even topics like 'one deck is dominating the game' (though people do not seem to be able to agree, which deck it is...). I disagree.

I would like to congratulate the developers on creating a well balanced game. With the exception of the monster faction (which needs some love at the moment) all the factions are in equilibrium (some minor tweaks might still help, of course). And not even 'A beats B beats C beats A' equilibrium - each faction can beat standard decks of every other faction, if that's the goal you make while creating your deck. Moreover, all the factions play very differently (even NR resurrection is not at all similar to SK resurrection - one is kind of a heavy-hitting but blunt instrument, the other brings back exactly the right critter to make the most effect), also inside each faction there are several decks that play very differently again. Sure, more is always better, so some of the decks that are subpar at the moment (like dwarven deck, monster weather, Skellige self-wound) could be strengthened a bit. Nevertheless - bloody good job, guys.

I really look forward to the Nilfgaard faction, hoping that it will be also as good as (but very much different from) the others.

Well said Sir / Madam (delete as appropriate).

I think a lot of people are forgetting that Gwent is still in closed beta, frankly I'm impressed that such a 'stats-heavy' game is even playable at this stage of development, never mind actually a lot of fun into the bargain. I've played other so-called beta versions that were bug-ridden, unbalanced messes.

Of course there are plenty of balance issues to address (for example Monsters as OP mentions) but that's what beta is for after all.

So I would like to add my congrats to the devs for the efforts thus far, I'm looking forward to further patches, Nilfgaard, and of course the actual release!

this is the best post in the forums i have seen in weeks.its true that some decks may have higher win percentages than others,but that is to be expected in a card game.absolute balance is a utopian concept and cant be achieved,CDPR's job is to get as close as possible to that cocnept.

I partly agree with you. Gwent is (and has always been) about card advantage. 4 out of 5 matches are decided by who gets to play last (especially if you are playing ST). As you have mentioned Monsters are relatively weak compared to other decks. However I wouldnt say other decks are balanced (This gets more clear if you look at ranked, especially the top tiers).

I'm not sure what gave you the impression that people arent sure what decks are op and what not but from what I've seen so far (ingame and forums) NR and ST are too strong at the moment. Both have bronze cards that SK and especially Monsters cant compete with and both factions have stronger synergies than the other two. Its true that people are still argueing what cards in particular need changes but overall I think most people agree that ST/NR are too strong and Monsters are too weak at the moment (some also say SK need more diversity).

Its still the Closed Beta so I have faith in the devs but I really hope they take care of all the issues until release (Monsters have been a mess since day 1 tbh)

Last edited:
Monsters are weak because everyone is running First Light. And ST is strong for the same reason plus elven mercenary & commando synergy.

First Light definitely needs to change. Currently there's no reason not to run it in every deck.

Best Post sinced I signed in to Forum.
The Dev's did already a amazing and very good job. It is still BETA - but some just forget that. Also the whole artwork is a wonderful eyecatcher and so Witcher worthy :readytofight:

I have thought many times about creating this thread myself(but i'm lazy as ~€#@), so i have to agree with you. Even though there are some cards and mechanics that are unbalanced, these are minor in my opinion and i consider the game to be extremely well balanced, especially considering we are still in closed beta. So, congratulations to OP and devs.
If i had to mention something that's not too balanced would be hero and faction abilities, but i'll probably create a topic to get different points of view on these matters soon.

Strollin;n7523710 said:
I partly agree with you. Gwent is (and has always been) about card advantage. 4 out of 5 matches are decided by who gets to play last (especially if you are playing ST). As you have mentioned Monsters are relatively weak compared to other decks. However I wouldnt say other decks are balanced (This gets more clear if you look at ranked, especially the top tiers).
I agree on CA being the biggest issue currently and that's probably monster's bane at this moment, due their lack of CA generators compared to other factions. That being said, a lot of people talk about monsters, but forget to mention SK lack of viable competitive decks. As a player who has extensively played all kind of Skellige decks, i can tell you a couple things. If you have played at higher ranks you have probably noticed that the few top ranked SK players are all playing Longships. This is directly related to 2 cards that need adjustments(and this is one of the biggest reasons for me to be convinced of it), these are Mardroeme and Aard. Mardroeme has pretty much killed Queenguards decks by itself, making buffing Cerys to levels that make her worthwhile pretty hard, while Aard has hit both Queenguards and Skirmishers just as hard.
I'm talking about Skellige because i understand all their decks, choices and mechanics perfectly fine after playing them so much, but my point is, apart from the obvious CA issue, many other issues could be fixed with really minor tweaks to a few cards(and the addition of new cards) and i'm pretty sure this same problem i've noticed with SK, could be applied to a lot of decks of other factions.

TheWalkingHawking;n7524260 said:
I agree on CA being the biggest issue currently and that's probably monster's bane at this moment, due their lack of CA generators compared to other factions. That being said, a lot of people talk about monsters, but forget to mention SK lack of viable competitive decks. As a player who has extensively played all kind of Skellige decks, i can tell you a couple things. If you have played at higher ranks you have probably noticed that the few top ranked SK players are all playing Longships. This is directly related to 2 cards that need adjustments(and this is one of the biggest reasons for me to be convinced of it), these are Mardroeme and Aard. Mardroeme has pretty much killed Queenguards decks by itself, making buffing Cerys to levels that make her worthwhile pretty hard, while Aard has hit both Queenguards and Skirmishers just as hard. I'm talking about Skellige because i understand all their decks, choices and mechanics perfectly fine after playing them so much, but my point is, apart from the obvious CA issue, many other issues could be fixed with really minor tweaks to a few cards(and the addition of new cards) and i'm pretty sure this same problem i've noticed with SK, could be applied to a lot of decks of other factions.

Either way, I think NR, ST and Monsters need some changes. It cant be right if they can pull endless bronze cards that sometimes even give them 20 strength or more (due to endless cycles) AND counter all weather effects and stuff with card advantage while Monsters cant really pull out anything against that. I think that many things you said about Skellige decks would be fixed if the other decks (and some cards in particular like Mardroeme) were balanced first.

Strollin;n7524460 said:
Either way, I think NR, ST and Monsters need some changes. It cant be right if they can pull endless bronze cards that sometimes even give them 20 strength or more (due to endless cycles) AND counter all weather effects and stuff with card advantage while Monsters cant really pull out anything against that. I think that many things you said about Skellige decks would be fixed if the other decks (and some cards in particular like Mardroeme) were balanced first.

Yeah, i think the same, i just wonder what will be the cause of our headaches after they fix that xD

This was an origin congratulation and Thank You Dev's thread. But it tunrs out to another complain and plz nerf all to the grounbd thread :hmm:

Yes, please, everyone... Let's keep this thread dedicated to congrats and thank yous :)

Faction specific details and/or suggestions can be discussed in Tactician's Corner or in other threads.

Thank you.

I learned back in the day that when you present an idea or show something creative to people and they respond with meaningful critiques (please balance X) with praise mixed in, that meant that your idea was legit.

The fact that the community is already so invested into the game must be such a joy for the creators and I'm truly grateful to be able to play in the beta. It's the first and only game I've invested time into beta testing but also the only one where I really wanted too after hearing the rumors about a Gwent standalone coming out.

The feeling of Gwent and it's chess like strategy gameplay is really amazing. If they can get things even more balanced and add more options for players that will only add to the epic achievement this game is already set up to have. I can honestly say I'm jealous of the Gwent team as I would love to work at a company that was building such a fun and exciting product.

Congrats!!

wad3inthewater;n7533920 said:
I learned back in the day that when you present an idea or show something creative to people and they respond with meaningful critiques (please balance X) with praise mixed in, that meant that your idea was legit.

If you are refering to when people tend to only see the bad things and ignore the good stuff thats kinda true BUT
If we flood the forums with things they did right and how great the game is every day I doubt it will help the devs to improve the game.
Gwent - for being so "early" in the Beta - is already really fleshed out and the artwork is just outstanding but there are still things that need to be discussed and thats what the purpose is of this forum :p
(I'm not saying its bad to tell the devs what they did right tho but we shouldnt leave it to that :p)

Strollin;n7534290 said:
If you are refering to when people tend to only see the bad things and ignore the good stuff thats kinda true BUT
If we flood the forums with things they did right and how great the game is every day I doubt it will help the devs to improve the game.
Gwent - for being so "early" in the Beta - is already really fleshed out and the artwork is just outstanding but there are still things that need to be discussed and thats what the purpose is of this forum :p
(I'm not saying its bad to tell the devs what they did right tho but we shouldnt leave it to that :p)

Actually we are saying the same thing. What I meant is that when you share something with people and they say things about it like: "why don't you improve this" or "I like this but this could be better" then thats a good thing since it means that people are engaged in your work.

If you share something and everyone is like "thats nice, good job!" without any other feedback, or worse they say nothing at all then it means they aren't as engaged or invested in your idea. For games this is especially true since it's interactive, it's art that you immerse yourself into. So everyone wanting the devs to improve the game is the greatest gift to them since it means people actually care about the success of the game.

Top Bottom