I'm a bit confused [Discarding after time runs out]

+
I'm a bit confused [Discarding after time runs out]

So I noticed if you take the full amount of time on your turn and then still don't play anything it discards a card. The reason I'm confused is because why do you have to wait for the turn to end for this to happen? Maybe I'm missing something but you should be able to click something or do something as to not make you're opponent wait. Either way I can see this as a strategy.

Scizofrenic_Guy;n7546560 said:
Either way I can see this as a strategy.

That's where you are wrong. It shouldn't be a strategic decision, but always feels like a penalty, even though in certain situations it's not. I blame the devs for the crappy implementation. You shouldn't discard a card at all, but lose the round instantly, if it were up to me.

Just play a card or pass. The discard is punishment but i hope they replace it with temp bans of several hours instead.

I understand your confusion, but i dont think there shall be a button for it. Actually, i believe that a time out on turn shall simply give you a lost round straight away. Heres a situation: you're loosing 1-0, you have a unit on the board, epidemic and bekkers twisted mirror in hand, its your turn. You know opponent have 1 card, and thats a stronger unit. If it was checkers - well, you've lost, no more valid turns. However the discard on timeout doesnt pass the round for you, as so you can wait for discard and have a 50/50 chance of winning the round.
I know such situation is extremely unlikely, but i believe i had something akin with weather and dimeritium bomb. Untill you mentioned it, i didnt realize that mechanic could be abused. But thats not a reason to make it more available. If anything - its reason to remove it completely.

isnadtochiev;n7546850 said:
I understand your confusion, but i dont think there shall be a button for it. Actually, i believe that a time out on turn shall simply give you a lost round straight away. Heres a situation: you're loosing 1-0, you have a unit on the board, epidemic and bekkers twisted mirror in hand, its your turn. You know opponent have 1 card, and thats a stronger unit. If it was checkers - well, you've lost, no more valid turns. However the discard on timeout doesnt pass the round for you, as so you can wait for discard and have a 50/50 chance of winning the round.
I know such situation is extremely unlikely, but i believe i had something akin with weather and dimeritium bomb. Untill you mentioned it, i didnt realize that mechanic could be abused. But thats not a reason to make it more available. If anything - its reason to remove it completely.

I thank you for the explanation however I know how it works. See I just started playing the beta yesterday. I saw someone timeout and then discard a card and I noticed it did not make them pass. I then thought it looked like a punishment for running the timer at first. Then I remembered there are cards that use a discard /graveyard mechanic and not to mention it did not make you pass. I then saw strategic value in it.

My thought then was that it was a mechanic that was not finished you know with the beta and all. So before this post I did try in a few of my games as a strategy not knowing it was suppose to be a punishment. The fact is it ended up winning me a good number of those games. My point here is maybe it could be reworked a little bit to become another mechanic.

Its something to think about.

Last edited:
It can be beneficial to discard a card rather than play it, but it's really rare since you don't control what gets discarded. If someone for some reason prefers discarding rahter than playing, they should be able todo it without wasting everyone's time.
I tend to agree that losing the round or game, or forcing to pass, would probably be better.

DirkAustin;n7546750 said:
Just play a card or pass. The discard is punishment but i hope they replace it with temp bans of several hours instead.

I've actually won two rounds by playing smart and letting the 'discard' work in my favour. I Johnny'd a Scorch and had two left in my hand in the last round, my opponent checked the graveyard to see a scorch, not knowing Johnny gave me a double.

I don't get the big deal with roping in this game, there's so much more to check over and read (compared to HearthStone for example) and CDPR have even reduced the timer a couple of patches ago. If you can't hack it don't play.

Last edited:
DirkAustin;n7546750 said:
The discard is punishment but i hope they replace it with temp bans of several hours instead.

That would be way too harsh. What if like, you're cat caught on fire or something? Sure, you're opponent will have to wait like 5 rounds for the discards to finish, but it's still a win for them. Also, the timer gets super fast after the first discard; it's like 20 seconds for the next discards.

I think an automatic pass is the most fair punishment. Automatic loss would be too harsh if someone just has to step away for a second.

Last edited:
Okay everyone, time to calm down. Few posts deleted.

Please remember to keep your comments constructive and civilized. Help each other to understand your points instead of blaming and name calling. Be polite, be nice, behave. Thank you. Everyone can have their opinions, but everyone also has to respect different opinions. Give feedback, make suggestions, share your thoughts. This game is in beta and all feedback is welcome, as long as it has been given politely.

Miatrix;n7549990 said:
That would be way too harsh. What if like, you're cat caught on fire or something? Sure, you're opponent will have to wait like 5 rounds for the discards to finish, but it's still a win for them. Also, the timer gets super fast after the first discard; it's like 20 seconds for the next discards.

I think an automatic pass is the most fair punishment. Automatic loss would be too harsh if someone just has to step away for a second.

Then remove the discard. Keep the timer.

I only ran into this situation once, and I didn't wanted to make my opponent wait, but I had to. It went like this: Scorch (last card) in hand, my turn, Ocvist on the field, coming back next round, opponent has 1 card in hand. Strongest NG unit on field is mine. If I pass: Ocvist comes back but can't play it again. If I play Scorch: instant defeat. Solution: waiting for Scorch to be discarded, Opponent plays his last card, my turn, Ocvist does damage, comes back to my hand, I play it again and win.
Maybe instant loss could be the answer, if someone does not play a card in his turn. Especially when I think of one particular game between me and some monster deck playing dude who in the 2nd round discarded 4-5 cards (maybe he was afk), and in the 3rd round beat the sh*t out of me :D

Top Bottom