Observations regarding the ladder and MMR from a level 14 2400+ mmr

+
Observations regarding the ladder and MMR from a level 14 2400+ mmr

I was invited to the closed beta at the beginning of last week. To show support for a great company, I purchased 40 kegs immediately and leveled to 10. Upon reaching 10, I entered ranked mode and the game put me at a rating of 700 based on my casual win/loss record. In the last few days, my climb has been very successful with a monster deck that uses no weather or nests. It is built around stealing cards from my opponent's graveyard as a means of control. This is very dependent on card draw of course, but using the incredibly overpowered First Light card, I've managed to find a way to almost always have some form of GY control.

If you're wondering how I put together a deck that can handle all the different archetypes, I've used my scraps wisely to craft yellow and purples I needed for my 26 card deck. I did not have insane luck with my kegs. I just thought everything out carefully after playing casual for 10 levels.

Here are some observations on my climb from 700 to 2500:

1. The current meta is dependent on pulling cards from graveyards or using insane combo chains to pull cards from your deck(I'm looking at you Scoia'tel)

2. There is very little difference in the meta from rating 1400 to 2500.The decks are mostly the same. (The plays and calculations are tighter at the higher ranks but the cards are the same) There are a few exceptions to this rule prior to 2k mmr and good on ya Henselt players. Keep trying! Weather monster, Shani Foltest, Buff/Res Longships Skellige and the very difficult to manage "I'm gonna draw every special card from my deck" Francesca/Eithne all seem to be at the top of the totem pole.

3. Shani is the best gold card in the game, hands down. It needs a tweak. Caretaker is a good comparison. Why is the Monsters version of Shani weaker? How does this create balance? Commander's Horn is an auto include in virtually every deck and this is a problem. If your deck doesn't benefit too much from Commander's Horn, you should change your deck so it does benefit from it. It's simply too good.

4. Commander's Horn is the kind of card that dismantles any sort of well thought out moves or strategy from you or your opponent. It is a real challenge to leave your opponent with 1 card and a 21 point deficit in the third round of a tied game. Yet if they hang onto their precious horn the whole game, it doesn't matter how brilliant your calculations were. This is not fair play.

5. People are complaining that without the cards you get from higher levels, namely Ciri and Decoy, it is impossible to climb the ladder when matched against people with these cards Seriously? Ciri??? If you desperately want the sustain of Ciri, there are several options within the Scoia'tel cards that will create a deck like that for you.

6. There is no better feeling when you beat someone and they DON'T send you a good game. There is something truly satisfying about getting under someone's skin enough that they believe you unfairly handed them a loss. Always send a good game, people! Sour grapes will get you nowhere in life.

Attachments

• photo102710.jpg
    photo102710.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 40
I applaud you :yes: I love your post and its well thought out. You mention all the problems without complains . This post just made my day :)

Skindog;n7553870 said:
Why is the Monsters version of Shani weaker? How does this create balance?

Monsters don't have useful stuff to resurrect, I think resurrecting from opponent's graveyard is better (for monsters), so yeah, I don't think caretaker is worse than Shani.

Commander's Horn is an auto include in virtually every deck and this is a problem. If your deck doesn't benefit too much from Commander's Horn, you should change your deck so it does benefit from it. It's simply too good.

Scoia'tael is probably the best faction right now, and I don't think any top deck uses Horn.

Skindog;n7553870 said:
1. The current meta is dependent on pulling cards from graveyards or using insane combo chains to pull cards from your deck(I'm looking at you Scoia'tel)

2. There is very little difference in the meta from rating 1400 to 2500.The decks are mostly the same. (The plays and calculations are tighter at the higher ranks but the cards are the same) There are a few exceptions to this rule prior to 2k mmr and good on ya Henselt players. Keep trying! Weather monster, Shani Foltest, Buff/Res Longships Skellige and the very difficult to manage "I'm gonna draw every special card from my deck" Francesca/Eithne all seem to be at the top of the totem pole.

Well that is partially true though between 1700-2000 I try to test some new decks always, sometimes which makes me drop back to 1400 <.< Regardless, I refuse to use Scoia'tael currently(die terrorists!). Skellige Hurt Legion, Monster Weather, Monster Anti-Weather and some other oddball decks are more fun to play.

Skindog;n7553870 said:
3. Shani is the best gold card in the game, hands down. It needs a tweak. Caretaker is a good comparison. Why is the Monsters version of Shani weaker? How does this create balance? Commander's Horn is an auto include in virtually every deck and this is a problem. If your deck doesn't benefit too much from Commander's Horn, you should change your deck so it does benefit from it. It's simply too good.

Caretaker has the advantage of using the graveyard of opponent, which can potentially disrupt certain chains and can lead to interesting outcomes. Basically you can pull a Shani by getting the dead&demoted Baron from NR graveyard while denying the combo to the opponent.

Commander's Horn is a situationally strong card. You have to have units worth buffing on the floor and depending on your time of use all your work can be undone. Weather, dimeritium bomb, scorch/igni (if you did not take precaution by varying their strengths), weather + aard combo (for first two rows) are good counters to it.

Skindog;n7553870 said:
4. Commander's Horn is the kind of card that dismantles any sort of well thought out moves or strategy from you or your opponent. It is a real challenge to leave your opponent with 1 card and a 21 point deficit in the third round of a tied game. Yet if they hang onto their precious horn the whole game, it doesn't matter how brilliant your calculations were. This is not fair play.

Well...what if someone used a control deck and left not much units on board worth commanding? Then the horn will not be very effective. It is a strong card, but very situational. For example, a Ge'els player who brought a million of arachas to 6 strength prematurely without scorch/igni safetly could claim those cards are "so good".

Skindog;n7553870 said:
5. People are complaining that without the cards you get from higher levels, namely Ciri and Decoy, it is impossible to climb the ladder when matched against people with these cards Seriously? Ciri??? If you desperately want the sustain of Ciri, there are several options within the Scoia'tel cards that will create a deck like that for you.

Well Ciri can be argued but Decoy adds a great deal of versatility to any deck, hands down. Decoy combos can be very devastating.

Skindog;n7553870 said:
6. There is no better feeling when you beat someone and they DON'T send you a good game. There is something truly satisfying about getting under someone's skin enough that they believe you unfairly handed them a loss. Always send a good game, people! Sour grapes will get you nowhere in life.

Honestly, if the game was not good...why should we give good game? I do not give sometimes GG to unoriginal decks regardless of win/loss situation. And that small amount of ore will not make any of us poorer or richer. People should give GG to the games they appreciate and enjoy, rather then treating it as a free bonus to throw around or as something they should do for social acceptance.

Skindog you are wrong about the Horn. It is strong card, but many decks don't use it, they simply do not need it. I mean Scoia decks, also NR deck with Shani and Baron. This kinds of decks do not need horn and still they are the best.

The truth is, that the most powerfull weapon in Gwent is the card advantage. Just look (or listen/read) that top players are playing mostly Scoia. There is a couple of decks with NR and Skellige, maybe Monsters, but it is minority. In general, player with the last card is the winner. There are of course exceptions, but exceptions prove the rule.

Skindog;n7553870 said:

CH is absent on most ST decks, and is utterly useless against enemies with good card advantage + weather. Aard>Coral; Aard>Eithne>Aard>Aglais>Aeromancy, to name a few combos from factions with good card advantage that decimate decks based on commanders horn.

good to know that my graveyard raid deck is creating monsters lovers.

The most powerful cards in game are Aglais and Milva. doubly so when paired with Eithnè. Shani is best 200 scraps cards one can have, 95% of teh cards that cost 800 scraps are worst than Shani.

hint: sometimes NR will turn baron into silver AND play shani- a sure hint that they have renew on hand. if you do not have caretaker, just steal shani on last round and watch the instant forfeit.

But not all games are good. Card games can have you lose really cheaply. You can play perfectly and get screwed over by one legendary or epic one-of and lose. Thats not getting out-skilled.

I agree with basically everything else, though

No Title

Some interesting opinions on Horn here. Perhaps I've had worse luck with it than other people. I'm not sure. As a player that values counters above all else in TCG, Commander's Horn just seems grossly unbalanced.

Everyone seems to be of the consensus that Scoia'tel is the best deck. If you can push them in the first round and take it, it is very unlikely they have two back to back round wins left in their hands. It's not difficult to control ST even when it seems like the game is spiraling out of control.

Here is a snap of my deck. I am currently 2740 rating rank 11:

I should also add there is not a clear cut way to play this deck effectively. Sometimes I find myself dropping witchers, two swallows and a horn in round 1 and crossing my fingers.

Attachments

• photo102750.jpg
    photo102750.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
That's pretty similar to my deck, except instead of Toad and Gaunter I use Decoy and Octvist for silvers.

I use avallac'h instead if igni for gold, i'll have to try Igni instead and see how it is, that card is next up on my list to acquire.

I find with avallac'h and decoy its very easy to get card advantage (only if you draw good though). We do the same play with witchers in round 1 and hope to win it or card advantage.

I've considered Ocvist instead of horn but with the prevalence of Mardroeme it's hard to imagine him staying up for long.

Very similar to the deck I've used for the last couple weeks as well... Griffons are by far the best monster cards yet they aren't OP because of the limitations of the faction overall.

Skindog;n7553870 said:

I don't see how considering the laundry list of counters for it.

Dimeritium bomb is exactly like you describe though, and it has no counter. Not one.

D-Bomb is countered by itself - it doesn't do anything agains't a bunch of the meta.

Like Commander's horn, those cards aren't OP, they just grab game if your deck isn't prepared and bad built.

nestalim;n7568360 said:
D-Bomb is countered by itself - it doesn't do anything agains't a bunch of the meta.

Like Commander's horn, those cards aren't OP, they just grab game if your deck isn't prepared and bad built.

Thats not what a counter is, or how counters work.

And its not even remotely similar to commanders horn.

Last edited:
CondorCalabasas;n7568700 said:
Thats not what a counter is, or how counters work.

And its not even remotely similar to commanders horn.

D-Bomb is by itself built to deal with buff strategy, or to beat wound strategy like weather or Harald.

It doesn't need to be countered but checked, as any reactive cards.

It is in fact not similar as Horn which is very proactive, but that doesn't meant they can't be compared in term of brokenness.

Skindog;n7553870 said:

There is a good reason for Caretaker to work as he does. Using him you revive a card from the opponents graveyard, not your own graveyard. And therefore you get a chance to use some mechanics from another faction, which is kinda op. For example: Opponent casts Baron, then converts him to silver to use him in the next round. But you win the current round and revive Baron by using Caretaker. Then you use Decoy on that silver Baron and play him again.

Top Bottom