The Devs Proposed Weather Changes!

+
Don't like the first idea, even more 'card advantage = win'. If you do not have card advantage - you are dead, meanwhile poor monsters won't even be able to use the weather to debuff the elves.

And don't like the second idea, even more 'in the last round only gold cards matter'. NR will just flood the board with weather.

I think Clear Skies tweak isn't well synergized with the importance of spreading your units across three rows and the simple fact that you can only have 3 Clear Skies (4 with Dagon), while weather cards are restricted only by card type limits of the deck...

it greatly reduces the pressure weather puts on buff decks, but increases weather power against decks that rely on base strength. consume and breed decks from monsters benefit, ST and SK not. anything that hurts ST helps improving the game.

I would like to clarify some points here, and also say why I feel these changes are coming.
im not critising these changes, or praising them. I don't want to do that until I can actually play with them.

When we are talking about remembering strength, and remembering buffs and wounds, that isn't actually as confusing as it sounds.

lets say you have unit at 5 strength
swallow potion it to bring it to 13
weather it and it drops to 1

what the game will remember is simply to add 12 the this unit when the weather is cleared.
it doesn't actually matter what buffs or wounding has occurred once the weather is played. All that happens is that the current strength will go up by n-1 where n is the value of the unit before weather. (In this case 12)

So your unit now at 1 strength now gets buffed by 4
it goes up to 5 and then is wounded down to 3

when the weather is cleared the unit will be at 15 strength.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another point I think should be clarified is about clear skies.
This change I think is necessary to balance the weather cards based on their colour.
Note when I am talking about 1 row, I'm talking about 1 row for both you and your opponent.

1 bronze weather card only affects one row
so it seems necessary to make clear skies only clear one row, it is a bronze card
1 bronze = 1 bronze

2 bronze clear skies are therefore necessary to clear 1 silver weather card (white frost etc...)
2 bronze = 1 silver

3 bronze cards are needed to completely remove the effects of ragh nar roog
3 bronze = 1 gold

aeromancy doesn't quite fit in with that, however aeromancy is silver because it is the choice of 3 bronze in one card.

--------------------------------------

Now I will do some pure speculation here:

i very much doubt that clear skies will only have a form in a bronze card.
I think there will be silver and maybe even gold variety cards that have multiple row weather clearing effects.
it wouldn't surprise me to see alzur's double cross get a silver quality clear skies effect.
and that would make sense with what I described above.

First light (bronze card)
rally - pulls a random bronze unit
clear skies (1 row) - counters the effects of 1 bronze weather card

Theoretical new double cross (silver card)
pulls highest unit from your deck, can be silver or bronze
Clear skies (2 rows) - counters the effect of 1 silver weather card, or two bronze, or 2/3 the effect of ragh nar roog

and who knows, we may see a gold variation, that follows that pattern.
(I don't think it would summon gold units, but still have a balanced ability)

-----------------------

Hopefully this clarifies things for anybody who was either confused or unsure with the proposed changes.
i have done my best to outline why I believe these proposed changes are coming (if they are)
We'll have to wait for the next patch to find out.

These will lead to deck compositions which try to establish themselves on the siege row unless they also change how Aard works. These proposed changes provide no real solution to the game. Basically ST will continue with its chain, attempt to concentrate on one row while trying to out-live weather spam. Nonetheless this proposed change seems like a precursor for addition of silver/gold clear weather cards which will provide a better weather removal.

A standalone "Clear Skies" and a silver "First Light" (with double effect) would solve many issues in a more swifter manner.

Also these proposed changes also give more emphasis on card advantage. Saying the last word is important...in this case against weather...it will be a matter of survival.

Overally I am not much fond of these proposed changes.

Ugralitan;n7557980 said:
These will lead to deck compositions which try to establish themselves on the siege row unless they also change how Aard works. These proposed changes provide no real solution to the game. Basically ST will continue with its chain, attempt to concentrate on one row while trying to out-live weather spam. Nonetheless this proposed change seems like a precursor for addition of silver/gold clear weather cards which will provide a better weather removal.

A standalone "Clear Skies" and a silver "First Light" (with double effect) would solve many issues in a more swifter manner.

Also these proposed changes also give more emphasis on card advantage. Saying the last word is important...in this case against weather...it will be a matter of survival.

Overally I am not much fond of these proposed changes.

You have to remember that we do not know by any means the full extent of the changes coming in the next patch.
This is only one (admittedly big) change, but by no means is it all that's going to come next patch.

Spies are being reworked from what I have heard.
elven mercenaries are being changed (a bit I believe), I think they hey are gonna become relentless, but don't quote me on it.
I also think aard will be changed, however I can't actually remember precisely what rethaz said in twitch chat on kingblacktoof's last stream.

But anyway wait till next patch.

Last edited:
Ugralitan;n7557980 said:
As previously talked about, a standalone Clear Skies (Which is what it was before) was useless most of the time. Putting it in your deck and versing any deck not using weather severely hampers your deck.

A silver First Light wouldn't be used at all because the silver slot is precious and not worth putting in a single weather clear or a bronze rally. It would have to be buffed to bring out a silver card or something.

No real point in talking about though as the balance patch is surely going to change up other things as well

Tamacountry13;n7558320 said:
No real point in talking about though as the balance patch is surely going to change up other things as well

Exacxtly.

Also about the fear of *Stick on Row* - we have Aard and Igni to prevent a overwhelming force. But how all is worked out we can only see after the new changes.

I think this is a good change. Should make clear sky a little less OP, and hopefully a little less popular so Weather decks can shine a little bit more again. That said, this will actually make my buff deck better than it was before.

Tamacountry13;n7558320 said:
As previously talked about, a standalone Clear Skies (Which is what it was before) was useless most of the time. Putting it in your deck and versing any deck not using weather severely hampers your deck.

A silver First Light wouldn't be used at all because the silver slot is precious and not worth putting in a single weather clear or a bronze rally. It would have to be buffed to bring out a silver card or something.

You misunderstood double-effect. It is NOT weather clear OR bronze rally. It is weather clear AND bronze rally which makes it as valuable as using two bronze cards. And furthermore it would end current ST-loop.

Now, standalone Clear Skies would be as risky as letting Foglets and Wild Hunt Riders into your deck. You could get a bad mulligan or a bad draw at other rounds. But that would also make a discarding a valuable mechanic when you do not encounter a weather deck you'd ditch the Clear Skies cards at first possible instance.

Also, the topic is about weather changes...there is point in discussing such things for the record.

LadyAly Since we are discussing weather might as well consider Aard + Weather. In my opinion current Aard also should be brought into line by applying the 1 damage first then moving the row. Moving an entire row into weather or even its only effect (which is dislocating cards from their row) is a traumatic concept.

We are ALL WAITING the next patch, but that does not mean we should not discuss and voice our concerns.

so with the change to first light a silver weather card + aard and lacerate will kill of an entire row (except golds) for sure, even if the opponent has first light in hand. Well, weather needed changing, we'll see how it turns out. Still, weather still sounds like a win it or loose it mechanic, if you can pull weather of -> win. If it gets countered -> loose

DirkAustin;n7555830 said:
This sucks. The whiners won again. First clear skies change, now this. Game wont be fun post release. Sucks that the devs listen to whiners more than anything else.
I'm inclined to think the same...
LadyAly;n7558420 said:
Also about the fear of *Stick on Row* - we have Aard and Igni to prevent a overwhelming force. But how all is worked out we can only see after the new changes.
Siege row for Skellige with mushrooms AND buffs, let's see how Aard will do...
geok1ng;n7556950 said:
it greatly reduces the pressure weather puts on buff decks, but increases weather power against decks that rely on base strength. consume and breed decks from monsters benefit, ST and SK not. anything that hurts ST helps improving the game.
You're joking, right? ST will get even stronger.
It won't increase weather power against decks that rely on base strength, quite the contrary. Skellige will benefit mightily, NR will too. The only faction that will suffer is... Monsters. Bravo devs!
:facepalm:

i dont really like the change to how weather works,though i like the change to first light.a nerf there was pretty much necessary.but the nerf to weather itself i dont really like,monster weather decks are gonna fall even further down the drain.

also incoming even more PFI whine threads,since now they wont even lose the normal buffs!!

Lim3zer0;n7557150 said:
This change I think is necessary to balance the weather cards based on their colour.

Yeah, I agree. It's weird a bronze card can undo a gold card.

Though it still worries me that ST and NR might get even stronger by this change. And Monster Weather still isn't (more) viable.

HenryGrosmont;n7560080 said:
Also about the fear of *Stick on Row* - we have Aard and Igni to prevent a overwhelming force. But how all is worked out we can only see after the new changes. Siege row for Skellige with mushrooms AND buffs, let's see how Aard will do...

This is why I mentioned GIgni - but I suppose there will be hopefully changes to weather resistance, too. And I fear like many, that Monsters gets even weaker then before. Maybe the consume decks have greater chances for wins.
But again - we shouldn't judge now. Let see what is coming - then try it out - and do not forget it is CLOSED BETA. The only time to try out stuff.

4RM3D;n7555260 said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzkUjBbLV-8

In short:
1) Buffs and wounds are remembered through weather.
2) Clear Skies only removes ONE row of weather.

Thoughts?

I think this is a great change which will make weather stronger without nerfing Clear Skies too much.

In some cases that could even be a buff. For instance, I had a game recently when my opponent had both fog and rain in round 3. I put Donar (giving 1 str to the opponent for 1 card is preeeetty good), but had to use clear skies later. Obviously, that would be beneficial to me to clear only the rain so my priestesses and Sigfrida are back to full str, but not Donar.

When I read point 1.) I had to laugh... I have been thinking about this for some time and I was going to propose the very same solution (telepathy confirmed). Finally buff tactics will become more viable and the meta won't be all about control (although I still think 4 scorches from ST is overwhelming, scorch should be fleeting imho, but that's another topic...).
As to point 2.) it also makes sense as long as silver/gold equivalents of clear skies will be added.
Regarding stacked siege row... well I think that we will deffinitely see some cards which pull the units to previous row (siege->ranged->melee). It does make no sense for this mechanic (which is quite funny itself) to work in one direction only.

HenryGrosmont;n7560080 said:
You're joking, right? ST will get even stronger.
It won't increase weather power against decks that rely on base strength, quite the contrary. Skellige will benefit mightily, NR will too. The only faction that will suffer is... Monsters. Bravo devs!
:facepalm:

Care to explain?

Top Bottom