If Dimeritium Bomb isn't OP then why are the developers looking into rebalancing it?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Dimeritium Bomb isn't OP then why are the developers looking into rebalancing it?

Frustrating getting trolled anytime I attempt to discuss Dimeritium Bomb's balance. I don't understand why the Reddit Gwent community is so toxic, but yet incapable of countering my argument with anything. I even had one guy say Dimteritium Bomb was weak, when asked why, he threw a temper tantrum. Hopefully this community isn't as toxic or incapable of forming an argument like the majority of the reddit community. From what I've seen so far it looks good.

If you disagree with someone's opinion on a card's balance, make sure you can not only back up your own argument, but provide a counter to theirs. Otherwise you look like a toxic troll.

Above all, I find it absolutely hilarious that some people think popularity has anything to do with balance. That isn't how video games work lol.

Attachments

• photo102840.png
    photo102840.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Because something doesn't need to be OP in order to be rebalanced. I've also rarely seen D-bomb since the latest patch. I guess there are some other changes coming next patch which requires D-Bomb to be changed, rather than D-Bomb itself being OP.

Incidentally:

CondorCalabasas;n7556510 said:
Yea, just use Dimeritum Bomb, its OP, and exactly what you are looking for. Probably the most OP card in the game.

No, not by a long shot.

4RM3D;n7556570 said:
Because something doesn't need to be OP in order to be rebalanced. I've also rarely seen D-bomb since the latest patch. I guess there are some other changes coming next patch which requires D-Bomb to be changed, rather than D-Bomb itself being OP.

Incidentally:

No, not by a long shot.
Yea, it just has to be unbalanced, in order for them to rebalance it. Which is my point. Well I guess since you haven't seen it, that means its perfectly balanced. That couldn't possibly have anything to do with the deck you are running, nope, not at all. Popularity determines balance, I'm sure you can explain that logic you just left it out for your post for no reason what so ever lol.

You guess? So were all just supposed to take your word for it? lol. You just argued with me for the sake of it, because you disagree, but can't actually come up with a reason why.

I did not come here it argue with someone who argues for the sake of it.

If its true that it wasn't the most OP card by a long shot, you'd have no problem including something to back that up. In debate, when someone makes a claim they do not attempt to back up, its considered invalid.

DirkAustin;n7556590 said:
Because whiners have more say in what gets changed.

Good thing that doesn't apply to Dimeritium bomb.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few posts have been deleted. Rather than trading personal attacks, let's actually discuss the topic. If not, the topic will be locked and further actions may be taken against accounts. I suggest everyone take a breath.

Last edited:
CondorCalabasas;n7556540 said:
Frustrating getting trolled anytime I attempt to discuss Dimeritium Bomb's balance. I don't understand why the Reddit Gwent community is so toxic, but yet incapable of countering my argument with anything. I even had one guy say Dimteritium Bomb was weak, when asked why, he threw a temper tantrum. Hopefully this community isn't as toxic or incapable of forming an argument like the majority of the reddit community. From what I've seen so far it looks good.

If you disagree with someone's opinion on a card's balance, make sure you can not only back up your own argument, but provide a counter to theirs. Otherwise you look like a toxic troll.

Above all, I find it absolutely hilarious that some people think popularity has anything to do with balance. That isn't how video games work lol.

Ive been running dimeritium bomb for some time, but eventually replaced as it. Ill clarify, the card has several uses. It can be used as a counter to weather, but in this role its inferiour to first light. Rally is allways a backup plan, dimeritium bomb doesnt have one. Besides, it doesnt remove weather, doesnt stop aard either. It can counter buffs and added stregnth, but in that regard its actually inferiour to weather. Latter not only removes any "green" power, but also sets power to 1. Its especially important when most buffs that are being played are base stregnth, against wich dimeritium bomb is helpless. It also removes buffs from gold cards, In doing so it almost unique, I included it mostly because i had troubles with NR gold spam. But its only 2 str per unit, unless something like yennefer was involved. Finnaly it can be used as an AOE "heal". Wich actually comes quite handy against such popular guy as Harold, and is a unique. Biggest trouble of dimeritium bomb is the fact that its silver. Most valuable thing in game is card advantage - well, Ocvist and decoy are there. A good half of faction spies are silver as well. Second most valuable? Deck thinning to draw core cards. Here we have the double cross and king of beggars in neutrals, also witchers trio. Thats without class cards. Then there are"removal baits", cards that can have insane value unless killed outright. Margarita, Nithral and the crew. And many, many more.
Dimeritium bomb is a jack of all trades, but its an ace of none. It carried me several games, but most of the time its performance was lacking for its rarity. Situation might change if weather indeed changed to not nullify buffs. Then massive "green" power gainers like wardancers will see play again, and with them the bomb. In current meta however bombs average output is not woth a silver slot.
And yes, we may speculate on "what if", but changing a card based on its theoretical performance is nonsense, problems shall be solved as they arrive.
Hopefully this will do as constructive critique.

D-Bomb has three uses.

1. Removing green buffs on the whole field.
Weather is generally better at this however and it has the disadvantage of lowering your power too which means it needs to be in decks that don't buff themselves. This will probably change in the next patch but currently weather is MUCH better at dealing with buffs.

2. It heals damaged units on the field.
Again this could be beneficial on detrimental depending on the situation, It can completely counter Harold's ability which is probably one of its best uses.

3. It deals with boosted Gold cards mainly NR.
Its effectively the only card that can counter their their passive (Harold can too I guess) and it's probably thier biggest fear. NR shouldn't run D-Bomb themselves.

You need to include a Silver card in your deck for a card that "might" be beneficial.
Yes it has single handily won me matches but there's also plent of times where it's done nothing and I use it to waste a turn.
If you thinks it's overpowered then try it out for yourself, It doesn't always help you.

As with a lot of cards, d-bomb is quite situational.

Tamacountry13 already mentioned the most common uses of D-bomb
but despite this, they are specific to the situation.
you have to factor in the reliability of cards when considering their balance.

A lot of cards right now can be extremely powerful, but if you cannot reliably play them, what is the point.
its why many people prefer igni over borkh (even though borkh can force your opponents hand, and can do more damage)
why weather is preferred over Philippa (even though Philippa is in some ways more powerful than weather, (she is one sided, and immune to clear skies))

d-bomb, can be powerful, but isn't reliable enough to put in a competitive deck.

Tamacountry13;n7557080 said:
D-Bomb has three uses.

1. Removing green buffs on the whole field.
Weather is generally better at this however and it has the disadvantage of lowering your power too which means it needs to be in decks that don't buff themselves. This will probably change in the next patch but currently weather is MUCH better at dealing with buffs.

2. It heals damaged units on the field.
Again this could be beneficial on detrimental depending on the situation, It can completely counter Harold's ability which is probably one of its best uses.

3. It deals with boosted Gold cards mainly NR.
Its effectively the only card that can counter their their passive (Harold can too I guess) and it's probably thier biggest fear. NR shouldn't run D-Bomb themselves.

You need to include a Silver card in your deck for a card that "might" be beneficial.
Yes it has single handily won me matches but there's also plent of times where it's done nothing and I use it to waste a turn.
If you thinks it's overpowered then try it out for yourself, It doesn't always help you.

If it isn't beneficial, you can simply discard it. It is the most effective card against buff decks, and no other card in the game comes close. It has no counter. Nothing can be done to mitigate someone playing Dimeritium bomb.

Saying it doesn't always help you, doesn't change the fact that it can single handedly beat any buff deck regardless. The reason why so many people rarely see it, and don't think its so reliable, is because control decks are currently the meta decks, and control decks counter buff decks. Making buff decks the least popular deck build.

Lim3zer0;n7557270 said:
As with a lot of cards, d-bomb is quite situational.

Tamacountry13 already mentioned the most common uses of D-bomb
but despite this, they are specific to the situation.
you have to factor in the reliability of cards when considering their balance.

A lot of cards right now can be extremely powerful, but if you cannot reliably play them, what is the point.
its why many people prefer igni over borkh (even though borkh can force your opponents hand, and can do more damage)
why weather is preferred over Philippa (even though Philippa is in some ways more powerful than weather, (she is one sided, and immune to clear skies))

d-bomb, can be powerful, but isn't reliable enough to put in a competitive deck.

It is very situational. You'd be right about that if it wasn't possible to discard Dimeritium bomb. You can actually get rid of the card completely if you don't need it for your opponent. I agree though, if discard didn't exist then its reliability would be a massive negative.

Well, like I said before, you can reliably play Dimeritium bomb, and if its not necessary then you can simply discard it, and it won't come up again.

Yea, I don't disagree. The reason why you wouldn't want to put it in a competitive deck, is because Dimeritium bomb is most effective against buff decks, and buff decks are the least popular decks.

Last edited:
That's the strength of skellige, to optimise your hand with discards and draws.
if fact the sign of any good deck is one that allows you to optimise your had as best you can.

but d-bomb is a silver card, it occupies a valuable position in the deck. and your filling a silver slot with a card that right from the off your considering the possibility of discarding.
I would be very hesitant to do that. As there are far better silvers out there.

i would wait till next patch toe see what happens, if D-bomb as expected/speculated is changed.
if the changes to weather are as they seem then we will se a lot more of d-bomb.

I'm just sitting here wanting to know what this nearly-unbeatable NR deck everyone is talking about XD I run NR and I'm not seeing the brokn-ness.

Dalek_Rek;n7557570 said:
I'm just sitting here wanting to know what this nearly-unbeatable NR deck everyone is talking about XD I run NR and I'm not seeing the brokn-ness.

I with you there, all I know is that its some kind of damage deck that includes Radovid.

First, Dimetirium Bomb isn't OP. The Devs are thinking of rebalancing a HUGE number of cards, and D-Bomb could be one of them, eventually. That could have a lot to say, from the fact that the effect can be pretty weak, and than the new Weather chang could make the card too good or too bad. That doesn't prove anything at all, and it's not even an argument.

Secondly, D-Bomb has seen nearly 0 play in the higher ladder, I didn't face the card since rank 6 and it was a while ago. It doesn't fit to beat any Tier 1 decks currently and has some interactions with some Tier 2. Imo, this card is just a bad Aeromancy.

A lot of good argument, solid facts has been given here, it's a silver card that can no impact on the board, if you can't cycle it properly it is a raw card disavantage that can cost you a gain. And it is harder to cycle for Skellige since the nerf of Ermion.

Dalek_Rek : http://gwentify.com/decks/the-knight...demoted-baron/

One of the strongest deck on the ladder, with an even match-up on ST Roach/Ciri.

nestalim;n7558390 said:
First, Dimetirium Bomb isn't OP. The Devs are thinking of rebalancing a HUGE number of cards, and D-Bomb could be one of them, eventually. That could have a lot to say, from the fact that the effect can be pretty weak, and than the new Weather chang could make the card too good or too bad. That doesn't prove anything at all, and it's not even an argument.

Secondly, D-Bomb has seen nearly 0 play in the higher ladder, I didn't face the card since rank 6 and it was a while ago. It doesn't fit to beat any Tier 1 decks currently and has some interactions with some Tier 2. Imo, this card is just a bad Aeromancy.

A lot of good argument, solid facts has been given here, it's a silver card that can no impact on the board, if you can't cycle it properly it is a raw card disavantage that can cost you a gain. And it is harder to cycle for Skellige since the nerf of Ermion.

Dalek_Rek : http://gwentify.com/decks/the-knight...demoted-baron/

One of the strongest deck on the ladder, with an even match-up on ST Roach/Ciri.

I'am being taken seriously, so clearly there isn't any problem. If you want me to take you seriously, you shouldn't be rude. You'll have to explain that for me, I don't see how there is anything wrong with laughing. I don't look at this as its so serious. We are talking about a video game here. What he said made me laugh.

"First, Dimetirium Bomb isn't OP. The Devs are thinking of rebalancing a HUGE number of cards, and D-Bomb could be one of them, eventually."

Oh, you didn't look at the picture. Dimeritium bomb is getting rebalanced.

"That could have a lot to say, from the fact that the effect can be pretty weak"

What makes you think its weak?

"than the new Weather chang could make the card too good or too bad."

How would it make it too good? How would it make it too bad?

"That doesn't prove anything at all, and it's not even an argument."

I've made an argument, and it does prove that the card is imbalanced and they are going to rebalance it. There is no reason they'd buff it, as its already too powerful as it is. So obviously they are looking into nerfing it. Nothing else makes logical sense.

"Secondly, D-Bomb has seen nearly 0 play in the higher ladder,"

Popularity doesn't effect balance, that is meta you are thinking of. Meta is how the popularity (in this case) of a deck, and how that effects the choices the community makes. I'm not talking about the meta here, I'm just talking about the balance of the card. Even if no one used it, it would have absolutely nothing to do with the cards balance.

"A lot of good argument, solid facts has been given here, it's a silver card that can no impact on the board, if you can't cycle it properly it is a raw card disavantage that can cost you a gain. And it is harder to cycle for Skellige since the nerf of Ermion."

True but all of that can be easily mitigated with a neutral card that can discard.

Dalek_Rek;n7557570 said:

Yesterday, a broken NR deck placed 35points on the board with a single card (shani+PFI). The very same PFI the opponent used for the same 3 rounds. This is the definition of broken.

Few posts edited after moderator's warning and so this thread gets locked. No personal attacks and no name calling in these forums. Keep your feedback and comments constructive and civilized, be polite. You don't have to agree, but you have to respect different opinions. Quoted from the forum rules:
  • always treat others with kindness and respect
Thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom