pig of the puddle [Boar of the Sea]

+
pig of the puddle [Boar of the Sea]

I'm sorry, but this Boar of the Sea card wins competition for most useless gold card ever created. Hands down.

1. It does anything at all only when it is under rain - so you must stuck your deck with rain cards (otherwise not having that much synergy with Skellige)
2. It then produces some effect, but you can only make any use of it if you play some war longships or such...
3. ... which are third row and not rain-immune. Er, what?!

If I wanted to produce such an enormous battery of discard, shooting at the end of first round - I'd use Ermion instead (plus the usual suspects - Donar, Birna), thank you ery much. Ermion doesn't need any additional cards in your deck to work (and which cards have bad synergy with the elements of the very same battery you are constructing), cannot be countered by the opponent (who can dispel rain, for example) and produces a much more useful effect (you discard the cards you want to discard, like skirmisher, raider, shieldmaiden, and in addition you get a mulligan).

Oh my, Lugos? This poor bastard completely annihilated by everything, from Triss to d-shackles? And he will get a whole additional point of strength for every turn you watered your Boar? Splendid. Looking forward to meeting your deck, fielding them both...

I think Lugos will change to gain base strength with his effect. I still believe he should go back to 1 turn timer though.

Well, may not be the most useless one, but definetly up there. Actually it and succubus are both of really questionable value. Ship is basicly an 8 power gold. To get any more value out of it, you need: a rain card, a pirate in your hand AND something to synergize with discard. Thats 4 cards. Not only that, but you really want to thin your deck before you draw. As so - those 4 cards are needed in your starting hand, sine you really dont want to draw pirates. So skellige, who naturally benefit from dragging the game for 3 rounds must commit at least 4 of their cards in round 1, when they are at their weakest. And only in those conditions it may have a value above 8, even before we count possible weather removal, removing unit that benefits from discard ETC.
Succubus is even worse. She starts at -10 gold power, to get to 12 power average gold swing, she needs to steal a unit of at least 11 power, wich is allready rare enough. And she gives an opponent 2 turns to react or pass. Wich means that you have to stay in round for that to actually work, thus shes only usable if you allready won 1 round. Moreover, power swing coming from her still can be negated with weather, dimeritium, scorch or whatever. So to be really impactful, she needs to be played in specific round on a huge minion. But there is allready geralt:Igni, that can hit multiple targets and have no restrictive drawbacks. Besides, shes a monster gold card. We allready have a plenty of low power units, so we can just use bekkers mirror if we really must. Does about the same job, doesnt give opponent 10 power gold thou.
Triss is on a bright sight of new golds, as her effect just might be powerfull enough to let her see play. Sure, sometimes she will meet a cinycal elf and cause a ragequit, but a turn 1 Triss just may give you a free round, even if she hits like 5 units in your starting hand - thats a sweet 20 extra power.

As a side note - Nilfgaard is gonna be the most popular deck for a while, and seeing a bronze caretaker guys among their ranks makes me feel like devs have some personal score to settle with Skellige.

Yeah a very weird gold card indeed. This looks at most like a silver that people might use sometimes in round 1 with rain and then discard the pirates in round 2/3 without rain with War Longships.
But this is already so much setup and requires that you have/get the right cards in hand.

PS: The title of this thread made my day :D

Graveyard Skellige decks will be pretty much dead next patch. It was already hard enough to play against Monsters with such decks but now with probably the most popular faction having bronze caretakers Skellige will have really hard times against them. (Not to mention that Monsters got super-buffed while Skellige got no real noticable changes and the new cards for them arent that good either)

el_Bosco;n7627850 said:
A couple new consume cards equals super buffed?

Eredin is 12 strength now, all frost/fog/rain immune units are immune to all weather now (good bye geralt:aard), Monster-passive is better, weather mechanic changed, consumer decks are really powerful now (with vran warrior, eggs etc.) and even breeders are somewhat better now with the change to commanders horn... :D

Last edited:
isnadtochiev;n7627480 said:
As a side note - Nilfgaard is gonna be the most popular deck for a while, and seeing a bronze caretaker guys among their ranks makes me feel like devs have some personal score to settle with Skellige.

Don't we all have a personal score to settle with Skellige? If the game gets to round three, you practically need to open with a Fireball Trap just to stand a chance. Creatures come back to life in that faction more than in DC Comic Books.

Strollin when you put it like that.. yeah. It has been buffed. But not super buffed. Weather monsters remains to be seen its viability as the changes to weather were balanced with a wide range of weather immunity and even the pot.

Super buffed were consume decks. In that i agree.

Either way, I find these buffs deserved as monsters were one of (if not the) weakest deck coming out of the last patch.

But we're going offtopic.

frbfree;n7627940 said:
Don't we all have a personal score to settle with Skellige?

BwAhAhAhA! Still one week of our reign of terror!

(and then we quietly go to the history discard heap)

It sure is going to be an interesting time for Skellige players.
I've been testing a lot of different cards in the last few weeks for Skellige and they sure have some potential. Not sure how those will work in the long run though.

The gold ship is as mentioned a bit of a weird one, as it is only good in the first turn. (Maybe second if the first was short.)

Skellig's speciality lies in: weather, wound, discard and resurrect.
The later is getting hit a bit, (Not by much though) but it may be enough to show the other play types a bit more.

It is super weird card, I give you that, but is is far from worst gold. In optimal situation, it could give you around 7 more triggers for discard, with let say 2 cards that trigger from discard, it is 8 base power + 28 power from triggers, for solid 36 power swing and also gives extra 7 power to Lugos who is now Dimetrium immune. Of course it need lot of setup, so it is hard to say how powerful this would be, but upside is definitely there.

Strollin;n7627930 said:
Eredin is 12 strength now
Hm, watched those "reveal" videos, also glaced over chages in this forum. Missed that one thou. If you could hook me up with a link to the souce, id appreciate it.

Isi23_23;n7628440 said:
It is super weird card, I give you that, but is is far from worst gold. In optimal situation, it could give you around 7 more triggers for discard, with let say 2 cards that trigger from discard, it is 8 base power + 28 power from triggers, for solid 36 power swing and also gives extra 7 power to Lugos who is now Dimetrium immune. Of course it need lot of setup, so it is hard to say how powerful this would be, but upside is definitely there.

Was this a joke?

I ignore even those 7 triggers (you played Boar, then rain, and then the round continued for another 7 turns, with the opponent not trying to play FL even once?). No, let's go with your 'optimal' scenario.You want 7 triggers, let it be 7 triggers. And two cards benefitting (one pirate captain, one war longship).

Instead of Boar I have Ermion. Differences:

1. Boar has 2 more strength. + 2 for Boar.
2. Battery triggers for 5 more times. +20 for Boar. Yay!
3. Ermion discards two cards that need discarding. Say, skirmisher and raider. +3 for Ermion.
4. Ermion does not need to play self-damaging rain, instead he plays something useful. Say, priestess on discarded skirmisher. +14 for Ermion. Ouch!
5. ... and this skirmisher will be +4 in the following rounds, too. +8 for Ermion. More ouch!
6. ... and Ermion draws two cards, thinning your deck. +? for Ermion.
7. ... and with Ermion the rest of your hand and deck consists of useful cards, not some stupid rains. +! for Ermion.

In short, even in your optimal situation Ermion is MUCH BETTER. In not-so-optimal situation (opponent having FL, or Boar not coming to hand before playing pirates - and you are going to play pirates before any deck-thinning, because you do not want to draw pirates) it is incomparably better.

EDIT: I forgot one more very important thing. You can use Ermion together with Donar and Birna, they do not damage each other (just they all have to be used ater pirates). But you cannot use them together with Boar. Because they could draw or discard a pirate. Beautiful card, this Boar is: you have to construct a discard battery but cannot use the other discard cards with it. Such a perfect synergy with the other cards...

Last edited:
rams142857;n7628960 said:
Because they could draw or discard a pirate.
Actually that is not true, because boar adds pirates to the bottom of the deck, and you draw cards from above, so unless you already have drawn all your cards, you won't draw a pirate. However I think this card could be better, maybe with the ability changed to: each turn add one clan dimun pirate to the bottom of your deck, if there's rain on the row, add two clan dimun pirates.
Thoughts?

Tungdilboindil;n7630760 said:
Actually that is not true, because boar adds pirates to the bottom of the deck, and you draw cards from above, so unless you already have drawn all your cards, you won't draw a pirate.

There are still two of your original pirates in your deck, they can be at any position, you totally can draw or discard them.

isnadtochiev;n7628740 said:
Hm, watched those "reveal" videos, also glaced over chages in this forum. Missed that one thou. If you could hook me up with a link to the souce, id appreciate it.

Can't give you a direct source to that (too lazy to search for it) but you can check KBTs stream from yesterday on twitch. He shows pretty much everything that will come with the next patch there (one of those things being Eredin with 12 strength).

Top Bottom