Skellige - Why No Special Ability Like Other Faction ?

+
Skellige - Why No Special Ability Like Other Faction ?

Hello... Sorry if I am missing something here but I really feels that all skellige abilities are common in every other faction like discard / weather immunity & there is no such ability skellige having which stands separate then other factions like..

Promote for NR / Ambush for Soc. / Breed or Consume for Monster but What skellige is having ? Only discard & weather immunity which every other faction can do with many cards & with last patch discard is pretty much nerf for skellige as well now with new patch thunderbolt is giving weather immunity as well I think weather change is there too.

So I really want developers to give something special to skellige like other factions.

Any Suggestions ?

I think that resurrection might be considered as an ability, and for Skellige is very powerful. Spies in skellige are very strong (gaining card advantage) and playing with damage cards (warcry) and dimeritium bomb can have very powerful combos. I agree that right now you only see weather and discard, but I still have a lot of fun with some of the other strategies.

panerola;n7633820 said:
I think that resurrection might be considered as an ability, and for Skellige is very powerful. Spies in skellige are very strong (gaining card advantage) and playing with damage cards (warcry) and dimeritium bomb can have very powerful combos. I agree that right now you only see weather and discard, but I still have a lot of fun with some of the other strategies.

NR can resurrect with medics.. Monsters can resurrect NR or SK medic with Care taker & resurrect one more card with that medic.. NG also having medics so I think only Sco. is not with resurrection & may be monster is bit weak but overall imo that's not a special ability which only skellige have.

And as I said with last patch discard nerf. & now with new patch weather immunity card plus weather / aard nerf skellige is definitely going to struggle.

As well all skellige cards/abilities are predictable as those are very straight forwards but this is not the case with other faction abilities like...

It's hard to guess that NR is having promote cards or not.. If having then when & on what they going to use it. Same with Sco. ambush.. you never know what ambush card is going to reveal... etc. Yes you can guess but failure is possible but this is not the case with skellige as everyone knows discard / immunity & resurrection cards.

I think self-damage/discard is supposed to be SK special mechanic. A lot of units are triggered by those two things. It's just... I don't see many decks heavily relying on these mechanics. They can be quite interesting, though. I once encountered a deck that went for Clan Tuirseach Axeman + Yennefer + Harald combo. Opponent placed a lot of units on the field, played Axeman, spawned Chironex by Yen and then rekt my side of the board with Harald. Pretty risky deck, but seems like fun.

Last edited:
NR will lose a lot of resurrection power with the next patch (and likely there'll be even more changes in this area after that) and Monsters only have one medic. So I definitely think that resurrection is supposed to be a special ability - CDPR just messed that up by making NR far too strong in that area.

Also there are a lot of discard cards.

Power through weakening is another speciality (several units built on that archetype) - I think we'll see that more often after the patch, since buffing will make more sense and Crach seems to get stronger.

Last edited:
The examples you are giving is about strategies where I am talking about special ability which other factions not going to have. I have given the examples above.

I am not saying skellige is not winning with any other factions but as I said all abilities are plain.. boring.. & highly predictable.

Discard - Just discard cards & opp. can see it in your graveyard. Not impacting any opp. cards.
Resurrection - Again just resurrects cards from your graveyard which super predictable & again no impact on opp. cards.
Immunity - Straight forward passive ability nothing special in it.

I am not sure but with new patch SK is also getting nerf. in resurrection.

I only want to say that skellige don't have any ability which can be hard to predict & only available for skellige faction like other factions have.

devivre;n7634060 said:
Also there are a lot of discard cards.

Discard only thins the deck & I think with first light / last wish & many other faction cards thins the deck pretty nicely.

devivre;n7634060 said:
Power through weakening is another speciality (several units built on that archetype) -

How ?

TH3WITCH3R;n7634130 said:
Discard only thins the deck
Not for Skellige. As I mentioned before, they have plenty of units that trigger their abilities when SK discard something. Same for self-damaging.

NlelithZ44;n7634640 said:
Not for Skellige. As I mentioned before, they have plenty of units that trigger their abilities when SK discard something. Same for self-damaging.

I know that but as I said those are easily predictable as well depends on each other so it's more like strategy then a single ability. To use discard you have to use those cards otherwise discard is only good to thin deck. Same goes with self damaging.
Now take example of promote.. it's not limited to specific cards same goes to ambush. Ya monster breed ability is quite predictable but still consume is really good.

It's hard to explain for me in English. Anyways lets wait 4 new patch.

Discard only thins the deck & I think with first light / last wish & many other faction cards thins the deck pretty nicely.

How ?
Things like Warcry (Doubles all weakened units strength) or Clan Tuirseach Axeman who gains strength when a unit is hurt

Tamacountry13;n7634950 said:
Things like Warcry (Doubles all weakened units strength) or Clan Tuirseach Axeman who gains strength when a unit is hurt

:facepalm:

Warcry is not a skellige card it's a neutral card which can be used by any faction. About damaging any faction can use Tremors + Warcry.

About Clan Tuirseach Axeman.. as i said it depends on specific cards. you need those cards to use that ability which makes it predictable so very easily countered even after used successfully as it's only a green strength.

panerola;n7633820 said:
I think that resurrection might be considered as an ability, and for Skellige is very powerful.

Once the patch is released, Skellige revival won't be viable for a while. Everyone and their nan will be playing Nilgaard and those Vicovaro medics...

TH3WITCH3R;n7635050 said:
:facepalm:

Warcry is not a skellige card it's a neutral card which can be used by any faction. About damaging any faction can use Tremors + Warcry.

About Clan Tuirseach Axeman.. as i said it depends on specific cards. you need those cards to use that ability which makes it predictable so very easily countered even after used successfully as it's only a green strength.
Thats right Warcry is a neutral lol, I only ever seen it in Skellige so yeah.

Yes is depends on certain cards but I can't think of any other fraction that can interact with hurt units or benefits from hurt units which is why it's the fractions special ability. Weather it's useful or not is another discussion

Well Skelige can buff base strength with their own units and they are best while using their own graveyard (NR has RNG , Monsters and Nilfgard can only affect enemy graveyard and Sciotael has only one card that works only on "dead" specials)

Well, SKE card get stronger each round.
how that for an ability that nobody have ?

they are the graveyard faction, after all.

my2cent.

Tamacountry13;n7635340 said:
Yes is depends on certain cards but I can't think of any other fraction that can interact with hurt units or benefits from hurt units which is why it's the fractions special ability. Weather it's useful or not is another discussion

As I & you said warcry is a neutral card so any faction can use it for their weekend units but they are not using it as their other abilities are pretty strong so they don't need it.

And what skellige benefit you are talking about? as par i remember only CT Axeman is getting benefit which is 2 strength card & easy kill for opp. plus it's only adds green strength... do you really think this is so strong & really considered as a skellige own special ability compare to other factions awesome abilities?

In how skellige opp. you saw this strategy ? as if you ask me actually there are few skellige players & most of them are using queens discard or weather + aard strategy but as I said early both strategies are so predictable now that every other opp. knows it as both strategies depends on 2 or more cards.

When it comes to strength through self weakening, you might want to recheck out the Skellige units: Units like Axeman, Raging Berserker, Berserker (turns into bear and gains strength for every weakened unit), Savage Bear do just that. Skirmishers too ... everytime you kill them, they come back stronger. Or War Longships (a unit gets destroyed or discarded... it fights back). Also certain units adress War Cry directly... Craite Warrios for example (which seem to get buffed soon). Clan Brokvar Archer too because you can weaken your own units by just one which is great for War Cry. And so on. There's a lot going on that goes in exactly that direction. The current meta just has made it difficult to play that way. At the start of the beta for example it worked quite well.

Siergain;n7635530 said:
Well Skelige can buff base strength with their own units and they are best while using their own graveyard (NR has RNG , Monsters and Nilfgard can only affect enemy graveyard and Sciotael has only one card that works only on "dead" specials)

Try to read...

Only shieldsmith can give +2 bs & as I said it depends on 2 cards as well now we have Mardroeme neutral card which gives +4 bs.

muetdhivers;n7635560 said:
Well, SKE card get stronger each round.
how that for an ability that nobody have ?

they are the graveyard faction, after all.

my2cent.

That's a faction ability which every other faction have bro..

NR - +2 to gold
Monster - Keep Random non-gold card at the end of each round
Soc. - Choosing Turn
Ng - Redraw one card at the end of each round

devivre;n7635890 said:
When it comes to strength through self weakening, you might want to recheck out the Skellige units: Units like Axeman, Raging Berserker, Berserker (turns into bear and gains strength for every weakened unit), Savage Bear do just that. Skirmishers too ... everytime you kill them, they come back stronger. Or War Longships (a unit gets destroyed or discarded... it fights back). Also certain units adress War Cry directly... Craite Warrios for example (which seem to get buffed soon). Clan Brokvar Archer too because you can weaken your own units by just one which is great for War Cry. And so on. There's a lot going on that goes in exactly that direction. The current meta just has made it difficult to play that way. At the start of the beta for example it worked quite well.

Nice... Thanks for telling me that again as I am playing skellige only but as it looks so simple & strong in words it's really not that simple or strong in real game as I said everything is depends on 1 or more cards which requires proper setup & luck too.
In this all card examples you given I only found Skirmisher is quite strong as it gains base strength but again killing skirmisher is not a big deal now days.

The whole purpose of this thread is too ask for a separate ability which is not going to be depends on specific cards so that it's less predictable & other faction not going to have it by any neutral cards.

Top Bottom