Clan Tuirseach Axeman + Savage Bear = Rage Thread

+
Clan Tuirseach Axeman + Savage Bear = Rage Thread

Because medics have been nerfed to 2 as soon as your opponent gets this on the table most of your cards are dead before you can do anything about it. In my last game as NR my opponent gave me a 4 card advantage to take round one... and I still couldn't win round 2 even with Phillipa since they also get buffed from her on their row. With only 2 axeman and two bears I put down 6 strength unit gain nothing. (I get 4 points on the board while he gains 4) Besides that Yen the lightning zapper is going on so every turn the highest value cards I put down are negated or in his favor while the lowest die before they can trigger.

This is worse than PFI or ST ever was. You'd think CDPR could catch unbalances like this in their testing which I can only assume is understaffed.

RAGE.

Here's hoping for a quick patch.

EDIT: KingBlackToof declared the axemen to be the most OP card in this patch:

https://youtu.be/jVzJeotD4gQ?t=8m12s

Last edited:
It's not as bad as PFI, there are more counters to it and those are also more readily available.
That said, yea it's a little over done.

They shouldn't gain power from the opposing side and go back to like they used to.
The axeman were already powerful back then, pure res was just better then so no one tried them.

nightweaver;n7702880 said:
It's not as bad as PFI

No... it's easily worse.

With PFI you could use either lacerate or mardroeme which were universally useful against any opponent to nullify or remove them.

The axemen start at 5 on round two.

Chaob_N7;n7703050 said:
No... it's easily worse.

With PFI you could use either lacerate or mardroeme which were universally useful against any opponent to nullify or remove them.

hahaha I am using axeman + bear & I lost 9 out of 10 rounds as I think 6 times I got Monster as a opp.

I can only say that you don't have any counter for this strategy in your deck even though there are many available. Just use dbomb or Igni or any counter of your choice after all it's just a green strength & not a base strength like PFI.

About medics I hope you know skellige medics starts with strength 1 & ends with strength 3 at last round where many says that resurrection is skellige main ability :/ :)

Last edited:
Chaob_N7;n7702780 said:
You'd think CDPR could catch unbalances like this in their testing which I can only assume is understaffed.

Why do you think you're here? It's a beta. They need to see it over time, and they don't care if you win. If they were going to test everything before they released it in a beta, they wouldn't need a beta. It took some of us losing 300 times to PFI before they got patched.

Chill man. The point of this is not for you to throw a hissy fit every time you lose. You're not entitled to fair in an unfinished environment.

TH3WITCH3R;n7703230 said:
hahaha I am using axeman + bear & I lost 9 out of 10 rounds as I think 6 times I got Monster as a opp.

I can only say that you don't have any counter for this strategy in your deck even though there are many available. Just use dbomb or Igni or any counter of your choice after all it's just a green strength & not a base strength like PFI.

I'm speaking of upper ranks, what rank are you playing in?

igni is single use and opponent usually has them at staggered strength, skellige can resurrect them multiple times so unless half my round 2 hand is removal they just come back.

dbomb resets but immediately buffs them so they are immediatly 6-9 each depending on how many buffed units he has on that row when you use dbomb

Last edited:
Chaob_N7;n7702780 said:
This is worse than PFI or ST ever was.
Yeah, several high rank streamers also mentioned how broken the axemen are during the weekend pre-release plays as well.
Today, I was watching a game between NR and Axemen SK. The NR player did really well in terms of thinning their deck and general counter-play. But even after all those good counters, the SK player resurrected 2 axemen in the last round, played Stammelford's Tremmors to gain an insane lead and finally win by around 10 points or so.

TH3WITCH3R;n7703230 said:
Even with most of these counters, there are several things that make the removals practically useless.
Firstly, you have to draw those cards. NR, ST, Monsters don't thin their decks that well after the patch, so with a bad draw, you could well end up not having enough counters.
Secondly, if the opponent has multiple Axemen, then it's almost impossible to counter all of them since their strengths can be easily distributed.
Also, weather is practically useless against them especially when they have multiple axemen and a few other units in that row, as it essentially buffs them even after debuff from weather.

Chaob_N7;n7703050 said:
No... it's easily worse.

To many resses and protection effects back then.
- Swipe did nothing but delay. Same as scorch if it didn't hit your stuff first.
- Madrone only hit one target, there were always 2 at least.
We had to stack madrone to even have a chance as it was the ONLY counter.

The numbers on axemen can get higher, but there are much more counters. And they reset when ressed.

Right now we have D-Bomb, shackles, Scorch, G:Ignie, that gold ST ambush I keep forgetting the name of, fog, Lock cards.
And I'm pretty sure I missed a few.

So no, It's definitely not worse.
Annoying and painful to play against if you don't have the tools required to deal with it: Yes, but not worse.

ingway;n7703140 said:
this is making me equally excited and worried to get into ranked matches

Yeah, be careful. Ranked is it's own special place.
:hai:

Chaob_N7;n7703410 said:
I'm speaking of upper ranks, what rank are you playing in?

igni is single use and opponent usually has them at staggered strength, skellige can resurrect them multiple times so unless half my round 2 hand is removal they just come back.

dbomb resets but immediately buffs them so they are immediatly 6-9 each depending on how many buffed units he has on that row when you use dbomb

I am on rank 7.. as it's beta I am really not playing for higher ranks.

You have to use those counter at end only. If you use them early then of course it's a bad move by you.

rams142857;n7703450 said:
Yay, the first 'Nerf X' thread of the new patch!
No, it is not. This is a "clearly broken gameplay" situation at its worst. In terms of its mechanics especially.

nightweaver;n7703480 said:
To many resses and protection effects back then.
- Swipe did nothing but delay. Same as scorch if it didn't hit your stuff first.
- Madrone only hit one target, there were always 2 at least.
We had to stack madrone to even have a chance as it was the ONLY counter.

The numbers on axemen can get higher, but there are much more counters. And they reset when ressed.

Right now we have D-Bomb, shackles, Scorch, G:Ignie, that gold ST ambush I keep forgetting the name of, fog, Lock cards.
And I'm pretty sure I missed a few.

All I can assume is that you are playing at lower ranks, it may sound good in your head but I've gone in even as ST with double use of d-bomb and between axemen + savage bear + yen the conjurer you absolutely cannot get anything on the table nor remove his units when he has so many resurrects nor does resetting to base help when they instantaneously buff.

In the top 500-1,500 on the ranked ladder last season I had no trouble with PFI whatsoever, this new combo can't be beat unless he fails to draw them.

InvisibleArrow;n7703470 said:
Yeah, several high rank streamers also mentioned how broken the axemen are during the weekend pre-release plays as well.
Today, I was watching a game between NR and Axemen SK. The NR player did really well in terms of thinning their deck and general counter-play. But even after all those good counters, the SK player resurrected 2 axemen in the last round, played Stammelford's Tremmors to gain an insane lead and finally win by around 10 points or so.

Even with most of these counters, there are several things that make the removals practically useless.

As I said in 1st round with SBear you really can't use medics as they are 1 strength only.

InvisibleArrow;n7703470 said:
Firstly, you have to draw those cards. NR, ST, Monsters don't thin their decks that well after the patch, so with a bad draw, you could well end up not having enough counters.
Secondly, if the opponent has multiple Axemen, then it's almost impossible to counter all of them since their strengths can be easily distributed.
Also, weather is practically useless against them especially when they have multiple axemen and a few other units in that row, as it essentially buffs them even after debuff from weather.

Nice.. so skellige is op i think hahahaha

Chaob_N7;n7703730 said:
All I can assume is that you are playing at lower ranks, it may sound good in your head but I've gone in even as ST with double use of d-bomb and between axemen + savage bear + yen the conjurer you absolutely cannot get anything on the table nor remove his units when he has so many resurrects nor does resetting to base help when they instantaneously buff.

In the top 500-1,500 on the ranked ladder last season I had no trouble with PFI whatsoever, this new combo can't be beat unless he fails to draw them.

Ranks haven't established yet, and I face mostly weather decks in lower ranks. (Never played ranked before, usually watch streams for that. I'm just not the competitive type.)
I've faced plenty of these decks (and their variants) in casual play however.

My deck just happens to counter it really well so far, same for weather spam decks. (Scoia'tael deck)
I run yen myself too btw, I know how powerful it is. It is just fairly easy for my deck to chunk out a D-bomb and two scorches (and/or shiru) every game, the rest is just timing.

This is my deck right now btw: http://www.gwentdb.com/deckbuilder/...:4:1;50115:2:1;50117:2:1;50125:1:3;50202:3:1;

As much as I like giving my impressions about new changes I can't really be happy to see people asking for another patch for a situation that is 2 days old.
Like if making a new patch is easier than you changing your deck to adapt the changes.

I've tried playing the said combo. But it is based on luck. If you have only one bear and one axeman you win maybe one round and after that it's hard.
You can't really thin you deck that much if you also want to have cards to weaken units.

In the end, okay so you can't kill a bear or you can't use weather or scorch or dimetrium bomb on the right time, okay this card doesn't gain base strengh so when it come back from graveyard he is as good as crap, okay you don't know when to pass so you don't waste cards when the opponent set up bear axeman combo, okay when in second round he resurect them you still have nothing to deal with them, okay you deck only gazes at his own navel. And okay we will make a patch for all that. Sorry.

Anyway find solutions and if you really can't, if the said combo breaks the whole meta, come back, build a good argument and this will be solved.
I used to play King bran and war longship. Not that big of a deck but still won lots of game to people not passing turn when i had 2 ships on the board. Trying to add strengh on the board while losing 8 per turn whit me just playing normal cards, that were bad without the combo on.

I think the team that work on this game is trying things. This our part to try hard too before the feedback.

nightweaver;n7703930 said:
(Never played ranked before, usually watch streams for that. I'm just not the competitive type.)
I've faced plenty of these decks (and their variants) in casual play however.

My deck just happens to counter it really well so far, same for weather spam decks.

Cool, you play for fun that's fine. My point is that the players higher up on the ladder have a good handle on playing this game, it's not at all like casual or low/non-ranked play.

The reason it doesn't seem like a big deal to you and the reason you think what you are saying makes sense is because of where you are playing and the skill level of those players.

Chaob_N7;n7704020 said:
Cool, you play for fun that's fine. My point is that the players higher up on the ladder have a good handle on playing this game, it's not at all like casual or low/non-ranked play.

The reason it doesn't seem like a big deal to you and the reason you think what you are saying makes sense is because of where you are playing and the skill level of those players.

Actually I respectfully disagree.
Of all the ranked games I played I lost 2. Both because of my own dumb mistake. I've gone up from rank 1 row 5 in less than two hours, and I'm nowhere near done.

Like I said, I never played ranked. Doesn't mean I'm a bad player: I just never cared for it.

Actually, the sole reason I'm now doing ranked is to shove it right back to those that think ranked mather's more than casual.
Not to mention how often I see rank 14 streamers/youtubers make even the most basic mistakes that should have costed them the game. (It's really painful sometimes.)

All I'm trying to say is: Don't judge people based on nothing but prejudice.

Either Way, I'm going off topic here so I'll leave it at that.
:waryscoiatael:

The only thing that annoys me a bit is that CDPR released it like that even though issues were that obvious this weekend. Same with cards like Yennefer Conjurer.

In general I agree that Axeman feels a bit like PFI but I wouldn't say it's as stupid.
It's just a very messed up card.

Top Bottom