You Ruined NR

+
You Ruined NR

It is a simple question for the developers: why are you killing this nice faction called NR? No useful new cards, constantly dropped values; I am getting butchered dammit. Should I get a fucking Monster Weather Deck too? Or should I build a deck of that super-smart faction where everyone comes back from death? Or should I get those minority terrorists who never leave the battlefield (I have no idea why)?
Well, frankly I am frustrated with seeing the same tactics in each game. The game should be more flexible.

Lul, if you play ranked in xbox live, you see only weather deks, and with the demeritrum bomb update ours NR deks no have chance..

Radovid is the single most played deck I meet. (12/27 in the last matches I played). It's very strong, so what is your exact point regarding NR?

I don't have Radovid, I am using Foltest. So nope, have no idea about this Radovid control. I am beating Radovids easily whenever I see one. But 4 out of 5 of my games are against Monster decks. My exact point is; I feel like it is very easy to prevent NR strategies from growing, and the faction has little ways to protect itself. Don't know. For me the game is becoming more and more limited-linear. The spontaneity is dying. A layman opinion to make things better, if you will.

fatihseloglu;n7783980 said:
I don't have Radovid, I am using Foltest. So nope, have no idea about this Radovid control. I am beating Radovids easily whenever I see one. But 4 out of 5 of my games are against Monster decks. My exact point is; I feel like it is very easy to prevent NR strategies from growing, and the faction has little ways to protect itself. Don't know. For me the game is becoming more and more limited-linear. The spontaneity is dying. A layman opinion to make things better, if you will.
You mean the only faction that can actually promote its units to protect it from removals and weather?( It would be really nice if you could provide a deck you struggle with, as well as its ranking. Im pretty sure there is alot of weather on lower ranks, sure. But that shouldnt bother you for long.

Radovid is clearly the only viable NR deck at the moment. Foltest and Henselt just can't reliably put out enough power to competed with Dwarves or Monster consume. CDPR has does just about everything they could to kill Promote strategies, and they've largely succeeded. Henselt was barely used last patch and is barely used this patch. And the card they're adding make almost no sense, look at what NR has gotten in the last two patches:

Dethmold - No one uses
Kaedweni Siege Expert - No one uses
Triss Butterfly - No one uses
Keira Metz - No one uses
Trololo - No one uses
Temerian Foot Soldier - Current staple.

So in the last two patches, the only card that gets any regular play is a freakin' 4 strength bronze muster.

Last edited:
He wasn't complaining as much about NR(Radovid decks) in particular as the lack of variations.

Sure Radovid is strong, but you all are simply saying more or less: "Hey, the northern realms faction has this one strong Radovid meta deck. It is pretty good which in terms means that NR faction is good."

If it was to be like that, then this game is ready to launch since Skellige has 2 good decks, NR has 1 radovid deck, Squirrels have dwarves and the monsters have 2 and a half good decks. That's it, all factions have strong builds therefore lets get out of beta, launch the game and all have fun together with the amazing variety and strategy rich- skill rewarding enviroment that gwent offers us. :)

Regardless of updates, factions always have 1.5 playable decks:rage:

Before last patch:

NR - radovid control and hipster foltest ( with almost the same bronze and silvers like radovid).
Skellige - stacked third row with buffed longships.
SC - "be strong my love dance of death ha ha ha" with very small variations of silvers and golds.
Monsters - Weather\Ge'els hybrid deck.

After last patch:

NR - same radovid.
Skellige - Axemen with over9000 damaging cards.
SC - Dwarfs.
Monsters - consume\weather spam.
Nilf - Voorhis with Kagir and Rot Tosser abuse.

At least in ranked games everything pretty much like this...

Oh boy, here we go again. Someone who doesn´t even have all leaders yet and plays but one faction is complaining about devs "killing" his favorite faction.

"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves, that we are underlings."

I've been using a weird Radovid mix deck for months now, not really a control type. I win most of the time. Just try to adjust your deck with each new patch to account for the changes.

He's right in that noone uses Foltest these days. I've been logging all the opponents I play against, and there has been exactly zero Foltest and zero Henselt in 42 games, when one would expect an average of 3 of each. So, NR is not ruined at all, but Foltest and Henselt are indeed useless or unused.

LDiCesare;n7797530 said:
He's right in that noone uses Foltest these days. I've been logging all the opponents I play against, and there has been exactly zero Foltest and zero Henselt in 42 games, when one would expect an average of 3 of each. So, NR is not ruined at all, but Foltest and Henselt are indeed useless or unused.

I'd say the main reason for that is the current meta. If CDPR manages to reduce the control aspect of the game a bit then I'm sure you'll see more of Foltest and Henselt again. The NR cards are still very very powerful! Even most of the new cards are really not bad at all! Dethmold for example... he can banish special cards too, not only units...

I think one big problem Henselt still has is that the setup takes too much time which gives the opponent too much opportunity to block your actions. In a control heavy environment of course that makes him not very viable. I still find Henselt decks very very interesting though!

But NR and broken... I don't see it :).

Last edited:
But you look at Dethmold and he's a silver gryphon with more strength. Not to mention banishing something out of the graveyard is only valuable against a handful of decks, so in reality he's little more than a 9 strength vanilla card. He offers up no synergy whatsoever with NR. The best explanation for that card is that NR doesn't have 10 strength silver like other factions, so this fills that roll.

ThreePi;n7799900 said:
But you look at Dethmold and he's a silver gryphon with more strength. Not to mention banishing something out of the graveyard is only valuable against a handful of decks, so in reality he's little more than a 9 strength vanilla card. He offers up no synergy whatsoever with NR. The best explanation for that card is that NR doesn't have 10 strength silver like other factions, so this fills that roll.

He's great against SK, ST (to get rid of certain specials...) and NR so that's really good enough for me.

In a NR control deck I do think he definitely makes sense.

All of the NR leaders are shite. Foltest can't even duplicate disloyal units so against nilfguard he is useless, also he can only duplicate a bronze card so almost any damaging card can counter act it. Radovid is again useless when you realize he is the equivalent to playing a gold 8 or lower if all the opponents have points lower than 8, just bait him to use it early and play more effective cards after that like yen con. Then henselt is a fancy promote, there are not too many cards in NR that go on one row and if you build up all your forces on one row you will get lacerations constantly making promoting them pointless, not to mention he can be counter acted very easily with dimeritium bomb.
P.s. Then with the added disability that NR don't get a mid turn bonus makes NR a very weak deck in comparison to monsters or nilfguard.

Radovid control is shit to me now. A good NG or ST deck can beat me anytime. The problem with Radovid control deck is when it's - ironically - out of control, NR can do nothing to swing power back.
Really the nerf on Field Medic and Reaver Scout, as minor as it seems, has killed many good combos.

ThreePi;n7784100 said:
CDPR has does just about everything they could to kill Promote strategies, and they've largely succeeded.

And it's great! In the previous update NR was all about bringing large numbers out and having zero interaction with the opponent's board. CDPR did a really good job at making NR more reactive (by buffing Pavetta and nerfing Medics, among other things).

Playing against PFI and/or promote decks was not fun (even when you won), since all those decks were basically the same.

I just changed back to legendary Henselt golden show and Hipster Foltest and IT IS SO MUCH FUN !!! The wins are so satisfying and fireworks are all over the place.

Top Bottom