Somthing I fear with this new Patch gold cards will be harder to target.

+
Somthing I fear with this new Patch gold cards will be harder to target.

issues this brings

1, changes to cards like, rav and triss merry gold so they can only target non golds make golds like kambi and yen con golds with timers mostly Very powerful.
2. D bomb and shackles become must run cards to stop kambi yen con, and bork a making decks feel the same and hurting deck diversity.

3 this makes Gold cards All round much more important and new players that only have 1 or 2 gold cards will feel cheated when they lose because gold cards are harder to stop now.

that's all I really think of right now but this change seems very short sided and I feel the meta will shift to very power and game changing Golds Because they are so hard to stop

The removal of cards ability to target golds is the main change in the patch that i really, really dont agree with. Borkh is about to get a hell of alot stronger - And he's already pretty damn strong.

YenCon has been nerfed herself so isnt as big a problem (can only ever hit 1 unit a time) so isnt TOO bad. But Triss/Iorveth/Roche just got a lot, lot worse (Radovid is just completely shit and nerfed beyond a joke imo) and i can see this change being reversed.

Rykov123;n8089320 said:
The removal of cards ability to target golds is the main change in the patch that i really, really dont agree with. Borkh is about to get a hell of alot stronger - And he's already pretty damn strong.

YenCon has been nerfed herself so isnt as big a problem (can only ever hit 1 unit a time) so isnt TOO bad. But Triss/Iorveth/Roche just got a lot, lot worse (Radovid is just completely shit and nerfed beyond a joke imo) and i can see this change being reversed.

Radovid is actually better now because you can now also use him to remove morkvarg or olgierd permanently (at least for the following rounds). Also you can still use him with shackles, sergent or D-bomb to stop villentrentenmerth (if you need to). You can also use him to remove resilience on a buffed Mahakam defender or once of those annoying buffed NG resilient units ect. On average that is much stronger than just removing 8 points. Overall he will be much more versatile and i think i will use him more often after the patch. I think all in all the balancing will be better after the patch.

Last edited:
Rykov123;n8089920 said:
Removing 4 is far, far to low. The same could be done with the now 7 strength cleaver + d bomb/shackles, radovids only perk is that your 100% guarenteed of having him, which is it enough to justify using him over Henselt when the new patch hits? I dont think so personally.. If they took the gold damage off of him they should of let him keep the non-gold damage. 4 damage + lock for a leader is very, very weak imo.

Evilknievel82;n8089890 said:
Radovid is actually better now because you can now also use him to remove morkvarg or olgierd permanently (at least for the following rounds). Also you can still use him with shackles, sergent or D-bomb to stop villentrentenmerth (if you need to). You can also use him to remove resilience on a buffed Mahakam defender or once of those annoying buffed NG resilient units ect. On average that is much stronger than just removing 8 points. Overall he will be much more versatile and i think i will use him more often after the patch. I think all in all the balancing will be better after the patch.

rav now says Non gold though that's huge ciri blink, yen con, kambi, can not be hit that's a downgrade not an upgrade.

The value of leaders is determined by how consistent they are. Radovid got so much play because of how consistent 8 damage is, you're going to get good value out of it pretty much every game. Radovid now is entirely dependent on the opponent having an important, non-gold card on the table. He'll have very inconsistent value with a very low ceiling.

Henselt only became quasi-viable with Pavetta spam which is getting nerfed and Foltest is just straight bad. The current trend of this patch is to weaken an already weak faction.

tonight i was going to smash 10 kegs and give some love to my much neglected NR deck in hopes of a superb control deck with radovid, roche, triss, alzur's thunders, D-bombs/shackles, scorch, igni, pevetta, epidemic and gold turning NR units. there is no point anymore, infact there is no point in MS consumes either with nerf on crones and nekkers.
i think ill stick to my MS weather.

Last edited:
Rykov123;n8089320 said:
YenCon has been nerfed herself so isnt as big a problem (can only ever hit 1 unit a time) so isnt TOO bad.

pretty sure 5str "deal 1 damage per turn" is pretty terrible... that's the same ability as reinforced trebuchet (with the patch) on a gold card...

Rykov123;n8089320 said:
But Triss/Iorveth/Roche just got a lot, lot worse

yep... the whole purpose of gold cards dealing damage is that they can deal damage to other gold cards... why spend a gold slot on iroveth if you get nothing more than a thunder with a mediocre body

RickMelethron;n8091140 said:
pretty sure 5str "deal 1 damage per turn" is pretty terrible... that's the same ability as reinforced trebuchet (with the patch) on a gold card...

yep... the whole purpose of gold cards dealing damage is that they can deal damage to other gold cards... why spend a gold slot on iroveth if you get nothing more than a thunder with a mediocre body

When i said "isnt too bad" i meant she isnt going to be too much of a problem anymore, as she's been sledgehammer nerfed into redundancy. :)

Exactly, Theres no reason to run Iorveth or Triss really anymore, Roche..maybe as he's got a decent body with the NR passive but eh,

The nerfs in this patch seem really badly thought out. The Witchers are now only 4 points better than Temerian foot soldiers despite taking 3 silver slots. Gold damage cards are just mediocre and no longer have a reason to be ran. Radovid...just...yeah. I really dont know why cleavers been buffed either, his effect + a 5 body was perfectly fine and he was included in a fair few decks, even before the locking buffs.

I dont get this patch at all.

I worry about design space. Before you could have gold cards that were, on their own, a win condition, you just had to keep their strength around 4 so they could be targeted by Triss/Roche/Iorveth. Now you can't do that lest the card be completely broken.

I think a better route would have been to realize that points via damaging your opponents units was more valuable than pure base strength, and adjusting Triss/Roche/Iorveth's base strength accordingly.

It seems they want to go back to the old gold mentality of being a more reliable "safe" strength value. Playing devils advocate regarding the argument of "this cards ability can be done by this other silver or bronze card" the tradeoff is those cards can be removed with one card. With these changes it would take a minimum of 2 cards to remove them. Most of the time thats not gonna be worth the effort. Making the gold the safer play.

That being said i was bummed about the news as well but ill wait and see how it plays out and maybe itll all be fine.

rajule;n8091260 said:
It seems they want to go back to the old gold mentality of being a more reliable "safe" strength value. Playing devils advocate regarding the argument of "this cards ability can be done by this other silver or bronze card" the tradeoff is those cards can be removed with one card. With these changes it would take a minimum of 2 cards to remove them. Most of the time thats not gonna be worth the effort. Making the gold the safer play.

That being said i was bummed about the news as well but ill wait and see how it plays out and maybe itll all be fine.

The trouble is with it, we've now got some gold cards that are just near worthless for the slot. Like Rick said, Iorveth now is just a slightly weaker Thunder on a basic body - He no longer really has the arguement to take up a gold slot with that. I mean Triss/Roche/Iorveth could be getting changed as well in the gap between this and the launch? Doubtful but maybe.

Personally, as i've said on reddit, I think this cant damage gold change is sooner or later going to be reversed. If not...well we'll have to see how it goes but it *could* be the start of very unhealthy issues.

I mean i might well change my mind in the morning after a good sleep, but currently looking at it - this patch looks pretty bad. (Plus the new board UI looks absoloutely horrendous)

Rykov123;n8091200 said:
I really dont know why cleavers been buffed either, his effect + a 5 body was perfectly fine and he was included in a fair few decks, even before the locking buffs.
I don't agree with the change either but I think due to the fact that Locking effects are going to become more prevalent, they figured that vanilla + locking cards could stand a boost in strength since there will now be more powerful alternatives to achieve that same effect. That's just my assumption though, because Auckes was also buffed to 9 from 7.

There are two issues here:
1) Gold units can no longer be damaged directly.
2) Because legendary snipers can no longer hit gold targets.

The first might be okay. But the 2nd really kills the usefulness of some cards. Because of this, they should receive some kind of buff.

I don't get the changes to be honest. Yes dimeritium shackles were not used very often because gold removal was available, but is that a reason to kill other gold cards ? Dimeritium shackles were not often used because golds are mostly ETB effects, so there was no point in controlling them other than by removing (by playing 1 card) them as their effect already triggered... If they wanted to nerf these gold killers but keep them in play, why didn't they change it to affect base STR instead of STR ? Or the best solution, a mix of the two types of damage ? I would consider playing Iorveth if his effect was to remove 2STR and 4 Base STR for a non-gold unit or some other ratio of the sort.... Now there's no point. A shackles + alzur's gets the job done better, and saves up gold slots....

Knightlon;n8092770 said:
How about we stop ranting and whining and wait until the patch gets released instead?

because if several other games have (and several other gwent balance patches) have shown us anything, is that when everyone sees a glaring problem with upcoming changes, the changed cards never end up being garbage...

Top Bottom