First Impressions post patch

+
First Impressions post patch

TLDR: so far so good.

positioning is very nice. adds a deeper mechanic and more strategy to the game. working as intended it seems.

taunts seem to be working fine imo. (first 2 matches I forgot it was there) but the swagger/menace ect seem tame enough and being able to praise a good play or say thanks is nice. no abuse of the system that I noticed but it's still a young game option.

locking is going to be a huge part of the game now and I tend to agree with this thought...

4RM3D;n8199500 said:
Locking is an interesting mechanic. It essentially destroys the unit's ability rather than the unit itself. Because of this, you'll get a whole different dynamic in games. But as it stands now, it's not in the place it should be.
I'm sure the dev's will be watching it closely.

most of my decks haven't needed too many changes but will need to see how the meta reforms it's self and adjust as needed.

the new board and all the other QoL changes are very nice. collection screen is much better now, more stream lined, easier to navigate.
tho load times between screens have gone up quite a bit and keep getting kicked out of casual MM after 3 or 4 seconds.

overall the changes look good to me and looking forward to seeing what's next for gwent.

Last edited:
surprisingly after playing more than 30 matches both ranked and casual i did not feel the game turning into a locking game, there was occasional shackle for locking and cleaver or auckes for unlocking or vice versa but nothing too crazy. there was 1 game however against a scoiatael deck who used ithlene, cleaver, shackles which was annoying. and i'm actually happy people didn't take the locking so serious. almost same with mardrome, i think i saw 1 opponent using it once.

Ruthless95;n8205920 said:
surprisingly after playing more than 30 matches both ranked and casual i did not feel the game turning into a locking game, there was occasional shackle for locking and cleaver or auckes for unlocking or vice versa but nothing too crazy. there was 1 game however against a scoiatael deck who used ithlene, cleaver, shackles which was annoying. and i'm actually happy people didn't take the locking so serious. almost same with mardrome, i think i saw 1 opponent using it once.

I saw basically the same as you with locking. had a chance to unlock a cleaver with a cleaver, then they decoyed him and I did the same ( kinda cool actually). but the patch is only a day old so might see more locking control decks down the road. we'll see.

My impressions: Dimeritium Shackles more powerful of the best gold card. Use DS an win all rounds. Very boring patch. Impossible to play. 430 hours of beta gameplay to destroy a game. Very disappointed.

Reminder: No matter how bad this patch is (or not), it's not the final state of the game.

Skellige got hit super hard by this patch in my opinion. It didn't directly get nerfed, but so much stuff is just straight up better than it now. Back to the old days of fighting uphill battle. Clan Dimund Pirate Captains are mathmatically inferior to the Clan Heymaey Skald. The CHS nerf hit one of the most viable decks super hard. I think non cerys bran decks are killed so badly by this patch. As a matter of fact I think the only viable Skellige decks left is Cery's decks. It also killed gerlat ard with coral.

They nerfed the CHS which is a key component of the non cerys bran decks and there is no other good bronze unit to fill its gap. I think they intended for pirate captain to take up its mantel, but it's just not going to work. The CHS currently is a total of str 10. If you have bad luck as skellige and the minimum amount of discards with bran used gets the captains up to 7 str cards. Hypothetically if everything goes good you can get them higher. On average str 9 but if everything goes perfect hypothetically as high as str 13 cards. That is a big if. The old CHS buffed everything in the row which was just enough to make this style of deck viable, but now it's dead. They are just basically str 10 cards now with no utility and this deck archetype has no other bronze card to fill in the loss of CHS as pirate captain is simply not up to the task and requires too much support.

I have none of the silvers or golds to make a cery's deck eitherl. Naturally. My gwent mood is killed. Also the game is crashing and freezing a lot. I'm not sure if I like positioning or not yet. Overall not a great patch from a Skellige main perspective.

Last edited:
After playing with Morkvarg for a couple matches I can safely say they killed the card :facepalm:

The only buff Skellige got was to Raging Berserker wich seems like a fine addition to Axeman decks :cheers:

Shuls02;n8208200 said:
After playing with Morkvarg for a couple matches I can safely say they killed the card :facepalm:

The only buff Skellige got was to Raging Berserker wich seems like a fine addition to Axeman decks :cheers:
Skillege got a buff buffs actually.
An Craite Warriors only deal 1 damage to themselves now which puts them at 8 (16 after a Warcry)
Raging Bears work great in that deck to as they are a 13 base strength card in round 3 if you played them in round 1.

Queensguard went back up to three which nullifies the King Bran nerf if you discarded them

I'd classify the Donar change as a buff as well

I didn't like it much, the pre-patch games were a tight and exciting fight for board with lots of off-meta cool combos. But patch stirs the game to playing solitaire and occasional BDSM shackles shenanigans. Killing off the ability to snipe down golden cards is also highly questionable decision.

Top Bottom