The Mulligan System Explained

+
During the CB the mulligan system worked exactly as explained in the infographic of the OP. I could make good use of this.

In OB though, I don't thinki it works the same anymore. My experience with it is as what Makhil says above. Something must have changed and I cannot figure out what.

On a slightly related note, the "randomness" seems a bit wonky with Medics, too. Maybe something overall concerning randomness was changed in the game?

guison;n8413780 said:
Wtf so it was purposely giving me the cards I traded out again!??? Fuck me I knew that shit was broken or something. That was the most annoying thing ever i didnt know it did it on purpose. Why would they do that it seems so stupid. I mulligan the card for a reason. I changed my deck completely and had to get rid of cards like roach or reaver scout and all sorts of stuff. Anything that would suck to get redrawn I dont use anymore because I thought that was broken and always giving those cards to me. What an awful design that has to be an accident or just a rogue troll programmer. Hope it gets fixed.

And this is absolutely horse shit. What if I get three Shieldmaiden in my hand? What if I get three temerian infantry and I want to use them in round 2? Well I can't. Then I HAVE to play them round 1 to not get them back as drawn card after the end of round 1, losing a huge swing (and swings aren't that many in a Morkvarg deck for example).
If I mulligan a card IT'S BECAUSE I DON'T WANT IT. It's absolutely stupid to force you to get it back next turn, especially when so many cards in factions like SK and RN (my two favorites, yes) are played directly from the deck.

I'm also really wondering how the "randomly" draw a bronze unit from your deck work. I can't count how many times I've got back a mulliganed card while using rally (again, if I mulliganed it, it's because I don't need it right now)... Or a medic bringing back the card I just got rid off but minus the buffs (Foltest + Sergeants), which is absolutely pathetic! NR are already at a disavantage, but CDPR is basically screwing then even more with that kind of hidden BS, while greatly advantaging NG (because they can basically know which cards are on top of the deck and reshuffle them if necessary... And that's not something other factions can do).

It kills randomness and just help meme decks like Ciri dash or "LOL Tibor!".

a_page06;n8414350 said:
Its pretty apparent that this is not what happens in Gwent, so then why would one assume that after mulligan cards get put into the deck the deck gets shuffled? Another game?

MTG if I remember correctly (it's been a while since I've played it). Unless stated that the card should go at the bottom of the deck (then there is no reshuffle).

Last edited:
Worst thing about mulligan, IMO

I still find this a problem actually, and it annoys the heck out of me.

The mulligan at the start of the game: I have 3 Ancient Foglets in my deck. I mulligan it first, I get a different card for sure (black-listing). I mulligan another card, I get an Ancient Foglet (this annoys me a lot, considering I have around 20 other cards xD )

The mulligan after first round: I mulligan a Bloodcurdling Roar (I find it situational), if I use a card that draws another card from deck, or perhaps after second round card draw, I get it the Bloodcurdling Roar again out of many other cards I have in my deck.

I promise this happens more often then not to me, not necessarily with those cards.
I am unlucky when it comes to chance, so there's that xD

I am sure if they fix this problem, I would occasionally wish I could get the card I just mulliganed because the tables would turn on me.

This problem could oddly be avoided with less cards in the deck, I think.

What do you guys think, should mulligan change a bit?

MoeC;n8857570 said:
I still find this a problem actually, and it annoys the heck out of me.

The mulligan at the start of the game: I have 3 Ancient Foglets in my deck. I mulligan it first, I get a different card for sure (black-listing). I mulligan another card, I get an Ancient Foglet (this annoys me a lot, considering I have around 20 other cards xD

No you don't. If you mulligan an Ancient Foglet on your first card, then you can not get an Ancient Foglet as card two or three of the opening mulligan. This is what is meant by blacklisting. If you mulligan a card, you can not draw it or another version of it, until the start of the round.

frbfree;n8857690 said:
No you don't. If you mulligan an Ancient Foglet on your first card, then you can not get an Ancient Foglet as card two or three of the opening mulligan. This is what is meant by blacklisting. If you mulligan a card, you can not draw it or another version of it, until the start of the round.

Well I am telling you as a fact it did happen to me more than once, and there are others on the forums that complained about this as well

MoeC;n8857770 said:
Well I am telling you as a fact it did happen to me more than once,

impossible, since the game, as mentioned previously, makes you unable to draw copies of the same card. i've played a lot of NG and never get a single golem after tossing the first one.

either you're confusing ancient foglets and regular foglets, or you should file a bug report

If you are referring to the fact that you draw a card you blacklisted in future rounds, then blacklisting only stays in effect for the round you mulligan in. However, if you are redrawing cards you blacklisted in the same mulligan round that would in fact, be a bug. You should not be able to redraw any cards you blacklisted in the same mulligan round. There are cards that might confused you, like Crones, Harpies, Foglets/Ancient, and such that have similar names but are separate cards.

TLDR:
Blacklisting only prevents you from redrawing that card during that round's mulligan. All other draw effects and rounds are fair game.

irstaxer;n8857940 said:
If you are referring to the fact that you draw a card you blacklisted in future rounds, then blacklisting only stays in effect for the round you mulligan in. However, if you are redrawing cards you blacklisted in the same mulligan round that would in fact, be a bug. You should not be able to redraw any cards you blacklisted in the same mulligan round. There are cards that might confused you, like Crones, Harpies, Foglets/Ancient, and such that have similar names but are separate cards.

TLDR:
Blacklisting only prevents you from redrawing that card during that round's mulligan. All other draw effects and rounds are fair game.

Yes, I am aware, I guess it could have been a bug.

Cards you mulligan out are also more likely to seem to "float" back to the top because blacklisting makes the mulligan draw skip their copies, so if you send a card back to the deck you have a bunch of scenarios that make it more likely to be drawn in the next round/by a card that draws from the top of the deck. You might soon draw a copy that was skipped, the card might have landed back near the top, even if nothing of that happens you just got a different card from the mulligan and the blacklisted ones are one card closer to the top, plus at the end of the first round mulligan you probably already went through 18 cards so the three or more you are trying to not draw directly are a huge chunk of the remaining ones...

The mulligan and its consequences, and building a deck that manages to benefit from it instead of just running in circles, is a huge part of the game, and one of the least in need of a change. In fact it's probably the most well developed major card draw mechanic.

ebrl;n8858860 said:
Cards you mulligan out are also more likely to seem to "float" back to the top because blacklisting makes the mulligan draw skip their copies, so if you send a card back to the deck you have a bunch of scenarios that make it more likely to be drawn in the next round/by a card that draws from the top of the deck. You might soon draw a copy that was skipped, the card might have landed back near the top, even if nothing of that happens you just got a different card from the mulligan and the blacklisted ones are one card closer to the top, plus at the end of the first round mulligan you probably already went through 18 cards so the three or more you are trying to not draw directly are a huge chunk of the remaining ones...

The mulligan and its consequences, and building a deck that manages to benefit from it instead of just running in circles, is a huge part of the game, and one of the least in need of a change. In fact it's probably the most well developed major card draw mechanic.

Well said, mate. Thank you

I especially agree about the deck building, hence having a deck with less cards will counter this dilemma

Last edited:
MoeC I've merged your thread with another one that explains the mulligan system.

frbfree;n8857690 said:
No you don't. If you mulligan an Ancient Foglet on your first card, then you can not get an Ancient Foglet as card two or three of the opening mulligan.

This is false. I've mulliganed a golem only to get another one back, which confirms what's written in this post.

Last edited:
4RM3D;n8859260 said:
MoeC I've merged your thread with another one that explains the mulligan system.

This is false. I've mulliganed a golem only to get another one back, which confirms what's written in this post.

Thanks, I apologies if I was supposed to post in this thread to begin with.

I am glad someone finally concurred :)

4RM3D;n8859260 said:

The general consensus is that blacklisting does not work this way. With all respect to Merchant and everyone else, personal experience (over 1200 matches) tells me that the following threads are accurate. However, if you have something from a Dev that states specifically how it works, I would hear it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/5ud3e1/gwent_concepts_blacklisting/?st=j3s97nc3&sh=a33687c2
https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comm...g_sequencing_a_video/?st=j3s9e04n&sh=f0017181
https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comm...rd_i_multiganed_away/?st=j3s9fpp7&sh=2f1c99cd

frbfree;n8860560 said:
The general consensus is that blacklisting does not work this way. With all respect to Merchant and everyone else, personal experience (over 1200 matches) tells me that the following threads are accurate. However, if you have something from a Dev that states specifically how it works, I would hear it.

It seems the order of blacklisting is important too. That is something not clearly stated in the OP diagram. I'll keep an eye out for things and see if I can confirm what's explained in the video. For now, I've added the video to the OP. The other one you've listed isn't as good at explaining things.

initial draw mulliganed card is at the top of the deck?

I mostly play NG, and I've noticed several times that when I draw/replace a card at the start of the match, most of the time that dropped card is what my Impera Enforcer shows when I play that. It's particularly obvious when I mulliganed a Gold card, and it turns out that is the top card.

Is the deck shuffled after draw/replace at the beginning of the match/round? It's happened to me on round 2 or 3 as well.

Playing: NG starter deck, slightly modified in casual match

Top Bottom