New player's beta feedback, part 2: Take it slow, buddy!

+
New player's beta feedback, part 2: Take it slow, buddy!

Greetings, I am Mister Scallywag, and I would like to bring up a point that has been mentioned before, but I think it applies to more than just event cards: How hasty this game can be.

Game pacing is an important element of how a game feels. Video game developers need to craft their UIs with great care to make sure the game feels good to use, even if the UI is entirely peripheral. And so far, GWENT is doing rather well, except for its hastiness. The game sometimes deals with everything so quickly that I have trouble understanding what just happened. This is especially true with event cards. As other players have mentioned before, it is nigh impossible to see which event cards your opponent plays without looking at the turn history or their discard pile. Sure, once you know all cards and what the current meta is like, this is not tht much of an issue, but for new players, this is confusing.

The real reason why I bring this up though is because I think something similar can be seen in other parts of the game. For example, if I play a Scoia'tel deck and finish doing my mulligan after my opponent does, I am be presented with my faction ability's prompt before I get to see what I got from my final redraw. This lack of information may in some cases prevent me from making an informed desicion. Other times, when my opponent concedes, I am presented with the result-screen immediately. Imagine playing a round and - BAM! You win. Just like that. That's not a huge problem, but it is irritating.

I understand that you may try to avoid making your game too sluggish, but I urge you: Please, slow down a bit. Take the time to communicate everything that happens. It will make the game much smoother.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. Not seeing my cards playing ST has bugged me aswell and sometimes i would like to take a look at the board a bit longer after the game is over.

I'm approaching level 50 and rank 12 and have been playing the beta for months (so can't be considered a new player) but I do agree with the OP. Some things seem really rushed when playing - the main one for me is when you mulligan your last card and you have no time to see the new card that has been drawn as the game immediately moves into round 1. You have to take a moment to look at your deck and try to figure out what is different.

They said cards displaying after being played was being worked on, but I'm too lazy to go dig through Reddit and link it. They want to give cards custom particles as well (which will be pretty awesome looking and add to knowing what card was played). Hopefully something big gets fixed this coming patch (weather, animations, displaying cards played, optimization, RECONNECT FEATURE, NR rework) as they have been very very quiet as of what is being worked on recently.

Herr-Tunichtgut;n8402190 said:
For example, if I play a Scoia'tel deck and finish doing my mulligan after my opponent does, I am be presented with my faction ability's prompt before I get to see what I got from my final redraw. This lack of information may in some cases prevent me from making an informed desicion.

As a ST player, it is best if you skip your faction ability (FA) in R1, looking at your cards doesn't matter to make that choice at this stage.
If you win, then in R2 you typically let your opponent start. If you lose R1, you skip the FA in R2 again (which makes your opponent start). If you wind R1 and lose R2, you don't have any more options (because, in R2 you let your opponent start and, thus, used your FA). If you lose R1 and win R2, you use the FA in the final round... to make your opponent start ;)

That's the normal scenario that provides the ST with CA and a chance of winning.

Dominika.Skubida;n8405910 said:
We have some UI changes scheduled for next updates. :)

Thanks

I see the problem with ST-Decks but i cannot agree on game Speed.
My personal taste: I like speedy games wich becomes sometimes intresting when you realy know your Deck and what your opponent is playing.
Right now, the Deck-Pool is very colorful but in time when it is becoming more and more clear wich Decks are the strongest (Statistics), the Deck-Pool gets thinner and Game-Speed takes the Cake.
A point wich is bothering me a bit is Keg-Opening.
I know why it is made this way and i think it is nice if you dont already know and have most of the Cards, but all this clicking to see your "new" cards youve already milled by the dozens and this "Boahhh huiii" is getting annoyingly extremly fast, wich is why i play Gwent without Sound. Im a little suprised, i didnt recognised this until now. Ive shut the Sound for Gwent off 2 weeks ago and never missed it o_O

Maybe you could make an Ingame-Option to mute the Troll.
Not sure exactly how other ppl feels about these "Buhhuuuuu Shiny new Cards" Voice-Lines, but i hate them.
Maybe this has something to do with the MilkyWay Topic, idk.
He just feels wrong. Like a Pedobear-Maskot in a kids Game ...

Last edited:
I play card games without sound because I like to feel like I'm playing in my living room with my friends with real cards. Also, those repetitive sounds when you draw a card get old real fast for me.

Faustus800 Oh no! I love to troll. :)

I think it is possible to find a balance between speed and communicating what card was played. I would love to see a lightning bolt zap the target of Alzur's Thunder become more obvious, or an acidic burn from Manticore Venom etc etc. I really like the epidemic worm particles and wish more cards had a similar animation when played in terms of timing and visual clarity. Relying on the limited card history system is definitely not to way to go though.

Top Bottom