The New Open Beta Patch Information Thread

+
Nimraphel;n8552270 said:
Consume is definitely nerfed, hopefully not too much. Ekimmara is basically a compensation for the old faction ability, which got removed, so I don't see the problem here, especially not considering they can also now be locked to negate it. This is a major nerf for any Monster deck.
The thing is with Ekimmara, before you could force more cards out of your opponent after they played it, you knew he'd only keep one. Now you can play 2 or 3 of them, keep huge numbers. So you can play through your engine, get multiple huge Vrans or other bigger number cards, and then keep them with Ekimmaras. Then round 2, your opponent has to play many more cards to catch up while you can just pass. Yes, you can lock, but then you can just Ekimmara your Ekimmara to keep it again. Scorch is the only counter, and even then you can only get one.

Nimraphel;n8552270 said:
Kayran is super nerfed and NOT a Giant Toad. Kayran doesn't let you draw a card to your hand, so essentially you give the opponent Card Advantage in order to play a +5 Gold card based off what you consume. I would consider Kayran underwhelming post-patch.

Good point with Kayran, I think I'd just assumed you draw a card, yeah that is a massive nerf then. I'd say good, there needs to be some downside to consuming cards.

KasumiGoto;n8552130 said:
Priscilla Gold - ???
Seriously, Saskia is just a 7 STR golden card which gets summoned when the leader is used?...That's so...useless and boring
Morenn just damages an opposing unit by 5 but she's disloyal herself so you're trading 5 for 5 and a body? What?
Aglais seems too random because the opponent can just not run specials...
I like the new Restore
Avallac'h is Neutral, nice
Ge'els isn't a leader anymore, heh
Kayran nerfed too much
Skellige seems overally ok
Keira and Philippa are way more boring than they were before (Sabrina/Margarita too)

I'm kind of sceptical when it comes to this patch, but we'll see how it turns out.

Priscilla gold is a good thing I'd say, but that new effect makes her much more useless. Overall, all the interesting NR mechanics are changed to "just deal damage" again. Hopefully just placeholders.

I never had a huge problem with Saskia before - you needed loads of units on the board to make great use of it. Yes, it could be a bit overpowered, but it didn't need completely removing. This new one is what I thought Geralt: Yrden should be (or something similar), and doesn't really work with Saskia as a character. I wonder if they keep her dragon form somewhere else.

Morenn can be useful, but I agree, if you suspect it it's so easy to play around. Stupid change.

Assuming Savage Bear is unchanged, Skellige wound decks will likely have some problems since Priestess of Freya no longer gets stronger each round. Axemen decks will probably be fine without Savage Bears due to the weather now causing damage over time, but it will likely be difficult to run a self-wound deck that either needs to give up the Savage Bear for easy wounding or revival with Priestess of Freya.

Nimraphel;n8552270 said:
Kayran is super nerfed and NOT a Giant Toad. Kayran doesn't let you draw a card to your hand, so essentially you give the opponent Card Advantage in order to play a +5 Gold card based off what you consume. I would consider Kayran underwhelming post-patch.

I don't know, he seems pretty strong to me.
disregarding obvious cheese like consuming the new kob for an insane tempo play (30str gold), he can also consume dead cards in hand like operator shenanigans , can consume green buffed units in hand (if monsters have something like that) to basically transmute the green buff to a gold card, and etc

And it's still a "consume" buffing all your other cards reliant on consume.

worst case scenario, he's a 15* str gold that allows you to "play 2 cards simultaneously " and locks the 2nd cards stats as gold stats and procs your consume synergies. That seems pretty good for "worst case scenario "

edit: fixed his power, thought he was 5+5, but he's actually 10+5. So, basically a reverse Tibor: you get something like 20-25 gold for the cost of a bronze+a gold (as opposed to your opponent getting a bronze and you getting a 23 gold with old tibor) AND it unbricks bad cards in your hand AND it procs consume synergies.

so yeah, i don't see this as anything but really great in a consume deck (remember, OLD Kayran is still present in the form of the new leader)

Last edited:
mods btw Morren is LOYAL/AGILE not disloyal as you have written, at least the one they showed at the stream was 5 loyal/agile

I think we should not assume the game will have blatant day 1 unbalances, especially when it comes to leaders.

Anything that would take few days to discover as broken has probably been taken care of, they took their time after all.

Premium Johnny is the best
Premium Saskia is great (Please change her ability, I really want her to be useful cause I love the card so much!)
Schirru is incredibly good in my opinion, 11 points and can turn useless card into a Scorch.
Isengrim seems too weak for a gold slot though..just like Saskia.
Saesenthessis is really weird. I doubt people will play hybrid decks.
Angry Roar (or however it's called in English) looks nice (special card, turn a unit on your side into a 12 point bear)
Ithlinne looks playable now
Yaevinn and Nature's Gift are better than before I think.

Yennefer The Conjurer premium though :pride2:(still team Triss)

Saskia is not that bad in my opinion (surely not nearly as good as she is now, but she is op at the moment) but it's too early to say anything for sure.

I don't like this brave thing at first thought.

Last edited:
i like saskia actually.

with roach it adds a 10 points swing in addition to whatever you gain from your leader abilility and in addition to the leaser now having a value by himself.

and it thins a bit.

so, normally you would expect something more than 10 points from a gold, BUT this basically is 10 "free" strength, without costing a card, without costing tempo, and etc.

so it's both a card advantage and tempo gain.

seems really solid to me.

shroudb;n8554600 said:
i like saskia actually.

with roach it adds a 10 points swing in addition to whatever you gain from your leader abilility and in addition to the leaser now having a value by himself.

and it thins a bit.

so, normally you would expect something more than 10 points from a gold, BUT this basically is 10 "free" strength, without costing a card, without costing tempo, and etc.

so it's both a card advantage and tempo gain.

seems really solid to me.

True, could be a really huge move esspecially in the third round. Don't understand what you mean with card advantage though.

edit: new mulligan system will really be crucial for Saskia

Last edited:
Pretty excited for this patch, relearn gwent oh yes. Only thing i'm worried about is reveal nilfgaard which seems stupidly strong, not to mention "The Guardian" which can royally screw up games by sabotaging opponents draws.

BornBoring;n8554780 said:
Don't understand what you mean with card advantage though.

if it was played from your hand, then it would cost you 1 card. But since it's played from the deck, it doesn't. So you keep the same amount of cards, so you don't lose "card advantage"

shroudb;n8555360 said:
if it was played from your hand, then it would cost you 1 card. But since it's played from the deck, it doesn't. So you keep the same amount of cards, so you don't lose "card advantage"
Do you have a source that kayran comes from the deck?

DMaster2;n8555940 said:
Do you have a source that kayran comes from the deck?

not kayran, the quote i answered was about (my quote) about Saskia.

as for source, it's what i understood when they explained her in the stream

So after patch, u dont need to be a Math Teacher? Looks like more casual Friendly and without the Faction passiv, the Factions are , more boring i think. Its looks like it would be a whole new game in open Beta.. why isnt it still in closed after so many changes...

I agree that with such major changes that the devs didn't want to atleast give the closed beta testers 30 days to
to atleast play around with it...then reset for open beta.

I see they want everyone on an even playing field when open beta starts ...I get that

Hopefully they have been testing this set up in house for awhile now..

cuz.. Risky Play on their part

(not that I don't have faith in the devs..just saying.)

according to reddit and the polish streams, some cards changed significantly (such as saskia).

Will be interesting to see how things finally plays out.

Top Bottom