Nilfgaard has some absolutely ridiculous cards.

+
Nilfgaard has some absolutely ridiculous cards.

I won't speculate on the faction itself but man the devs really seem to favor some of their cards. I made this thread just to bring up one in particular. It's called Auckes. It's a four strength silver card that can lock TWO enemies and DAMAGE each of them by two. So not only can it lock two enemies at once but it's also an eight point swing that can potentially remove enemy cards as well. That's simply a MUCH better version of cleaver and only NG gets to use this card. Unbelievable.

So if you agree that NG has some unbelievable cards feel free to share those or comment on the one that I brought up. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it has some powerful individual cards and when you put them together... it sucks!

Strange faction... i thing it lacks synergy, i dunno. All i know is that i dont face a NG deck since i was about 3,5k.

All factions now have a faction specific lock that locks and does something.

so, SK, not only locks but simultaneously steals from YOUR graveyard.

monsters locks and displaces minions,

and etc

The patch.is not out yet, too early to.call for nerfs .

There's a 10 str card that spawns two 5 str units on the top of the enemy deck. Can't remember if it was silver or gold. It seems OP, but every faction can mulligan and throw it away, where it would be insanely OP before the patch. It also fits because NG is about control, and I want as much control as possible.

I've primarily played NG in the closed beta, and having some meaty cards is nice considering I laugh every time I see what Kayran can do in the average consume deck in a single turn.

StrykerxS77x;n8562540 said:
I won't speculate on the faction itself but man the devs really seem to favor some of their cards. I made this thread just to bring up one in particular. It's called Auckes. It's a four strength silver card that can lock TWO enemies and DAMAGE each of them by two. So not only can it lock two enemies at once but it's also an eight point swing that can potentially remove enemy cards as well. That's simply a MUCH better version of cleaver and only NG gets to use this card. Unbelievable.

So if you agree that NG has some unbelievable cards feel free to share those or comment on the one that I brought up. Thanks.
Every faction will have it's own lock monster so i don't get what's the problem. Personally the only problematic cards i've seen are the golem that **** up your draws and the gold weathers that from the ptr looks broken as ****

You can not do card for card comparsion, gotta see a big picture here. Because when faction lacks in something it makes up for it in some other way.

Hey man, my dude can lock two of your cards, just imagine i could have locked two Roaches if you had them haha.
Hey man, my dude can pull RnR/Draught and fuck your entire board, your lock included...

The same thoughts and whispers were said on these exact forums when NG was first released.

And ironically enough CDPR listened to the community and subsequently tweaked some of the cards. Resulting in the Nilfguard we see today; very clearly the weakest faction.

So, this time lets actually let CDPR do their thing and just see how well their cards perform first before we start speculating.

Trantyn;n8564730 said:
The Guardian looks insanely powerful
I agree, i'm fine with every NG cards but not with that. Screwing your opponent's topdecks round 2 and 3 it's one of the most anti-fun things in the game.

We NG kids need some love. Everyone was screaming NG was going to be OP the week before they released too, but that didn't stop The Great Sun from eating Nekker dung for 3 months.

After watching PTR, NG aint that bad. some cards may need a tweak. Only 2 cards i'd like to see rot in a garbage bin is rot tosser and the guardian.
Emhyr\decoy shenanigans with rot tosser......bleh

zhiphius;n8567640 said:
After watching PTR, NG aint that bad. some cards may need a tweak. Only 2 cards i'd like to see rot in a garbage bin is rot tosser and the guardian.
Emhyr\decoy shenanigans with rot tosser......bleh

Auckes is practically a Radovid at the moment unless they did some last minute tweaks. NG seems overbuffed both faction-wide and in terms of individual cards.

Nimraphel;n8569340 said:
Auckes is practically a Radovid at the moment unless they did some last minute tweaks. NG seems overbuffed both faction-wide and in terms of individual cards.

Im more worried about NR blue stripes shenanigans (a streamer won first round with 99 points, having been ignied for 30 points and still had 4 cards left -_-), monster (consume still seem very strong) and QG skellige than NG atm. (Queensgard can do 50+ point 1 card play at round 3 with the right deck >.< and they are also fairly powerful in round 2.)
Also worried about ST since from what i saw, they only got the one trick pony blue mountain commando going for them against the above decks. (a one trick pony that shouldnt exist either at that.)

In comparison, nilfgaard doesnt scare me that much outside what i mentioned about rot tosser and the guardian shenanigans.

Last edited:
zhiphius;n8569430 said:
Im more worried about NR blue stripes shenanigans (a streamer won first round with 99 points, having been ignied for 30 points and still had 4 cards left -_-), monster (consume still seem very strong) and QG skellige than NG atm. (Queensgard can do 50+ point 1 card play at round 3 with the right deck >.< and they are also fairly powerful in round 2.)
Also worried about ST since from what i saw, they only got the one trick pony blue mountain commando going for them against the above decks. (a one trick pony that shouldnt exist either at that.)

In comparison, nilfgaard doesnt scare me that much outside what i mentioned about rot tosser and the guardian shenanigans.

QG is too vulnerable to tech options. It has inherently super weak match-ups vs. NG (Letho & Vicovaro) and MS (Ghoul, Katakan, Griffin, Caretaker). That fact alone will keep QG from ever rising to dominance as it is too susceptible to hardcounters.

NR Blue Stripes is a legitimate concern. For Consume, I am not worried at all to be honest. If Harpies become too good (8 value just from dropping it might be too much, could easily lower it to 4 + 2), they are easy to tweak. Aside from them, consume lost its edge by other tweaks I think. It's still good, but not nearly as amazing.

zhiphius;n8569430 said:

NR blue stripes doesn't look that impressive to me because it's essentially scorch and igni bait. I saw the game you are referring to (with Merchant). Keep in mind that he only won that game due to luck.

well i've calmed down a bit, the usual "oh my god this stuff!" :p
I still think some thing needs tweaking. But atleast i know PTR is a few patches behind what CDPR is sitting with.

And yes they are scorch and igni bait. Also lacerate bait for that matter. And venom bait and...yea :p

Already thinking of running that ambush card which deals 5 damage to x amount of opposing cards when a unit is played on the opposing row of the ambush card :)

They wanted to show NG some needed love I get that but Auckes is just insanely OP for a silver card..

-Arkane;n8578970 said:
They wanted to show NG some needed love I get that but Auckes is just insanely OP for a silver card..

Agreed, but Serrit too. Serrit is the antithesis to buffed cards such as Clan Dimun Pirate Captain, Spotters, Dol Blathanna Protectors etc.... Problem is, those cards are already Scorch/G:Igni bait, therefore very risky already, and they are essential win-conditions for their archetypes. They're pretty much the way these decks maintain momentum in later rounds (aside from QG's). Serrit completely nullifies one of them scot-free. Hell, Serrit could easily be 1 power and he would still be insane...

The problem with Reveal Nilfgaard is that CDPR judged that knowing your opponent's hand has no inherent value. The value of knowing your opponent's hand - when a favourable pass can happen, when you can pressure, not to overcommit due to G:igni or Scorch, which cards to bait out before the next round, whether to play cards like Auckes or Peter Saar Gwynleve now or wait for juicier targets - was judged to have no value whatsoever; instead they added insanely powerful interactions with the opponent's hand with reveal (Sweers and Serrit most notably).

I think they made a huge mistake there, because that knowledge is invaluable. It is true that Reveal needed some interactions beyond Mangonels, and cards like Daerlan Footsoldiers, the new Impera card, and Leo Bonhart are a welcome one. However, the above-stated interactions are extremely oppressive bordering on being unhealthy for the game. I dread to think of playing Skellige vs. Reveal NG for instance; Serrit reducing Dimun Pirate Captain to 1. 2 Longships locked with Auckes. Sweers on Priestesses (if you hold on to them, you will lack r1 tempo, so lose/lose situation). Leo Bonhart nuking another beefy Pirate Captain with a revealed Spotter (the new Braenn basically). Vicovaro Medic ressing QG's or other essential cards like no tomorrow. Letho swallowing Morkvarg and/or Queensguards, banishing them.

I am not sure it will be a problem on ladder per se, it depends on how diverse the meta will become. However, in tournaments, NG has so much easily-accessible tech that it will be suicide to run entire archetypes such as Discard Skellige. And a healthy tournament life is essential to the game taking off on a wider scale and as an esport.

I still believe Skellige should have a type of "Valhalla" graveyard that could contain certain key cards (say, cards that die in battle as opposed to discarded ones), which the opponent cannot interact with. IT would still leave Skellige vulnerable (i.e. the standard play of discarding 2 QG's with Bran in order to ress next turn - would give the opposing player a 1 turn window to pull something out), but the archetype would not be completely crippled and hard-countered to the point of not seeing tournament play.

Last edited:
So I made this thread before open beta was released. I remembered it because I was watching a Gwent streamer by the name of Merchant (check out his video's) do a review of NG's cards. In merchants card reviews he gives every card a rating of 0-5. He has already reviewed Northern Realms and Monsters cards. Anyway I remembered this thread because when he came to review Auckes he gave the card his first 5 out of 5 rating! LOL. So I have to pat myself on the back a little. I knew this card was insane and it was funny to see a really good player and streamer agree in such a big way.

NG has so many ridiculous cards. Auckes is just one good example. There is no way it should be able to lock two units.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJJjbetGY1M

Oh and let's not forget Sweers. Who the hell thought it was a good idea for a SILVER card to send all copies of selected card to graveyard!? WHO!? Harpies and Nekkers are my bread and butter and guess what happens when NG uses Sweers on one of them and then decoys for another. Sorry for my language but that's just retarded.

Top Bottom