25 cards or more ?

+
25 cards or more ?

I play since some days again in ranked and noticed that a lot of players having more then 30 cards in the deck. The largest deck I did see had 50+
Is this a lack of information for beginners or has it really changed and I missed something ?

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
The maximum amount of cards you can have in a deck is 40. So, 50+ is not possible. Anyhow, with all the insane deck thinning possibilities in Open Beta, I am not surprised some players have increased their deck size.

LadyAly;n8785610 said:
I play since some days again in ranked and noticed that a lot of players having more then 30 cards in the deck. The largest deck I did see had 50+
Is this a lack of information for beginners or has it really changed and I missed something ?

You did not see 50 in a deck since you can only have 40 max. The best decks have 25, end of story. The reason for this is pretty simple; You want to draw the best cards you can in your deck. The more cards you add, the less chance you have of getting a good hand. Hope this helps you understand Those with 30+ cards in their deck are putting themselves at a severe disadvantage

TheDyingScotsman;n8786230 said:
You did not see 50 in a deck since you can only have 40 max. The best decks have 25, end of story. The reason for this is pretty simple; You want to draw the best cards you can in your deck. The more cards you add, the less chance you have of getting a good hand. Hope this helps you understand Those with 30+ cards in their deck are putting themselves at a severe disadvantage

You are wrong. This is the best NR deck and it for sure plays at least 38 cards. The way Gwent allows you to drain cards out of your library without additional costs is unique so the "play the lowest amount of cards rule to get your best cards" rule doesnt quite apply here as long as your deck has enough effects that drain it for cards.

Heres my rank 14 NR deck and the train aint stopping CHOOOO CHOOOO

This deck has the potential to play about 15 cards without ever having to draw them. A 25 deck would be too small.

http://imgur.com/a/xGLup

Last edited:
Yeah... I roll with about 30 or so. When I'm building a deck and get to 25, there's always a few more I want to get in.

CDPR introduced more cards that are summoned from your deck in this patch. Golems for NG, Blue Stripes for NR, Some combos like Saskia + Roach etc etc. You do NOT need to actually play the cards. They will be summoned from your deck. This is new Gwent right there and it is absolutely logical to have more than 25 in the deck. But be sure you have means of pulling cards out of there, otherwise you will lose. Actually the more cards you have the harder it is to master them. So, do not think it is easy-breezy. You have to think hard on what to mulligan away.

I always try to keep my deck at 25 cards max as i believe that the more cards you have, the less chance you will get valuable legendary cards.

About the 50 + - I suppose the card counter didn't work right. It was in the second round still on 36 - some in graveyard and 7 on hand. So yeah this was a moment like O_O -- but I did notice today that the counter not always counts right. Will do a screen and send as a bug if I encounter this again.

About the Numbers - I think also 25 is optimal deck. But NG has the potential to run more cards - thats sure.

If you have 25 cards you are more likely to draw your silver and golds, which should be better than bronze.
As for how many cards i should have in my deck:
How many cards you are left with after round 3? 5 is ok, if 10 or more you probably could cut something or improve cycling.
In your starting hand, do you generally get cards you want? If not then there is consistency problem and deck size cut should help.

As for big fat decks, if you want you can make deck with really many draws or which summons cards without playing. 20 cards is not even hard. However drawing cards are not always that good, or are low in power, also minion spams are vulnerable to weather and scorch/epidemy mechanic.

When mixing draw and call mechanic there is a risk that you draw your card which should be summoned, also mulligan could be more complicated, need to remove call cards and not draw another call cards.

Experiment!

Last edited:
I try to get less cards in, but i always end up with like 32 +

The thing is, i'm trying to add cards to counter all five faction cards and playstyles, it's difficult to get a low number of cards for me while still being ready to play against any faction.

SHALLAHJUSTICE the idea of ranked is not to win every game and be able to counter every archetype you might face. The goal is to have the highest winning percentage possible. Now whatever deck you build etc it will always be weak against a certain archetype(s) and changing your strategy for that archetype only will then make you vurnerable against other archetypes.

My deck with which I reached rank 6 yesterday after reaching level 10 the day before has something like 32 or 33 cards (SK buff/debuff deck so no discard deck) with lots of multiples in there. Do I always get exactly the cards I want? Surely not, but on the other hand this deck allows me to adjust my strategy during mulligan phase for round 1 depending on what enemy deck I face and which cards I drew, since it allows for a few good strategies/strategy mixes that can counter a variety of enemy decks. If I face a NG deck, for example, I make sure to keep a lot of cards that can harm my own units, like Brokvar Hunter, my Light Longships, and of course Bloodcurling Roar, which sets me up for my "buff the longships" strategy. If I face a monster deck (especially with Dagon), I will keep more First Lights if I drew more than one, although I typically mulligan doubles of this card away facing most other decks. It's not perfect but it works for me for now and allows me a certain flexibility within a single deck.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I would say my average number of cards on a deck is around 27. I keep most at 25, but on some i have up to 30, that's my personal limit.

Before i always used 25, but then i realized that's not optimal for my main deck (SK Bran) which has a lot of thinning and found on several occasions a first light to call a bronze unit wouldnt work or even didnt have more cards to draw. A recent traumatizing experience was when i was winning, but had 0 cards on deck left on R3. My opponent used Renew on my Avallach, drawed 2 cards and nothing for me, and he ended up winning... Still have nightmares with that...

Silver and Gold cards are stronger than Bronze cards.

When you go above 25 you are adding only Bronze cards.

The overall power level of your deck decreases as it is further diluted by not-goldorsilver-cards.

Thus it generally makes sense to run 25 cards, to give you the highest chances of drawing golds and silvers.

This isn't the only reason, but it's the most compelling.

Last edited:
Top Bottom