Why is ST spell deck so weak and hopeless against NG spell deck?

+
Why is ST spell deck so weak and hopeless against NG spell deck?

I keep coming up against these ST spell decks and the end result is always their BRONZE cards getting outplayed with my GOLD cards in round 3. And that's if they have any bronze cards left due to Ventre and scorch and weather. Half the time if they can't win round 1 they quit. Why do people keep running this deck? Is it because they tried to net deck and blew all their mills on ST cards?

Because NG & SK are too OP and have ridiculous units. I am waiting for the next patch, stop playing for now. ST is not a meta deck atm but the NG braindead tibor + vico apprentice plus emissaries combo; and the SK Clan Brokvar + Olgierd, Morkvarg, Wildboard combo

Last edited:
It just seems that too many people blew their loads on NR and ST and MO cards thinking they would be powerful and they guessed wrong resulting in having to wait. If I find myself in a mirror match against this deck I just put in leetho and d bomb and that seems to result in easy wins.

pthieu1986;n8792680 said:
Because NG & SK are too OP and have ridiculous units. I am waiting for the next patch, stop playing for now. ST is not a meta deck atm but the NG braindead tibor + vico apprentice plus emissaries combo; and the SK Clan Brokvar + Olgierd, Morkvarg, Wildboard combo

Honestly, the Brokvar Hunter + Olgierd, Morkvarg, Wildboar is good... But only if you really let the opponent buff the Brokvar (which you shouldn't, Brokvar start at 5 round 1, so just kill them with Thunder, Triss etc). If that happens round 1, either you can d. shackles the Wilboar, or you have enough power to directly kill the hunter... Or you just make the 1st round quick, mill some card and lose round 1. Don't play a long round 1 against such a deck if you can't counter it, it's that easy and this type of deck is good but far from broken (and much less braindead than "LOL, Tibor!", "LOL, Kayran!" or "LOL, Protector!"), mostly because they lack huge swings (they are: Shieldmaidens, Morkvarg + Crach and Coral... That's pretty much it beside Freya + 20+ Hunter).

Disclaimer: I do play a Morkvarg deck, but not with Wildboar, I play with 2x light ships instead and no Olgierd.

Last edited:
I'm playing ST spells, but it's not a netdeck. I didn't have the cards "necessary" for this deck and I didnt want to mill anything (I still think these cards will get nerfed) Instead, I used cards I have and it kinda works. It's more like a hybrid, but at least it's mine (sort of)

God_of_Eredin;n8792750 said:
It just seems that too many people blew their loads on NR and ST and MO cards thinking they would be powerful and they guessed wrong resulting in having to wait. If I find myself in a mirror match against this deck I just put in leetho and d bomb and that seems to result in easy wins.

I would argue Monsters deserve a spot up there, even if they are a little worse overall.

Monsters are still decently represented at the top - better than ST or NR for sure.

Jotun35;n8793210 said:
Honestly, the Brokvar Hunter + Olgierd, Morkvarg, Wildboar is good... But only if you really let the opponent buff the Brokvar (which you shouldn't, Brokvar start at 5 round 1, so just kill them with Thunder, Triss etc). If that happens round 1, either you can d. shackles the Wilboar, or you have enough power to directly kill the hunter... Or you just make the 1st round quick, mill some card and lose round 1. Don't play a long round 1 against such a deck if you can't counter it, it's that easy and this type of deck is good but far from broken (and much less braindead than "LOL, Tibor!", "LOL, Kayran!" or "LOL, Protector!"), mostly because they lack huge swings (they are: Shieldmaidens, Morkvarg + Crach and Coral... That's pretty much it beside Freya + 20+ Hunter).

Disclaimer: I do play a Morkvarg deck, but not with Wildboar, I play with 2x light ships instead and no Olgierd.

Well, they know how to protect their gameplay, they get all the powers to protect Morkvarg & Borkvar too: shackles, Donar, decoy, Sigrdrifa, and 03 Freya. You simply don't have enough cards to disable all Borkvar, Olgierd, Morkvarg, Wildboar at the same time, not to mention they still have the light longship too. Losing round one quickly as you say then they will mill until your last best cards in round 2, and the last round what they need to do is to resurrect those cards with veteran ability/ buffed cards.

Last edited:
It really isnt. Whoever got the card advantage third round frequently gets the match. A double shackles last round can make you burn your own cards with borkh.

Can't we just please kill the whole spell control archetype? I am serious here, I am having freeze mage PTSD every time I face one of these boring, non interactive decks. I hope it is not me alone

Uuum, both Spellatael and Spellgaard are pretty meh already. I have no idea why people still play these decks, when it's so easy to win against them...

NlelithZ44;n8795560 said:
Uuum, both Spellatael and Spellgaard are pretty meh already. I have no idea why people still play these decks, when it's so easy to win against them...

Not all players know how to play AGAINST it. Its pretty easy to climb the ladder with those.

Those builds are like Evelyn was on league of legends beta; easiest champ to counter, but the best champ to stomp noobs.

Laveley;n8795640 said:
Not all players know how to play AGAINST it. Its pretty easy to climb the ladder with those.

Those builds are like Evelyn was on league of legends beta; easiest champ to counter, but the best champ to stomp noobs.
That's exactly why I find these decks as not a good option to climb the ladder. Maybe it's just my luck, though.

NlelithZ44;n8795670 said:
That's exactly why I find these decks as not a good option to climb the ladder. Maybe it's just my luck, though.

Why? because they win against not so-good players? If you know how to play those builds, you can enter top1k right now with them without taking a sweat. For a f2p is a great way to farm rank rewards.

What's up with these alba pikemen containing decks that rely on assire and vilgefortz that Mogwai told people to use in ranked lol? I'm crushing that deck right now.

Laveley;n8795720 said:
Why? because they win against not so-good players? If you know how to play those builds, you can enter top1k right now with them without taking a sweat. For a f2p is a great way to farm rank rewards.
I meant that I don't get matched up with not so-good players in ranked anymore. ST was a good way to climb the ladder for a couple of days, but now everyone just pushes both rounds against these decks. At least in my experience.

Top Bottom